• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Bakemono is pretty much doomed unless Aniplex brings it to the US themselves (which they probably will in the future). The show is such a massive hit in Japan that there is no way Aniplex would license it out for a logical fee. Certainly not a profitable one.

jman2050

Isn't it basically a big catch-22 where US companies can't get a lot of the good stuff because it's too expensive and unprofitable so they have to go for the mediocre-to-terrible stuff which, predictably, doesn't sell at all thus keeping the anime market unhealthy and unprofitable for the actual good stuff?

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
Madoka and Bakemonogatari BD Boxsets in the US Aniplex! I'll give you Dresden's first born!
Sorry, I already promised someone my firstborn a while ago.

You can have the wife though.
jman2050 said:
Isn't it basically a big catch-22 where US companies can't get a lot of the good stuff because it's too expensive and unprofitable so they have to go for the mediocre-to-terrible stuff which, predictably, doesn't sell at all thus keeping the anime market unhealthy and unprofitable for the actual good stuff?
Even if they get the 'good stuff' it wouldn't sell. The market just isn't there right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Bakemono is pretty much doomed unless Aniplex brings it to the US themselves (which they probably will in the future). The show is such a massive hit in Japan that there is no way Aniplex would license it out for a logical fee. Certainly not a profitable one.
Which is stupid. I'm sure that's what happened with K-On! and I'm betting that the franchise is pretty much irrelevant now.

Maybe selling X amount of copies at 200 bucks a pop is better than selling Y amount of copies at 30-40 bucks a pop (where X is <<<<<< Y). I don't understand that logic, but apparently American nerds are willing to shell out that cash so maybe they aren't wrong.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
Which is stupid. I'm sure that's what happened with K-On! and I'm betting that the franchise is pretty much irrelevant now.

Who the hell thought K-On! would have any selling power in the US in the first place?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
Who the hell thought K-On! would have any selling power in the US in the first place?
Eh, whenever K-On! aired, that shit was all over the blogs and forums and whatnot so I can see why someone would have thought they could make money off it. And maybe they could have - if they didn't hold it until K-On!! finished and split it up into 4 volumes.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:

Maybe selling X amount of copies at 200 bucks a pop is better than selling Y amount of copies at 30-40 bucks a pop (where X is <<<<<< Y). I don't understand that logic, but apparently American nerds are willing to shell out that cash so maybe they aren't wrong.

Not really stupid from Aniplex's perspective. They're making gangbusters with the property in Japan. Other regions can take it or leave it. Makes no difference to them.

Geneijin

Advance apologizes for the image spam.

Branduil said:
LOL I need a gif of Cleo deflecting arrows.
86lMW.gif

Solune said:
Since you posted Sex Hair Kaoru, Umasou, and those numerous Glass Fleet gifs =p
That's because it was Glass Fleet and Umasou.

BoDe0.gif

InfiniteNine said:
Aw, and I was going to suggest this pose too.

vv1VC.jpg

You should do a fighting pose instead!

yEIeL.jpg

duckroll

jman2050 said:

No, this is not the case at all. FUNimation gets tons of good stuff which is also expensive AND profitable. The shows which get passed over because they're too expensive and unprofitable are really irrelevant in terms of widening the appeal of anime. They're actually the stuff which only otaku would care about, and most of those happen to be pirates who don't buy anything.

The actual big mainstream stuff are all licensed. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Not really stupid from Aniplex's perspective. They're making gangbusters with the property in Japan. Other regions can take it or leave it. Makes no difference to them.
Which makes no sense, because they're just losing out on sales. Unless they're one of the companies that don't care about fansubs. :lol

duckroll said:
No, this is not the case at all. FUNimation gets tons of good stuff which is also expensive AND profitable. The shows which get passed over because they're too expensive and unprofitable are really irrelevant in terms of widening the appeal of anime. They're actually the stuff which only otaku would care about, and most of those happen to be pirates who don't buy anything.

The actual big mainstream stuff are all licensed. :p
I'm glad the smaller companies exist, because god knows Aria is the niche-ist of niche shows.

And hey, if nerds want to buy the crap that Sentai gets, more power to them.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
Which makes no sense, because they're just losing out on sales. Unless they're one of the companies that don't care about fansubs. :lol

I don't get what you're saying. Aniplex has no reason to license out a series for cheap to a US company just for that company to get a few sales and then pay them some royalties. If they can't license it for big bucks, they can very well release the box-set themselves sometime down the line for a higher price, and the very few otakus who would buy it anyway would still buy it and Aniplex gets 100% of the money instead.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Hayate no Gotoku is probably one of the better sources for maid reference poses, actually.
Really now? I suppose it's better than danbooru where 90% of them are showing their boobs or panties.

jman2050

InfiniteNine said:
Really now? I suppose it's better than danbooru where 90% of them are showing their boobs or panties.

Oh come on quit acting like you don't have a pair of panties to show off.

Okay I think I'm done here, need to bail out while there's still time

duckroll

Everyone watching Glass Fleet should watch Wolverine after that. Seems like you guys would enjoy it, judging from these gifs...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
I don't get what you're saying. Aniplex has no reason to license out a series for cheap to a US company just for that company to get a few sales and then pay them some royalties. If they can't license it for big bucks, they can very well release the box-set themselves sometime down the line for a higher price, and the very few otakus who would buy it anyway would still buy it and Aniplex gets 100% of the money instead.
I just assume that they'd make more money by selling it to more than just the reference copy nerds.

Just being honest here, but probably the only way I'd pay 200+ bucks for Bakemono is if they subbed the commentaries and I can't imagine they'd go that extra mile.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
I just assume that they'd make more money by selling it to more than just the reference copy nerds.

Just being honest here, but probably the only way I'd pay 200+ bucks for Bakemono is if they subbed the commentaries and I can't imagine they'd go that extra mile.

It doesn't have to be 200 bucks. Durarara is in 3 sets for 50 bucks each. Baccano's blu-ray complete box set will be 60 bucks. I imagine for Bakemono they'll probably release it in two sets for 50 bucks each. Pricey for a short series, but not R2 pricey.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
Let's not get carried away here.

Needs some makeup.
I can't do it, so B is going to have to show me how during my trip to LA! I looked like a raccoon when I tried to put on mascara. ;___;

Branduil

duckroll said:
Everyone watching Glass Fleet should watch Wolverine after that. Seems like you guys would enjoy it, judging from these gifs...
Does Wolverine have a villain who
was molested by his foster father, slept with his foster mother, killed both of them, and now has a creepy relationship with a young boy while marrying the daughter of the space pope?

duckroll

Branduil said:
was molested by his foster father, slept with his foster mother, killed both of them, and now has a creepy relationship with a young boy while marrying the daughter of the space pope?

It very well might. You'll have to watch to find out!

Branduil said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it did. The little I saw of it was pants-on-head retarded.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
It doesn't have to be 200 bucks. Durarara is in 3 sets for 50 bucks each. Baccano's blu-ray complete box set will be 60 bucks. I imagine for Bakemono they'll probably release it in two sets for 50 bucks each. Pricey for a short series, but not R2 pricey.
Hah, is that the consolation? I suppose I understand the boutique model. I buy HBO box sets after all... it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Geneijin

Articalys said:
Hayate no Gotoku is probably one of the better sources for maid reference poses, actually.
Ave Maria.

Couldn't think of another anime with maids.

Solune said:
Yusss! At least you can feel good about making someone watch Hanasaku Iroha!
Wait, you haven't watched it already? Well, at least you are now if so.

Chemo

Jexhius said:
I think you just did.

I'll be throwing up my Kaiji thread after I watch the first episode. Admittedly there isn't much in their but I still feel that it deserves it's own thread.
I'm still waiting on your Kaiji thread because most people aren't talking about it. Please make this thread soon!

jman2050 said:
I imagined InfiniteNine as this pasty nerdy looking white guy, I don't know what to think anymore.

Meh, I could have sworn I9 told me a long time ago he was Asian, I guess I just didn't believe it until I saw it. Well, I think I saw it, the huge wig makes it still hard to tell.

At any rate, Anime-GAF has now experienced it's first member cosplay, and it was meido cosplay to boot! Indeed, Anime-GAF is like your own personal eternal anime-con, but without the smelly unwashed bodies, the ugly fat girls squeezed into cheesy homemade costumes, and the public humiliation which might occur if you run into somebody you know at one!

Solune

Geneijin said:
Wait, you haven't watched it already? Well, at least you are now if so.
No I have but it's always nice to have sex hair archived somewhere. But I'm sure you get others than myself to watch shows based on gifs alone. Look at Umasou. I'm not touching Glass Fleet within a 10 ft pole though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom