• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Then again, official word from basically:

1. the author;
2. the localizers;
3. the work itself

is not enough to sway Izayoi. So I guess whatever then, keep on trucking dude.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Then again, official word from basically:

1. the author;
2. the localizers;
3. the work itself

is not enough to sway Izayoi. So I guess whatever then, keep on trucking dude.
It shocks me that people continue to care so much about it. Did I really hurt everyone's feelings that badly?

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
Not really. We just like laughing at other people.
So it's going to get mentioned on every page that I have post in? I'm definitely not the one dwelling on it, but nobody else seems to be able to get over it.

Izayoi said:
So it's going to get mentioned on every page that I have post in? I'm definitery not the one dwerring on it, but nobody erse seems to be abre to get over it.
We wirr find something erse to run into the ground eventuary

Lain

HanaIro 09 was great for various reasons.
First, Ko got a bit depressed, and that's a plus.
Then, as Ohana went back to the Inn, he was on the train going back home, and that crossing was awesome, another plus (a big plus).
Third, she managed to save the day and build her relationship with Tohru a little bit more, which should bring some drama for me in the future to enjoy.
Fourth, so little of Minchi's abominable voice in this episode!

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:
So it's going to get mentioned on every page that I have post in? I'm definitely not the one dwelling on it, but nobody else seems to be able to get over it.

I have no idea what you're talking about since this is the first time I've seen you post since I heard about the new and improved tag. Lighten up, it was a joke.

Dresden

Colorful:

That was pretty damn good. Loved most of it, although I didn't agree with the ending. The music felt off at times as well - sometimes it just felt intrusive, filling up spaces where silence would've sufficed. Or that guitar riff
after Makoto confronts Hiroka, which just sounded odd.

=spoilers for the ending=

I guess my problem with how it ends is that
throughout most of the movie it builds up this expectation that this is a temporary reprieve for Makoto, and that his stay will be cut short at some point, with his family being forced to suffer that same blow again. This assumption makes stuff like his encounter with Saotome all the more bittersweet, as he works for something that he'll never actually see, just for the sake of this friendship. Instead, well, what happens happens and I think it takes something away from all the events that happen throughout the movie. Things like his apology to Shoko, which was intended as a farewell of sorts, or the fishing trip, or his final conversation with Hiroka - they all lose that bittersweet edge, I guess.

What I did like, however, is that there wasn't a scene where Makoto and his mother have a heart-to-heart about her fling. Instead it was gently nudged aside as he came to an understanding with her over the hot pot, handled naturally without the need for a ton of melodrama; elegantly, I guess, rare in something like animu drama.

Uchip

Banned
Jexhius said:
It evolves.

lupin2.png

Jex

Dresden said:
Colorful:
=spoilers for the ending=

I guess my problem with how it ends is that
throughout most of the movie it builds up this expectation that this is a temporary reprieve for Makoto, and that his stay will be cut short at some point, with his family being forced to suffer that same blow again. This assumption makes his encounter with Saotome all the more bittersweet, as he works for something that he'll never actually see, just for the sake of this friendship.

Instead, well, what happens happens and
I think it takes something away from all the events that happen throughout the movie. Things like his apology to Shoko, which was intended as a farewell of sorts, are robbed of their power, I guess. The ending just felt unsatisfying and jarring compared to the somber, bittersweet mood that the movie had built up prior to it. And Pura-pura's expiatory explanation at the end just felt forced.
Actually it's originally mentioned that
if he does well enough with his 'loan' life then the body he's residing in won't die. Pura-Pura explicitly mentions that if he fails in his task, then the body will die. So we assume that if he completes his task the family won't have to suffer the same blow again. He doesn't explain what would happen if Makoto was successful though, as in, where would his soul go, and then where would the soul of the kid who committed suicide come back from?

In fact, it wouldn't make much sense for the story to proceed in another direction. Let's assume Makoto completes his task successfully. Wherein I suppose he'd be forced to depart and go...where? And why would the original suicide-e be given their life back? They hadn't worked through their issues like Makoto has done.

What's really clever about this plot device is that we never meet the 'original' Makoto, as it were. We don't flashback to him in any particular way. We are told a lot about his character via his dairy entries and the manner in which other characters respond to the "new" Makoto. But, even though we never met the 'original' the fact that the new Makoto is actually the old Makoto means that the actually developed as a person, he overcame the issues which troubled him and he grew substantially as a person.

The movie even drops a fairly heavy set of clues that they are the same. Pura-Pura makes some brief remark that Makoto 'always had a fragile heart' to the 'temporary Makoto', suggesting that they are similar people. The much more direct hint comes from the way 'temporary Makoto' acts towards his mother. During the course of the movie I kept wondering "why is he so furious with his non-mother?". I mean, clearly she betrayed the original Makoto's trust but I couldn't fathom why the temporary-Makoto was this pissed. As far as he knew, she wasn't actually his mother, she was some stranger who he happened to be living with. In such a situation his response seemed really extreme. But once it's revealed that the 'temporary' Makoto IS the real Makoto this his actions and anger and disgust make perfect sense.

It even works with Saotome. Temp-Makoto doesn't know that he's never had a friend, he isn't aware of his past life and he thinks that soon he'll be forced to leave. The fact that he works very hard for this friendship still counts in his and the movies favour because he acted under the original pretence that he'd never reap the reward, which shows what a good act it is. But when you add in the extra layer of understanding, that this is the original Makoto actually making his first real friend, it actually makes the events even more meaningful.

In short I don't think it detracts any thing from the events of the movie, instead it actually makes them better.

Articalys

Izayoi said:
http://i.imgur.com/SzFRk.png[IMG]

Crazy Shrine Maidens is an incredibly accurate subtitle.[/QUOTE]
Did the manga for that ever recover from hiatus? I remember there was some sort of incredibly stupid otaku backlash, then (completely unrelated) the author fell gravely ill, but I don't know what happened after that.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Did the manga for that ever recover from hiatus? I remember there was some sort of incredibly stupid otaku backlash, then (completely unrelated) the author fell gravely ill, but I don't know what happened after that.
Mangaka got deathly ill and is still recovering.

duckroll

Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Not a bad movie for those looking for a fun way of wasting 90mins. It's pretty mindless, but the action ranges from decent to pretty good. Not many awesome set pieces, but it never gets boring. It does feel like a bit of a waste though. After years Madhouse does a theatrical Trigun, and it's just some extended side story which could easily have been a 2-3 episode filler arc in a TV series. But I guess considering the medium production values, it's probably more like an OVA instead.

I wonder if they'll ever do Trigun Maximum...

Edit: As a side note, it's kinda hilarious how Maaya is taking on all sorts of similar "badass chick" roles in the last few years. It's getting kinda dumb now, because I never really felt she was a good fit for any of those roles. Gundam SEED Destiny, World Destruction, Cobra, Canaan, Hellsing Ultimate, Final Fantasy XIII, The 3rd Birthday, Evangelion 2.0, Appleseed XIII, Trigun, the FMA movie, Blade. The list goes on! Lulz.

Izayoi

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, how dare she have had relationships centuries ago, long before Japan developed its current virginity obsession? Unforgivable!
Was it even ever explicitly stated that she wasn't a virgin?

I've never heard her mentioned outside of slut threads and the like, just starting this series now.

Izayoi said:

I've never heard her mentioned outside of slut threads and the like, just starting this series now.
I believe it's only suggested, not clearly stated. Not that the crazy otaku cared about the difference.

BluWacky

duckroll said:
Edit: As a side note, it's kinda hilarious how Maaya is taking on all sorts of similar "badass chick" roles in the last few years. It's getting kinda dumb now, because I never really felt she was a good fit for any of those roles. Gundam SEED Destiny, World Destruction, Cobra, Canaan, Hellsing Ultimate, Final Fantasy XIII, The 3rd Birthday, Evangelion 2.0, Appleseed XIII, Trigun, the FMA movie, Blade. The list goes on! Lulz.

She's in Blade? Yikes.

I don't know whether it's a deliberate choice on her part or not - she does have a naturally quite low speaking voice, but I suspect she either chooses not to take kawaii uguu roles or she simply can't play them - the closest she's come is Kanon or Binbou Shimai Monogatari (neither of which I watched).

It's worth noting, of course, that between all these tough roles she's also playing characters like Rachel Berry on Glee (cluelessly self-obsessed weirdo), Chrona in Soul Eater, dubbing the lead actress in the glamorous K-drama Terroir etc. It's not like she has no range, but I do see your point.

Pure speculation but I suspect after Ouran a bunch of sound directors went "hey! someone other than Paku Romi we can cast in men's roles!" and she's just seized the opportunity.

duckroll

BluWacky said:
Pure speculation but I suspect after Ouran a bunch of sound directors went "hey! someone other than Paku Romi we can cast in men's roles!" and she's just seized the opportunity.

Well, that can't be it. In Ouran she played a girl who pretends to be a boy. This resulted in her being cast in other boy roles such like Chrona and Ciel. I would imagine it's more likely that sometime around 2-3 years ago, her agency simply started looking for more "action packed" female roles for her to expand her range.

I'm not saying she has no range. I just feel that in trying to show that she has a much wider range, her choice of roles have unfortunately started to showcase to me that she isn't completely suited for one particularly type of role which she seems to be taking on more often now.

Originally when she first started out, her roles were that of the passive teenage heroine, who usually has a relationship with the male lead. Obviously it is good that as she grew up, she moved away from roles like that. But right now there are basically 3 types of Maaya roles - The boy-girl (Ouran, Black Butler, Soul Eater), the older female support role (FFVII, MacF, Star Driver, Tatami, Usagi Drop), and the badass chick (everything I mentioned above and more). Out of the three, I definitely feel that she should be building up on the former two, instead of the badass one. It doesn't really fit her voice, and often comes off as trying too hard, and makes the character less likable.

I actually wonder if the push for her to have more badass female lead roles is also part of the plan for her to play more videogame roles, since I hear they pay much better than anime roles. Hmmm... Jeanne, Aegis, Arisa, Lightning, Aya, BlackRock Shooter.... hmmm....

Jex

duckroll said:
Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Not a bad movie for those looking for a fun way of wasting 90mins. It's pretty mindless, but the action ranges from decent to pretty good. Not many awesome set pieces, but it never gets boring. It does feel like a bit of a waste though. After years Madhouse does a theatrical Trigun, and it's just some extended side story which could easily have been a 2-3 episode filler arc in a TV series. But I guess considering the medium production values, it's probably more like an OVA instead..
Too little too late? Hopefully it will be succesful enough to spawn more Trigun, even if I don't feel that the franchise is especially amazing or anything.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Too little too late? Hopefully it will be succesful enough to spawn more Trigun, even if I don't feel that he franchise is especially amazing or anything.

I'm not a big Trigun fan at all. I honestly don't really like the original series or manga much, but I really dig Nightow designs. His character, weapon, and world designs are really interesting, even if his writing and actual plotting usually sucks balls. Trigun and Gungrave are both good testimonies to this.

I wouldn't mind more Trigun, as long as there is good action direction, and the enemies are interesting, but I think what would really be interesting would be to have an all out reimagined climax to the story in theatrical animation format. Vash vs Knives with all the crazy insane nonsense and action they can come up with in feature film quality animation would be really awesome.

Zalasta

Jexhius said:
In short I don't think it detracts any thing from the events of the movie, instead it actually makes them better.

I agree. It wouldn't have made sense
if they weren't the same person. The resolutions with each of the characters would not have much meaning if it was some random stranger making the effort in place of Makoto. The whole point is to give him a (relatively) clean slate so that he could have the 2nd chance to make different choices in life.

zeroshiki

Izayoi said:

I hope no one took my quip seriously. It was an attempt at subtle (wait no, explicit) mockery of psycho otaku who care about shit like that. And its not even true! It was a throwaway comment by the creator that people blew out of proportion.

Steroyd

Well this hasn't happened in a while, Animegaf exploding over something.

Izayoi said:

I believe it was the author that said that when asked the question (*sigh*), and then the nerdrage happened.

The only tag Uchip deserves is something on the line of "Hates loli's, loves furries"

Fuck why why WHY did I decide to savour Gintama and watch in batches, pre-war form? I need to watch this shit NOW, now I've got to magically find time from somewhere to catchup and I'm already a few eps behind on nearly everything else, time to PFP this shit. >_<

Jex

duckroll said:
I wouldn't mind more Trigun, as long as there is good action direction, and the enemies are interesting, but I think what would really be interesting would be to have an all out reimagined climax to the story in theatrical animation format. Vash vs Knives with all the crazy insane nonsense and action they can come up with in feature film quality animation would be really awesome.
That sounds pretty reasonable. I suppose that what I enjoyed about the film is that it is an action adventure, and it's not like that many studios are in a rush to put out an action/adventure movie with broad appeal these days. Apart from BONES I suppose.

Enron

Banned
zeroshiki said:
I heard Enron was offering a bounty for that tag. I expect Enron to pay up sometime soon.

bwahahaha

Uchip said:
I honestly dont know what I did to get enron to hate me

What are you talking about? Nobody hates anyone in animeGAF. We all treat you exactly the same as we treat everyone else, only difference is that YOU CANT TAKE IT. You fly off the handle and start accusing everyone of being mean and insensitive and then bitched all over this thread and in IRC about anyone you thought had "wronged" you. I'm sorry, but we aren't going to stop being who we are just to fit your sensibilities.

Dali

UzpG5.jpg

ZWR9V.jpg

Finished Uninhabited Planet Survive yesterday. It was a nice ride with a bunch of predictable, albeit enjoyable, turns. I think everything was tied up nicely (even if the explanation for
Luna's powers
was lame and didn't make much sense) and the ending was satisfying enough
even if it was a stock happy ending
. I'd have liked to have seen more of an epilogue, but that's a minor complaint. The epilogue and final moments of the last episode could have been given proper attention with one more episode. As it is the last few minutes of wrap-up feels rushed, but as I said it's a minor complaint.

Semi-marathoning it made the annoying characters stand out more than they probably should have. People like Howard you just wish death upon every episode and I'm sure the feeling wouldn't have been so strong if there was a week cool-down between each episode. All-in-all it I'd say it's worth watching, especially to fans of Lost.

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
I'm totally "over" it but it's a fun tag, seriously, I just added you to my 3DS friends list and I was so tempted to put your name as "It's spelled...," yeah I know, not the whole thing but I can't fit it, fucking Nintendo.

I also added CosmicBlizzard and Jman since they were on the googledoc, any other Animegaffers that are saddled have a 3DS that wouldn't mind adding me mine is 4854-6534-4021.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:

Then again she also played the super spacey Tyria in Ar Tonelico Qoga. So there's that.

Steroyd

mAcOdIn said:
I'm totally "over" it but it's a fun tag, seriously, I just added you to my 3DS friends list and I was so tempted to put your name as "It's spelled...," yeah I know, not the whole thing but I can't fit it, fucking Nintendo.

I also added CosmicBlizzard and Jman since they were on the googledoc, any other Animegaffers that are saddled have a 3DS that wouldn't mind adding me mine is 4854-6534-4021.

Whoooooaaaa! 3DS' can do that!?

Damn and I thought the web browser blew my mind.

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
Whoooooaaaa! 3DS' can do that!?

Damn and I thought the web browser blew my mind.
Err.. do what, put a name to a friend code? Sad that with a Nintendo system a person'd get excited over that but yep, it can do it! It's like ICQ in the 90s.

Steroyd

mAcOdIn said:
Err.. do what, put a name to a friend code? Sad that with a Nintendo system a person'd get excited over that but yep, it can do it! It's like ICQ in the 90s.

I came in with no expectations anything is a bonus.

mAcOdIn said:
Amazing how many people think everyone just has to memorize random numbers with friends codes. Don't get me wrong its a horrible system but its no worse then having a new phone number to share.

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
Amazing how many people think everyone just has to memorize random numbers with friends codes. Don't get me wrong its a horrible system but its no worse then having a new phone number to share.
Phone numbers suck too. Screw em, they're outdated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X-Men 10

Man, even though it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show, the script for this episode was supremely terrible. Like, one guy would start doping some exposition, then another fellow would do some exposition on who the first guy is, then the first guy would resume his lengthy exposition lecture. All this in the service of supposedly "dramatic" revelations.

But the animation and the fights were pretty cool. That's the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom