• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unknown Soldier said:
Speaking of meido cosplay:

http://www.royal-t.org/

I wonder if anybody's ever been to this place. It is, as far as anybody knows, the first maid cafe in the United States. Yeah, like the ones in Japan. >_>
They went there on the first episode of that America's Otakus show Viz is doing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Unknown Soldier said:
Speaking of meido cosplay:

http://www.royal-t.org/

I wonder if anybody's ever been to this place. It is, as far as anybody knows, the first maid cafe in the United States. Yeah, like the ones in Japan. >_>
That much space in LA? That place is doomed. Rent has to be $50,000 a month.
Dresden said:
The whole episode got me so hungry for yakitori and some beer.
http://i.imgur.com/wuiZd.jpg
[http://i.imgur.com/LqgKm.jpg

90% of budget is spent on food and eating

Mai-Hime 7

Oh hey, they already got out of the monster of the week formula. Things are starting to get mildly interesting. But damn, Nao was really trying to kill them. That's gotta have consequences, especially since the white-haired kid was there.

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 7

Oh hey, they already got out of the monster of the week formula. Things are starting to get mildly interesting. But damn, Nao was really trying to kill them. That's gotta have consequences, especially since the white-haired kid was there.

HO HO HO

It's only just begun.

Damn, Mai Hime was awesome. Mai Otome was a pile of crap in comparison.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kaiji Season 2 Episode 01:
Started off a bit differently from the manga, but same result since Endoh is pissed!
Oh Kaiji, breaking down so easily with such a small nudge. You're better than that!
ibvix.jpg

Uchip

Banned
zeroshiki said:
HO HO HO

It's only just begun.

Damn, Mai Hime was awesome. Mai Otome was a pile of crap in comparison.

nah
theyre both mindless fun
the good kind with silly anime cliches
they just swapped out panty thieves and replaced it with a tentacle monster in otome

Instro

Kaiji S2 Ep 1

One episode in and Kaiji is already fucked. Seems like he lost all the knowledge he gained during the previous gambles.

Also is it just me or is the narrator even more intense this time around? So dramatic.

I haven't watched any new shows in fuggin ages... unfortunately this has meant that my anime consumption has been seriously in decline and that makes me sad :(

I just found out about Solty Rei so I'm about to start that tonight - EXCITE!

But... everything else from most seasons just sucks the big fat balltard.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Slam Dunk 03: Everything and anything happens in Japanese schools except actual studying.

Slam Dunk 04-05: How is this wanker still not in jail? Ayako > Haruko

Pokémon Best Wishes! 20: A non-tournament episode of Pokeymen that didn't suck? Very little in the way of reused animation and the Sandile's interactions with Ash were entertaining.

Duckletts are jerks. Oshawott is still stealing every scene he's in. They should make a show about him.

Dresden

Steins Gate:

Eh... I'm going to assume that all the disjointed flow and weird cuts and shit is meant to mirror Okabe's confusion regarding the time-travel bizness. Will watch more, though. The soft fuzzy static-noise that's layered throughout the whole episode is annoying.

Miyano sure sounds like Lulu in this role. All the hot sex they had while doing Star Driver must have rubbed off on him. Okabe kinda carries the show.

Geneijin

Solune said:
No I have but it's always nice to have sex hair archived somewhere. But I'm sure you get others than myself to watch shows based on gifs alone. Look at Umasou. I'm not touching Glass Fleet within a 10 ft pole though.
It'll just serve to give the wrong impression of a moe anime to those unknowing.

rbC8n.gif

RFqoW.gif

RTIB8.gif

Edit: Ah, forgot about the [/url]. [/img]!

Pachael said:
Hayate is a great source for that.
Chapter 313 was great. :lol

trejo

Kaiji S2 1

Well, it seems Kaiji has lost all his edge. Let's hope he wisens the fuck up soon.

I hadn't realized it before but now I'm gonna have to deal with cliffhangers. :(

Lafiel said:
Steins;gate 1 - Eh, probably the worst show of the season. (so far) the setting and story seem interesting enough, but i found the direction throughout to be awkward, and it failed to engage me in any meaningful way, i will be keeping a eye out on how the rest of the series goes, but I'm not exactly sure if i will watch a another episode.:p I'd say it does have potential based on what is shown so far, should probably hold off judgment till a few more episodes come out.

Sorry infi-kun.;_;
Worst of the season? That's unlikely, that'd mean it'd actually have to be worse than Sengoku Otome... haven't watched that show (yet) though. Not sure if I'm interested.

On that note, Sengoku Otome 01 is horrible. It's apparently based off of a pachinko franchise, like Rio Rainbow Gate, so expectations should be very low, and that's what it is. It was so bad, I just couldn't force myself to watch the whole episode. It's basically another "person from the modern world gets pulled into the past/an alternate world of fantasy", with gender-swapped versions of the characters. You know, like other things in the genre, except awful. The main character's a not too smart girl who acts (in ep. 1) like one of the stupider characters in a group-of-girls comedy series. She's somewhat annoying at times. She gets pulled into the Sengoku era through a portal in a shrine she was visiting, except in this Sengoku era all the leaders are gender-swapped, like Koihime Musou (except not as good as even the worst season of that show, and with a person from modern times, which there wasn't in the Koihime Musou anime.), etc.

On that note, Oda Nobunaga? But Nobunaga is usually evil in anime, Japanese videogames, etc... it's funny, the winner (of the wars of the Sengoku) is considered a villain, but he is. I wonder if this one will end up that way too, opposite gender or not. Wouldn't surprise me. But overall, based on the part of the episode I watched, annoying main character, not too good plot, etc, etc... it was pretty bad. But considering what it's based on that shouldn't be surprising. Not sure if I'll go back and try to finish the episode.

Oh, the English title apparently is "Battle Girls: Time Paradox" but changing "Sengoku" to "Battle", while maybe linguistically accurate, loses the specific reference that it's referring to, the decades of warfare in the 16th century called Sengoku, or "the era of the country at war" I believe. The reference should be left in, I think.

Dog Days - Basically the same thing as the above (earth person taken into a fantasy world), but with a guy main character, which means I imagine he'll have a harem soon enough. All of the people in this fantasy world are animal-people, so the main goodguys are dog people, the villains (in this episode) lion/cat people. That's just wrong, cats are good and dogs are evil... :)

The show is generically bad as expected... that is, until we see the nature of the "combat" in this world. That was amusing, I admit. They don't kill anyone, they fight without actually hurting people and turn into a chibi animal form when "hurt". There's an announcer too, and points depending on how far the attackers can get into the defender's territory... but apparently this game does have real consequences, for you lose your castle if you lose. Um, maybe. Maybe not, and it's just the psychological damage of losing a lot that they're worried about. I'm not entirely sure really.

Anyway, it's definitely bad, but at least it's a little bit amusing.

Steroyd

A Black Falcon said:
On that note, Oda Nobunaga? But Nobunaga is usually evil in anime, Japanese videogames, etc... it's funny, the winner (of the wars of the Sengoku) is considered a villain, but he is. I wonder if this one will end up that way too, opposite gender or not. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure, if this Nobunaga will be "evil" if the OP is anything to go by.

Crap, first episode of Toriko has been subbed and I've only read one chapter of the manga, oh noes. D:

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) Take a moderately attractive girl
2) Slap some cat ears and a tail on her
3) Increase moe a thousandfold

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Nobunaga is a cool dude in Sengoku Rance~
the chillest warlord.

"You can go ahead and conquer a few territories, Rance, I don't care. But try not to go overboard; war's kinda a bummer."

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 2 - Well taiga does get a lot better after the first episode, but she is still just a stupid "tsundere".

Steroyd

Kaiji S2 - 01

Wow his bout with Hyodou must have played on his mind alot, turned straight up junkie.

And now I know why women didn't exist in Season 1 lmao.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Steroyd said:
Kaiji S2 - 01

Wow his bout with Hyodou must have played on his mind alot, turned straight up junkie.

And now I know why women didn't exist in Season 1 lmao.
Come on there was like 4 in the background of Season 1! One of them even had one line!

Steroyd

InfiniteNine said:
Come on there was like 4 in the background of Season 1! One of them even had one line!

REALLY!? Damn I must have had a male only filter on or something, I'm sexist without even knowing it. :(

Index II 13

"...and I wouldn't have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your stupid festival!"

Really? They spent five episodes on this arc only to end it like that? Really? And why would they even try to do something like this in a city in a first place? It's been years since I took a science class, but I was kinda under the impression that you can't see the stars well in the first place. I... just... agh! Well, the scene with the plane was kinda amusing at least. I never thought I'd be saying something like this, but I actually prefer the harem elements in this show--at least you're not supposed to take that seriously.

And looks like we have more magic shenanigans with Mr. Punch and Hungry Loli in Italy! Oh boy, I can't wait to see what well thought out ending this one will have!

S-stupid show, it's not like I like you or anything...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 3 - Minorin is so adorable~ and taiga gives me creepy stalker vibes.>_>

Edit - Toradora 4 - So wait, a guy confesses to her, she instantly rejects him, then after wards she falls in love with him? now that is some screwed up tsundere behavior.:lol

zeroshiki

Tiger and Bunny 01 - Maybe they went just a teensy bit nuts with the product placement. On the other hand, For some reason, I'm talking on my Softbank phone, eating some Calbee chips and drinking my Pepsi Nex. LOL.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Tiger and Bunny 01 - Maybe they went just a teensy bit nuts with the product placement. On the other hand, For some reason, I'm talking on my Softbank phone, eating some Calbee chips and drinking my Pepsi Nex. LOL.
More like hilarious placement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom