• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Steroyd said:
AnimeGAF is now complete.

Battle Girls Time Crap

The strong start to the season has spoiled me, a nice dose of reality that not every show is watchable was in order.

I watched this for the LOL, but the start is amusng enough, everyone in here should try it out!

I was expecting it to be same story as the game that it based on... oh well... all female cast works for me too!

Index ep 1-4

Cwarrior said:
Dear god, I feel like bashing my skull open after hearing this guy's god damn fucking retarded Speeches, at this point loli nun ain't got shit on him in the annoying department. gaf warned me about the loli nun but this guys is far worse.

The character abilities look interesting (railgun) too bad there just light shows and are harmless.

ehh there teacher a 4 year old girl who smokes and drinks o_0

The MC does this little half episode long speech before every freaking fight. Just a little warning.

trejo

Hen Semi OVA 2

So they're making a TV show outta this, huh? I wonder how that's gonna work out what with the whole thing revolving around sex and fetishes. I kinda like this, for some reason.

Wes

venison crêpe
Going solely by the first couple of episodes, what should I not be missing this season? (Forgive me for not trawling through the past 41 pages!)

Wes said:
Going solely by the first couple of episodes, what should I not be missing this season? (Forgive me for not trawling through the past 41 pages!)

My micro reviews of stuff aired so far:

X-Men: Leagues ahead of the other marvel anime, but not amazing by any means. First episode was average, but the next one looks cool based on the preview.

Steins;Gate: Potentially confusing yet interesting. Also has Dr. Pepper. Fans of Chaos;head should like it.

Tiger and Bunny: Has the potential to be the surprise of the season. A very interesting take on a superhero world.

Dog Days: I like it and I will be shocked if anyone else does.

Nichijou: Requires a certain sense of humor. Very hit or miss with few taking the middle ground.

Nana to Kaoru: Boring.

trejo

Wes said:
Hanasaku Iroha is so far the best of what's currently out, I'd say.

Tiger & Bunny, X-men and Nichijou all have some potential to be good but the jury is still out on them.

There's also Kaiji S2, which is a must. Fuck yeah.

Swag

JKTrix said:
It's called Vasocongestion--a real thing. Also called 'sex flush' I guess, but it's the same process that your aroused body goes through that makes you erect.
Wow, and here I thought they added it purely for dramatic effect. Thanks for the science.
cosmicblizzard said:
Nana to Kaoru: Boring.
It's better if you've read the manga as you won't get the super condensed version of the story, although even having read the manga it was still a bit boring midway.

tl;dr, manga's better

Wes

venison crêpe
I did watch the first 10 minutes of Steins Gate but was only semi-paying attention. Seemed like the kind of thing I'd have to give my full attention another time...

tiff

Banned
Wes said:
I've only seen Hanasaku Iroha so far but it's really really good.

MCD

Cwarrior said:
Index ep 1-4

headbash.gif

Dear god, I feel like bashing my skull open after hearing this guy's god damn fucking retarded Speeches, at this point loli nun ain't got shit on him in the annoying department. gaf warned me about the loli nun but this guys is far worse.

The character abilities look interesting (railgun) too bad there just light shows and are harmless.

ehh there teacher is a 8 year old girl who smokes and drinks o_0
Looks like KAMIJO TOUMA MUST BREAK ANOTHER ILLUSION.

GRIT YOUR TEETH

flawfuls

Wes said:

Well I think everybody else has mostly covered it, but I would just like to add that only a fraction of the shows have aired so far so you should probably check back in two weeks or so to find out how everything turned out. That being there are already plenty of good shows this season.

Dali

zeroshiki said:
Don't listen to these fools. Index is a quality series especially at the start. Bail out after the Sisters arc though. And just go for Railgun from there.
wtf?

The sister stuff is the worst part of the series? After trying to watch S1 several times and quitting after a few episodes, I just went back to it at the suggestion of someone here and started at something like ep18 and it was pretty awesome. Railgun is better and you don't need to watch Index to understand or enjoy it, but Index 1 & 2 is actually pretty good if you avoid all the stupid church stuff as much as possible.

Season three should be pretty awesome as well. Seems
Accelerator is getting his own team like sort of a bizarro Touma strike force
and I also anticipate it to finally make the transition to full-blown harem show. Of course, I'd be completely content with JC staff never looking back at Index and doing another season of Railgun or Okami-san instead.

zeroshiki

Dali said:
wtf?

The sister stuff is the worst part of the series? After trying to watch S1 several times and quitting after a few episodes, I just went back to it at the suggestion of someone here and started at something like ep18 and it was pretty awesome. Railgun is better and you don't need to watch Index to understand or enjoy it, but Index 1 & 2 is actually pretty good if you avoid all the stupid church stuff as much as possible.

Season three should be pretty awesome as well. Seems
Accelerator is getting his own team like sort of a bizarro Touma strike force
and I also anticipate it to finally make the transition to full-blown harem show. Of course, I'd be completely content with JC staff never looking back at Index and doing another season of Railgun or Okami-san instead.

The Sisters arc is the Railgun+Accelerator stuff. You might be confused about the naming.

MCD

Railgun bosses are better but overall, the show is just another little girls only show.

In other words, shit.

Dali

zeroshiki said:
The Sisters arc is the Railgun+Accelerator stuff. You might be confused about the naming.
Guess so. I thought you were talking about something church related.
It just occurred to me you were talking about the Misaka clones.
Were you the person that told me to start with ep18 of season 1?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Wes said:
Pretty early to say right now - but Hanasaku Iroha is the only show i consider a must-see at this point.

Although nichijou, x-men, and tiger and bunny are all competent enough.

zeroshiki

Dali said:
Guess so. I thought you were talking about something church related.
It just occurred to me you were talking about the Misaka clones.
Were you the person that told me to start with ep18 of season 1?

Probably not because I'd have told you watch everything. Anyone else in this thread would have told you to start there though.

Index is only good when it focuses on the Science side of the story. The magic side is all just religious jargon, and makes absolutely zero sense half the time. The science characters are also infinitely more interesting, whereas the mages are like "lol my god is better than your god"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Honey and Clover: Why do people like the loli again? And when people say she acts 12, that's a lie. It's more like 7 or 8. 2nd, why do I get this feeling her cousin likes her too?

trejo

shintoki said:
Honey and Clover: Why do people like the loli again? And when people say she acts 12, that's a lie. It's more like 7 or 8. 2nd, why do I get this feeling her cousin likes her too?
Hehe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just read the wiki entry for Accelerator.

W. T. F. What is all this jargon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
shintoki said:
I honestly haven't seen anyone who actually likes the loli. It's universally agreed that she is the worst part of the show.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 11

"You're going to ruin that fabulous dress."

fabulous%20dress.JPG

"Have you ever found yourself moist with tears of shame?" Vetti has the most amazing lines.

Ahahaha this backstory is amazing.

Oh wow, Rachel. Advocating suicide for victims of pedophilia?

"Vetti, I'm your mother now put some clothes on." This episode is a gold mine.

parent%20pile.JPG

Everyone on the parent pile!

sea%20of%20fire.JPG

This scene should win some kind of award for the worst animated grass of all time.

clowns.JPG

I know I'd feel better if these people joined my cause.

Halycon said:
I just read the wiki entry for Accelerator.

W. T. F. What is all this jargon.

A sadistic boy about the same age as Tōma, he has an ability called "Vector Change", a form of telekinesis allowing him to change the vector values of anything he touches due in part of having a thin coat of AIM fields surrounding his body. This ability allows Accelerator perform feats such as reversing the blood flow inside a person's body, increasing the wind velocity around him to create a massive plasma storm, and blocking sound. His ability is automatic, which means that he must consciously allow gravity to affect him and that his body blocks all ultraviolet radiation, resulting his albino appearance (white hair and pale skin) because his body is unable to make melanin. The automatic nature of Redirection also prevents the use of projectiles (like bullets) and explosives (like bombs) against him.

I see no problem here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What about:
When she is being invaded by outsiders or injured, her self-protection system personality, John's Pen (自動書記 (ヨハネのペン) Jidō Shoki?, "Automatic Writing"), will be activated to allow her to use magic to cast high-class magic attacks such as St. George's Sanctuary (聖ジョージの聖域 (セントじょーじのせいいき) Sei Jōji no Seīki?, "Sanctuary of St. George") and Dragon's Breath (竜王の殺息 (ドラゴンブレス) Ryūō no Satsu Iki?, "Killing Breath of the Dragon King"). Her self-protection system will use the Feather of Light (光の羽 Hikari no Hane?) to force a reset on Index's own memory should a manual reset fail to be performed. Although she does not know that she has magical powers, she can easily identify the types of magic by seeing it or somebody describing it to her and know how to counter them. Her vast knowledge of the Index-Librorum-Prohibitorum within her mind makes her to be one of the most powerful characters so far and becomes very helpful to her friends in various situations using skills like Spell Intercept (強制詠唱 (スペルインターセプト) Kyōsei Eishō?, "Force Chant"), and Sheol Fear ((魔滅の声 (シェオールフィア) Mametsu no Koe?, "Voice of Destruction of Evil") and makes her a target of interest for many.
Or
He also takes a more heroic role by protecting a young girl named Last Order, the last Misaka clone who believes through the memories of the Sister clones who fought him, Accelerator is not bad person and actually never wanted to hurt the clones and tried frightening or telling them not to fight him, a theory Accelerator dismisses. In the aftermath of the incident, Accelerator is shot in the head by Ao Amai, damaging his brain and severely limiting the use of his power. Accelerator returns in the eighth novel whith an electrode made by Heaven Canceler that links his brain with the Misaka Network, with this he is able to use half of his powers but the battery of the electrode can only allow him to use them for 15 minutes and due to the injury he suffered, he is forced to use a cane. Toward the end of volume 13, Accelerator begins to "awaken" after nearly being killed by Amata Kihara and truly "awakens" in volume 15, gaining Black Wings, when fighting another "awakened" level 5, Teitoku Kakine showing he no longers needs to touch in order to use his powers. In the events of the 19th novel he meets Aiwass, a higher dimensional being, summoned to their plane of existence. Aiwass explains to him when AIM entities like him are manifested, Last Order is heavily strained and may die if left untreated. To help Last Order, who has collapsed from sustaining Aiwass, Accelerator follows Aiwass advice and heads to Russia during World War III in search of Index, unaware that he has met her before.
In Russia, after being ambushed by Russian mages, he acquires the "Goatskin", a mysterious document sought after by both Academy City and the Russian government that has the knowledge about the Archangels and Heaven, and later runs into a Misaka WORST clone, learning that Aleister intends to eliminate Last Order, now obsolete to create a new Misaka network. Despite being more powerful than the Misaka WORST clone, Accelerator is unable to bring himself to harm another clone after the Level 6 experiment and becomes mentally unstable after the clone attempts to kill Last Order and later tries to kill herself. Accelerator goes on a rampage until Tōma arrives where he turns his frustration regarding Last Order's condition onto Tōma and a fight ensues between the two. After Accelerator is defeated again, Tōma uses his Imagine Breaker to stabilize Last Order and leaves a note informing him of Index's true whereabouts. Later, he joins forces with Elizarinian soldiers and Misaka WORST to find spies in their country, and fought Archangel Gabriel along with Hyōka, where after studying the Goatskin, he learns to understand the angels language turning him into an angel as a side effect. With his new powers, he is able to decode one of Index's songs and was finally able to cure Last Order but is injured in the process.

Geneijin

Glass Fleet - 23
BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Also, what rivers? I just see huge bodies of water.

Dali

zeroshiki said:
Just reading makes me even more pissed off about how Accelerator was so overpowered and Toma had to plothax his way out of it.
I didn't realize his reflection was supposed to be automatic, yet it
seemed to be a pretty conscious and deliberate thing he had to do when he got shot in the head. After he was shot in the head, his connection to the Misaka network was for calculations. Meaning if it was automatic he wouldn't be doing any calculations thus he should be able to use it evenwhen Accelerator mode wasn't activated.

Of course you've got to look past little things like this. Otherwise you'd complain about how Touma's imagine break not only stops the magic/science behind an attack, but also the momentum of any objects being carried by said attack.

Halycon said:
What about:

Or
Rarely an issue as Touma would rather protect the helpless woman in classic shounen fashion than draw the exponentially more powerful person into a battle that would result int he episode being over after a few minutes that could result in her getting injured.

see also: History's Greatest Disciple: Kenichi

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, dude isn't just hax, he's friggin auto-hax. That's the most hax kind of hax.

Did he lose the auto hax when he got brain damage or does it still work as long as his neck thingy is on?

Swag

Nanasaki Ai

Probably the second best arc so far, Yukana and her amazing voice carrying an otherwise mediocre character through the stratosphere. It was nice that Nanasaki was aware of the perverted ways of Junichi and played that to her advantage instead of doing the typical angry anime girl reaction.

Also this arc had Mumra

tiff

Banned
Branduil said:
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen and I just watched 11 episodes of Glass Fleet.
i wonder what would happen if he momentarily forgot to keep gravity on. would he just fly off tangentially to the earth's surface or what.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Steins;gate 1 - Eh, probably the worst show of the season. (so far) the setting and story seem interesting enough, but i found the direction throughout to be awkward, and it failed to engage me in any meaningful way, i will be keeping a eye out on how the rest of the series goes, but I'm not exactly sure if i will watch a another episode.:p I'd say it does have potential based on what is shown so far, should probably hold off judgment till a few more episodes come out.

Sorry infi-kun.;_;

flawfuls

tiff said:
i wonder what would happen if he momentarily forgot to keep gravity on. would he just fly off tangentially to the earth's surface or what.

I don't think physics works that way. I'm pretty sure he would just float. He actually does fly around every so often, but he uses crazy wind wings things.

trejo

Steins;gate 1

Yeah, I'm with Lafiel on this one. Direction was basically all over the place and events didn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to them, plus the short-haired girl is kinda annoying. This is my first real disappointment of the season.

Main character reminds me of the one from Welcome to the NHK with the whole secret organization ramblings.

And yet I'm still going to be checking more episodes out because I liked the design of the cat-eared maid in the OP. Oh well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Lafiel said:
Steins;gate 1 - Eh, probably the worst show of the season. (so far) the setting and story seem interesting enough, but i found the direction throughout to be awkward, and it failed to engage me in any meaningful way, i will be keeping a eye out on how the rest of the series goes, but I'm not exactly sure if i will watch a another episode.:p I'd say it does have potential based on what is shown so far, should probably hold off judgment till a few more episodes come out.

Sorry infi-kun.;_;
Honestly it's fine. They really rushed through the prologue chapter, so it was kinda disjointed while keeping all the stuff that will be relevant to the story. I assume they are are trying to fast forward over to the end of Chapter 1 and get things started, but if not I'll stab White Fox.

Next episode should see Ruka, Feiris, and start with Kurisu's symposium. I'm not sure if they'll have enough time to get to the end of Chapter 1 even if they are speeding through the introduction phases.

trejo said:
Steins;gate 1

Yeah, I'm with Lafiel on this one. Direction was basically all over the place and events didn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to them, plus the short-haired girl is kinda annoying. This is my first real disappointment of the season.

Main character reminds me of the one from Welcome to the NHK with the whole secret organization ramblings.

And yet I'm still going to be checking more episodes out because I liked the design of the cat-eared maid in the OP. Oh well.
Why don't you love Mayushii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom