• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
KnT was always about the growth of the main character - the romance was second, and really, that's probably why it's one of the top selling shoujos and got a live action films. It's why you have arcs where all she does is hang out with her (girl)friends. Heck, in the post "coital" (if you could call it that) stage of the manga, the focus has shifted toward the growth of said friends rather than stick to the shoujo antics of a loveydovey couple.

HanaIro wants to be slice of life with a genki girl, then it wants to be a genki girl show set in a slice of life setting, then it wants to be this character piece. You're talking about a girl who goes from being abducted and willing to put herself in BONDAGE to a girl who runs away from a boy because she can't figure out how to genki her way out of that situation. It's just inane and has the fingerprints of a dozen writers who haven't read each other's work or even spoken to each other.

Shit, I can't believe I defended the bondage and the stupid Tohru-chase from a few weeks ago. Now I feel like Geneijin, with his anger toward AnoHana 9. :lol:

Or it's all the pieces set by the previous episodes coming together, to deliver the dorama that people were complaining wasn't there.

Miri said:
Holy shit. This must be the seething vitriol of TeamIroha that I'm witnessing, cause I really can. The show is entertaining, had some incredibly solid eps, and the characterization has aspired to be more than anything HanaIro has shown since the first ep. They're both sloppy, but jesus.

(I have not seen this latest ep though so... unless it changes a whole fuck ton this sticks

28h0hfm.gif

iavi

Dresden said:
Someone sort out the official teams already.

Team Anohana: macodin; Geneijin (RIP)

Team Iroha: zeroshiki

Team Best Men: duckroll

Team Bromance: hellsing

???

Team GintalaiLama: Miri

jman2050

Steroyd said:
Or it's all the pieces set by the previous episodes coming together, to deliver the dorama that people were complaining wasn't there.

The setup for episode 11 was about as competently constructed as the skyscraper from Towering Inferno.

All we need now is the spark...

iavi

Branduil said:
The only thing that can save Ano Hana now is Tsuruko going School Days on everyone.

I was expecting her to kill herself. I thought that she was what menma saw floating in the river, but they basically pulled a fast one so... I don't know.

steroyd said:

Right. Like it even changes much.

Jex

Steroyd said:
When your character visits the location where all the people who could possibly inspire drama resides, I'd be annoyed if nothing had happened.
jman2050 said:
The setup for episode 11 was about as competently constructed as the skyscraper from Towering Inferno.
How so? I mean people can have problems with a show but I'd like them to be specific!

trejo

And once again it's confirmed that what always keeps this thread going is some good old fashioned bickering.

Carry on, lads. You make me proud.

And Team Azazel-san/Fireball Charming is where it's actually at.

jman2050 said:

All we need now is the spark...

I don't know. The Ko issue has been consistently brewing for several episodes now, and it was apparent from the first episode that Ohana's relationship with her mother was a sore point that would come to a head sooner or later. Giving Ohana a reason to go to Tokyo is a good way to hit both of those issues at once. The only problems I had with episode 11 were the contrived nature of Satsuki being the editor behind Kissuiso's poor review (though who knows? perhaps she jockeyed herself into that position to get back at her mom), and Minko and Tohru's arrival at the end of the episode. Those are small enough that I can look past them though.

Dynedom

survivor said:
Who is on Team C? I will join there once I finish catching up.

Team C doesn't involve itself in the quarrels of the common folk!

Team C doesn't really have a rival anyway. Team Stein? Closest thing to a competitor anime but they both try to achieve different things. It's harder to draw a comparison between those 2 than between Iroha and AnoHAna.

edit: Glad I was on the winning team from Day One (Iroha)

Jex

Hansaku Iroha Discussion

The
mother=editor
plotline is, certainly, contrived unless some further explanation is given. But everything that flowed from that event was not. All the characterisation of
Ohana's mother, Ohana and Ko
have been consistent with how they've appeared on screen up until now, even with
Ohana's mother being largely developed through flashbacks
we got to see more of her here and have her character advance, in a fashion.

Go_Ly_Dow

Dresden said:
Someone sort out the official teams already.

Team Anohana: macodin; Geneijin (RIP)

Team Iroha: zeroshiki

Team Best Men: duckroll

Team Bromance: hellsing

???

There was a team Anohana and Iroha list in the first OT. Zeroshiki might still have tabs on it.

survivor

Banned
Dynedom said:
Team C doesn't involve itself in the quarrels of the common folk!

Team C doesn't really have a rival anyway. Team Stein? Closest thing to a competitor anime but they both try to achieve different things. It's harder to draw a comparison between those 2 than between Iroha and AnoHAna.

edit: Glad I was on the winning team from Day One (Iroha)
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal?

Dynedom

Miri said:
An empty room.

Sadly true. =(

Jexhius said:
Hansaku Iroha Discussion

The
mother=editor
plotline is, certainly, contrived unless some further explanation is given. But everything that flowed from that event was not. All the characterisation of
Ohana's mother, Ohana and Ko
have been consistent with how they've appeared on screen up until now, even with
Ohana's mother being largely developed through flashbacks
we got to see more of her here and have her character advance, in a fashion.

Do think you think they'll go down that road?

i.e. Satsuki
secretly loving the fact that she got to rate the Inn down because of some unresolved conflict with her mother?

Jex

People only bothered to align into teams when two shows seemed similar enough in style and genre that there was a reason to believe that one work might triumph over the other. In the end, Ano Hana and Hanasaku Iroha turned out very differently despite initial impressions.

M_Night said:
I know a few people will be tempted by this, so just remember, defectors face being cut down by Duckroll!
Duckroll has lost his authority after he defected Team Iroha a couple weeks ago and had to cut himself down.

Dynedom

Does C even have an OT? I could have sworn I saw one floating around but maybe I was dreaming? =(

The only thing about C that makes me sad is that the last episode airs this week. I really wonder if this will ever see a sequel.

I mean, they appealed to the lowest denominator with the somewhat loli asset designs but I wonder if people in Japan "got" this anime enough to make producers contemplate a second season.

trejo

Hellsing321 said:
Druckroll has lost his authority after he defected Team Iroha a couple weeks ago and had to cut himself down.
There's a Moshidora joke here somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Dynedom said:
Does C even have an OT? I could have sworn I saw one floating around but maybe I was dreaming? =(

Don't think so. It was assumed the show would be a complete train wreck from episode 1, so all discussion for it could be summed up with "lol" post in the OT.

Dresden

Dynedom said:
I mean, they appealed to the lowest denominator with the somewhat loli asset designs but I wonder if people in Japan "got" this anime enough to make producers contemplate a second season.
It was never going to have a second season so I wouldn't worry about that.

Dynedom

Dresden said:
It was never going to have a second season so I wouldn't worry about that.

=(

M_Night said:
Don't think so. It was assumed the show would be a complete train wreck from episode 1, so all discussion for it could be summed up with "lol" post in the OT.

So glad I went against GAF's initial impressions on this. It turned out to be one of the best shows this season.

Jex

Dynedom said:
It doesn't seem like Nakamura makes shows with the aim of getting a second season.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Instro said:
Team Kaiji is a legacy team, we can only fight about new shows.
Oh I see we are separating the mediocre from the great. How pathetic!

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm pretty sure InfiniteNine will back me up on this one.

But I have the courage to stick to my opinions even if no one else agrees with me.
Yes Team Kaiji are the true survivors of the season!

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
It doesn't seem like Nakamura makes shows with the aim of getting a second season.

He wants us to live in the present!

A sequel to C (depending on how great the final episode is) would be my new most wanted piece of anime news going forward.

iavi

Dynedom said:
So glad I went against GAF's initial impressions on this. It turned out to be one of the best shows this season.

It had an interesting concept, but it's execution is so bad. so bad. I'm an episode behind, but it does seem to be kicking into gear.

Dynedom

Miri said:
It had an interesting concept, but it's execution is so bad. so bad. I'm an episode behind, but it does seem to be kicking into gear.

I never had a problem with the series, except for that one god awful episode that was nothing but fan-service, horrible pacing and gigantic bait-and-switch by the end.

Yeah the CG sucks but I didn't find it distracting at all.

survivor

Banned
Dynedom said:
I never had a problem with the series, except for that one god awful episode that was nothing but fan-service, horrible pacing and gigantic bait-and-switch by the end.

Yeah the CG sucks but I didn't find it distracting at all.
Reminds me of Giant Killing CG.

I'm an episode behind on C but is there any explanation given for how and why Japan is going to shit because of the Financial district? Seems like over half the population has vanished and 90% of the business has closed up shop or disappeared as well. I thought Mikuni's plan was supposed to lessen the effects of people losing so how did that get away from him so quickly? Seemed like an abrupt change from the previous episode.

trejo

C is nice but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it once it's over. So far it's been rather forgettable, I'd say.

Dali

Just about to start the last episode of Uninhabited Planet Survive! I think this is the first time I finished such a long series (52 episodes) in such a short time. At some point it went from Swiss Family Robinson with kids to JRPG: the series. I love the way the characters (most of them at least) changed through their experiences on the planet and the way the series builds up from having them figuring out the basics of survival to tackling bigger problems and ultimately
the fate of the world
(like I said, JRPG: the series, lol). Seems like it may actually tie everything up in this final episode.

Dresden

Here are the weekly DVD rankings for May 30th - June 5th.

DVD
*1, 2,222 *,**2,222 One Piece 13th Season vol.1
*2, 2,192 *,**2,192 One Piece 13th Season vol.2
*3, 1,616 *,**1,616 Kuruneko Season 2 vol.3 Limited Edition
*4, 1,180 *,**1,180 Naruto: Shippuuden Kako Hen vol.3
*5, 1,091 *,*10,665 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, 1,030 *,**7,727 Hetalia World Series vol.6 Limited Edition
*7, 1,021 *,**8,783 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
*8, *,987 *,**7,110 Kuroshitsuji II vol.9 Limited Edition
*9, *,850 1,073,699 My Neighbor Totoro
10, *,700 *,**1,810 Tiger & Bunny vol.1
11, *,639 *,**3,744 Starry☆Sky vol.4 Special Edition
12, *,554 *,***,554 Fairy Tail vol.17
13, *,527 *,**2,113 Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru vol.12
14, *,507 *,**4,517 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.6 Limited Edition
15, *,477 *,*61,193 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
16, *,472 *,*22,434 Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 4 - The Lost Tower Limited Edition
17, *,442 *,**3,525 Bleach Hamen Metsubo Hen vol.4 Limited Edition
18, *,435 *,**4,192 Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory DVD Box
19, *,421 *,455,020 Kiki's Delivery Service
20, *,419 *,***,419 Dragon Ball Kai vol.12

Blu-ray
*1, 3,607 57,322 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 3,475 18,164 Tiger & Bunny vol.1 Limited Edition
*3, 1,479 23,962 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.2
*4, 1,164 17,035 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.6 Limited Edition
*5, 1,079 63,367 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, *,854 12,081 Toaru Majutsu no Index II vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *,693 *8,524 Lucky ☆ Star Blu-ray Box
*8, *,631 *4,442 A-Channel vol.1 Limited Edition
*9, *,628 *6,064 Shinryaku! Ika Musume vol.6
10, *,563 *5,146 Break Blade 5: Shisen no Hate

Dali

Trojita said:
Wait that C show, was that any good?
Do you like BeyBlade?

Do you like lolis?

If you answer yes to one or more of the above, then... yes... yes it is very good.

For the rest of us... well... I wouldn't say it sucks, but it's nothing amazing.

Dresden

Miri said:
I can't help but SMH when looking at this. Is One Piece not released on blu-ray, or are their sales that non-existant?
Doesn't matter, since OP actually has people watching outside the usual group of neckbeards and pushes toys and mango like crazy.

Miri said:
I can't help but SMH when looking at this. Is One Piece not released on blu-ray, or are their sales that non-existant?
The audience for long running shounens don't buy expensive DVDs/BRs. It has a large audience that watches on TV so it really doesn't need the sales anyway.

Trojita said:
Wait that C show, was that any good?

It's been up and down, but it has a very neat concept. Think Yu-gi-oh mixed with Gash Bell where money represents your health and future. The problem is it's a concept with a ton of potential wasted on a 1 season series. They even opted to not show a potentially epic fight scene to save time (or money, idk).

Uchip

Banned
Miri said:

the dvds would be compressed so im guessing there are blu rays that people didnt buy, maybe they didnt want to start a blu ray collection when they had the first 10 in dvd or whatever.

iavi

Dresden said:
Doesn't matter, since OP actually has people watching outside the usual group of neckbeards and pushes toys and mango like crazy.

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be something like that.

cosmicblizzard said:
They even opted to not show a potentially epic fight scene to save time (or money, idk).

Worst single offensive move made this whole season. That was utterly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom