• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Miri said:
And don't act as if anime-gaf is a bunch of old wisemen forty minutes from their grave. Memory recollection really isn't as you're hard making it out to be.
But they are. I think I'm one of the only member of AnimeGAF still in their teens. :<

Jex

Miri said:
What? Where are you even going with this?
Miri said:
But I fully stand behind the idea that if something truly great was to come along, most would quickly see it for the inconsistent mess it is.
Last season we were blessed with Wandering Son. Bar the unimportant outlier, most of the Gaffers who watched that show thought it was pretty damn great, maybe even perfect. That was last season.

By saying that "if something great was to come along" it makes it sound like, because nothing 'great' is airing right now, we can't remember when the last great thing aired and perform an simple comparison. Obviously, most people can. In fact I was implying that we do that incredibly easily.

So I don't see why people's opinions on the show would change if a 'perfect' show was airing now. Sure, in contrast, people would be claiming that the perfect show was the superior title (in dint of it's imperfection) but they wouldn't start saying that HI is an inconsistent mess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Last season we were blessed with Wandering Son. Bar the unimportant outlier, most of the Gaffers who watched that show thought it was pretty damn great, maybe even perfect. That was last season.

Love you too! But hey, at least it was better than Kuragehime! Still no Aoi Hana though!

Jex

Miri said:
It's badly written because it is incredibly inconsistent, and the pacing and escalation of important events has been abrupt because they wold have rather spent their time on close ups on moe moe ohane's lips, and war otakus.
???

Those seem like an odd couple of things to conflate into one general criticism of the show. Let's break it down:

1. The show focuses on Ohana's moe moe lips during that once scene because we are temporally placed within the eye's of Tohru. This subjective camera technique allows the audience to garner some information about Torhu's feelings towards Ohana without explicitly spelling it out through clumsy dialogue. I'd call that a good thing.

It's not like they spend a lot of time on it anyway. Maybe a few seconds?

2. The 'war otaku' episode sure was a light hearted and surreal romp, but are those reasons to say that the show sucked overall? Or was it that we were spending too much time on these peculiar characters at the expense of the main plot, which I'm assuming is your claim. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your position.

At any rate, that whole episode was about developing Tomoe's character. Did it succeed or fail on that front? I feel it succeeded and having her interact with a group of military-nuts is a far less boring way to do it than any number of methods usually employed by anime shows.

Ao Exorcist 9

And so everyone has become genins exorcists. Looks like some real villains are gonna start showing up soon. Curious about Mephisto's brother.

iavi

Jexhius said:
By saying that "if something great was to come along" it makes it sound like, because nothing 'great' is airing right now, we can't remember when the last great thing aired and perform an simple comparison. Obviously, most people can. In fact I was implying that we do that incredibly easily.

So I don't see why people's opinions on the show would change if a 'perfect' show was airing now.

I brought literature up because my whole stance stems from the fact that I don't think to highly of the usual anime-narrative to begin with. Saying that the whole lot is so bad, even if one were to come across that smelled better than the usual shitpile, it would be collectively sniffed into a mental diamond. Wandering son was deemed perfect? , Was it really? consistent in pacing throughout, with a constant and clearly presented idea of identity? If so, that's an anime I need to see.

Of course, the whole thing can be considered subjective, but I am thinking that there is a certain degree of objectivity to be acknowledged.

Jexhius said:
???

Those seem like an odd couple of things to conflate into one general criticism of the show. Let's brake it down:

1. The show focuses on Ohana's moe moe lips because we are temporally placed within the eye's of Tohru. This subjective camera technique allows the audience to garner some information about Torhu's feelings towards Ohana without explicitly spelling it out through clumsy dialogue. I'd call that a good thing.

It's not like they spend a lot of time on it anyway. Maybe a few seconds?
2. The 'war otaku' episode sure was a light hearted and surreal romp, but are those reasons to say that the show sucked overall? Or was it that we were spending too much time on these peculiar characters at the expense of the main plot, which I'm assuming is your claim. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your position.

At any rate, that whole episode was about developing Tomoe's character. Did it succeed or fail on that front? I feel it succeeded and having her interact with a group of military-nuts is a far less boring way to do it than any number of methods usually employed by anime shows.

Haha! Sorry. Sorry. The comment on Ohana's lips was more a snarky critique on the whole episode, not those frames in particular. Lets not get off track here.

And yeah, that ep developed tomoe's character a bit, but at the expense of the whole package. I think that it could have been done a good bit more fashionably. Small actions speak louder than words--Facial expressions--gestures--etc... etc...

They could be using this throughout the whole series to portray it three times better in a third of the time. And, you know, that actually opens up the debate of animation budget affecting the proficiency of plot, but for the sake of my head, let's not go there.

Articalys

I hate to drag out the feud longer but it's something I thought of just now.
Mari Okada is heavily involved with both Iroha and AnoHana, right? As the main screenplay writer or something? ANN shows she's done the script for all AnoHana episodes so far, but for Iroha she's only done the first four and most recent episodes but also has the main role of "series composition."
Then again, who is it that's usually considered the originator of the idea for a show and has the most influence on the direction it takes? It would be a combination of the writer and director, right?

trejo

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
Seriously, she's the writing equivalent of Shinbo.
You'll have to explain this one, since I guess the joke went over my head. I mean, I know Shinbo is the crazy Shaft animation guy but not much else besides that.

iavi

Uchip said:
how does that even work?!

Let viewers see the finally see Gin in his, constantly referenced, war form about after dicking us around for so long.

I'm so hyped to see where it goes from here. FLAWFULS! You've read the manga, right? Does it go down?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
You'll have to explain this one, since I guess the joke went over my head. I mean, I know Shinbo is the crazy Shaft animation guy but not much else besides that.
Ah, just that Shinbo isn't a real person; he's just a robot powered by cigarettes and ramen being used at Shaft.

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
I still don't know how to use IRC. I've tried, but I've about given up at this point.
In all honesty you really don't need to know how to use IRC to enjoy it, you can just get a client and click on the irc channel link in the OP and just talk from there.

Instro

X-Men 8-10
Ive been a bit behind on this, but I have to say I enjoyed these 3 episodes. Really awesome fights throughout. Its been a pretty solid show so far so hopefully they dont ruin the ending.

Articalys

Nope, still don't get it. Guess my wits just aren't sharp enough today.

Anyway, I should get cracking on catching up with [C]. Wouldn't be the first time I tried to start watching a series right before it ended.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
But Okada works in ostensibly realistic settings while Shinbo's protags tend to have supernatural powers that might explain away their ability to withstand extreem angular neck motion. I can just imagine the crossover wherein the lead character tragically breaks her neck by the end of episode 2 from excessive dangerous head tilting.
Hey, for all we know that's exactly what happened to Menma.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Articalys said:

Shinbo directs every Shaft series (which are bad), Mari Okada writes a bunch of bad animu.

zeroshiki

M_Night said:
There was a team Anohana and Iroha list in the first OT. Zeroshiki might still have tabs on it.

I just spent 30 mins looking for it =( I have no life

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27170049&postcount=9463

Galactic Hanairo Empire (Hanasaku Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls
M_Night
hossanainexcelsis
Dresden
Dance in my Blood
Infernodash
KuwabaraTheMan
Steroyd
Regulus Terra
Aigis

Anohana Planets Alliance (Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
CWarrior
mAcOdin
shintoki
Rektash
Halycon
lostxii
Sage00

Team Wishy-washy (won't take a stand):
jman2050
firehawk12
cosmicblizzard
hamchan

zeroshiki

Also, guys, clearly we need to compare anime to literature. I mean, compared to Milan Kundera the writing in HanaIro is indeed shitty.

Erigu

Aigis said:
Wandering Son only ended up good because of the excellent source material.
Nah, the adaptation did a more than decent job. There were some nice ideas/changes here and there.

jman2050

It's a shame Wandering Son had to go against the clearly superior Madoka Magica and got overshadowed as a result.

Kind of like how Ika Musume would've been the greatest GIF goldmine in any other season but the one that also had Panty and Stocking.

Articalys

It's that time again, time for another user-created Bullshit Internet Anime Popularity Poll™ thanks to our friends at BIGLOBE. This time around it was for "Favorite Character from the Spring 2011 Season". What makes it bullshit is they limited the eligible series to the following:

* Tiger & Bunny
* Steins;Gate
* AnoHana
* Hanasaku Iroha
* Hidan no Aria
* Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
* The World God Only Knows II
* Nichijou
* Dog Days
* A Channel

Aaaanyway, from this limited selection pool and 18,467 votes, the top three, and the reason I'm even bothering to post this, were actually a pretty good choice, pulling nearly a third of the vote combined:

1) Kotetsu T. Kaburagi/Wild Tiger (Tiger & Bunny)
2) Barnaby Brooks Jr. (Tiger & Bunny)
3) Keith Goodman/Sky High (Tiger & Bunny)

As for the rest of the top ten? Opinions will vary widely.

4) Erio Touwa (Denpa Onna)
5) Meme Touwa (Denpa Onna)
6) Anaru (AnoHana)
7) Hakase (Nichijou)
8) Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate)
9) Karina Lyle/Blue Rose (Tiger & Bunny)
10) Aria H. Kanzaki (Hidan no Aria)

By the way, Menma got about 100 more votes than Ohana.

But yeah, in summary, total Sunrise domination. Congrats on the franchise, guys.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
Kind of like how Ika Musume would've been the greatest GIF goldmine in any other season but the one that also had Panty and Stocking.
But Ika Musume was the best Gif goldmine that season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Erigu said:
Nah, the adaptation did a more than decent job. There were some nice ideas/changes here and there.
Where the manga is now, I'm not even sure any more. Even Aoi Hana is annoying me slightly now.

Cwarrior

anohana 9

Wonder how stuff going to go down with tsurko and anaru.

The explanation with not contact them earlier is hard to swallow, I can understand jinta wanting to keep minma to him self and menma being stupid,but I don't think that's enough to stop mema since she being doing stuff hovering around them this whole time(even cooking and eating).

Still decent episode but not much left and interested in seeing how this ends

Articalys said:

Thats some really bad list they got anaru,aria and worst of all incest aunt.

steinsgate-01-kyouma-mayuri-itaru-monitor.jpg

true character of the season

jman2050

Cwarrior said:
The explanation with not contact them earlier is hard to swallow, I can understand jinta wanting to keep minma to him self and menma being stupid,but I don't think that's enough stopping mema since she being doing stuff hovering around them this whole time(even cooking and eating).

What you see is what you get. The writers pretty much acknowledge that the only way the story works at this point is complete stupidity.

kiryogi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
I just spent 30 mins looking for it =( I have no life

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27170049&postcount=9463

Galactic Hanairo Empire (Hanasaku Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls
M_Night
hossanainexcelsis
Dresden
Dance in my Blood
Infernodash
KuwabaraTheMan
Steroyd
Regulus Terra
Aigis

Anohana Planets Alliance (Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
CWarrior
mAcOdin
shintoki
Rektash
Halycon
lostxii
Sage00

Team Wishy-washy (won't take a stand):
jman2050
firehawk12
cosmicblizzard
hamchan
Dude I'm team anohana! But I'm pretty sure the list for team anohana is like nonexistant now.

mAcOdIn

kiryogi said:
Dude I'm team anohana! But I'm pretty sure the list for team anohana is like nonexistant now.
Stay strong, this is how the anime Gods test their disciples so don't lose the faith now.

mAcOdIn said:
That's when we're most dangerous! Prepare yourselves.

For what? Listening to wailing and gnashing of teeth?

kiryogi said:

Why are you joining the losing team after it has already been spectacularly defeated?

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
For what? Listening to wailing and gnashing of teeth?
When is an animal most dangerous? When it's cornered. And we are animals, glorious, savage, beautiful animals and we will have our victory, our survival demands it.

zeroshiki

Especially since you're on the losing side!

Really, Anohana barely has mAcOdIn at this point while HanaIro is going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom