• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

InfiniteNine said:
Honestly I know nothing about it being animated, so no info from me!
Aw. Well, at least you're a good person who enjoys some Key.

icarus-daedelus said:
Probably not, but I'd never live it down. Oh, the humiliation.
Ayu is calling for you icarus.

firehawk12 said:
Rihoko is the older childhood friend!
But she's too fat/thick by anime standards.

Jexhius said:
I don't know, Glass Fleet doesn't have mecha. Then again, I haven't finished Glass Fleet.
If the space battles were actually decent or as good as Code Geass mech battles were, Glass Fleet was a nice wreck. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
I posted in the HBO thread that I'm basically too old to read that stuff now and was promptly reminded that I post on GAF. :lol
I'll watch the show at least. We'll see how it goes with reading the books.

And yeah, I've read one single series to completion over the last 15ish years and that was enough fantasy for me.

Pfft, when i read that post i kept thinking "but you watch anime!"

Swag

Geneijin said:
This was an advantage because it gave her something unique compared to the other girls, also her problem was a little easier to relate to because it's something a lot of people suffer from. Reading about her endings in the game, I really cannot fathom why they decided to go with the ending they did.
Geneijin said:
You fell for her already? Ayatsuji best suki confirmed?
Suki? I have to evaluate my ranking after I finish the arc!

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
It gets worse earlier on, ie Kanon 2002, which is right down there with Glass Fleet in terms of disasters. Not as fabulous as GF, tho.

The non-arc for Sayuri was Kanon's biggest failing. All the other girls are unlikeable.

trejo

Sebulon3k said:
This was an advantage because it gave her something unique compared to the other girls, also her problem was a little easier to relate to because it's something a lot of people suffer from. Reading about her endings in the game, I really cannot fathom why they decided to go with the ending they did.
What other endings were there?

Steroyd

jman2050 said:
Well shit I'm dumb.

I JUST got trejo's avatar just now.

And I JUST realised trejo's avatar after you mentioning you getting it. :mad:

And holy crap at the Madoka news I'm going to binge on Heartcatch aren't I?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Random thought: School Days would have been twice as fun if its cast was comprised of astronauts on an interstellar expedition holding the last remnants of humanity in the form of teenagers.

trejo

Regulus Tera said:
Random thought: School Days would have been twice as fun if its cast was comprised of astronauts on an interstellar expedition holding the last remnants of humanity in the form of teenagers.
And if they were all female, no less.

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
I cannot resist the sweet clarion call of a sad girl in the snow! :eek:

Do I need to start posting art from Kanon 2002 again to prove its biggest failing?!

I was thinking Kanon 2006. I've forgotten much of Kanon 2002 although I remembered thinking it was NEW AND EXCITING for its time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Harry Potter?
No, god no. Although I've read the first book.
Raymond E. Feist is the dude I had the (mis)fortune of following... all because of that Betrayal at Krondor game.

Geneijin said:
I'm now convinced she's the best girl!

Lafiel said:
Pfft, when i read that post i kept thinking "but you watch anime!"
Jexhius said:
Watching anime is easier than reading though. Sweet passivity.
That, and I feel like if I do read, I should read grown-up books. :lol

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
No, god no. Although I've read the first book.
Raymond E. Feist is the dude I had the (mis)fortune of following... all because of that Betrayal at Krondor game.

I'm now convinced she's the best girl!

That, and I feel like if I do read, I should read grown-up books. :lol

ASOIAF is quite a grownup series. Its not like you're gonna be reading Eragon or Twilight, dude.

Dresden

It took the winter thread over a month to get to this point.

Completely unsurprisingly, Jex is still at the top of the wall.
Jexhius 267
InfiniteNine 228
Dresden 226
firehawk12 216
Branduil 215
trejo 210
jman2050 208
icarus-daedelus 198
duckroll 144
zeroshiki 132
Geneijin 132
Miri 124
Lafiel 117
cosmicblizzard 114
Infinite Justice 107
doomed1 106
Hellsing321 98
Steroyd 97
KuwabaraTheMan 82
Uchip 80

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
ASOIAF is quite a grownup series. Its not like you're gonna be reading Eragon or Twilight, dude.
I know. I actually read through a third of the book before I gave up. But it's still white dudes acting all Medieval British and at the time, I was tired of that.
Maybe because I was reading the Canterbury Tales at the time. :lol

Sebulon3k said:
Save the Best for Last.
That will be the Miya arc!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
Can't really think of a fantasy series I've read recently apart from earthsea and harry potter that feels like it was designed for kids.:lol

My post count is almost like 1/3 of what i posted in the last thread mm.

Jerk

Banned
Jexhius said:
Watching anime is easier than reading though. Sweet passivity.

Depends on the show in question.

I would rather a hundred re-reads of Ulysses than re-watch Ergo Proxy.
I am currently having trouble finishing either of them :(

Swag

firehawk12 said:
That will be the Miya arc!
Too annoying to get her own arc, I think.

Nishishishi
trejo said:
You call that a Bad End? School Days has spoiled me.
The ending on that site isn't the ending from the anime, it was just wierd that everyone get's the guy then you get the person with the best personality, that doesn't have an odd problem or odd tendency, and she gets the friend zone ending. It's like some weird twilight zone thing, the girl that is best suited doesn't get the guy, maybe they were going for irony.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
Can't really think of a fantasy series I've read recently apart from earthsea and harry potter that feels like it was designed for kids.:lol

The Elder saga -_- Oh god, the memories are coming back...

Dresden

Jerk said:

Just read The Dead and wiki Ulysses.

For Ergo Proxy, put some mascara on and go listen to Linkin Park.

Jex

Jerk said:

I've watched all of his Ergo Proxy, sweet Monads! Philosophy references all over the place.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Geneijin said:
"Instantly agreeable" - not sure why I got a chuckle out of that quote. Probably because I seldom use that definition of the word like that anymore.

If there is one thing I disagree with, it's what you've designated as the primary emotional response when moe-elements are involved. Ayu from Kanon 06 certainly elicits such a response of protectiveness (characteristic of Key anime characters to get that out of the way), but that's a subset of the moe element, not its primary function. Adoration would be more befitting considering love has various manifestations from friendship and camaraderie to kinship and brotherhood. I guess you could argue moe is primarily a feeling of protectiveness, but it doesn't rightfully denote the subjective quality of what is moe.

Take for example Japan's moe heroines of Winter 2011 (Source):

Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos) - 740 (28.7%)
Victorique (Gosick) - 405 (15.7%)
Homura (Madoka Magica) - 306 (11.9%)

Which heroine exudes that feeling of moe which you've described as the primary emotional response in your paper?

Ah, whatever. Nice read!
All of them, for different people. It's really different elements for different people that create roughly the same emotional response. You see, the moe response isn't love, it's closer to infatuation, but even then I wouldn't count it as that. It's a simple protective emotional reaction, nothing more, nothing less. You see, what's not ill defined is what moe creates: that "burning". That's moe as a noun. Now, what ISN'T specific is moe as an adjective. A character can be called "moe" and cause any number of reactions: happiness, humor, disgust, arousal, moe; it all depends on the individual and the moe elements. The noun I think I pretty well defined, a sort of emotional knee-jerk, White Knight Syndrome, and that's what matters most. I suppose protectiveness might not be a PERFECT way to describe it. Perhaps possessiveness? would make sense with the concept of the "waifu".

Eh, idk. I was describing moe as it's used as a narrative function. I was actually thinking of adding to it my own observations on "yanderes" and how they were representative of the "anti-moe" in that they betray that reaction, causing a rejection of the character.

Mandoric said:
It was his assistant, MAEDAX.
It's still his face, damnit! D:

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
Just read The Dead and wiki Ulysses.

For Ergo Proxy, put some mascara on and go listen to Linkin Park.

AKA the best thing Joyce has ever written IMO. The thing is, I heard that Ulysses was even better.

I was obviously lied to.

As for Ergo Proxy, I feel bad for letting all that awesome animation pass me by.

jman2050

Dresden said:

I've been moving up the list slowly since last Spring.

That does not bode well for my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom