• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyte Edge said:
I watched this entire series years and years ago, and found it very difficult to get through. The pacing is incredibly slow, and they wind up recycling a lot of the same animation. Ryu's whole hadoken/training meditation subplot goes on forever.

SFII V got really bad at the end. Would not recommend it.

Sure, it's not good, but that's part of what makes it fun... but yeah, it is a bit dull. The amusing parts make it not all bad, but overall, yeah, not such a great series.

survivor said:
Team Nichijou is the most superior team.
Indeed true!

Anohana is second for this season, but Nichijou started out in first and has held its position.

shintoki said:
Ratings will be so low, it will be canceled before it finishes! Replaced with IS season 2
What, trying to get our hopes up? :)

trejo said:
Hidan no Aria... 9? Who cares

I agree with whoever said the show isn't as entertaining when it's focusing too much on the harem aspects and less on the dumb wacky shit I've come to crave from it. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in episodes to come.
While you are right, Riko is amusing, so the episode wasn't all bad...

iavi

You guys are already claiming sides for the summer? Lol.

Usagi Drop is airing that season right? I call captain for that ship.

mAcOdIn

trejo said:
Do we get to wear pirate hats in this cushion fort? My interest hinges on this.
They're whatever you believe them to be, I pretend mine's an astronaut's helmet but it's really just my underwear. If you're wearing a pirate's hat then by God it's a pirate hat.

mAcOdIn said:
God yes, you just sold me. Either we do great and win the war or I spend my last moments twisted up like a pretzel with a bunch of other nerds before being crushed to death, either way I'm in.

Are you really so delicate that you can get crushed to death by a collapsing fort made of cushions? Are these cushions filled with concrete blocks or something?

trejo

mAcOdIn said:
They're whatever you believe them to be, I pretend mine's an astronaut's helmet but it's really just my underwear. If you're wearing a pirate's hat then by God it's a pirate hat.
Then you have my sword. By which I mean spatula.

iavi

Cowboy bebop... the ep with the Mr penguin clone.

The beginning of this ep never ceases to amaze me. Some of wantanabes best work lies within the first many frames of this ep. The first person gunplay is just jaw dropping.

mAcOdIn

Unknown Soldier said:
Are you really so delicate that you can get crushed to death by a collapsing fort made of cushions? Are these cushions filled with concrete blocks or something?
It's not so much the cousins but the other people, people get crushed to death at concerts and events yet they weren't squished by concrete walls or anything.
trejo said:
Then you have my sword. By which I mean spatula.
Looks like this fort will need an armory, Icarus, get to work!

trejo

Jexhius said:
I guess you never thought you'd be campaigning for that.
Life is just full of these little surprises.

mAcOdIn said:
It's not so much the cousins but the other people, people get crushed to death at concerts and events yet they weren't squished by concrete walls or anything.
Looks like this fort will need an armory, Icarus, get to work!
Whose cousins?

Lain

Battle Girls 11

Ieyasu got the armor and is going to destroy the world!
Shiro "letting her go that far to see the extent of her magic" was so stupid, but the highlight this episode was the multitude of Hanzou Ieyasu threw at the traps.

Jex

Articalys said:
What is the best way to recover from a plot hole, anyway? Just lampshade the hell out of it and try to move onwards?
That's just embarrassing. Don't acknowledge it!

Articalys said:
It's that time again, time for another user-created Bullshit Internet Anime Popularity Poll™ thanks to our friends at BIGLOBE. This time around it was for "Favorite Character from the Spring 2011 Season". What makes it bullshit is they limited the eligible series to the following:

* Tiger & Bunny
* Steins;Gate
* AnoHana
* Hanasaku Iroha
* Hidan no Aria
* Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
* The World God Only Knows II
* Nichijou
* Dog Days
* A Channel

Aaaanyway, from this limited selection pool and 18,467 votes, the top three, and the reason I'm even bothering to post this, were actually a pretty good choice, pulling nearly a third of the vote combined:

1) Kotetsu T. Kaburagi/Wild Tiger (Tiger & Bunny)
2) Barnaby Brooks Jr. (Tiger & Bunny)
3) Keith Goodman/Sky High (Tiger & Bunny)

An online poll I like! What are the odds?

trejo

Plus the only reason they're at the top is because of the fujoshi girls who envision them having hot steamy sex with each other constantly. But hey, whatever works, right?

trejo said:
Plus the only reason they're at the top is because of the fujoshi girls who envision them having hot steamy sex with each other constantly. But hey, whatever works, right?

akagi_sena.jpg

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
But what if neither of them ultimately turns out to be any good?

HanaIro vs. AnoHana: Whoever wins, we lose.
Or perhaps whichever is better in the end will be the show that is later recommended to new viewers thus allowing them to bypass the whole debate in one fell swoop?

Articalys

Oh wow, it really is a link now. Naming a pagan wolf goddess really is serious business.

Jexhius said:
You should be wary of making fun on Bean Bandit. He has a giant forehead and an armoured coat.
Hmm, let's see here...

8EMbe.jpg

TV Tropes sez said:
The OVA follows the exploits of Bean Bandit, a professional getaway driver (think The Transporter) who's been framed for kidnapping the daughter of an electronics CEO. Using a series of tricks, clever plots and disguises, Bean and his friend (and trigger-woman) Rally Vincent attempt to avoid being captured as they work to clear their name. With an interesting story and many a good plot twist, the OVA was well received.

Doesn't sound too bad!

e: Hey, it's even on Netflix! Should I throw it in my queue after I'm finished with Evangelion?

Articalys

trejo said:
That forehead looks moderately proportioned to me.

And that's not the Rally Vincent I know!
Well, here's an actual still from the movie:
skVr7.png

e: Oh wait, so Bean got turned into a recurring character in Gunsmith Cats?

Kemonozume

Wow, what a finale. I wasn't expecting an endgame this crazy. So much happened.

A few things I'm not entirely sure about though. What was the deal with
the Ooba head? Did he alter his body so he could survive just as a head?
Still, he's become one of my favorite villains. Also,
what was the deal with Harumi and all the clones? Was Yuka a clone of her?

Overall, I liked this series a lot. Didn't love it, but it definitely wasn't boring even if it didn't turn out how I expected.

Edit: Ah, Harumi was her mother. Must've been zoning out when they said that.

Gunsmith Cats 1-0 (all) - It really is sad that this didn't turn into a series, it should have. It's good stuff, lots of quality action and some amusing stuff too. "Chicago" here and the Japanese vision of (gun-crazed, explosion-filled) America is funny stuff. :)

The plot was pretty transparent, though... it's quite obvious from the first episode who the true villains would turn out to be. If it was supposed to be surprising when they were revealed to indeed be evil, well, it wasn't at all. Oh well, it doesn't hurt it much. Gunsmith Cats isn't about a great story, it's about anime girls shooting things and blowing them up. And it succeeds at that. The action scenes are well done, from the gunfights to the car chases. The characters move around, take cover, do some awesome moves, shoot/blow things up, etc. Fun. The ending of that car chase was pretty awesomely absurd too... :D

Articalys said:
Well, here's an actual still from the movie:
skVr7.png

e: Oh wait, so Bean got turned into a recurring character in Gunsmith Cats?
Rally's Gunsmith Cats version looks much cooler than that original rendition...

Lain

Watched the first two episodes of Tiger & Bunny, funny stuff, poor Tiger can't catch a break. Blue Rose and the television woman are my favorites though.

Jex

A Black Falcon said:
Rally's Gunsmith Cats version looks much cooler than that original rendition...
Being forced to redesign your character isn't always a bad thing, I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom