• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Kaiji S2

Well Kaiji is still great. Kaiji sure has regressed a lot since last season, but I assume he will man up soon enough. Also what the hell was that terrifying eyecatch?

Edit: Hahaha @ the ending. Does that character actually exist or are they just messing around?

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
Meido meido~!
Looking good, but your room is a fucking mess, dude.
jman2050 said:
I imagine it was pretty difficult to really "sell" the show, given its ostensible premise. Or alternatively Aniplex is apprehensive about licensed streaming. Not sure which.
Probably just a combination of the costs involved+Japanese companies being obstinate. Stuff like Hoshizora or Battle Girls probably came in bundled with sacks of cocaine.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I imagined InfiniteNine as this pasty nerdy looking white guy, I don't know what to think anymore.
But isn't that just what you assume everyone on the internet looks like?

duckroll

Branduil said:
The fact that Madoka wasn't streamed still shows we have a long way to go.

I don't think it is that simple. Star Driver wasn't streamed either. That's another "big" Aniplex show which most people expected to get streamed. The last two shows on that MBS timeslot were streamed: FMA:B and Sengoku Basara 2.

It doesn't mean things are going backwards or not moving forward. It just means that the rights don't always work out the same way for every show. Panty and Stocking got streamed day and date. That alone shows that the industry has caught up in a very significant way in terms of legit options for watching even the most niche shows.

jman2050

Jexhius said:
But isn't that just what you assume everyone on the internet looks like?

I guess it's just the haunting realization that anyone I see out in the streets regardless of appearance could potentially be a drug-tasting cross-dressing lolicon-obsessed otaku with a fetish for maid outfits and I would never ever know about it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Looking good, but your room is a fucking mess, dude.
It's just the closet really which is the area next to me. The rest of the room is clean though! I should probably straighten up while I'm in this.

duckroll

InfiniteNine said:
It's just the closet really which is the area next to me. The rest of the room is clean though! I should probably straighten up while I'm in this.

I think the better question is, why the fuck are you taking pictures in your closet. Lol.

Branduil

duckroll said:
I don't think it is that simple. Star Driver wasn't streamed either. That's another "big" Aniplex show which most people expected to get streamed. The last two shows on that MBS timeslot were streamed: FMA:B and Sengoku Basara 2.

It doesn't mean things are going backwards or not moving forward. It just means that the rights don't always work out the same way for every show. Panty and Stocking got streamed day and date. That alone shows that the industry has caught up in a very significant way in terms of legit options for watching even the most niche shows.
If the shows I want to watch aren't being streamed, it's not moving forward. That's my selfish view and I'm sticking to it.

Jex

jman2050 said:
I guess it's just the haunting realization that anyone I see out in the streets regardless of appearance could potentially be a drug-tasting cross-dressing lolicon-obsessed otaku with a fetish for maid outfits and I would never ever know about it.
Don't worry, from my experience, most of the time those people look the part.

jman2050

duckroll said:

So I'm assuming you think this is an Aniplex thing?

Chemo

Kaiji was fucking AWESOME. This shit is practically tailor made for anyone who has struggled with any kind of addiction. So good.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
We should get Infi to draw what he thinks we all look like.
I think you just did.

I'll be throwing up my Kaiji thread after I watch the first episode. Admittedly there isn't much in their but I still feel that it deserves it's own thread.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
duckroll said:
I think the better question is, why the fuck are you taking pictures in your closet. Lol.
I'm not, that area next to me is the closet with the mirror/door taken off. I did it so I could put my TV in there to arrange it a certain way, but the problem is I have a ton of empty boxes from packages I've ordered and old clothes that I wore in middle school in there.

duckroll

jman2050 said:
So I'm assuming you think this is an Aniplex thing?

In what sense? That they make licensing stuff a little harder than other licensors, especially in regards to what they consider their top-tier shows which they have aspirations of releasing in the US themselves under Aniplex USA?

Yes, absolutely.

InfiniteNine said:
I'm not, that area next to me is the closet with the mirror/door taken off. I did it so I could put my TV in there to arrange it a certain way, but the problem is I have a ton of empty boxes from packages I've ordered and old clothes that I wore in middle school in there.

Translation: My room is a fucking mess. :)

jman2050

duckroll said:
In what sense? That they make licensing stuff a little harder than other licensors, especially in regards to what they consider their top-tier shows which they have aspirations of releasing in the US themselves under Aniplex USA?

Yes, absolutely.

Well when you put it that way it just makes me sound stupid.

You hurt my feelings! :(

duckroll

jman2050 said:
Well when you put it that way it just makes me sound stupid.

You hurt my feelings! :(

Yeah well, I have to put up with your avatar, which constantly reminds me that we will NOT be getting a Madoka episode this week either! So I think we've even!

jman2050

duckroll said:
Yeah well, I have to put up with your avatar, which constantly reminds me that we will NOT be getting a Madoka episode this week either! So I think we've even!

Um well... shit someone help me out here.

InfiniteNine said:
I like girls! ;___;

Middle schoolers don't count.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
Thank you! I really need to think of some nice poses since I've just been taking pictures for the past hour trying whatever. x3;
pfD4e.jpg

Hm.

Solune said:
I am expecting Geneijin to post a gif of the new sex hair.
When did I become known as the .gif guy?

Solune

jman2050 said:
Um well... shit someone help me out here.
Middle schoolers don't count.
He's baiting people into hoping for Breath of Fire 6 in that Dragon's Dogma teasing thread =p
Geneijin said:
When did I become known as the .gif guy?
Since you posted Sex Hair Kaoru, Umasou, and those numerous Glass Fleet gifs =p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Didn't P&S also got taken off soon after the last episode aired? Or was that some other show?

There are still some wackiness when it comes to rights lapsing and all that as well. I think the perfect future of all media being available all the time from anywhere in the world is probably never going to happen.

I just wonder if there are Japanese HBO nerds who are pissing off HBO by ripping and subbing Treme or A Song of Ice and Fire. This stuff will get out there and it just makes sense to take whatever money Funimation, ANN, TAN or CR is offering than lose out on that revenue entirely.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
I just wonder if there are Japanese HBO nerds who are pissing off HBO by ripping and subbing Treme or A Song of Ice and Fire. This stuff will get out there and it just makes sense to take whatever money Funimation, ANN, TAN or CR is offering than lose out on that revenue entirely.

Where's that Spongebob otaku comic when we need it...

Articalys said:
Oh c'mon, it's an anime thread and you didn't post this AMV instead?

I'm once again reminded that despite being a throwaway character, Kaorin always had the best facial expressions in this show.

firehawk12 said:
Didn't P&S also got taken off soon after the last episode aired? Or was that some other show?

There are still some wackiness when it comes to rights lapsing and all that as well. I think the perfect future of all media being available all the time from anywhere in the world is probably never going to happen.

We'll never get everything streamed (I'm 100% positive that we're never going to get a Pokemon simulcast, for example), but we are getting more than ever before.

There's still some wackiness going on, and it seems to depend on a lot on certain companies (such as Aniplex). As far as revenue goes, Aniplex may believe that a streaming version of Madoka would cut out on a significant amount of money that could be made by a video release in the US (which could be more than whatever CR would be offering them).

I'm just happy that there hasn't been any noticeable fallout from the Fractale situation from a few months ago. There are a lot of reasons for companies to be skittish given how there's still a lot of piracy even when shows are getting simulcasted.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:

Hmmm? US TV shows do get subbed by Japanese fans, yes. Although just like with anime, the people subtitling it are not the ones ripping it. Anime is generally ripped by Japanese fans, and US TV shows are ripped by people in the US and Canada.

jman2050

KuwabaraTheMan said:
There's still some wackiness going on, and it seems to depend on a lot on certain companies (such as Aniplex). As far as revenue goes, Aniplex may believe that a streaming version of Madoka would cut out on a significant amount of money that could be made by a video release in the US (which could be more than whatever CR would be offering them).

I am now imagining an unsuspecting US mom looking at the cute colorful Madoka volume 1 cover at some seedy mom and pop video rental store and buying it for her innocent 6-year old daughter.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
jman2050 said:
I am now imagining an unsuspecting US mom looking at the cute colorful Madoka volume 1 cover at some seedy mom and pop video rental store and buying it for her innocent 6-year old daughter.
Ah, the joys of ignorance.

duckroll

KuwabaraTheMan said:

Nah, Aniplex has nothing against streaming. Anything which is not streamed usually means that the streaming outlets decided not to pick up a series because of the price tag. Notice that in general, Aniplex shows which stream have been going to ANN and CR. Both sites charge for simulcasting, instead of offering it free like FUNimation.

Food for thought!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Aniplex is weird in that they gave CR their Anime no Chikara shows. I wonder if that was meant to be a test or if those were, in the parlance of the gaming forum, "sent to die". And it's not like their shows are being snapped up quickly either... unless someone is working feverishly on a Bakemono deal or something. And hell, Sora no Woto is getting a RightStuf release and that's with both DVD only episodes being streamed on CR!

I'm just happy that there hasn't been any noticeable fallout from the Fractale situation from a few months ago. There are a lot of reasons for companies to be skittish given how there's still a lot of piracy even when shows are getting simulcasted.
The One Piece and OreImo things I kind of understand, but the Fractale thing was ridiculous.
You can't stop that stuff, especially since it's Japanese nerds doing the ripping. Probably the only thing they could do is make capture cards or high speed internet connections illegal.

duckroll said:
Hmmm? US TV shows do get subbed by Japanese fans, yes. Although just like with anime, the people subtitling it are not the ones ripping it. Anime is generally ripped by Japanese fans, and US TV shows are ripped by people in the US and Canada.
Right. Part of the problem is that people want to watch stuff the moment it airs, regardless of where they are from or what language it is in or whatever. It's why at one point, Australians were apparently the biggest downloaders of TV/per capita in the world.

With live action TV it's a bit trickier because this stuff actually has a chance of being sold and airing on TV internationally, but a Japanese dude can't subscribe to HBO even if he wanted to. Streaming shows to him, rather than have guys take a 720p rip and sub it, must be the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom