• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pity off topic, but due to the anime, I ordered Wandering Son Manga. Just got it in and turns out... it's hardcore. I never owned Hardcover Manga before :O

Dali

shintoki said:
Pity off topic, but due to the anime, I ordered Wandering Son Manga. Just got it in and turns out... it's hardcore. I never owned Hardcover Manga before :O

We talking Boku no Pico hardcore or more of a La Blue Girl sort of hardcore?

Jex

Iria 1

Damn, this is one fine looking anime. It's not a case that the animation is smooth and interesting to look at, although it's certainly no slouch, but it's more a case that the designs and the world are packed with such an impressive amount of detail. It implies a number of things without spelling anything out, which is nice.

So far there's nothing particularly memorable outside the designs. The story is eh but at least Iria is a fairly neat character. It's rarely the case that I'm watching a 90's OVA for plot anyway, I'm watching to see crazy looking stuff happen. This does not disappoint.

jman2050

Articalys said:
Didn't somebody say a while back that Squid Girl was an infinitely .gif-able series? Well, good news for them, since Media Blasters has licensed Shinryaku! Ika Musume for DVD release, complete with sub and dub. Looks like it'll come in two 6-episode sets.

ndqzqv.gif

Jex

Iria 2

"I've found a sucker". Really? The women with all the guns and weapons and traps who's also clearly a registered hunter (apprentice grade) looks like a sucker? Kid needs to get his eyes checked!

The immortal killing machine is a little bit more bamboozled this episode. Perhaps it's because it's
actually her bother Glen?

iavi

Hey, how do you guy's feel on the idea of a projects budget affecting the team's ability to further tell a story? I brought it up as a passing point yesterday, but then watched the bonus disc with Ponyo, that includes the interview with Miyazaki & Lasseter, and got to thinking a bit deeper on it.

Miyazaki said that in working on Ponyo he told his animators not to worry about technical merit, and instead work on portraying the simplicity, and fun in the scenes. That sounds creatively brilliant and all, but was that request not for the vision of his piece, but the maximization of output?

Anyways, I eventually likened it to being obvious and, like programming on an aging console, you have to learn to maximize returns within the constraints you're given.

Does it really boil down to efficiency though?

And what kind of budget does Ghibli work with anyway?

E: I should also clarify that I mean the animation budget.

Uchip

Banned
Enron said:
bwahahaha

What are you talking about? Nobody hates anyone in animeGAF. We all treat you exactly the same as we treat everyone else, only difference is that YOU CANT TAKE IT. You fly off the handle and start accusing everyone of being mean and insensitive and then bitched all over this thread and in IRC about anyone you thought had "wronged" you. I'm sorry, but we aren't going to stop being who we are just to fit your sensibilities.

we?
its mostly just you
the fact that you continue to harass me even after I asked you not to is the reason I think you hate me. But apparently you dont, which just makes you immature as fuck :)

/XX/

Interesting article about Takami Akai, and GAiNAX as a whole, intention to promote amateur animators as well as other kind of film-makers giving them the same opportunities they had back in the 80's, with the creation of the Yonago Eiga Jihen (米子映画事変) independent film festival. From the overly concentrated and exhausted industry professionals of Tōkyō, to the potential pools of talent present on rural areas:

asahi.com(朝日新聞社):Anime creator hopes to rock subculture from rural area - English
http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201106130079.html

And GAiNAX not only established a representative office in Yonago (Tottori), Japan, but also Mr. Akai is directing, as in the old days, a new 'tokusatsu' movie titled Negiman (ネギマン) to be premiered in the new film festival mentioned above (http://ameblo.jp/yonago-negiman/).

米子映画事変web
http://www.yonago-eiga.com/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Izayoi said:
http://i.imgur.com/4GUqE.png[IMG]

Bahahaha.[/QUOTE]

I loved that part too.

Anyways like I was saying before Hidan no Aria is getting progressively more outrageous by the episode. I'm on episode 7 now.

Okay so when they present that the main character has a special ability I can take that. It works similarly to the way the guy from Wanted's ability worked. He was supposed to be special, now we have people [SPOILER]that can manipulate their hair to use weapons and a person that can control Ice? Another person that is some kind of special Miko that can easily block bullets with their blade?[/SPOILER] The fuck is that? Also why the fuck did they even introduce Aria's ancestor being [SPOILER]Sherlock Holmes[/SPOILER]. I expected them next to say Kinji's ancestor was somehow [SPOILER]Watson[/SPOILER].

/XX/

Miri said:
Miyazaki said that in working on Ponyo he told his animators not to worry about technical merit, and instead work on portraying the simplicity, and fun in the scenes. That sounds creatively brilliant and all, but was that request not for the vision of his piece, but the maximization of output?
I'd like to think the focus on rough and simple work was a stylistic decision, but without more information from them I can't be sure. For several Studio Ghibli projects, even with dangerously close production milestones to meet, they did not modify their technical approach, and simply committed to the same methods working harder enough to reach them in time. Also, I suppose Mr. Miyazaki's Nibariki should not have problems obtaining necessary fundings nowadays.

Jex

/XX/ said:
I'd like to think the focus on rough and simple work was a stylistic decision, but without more information from them I can't be sure. For several Studio Ghibli projects, even with dangerously close production milestones to meet, they did not modify their technical approach, and simply committed to the same methods working harder enough to reach them in time. Also, I suppose Mr. Miyazaki's Nibariki should not have problems obtaining necessary fundings nowadays.
In other words, never sleep!

iavi

/XX/ said:

Haha, I almost feel as if you're bolding of "Mr. Miyazki" is meant to say that I was being disrespectful by not including the "Mr." None intended.

Yeah, I'm actually looking for information as to that, not finding it atm. I don't think Ghibli themselves would have any problems with funding nowadays either, to be honest.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
In other words, never sleep!
Pretty much! We only have to see what they are trying to achieve for the production of From Kokuriko Hill (コクリコ坂から) after all the obvious problems they have now. Absolute madness! As evidence, this links below:

The Ghibli Blog: Studio Ghibli's Plans For Kokuriko-Zaka Kara
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/03/studio-ghiblis-plans-for-kokuriko-zaka.html

The Ghibli Blog: Kokuriko-Zaka Kara Press Conference
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/03/kokuriko-zaka-kara-press-conference.html

The Ghibli Blog: Hayao Miyazaki Discusses His Next Feature Film
http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/03/hayao-miyazaki-discusses-his-next.html

Miri said:
Haha, I almost feel as if you're bolding of "Mr. Miyazki" is meant to say that I was being disrespectful by not including the "Mr." None intended.
Yeah, don't worry! I usually bold all the names on my posts, Miri (see?).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Didn't somebody say a while back that Squid Girl was an infinitely .gif-able series? Well, good news for them, since Media Blasters has licensed Shinryaku! Ika Musume for DVD release, complete with sub and dub. Looks like it'll come in two 6-episode sets.
Wat? Why?
That's some odd milking going on there.

Dali said:
Finished Uninhabited Planet Survive yesterday. It was a nice ride with a bunch of predictable, albeit enjoyable, turns. I think everything was tied up nicely (even if the explanation for
Luna's powers
was lame and didn't make much sense) and the ending was satisfying enough
even if it was a stock happy ending
. I'd have liked to have seen more of an epilogue, but that's a minor complaint. The epilogue and final moments of the last episode could have been given proper attention with one more episode. As it is the last few minutes of wrap-up feels rushed, but as I said it's a minor complaint.

Semi-marathoning it made the annoying characters stand out more than they probably should have. People like Howard you just wish death upon every episode and I'm sure the feeling wouldn't have been so strong if there was a week cool-down between each episode. All-in-all it I'd say it's worth watching, especially to fans of Lost.

I was going to say that this seems like a scifi Robinson Crusoe. I'm curious about how it holds up for 52 episodes if the ending is rushed though.

trejo

Blue Exorcist 9

For a while now it's felt to me like this show's just been going through the motions kinda lazily. My hope is that with the school thing seemingly done with things will start getting more interesting from now on but I'm not really holding my breath.

Truth is I watch mostly for the Shiemi moé.

Dali

firehawk12 said:
I was going to say that this seems like a scifi Robinson Crusoe. I'm curious about how it holds up for 52 episodes if the ending is rushed though.

Here's what I posted yesterday before I watched the final episode.

Dali said:
Just about to start the last episode of Uninhabited Planet Survive! I think this is the first time I finished such a long series (52 episodes) in such a short time. At some point it went from Swiss Family Robinson with kids to JRPG: the series. I love the way the characters (most of them at least) changed through their experiences on the planet and the way the series builds up from having them figuring out the basics of survival to tackling bigger problems and ultimately
the fate of the world
(like I said, JRPG: the series, lol). Seems like it may actually tie everything up in this final episode.

It holds up really well and never seems rushed except for the wrap-up. The pacing was fine. All of the important action had ended and nothing major felt rushed, it's just the few events after the main action was over
specifically the arrival of the aliens right after Luna saved the planet, the kid's trip home, and the epilogue
could have used another episode. Really another five or ten minutes probably could have done the job.

Izayoi

Banned
zeroshiki said:
I hope no one took my quip seriously. It was an attempt at subtle (wait no, explicit) mockery of psycho otaku who care about shit like that. And its not even true! It was a throwaway comment by the creator that people blew out of proportion.
I didn't take it seriously, at least.

Steroyd said:
I believe it was the author that said that when asked the question (*sigh*), and then the nerdrage happened.
Gotta love Japan.

mAcOdIn said:
I'm totally "over" it but it's a fun tag, seriously, I just added you to my 3DS friends list and I was so tempted to put your name as "It's spelled...," yeah I know, not the whole thing but I can't fit it, fucking Nintendo.

I also added CosmicBlizzard and Jman since they were on the googledoc, any other Animegaffers that are saddled have a 3DS that wouldn't mind adding me mine is 4854-6534-4021.
Once you go online the custom names are overwritten by whatever the other person sets anyway, unfortunately. Added you back.

7Th

Yoh Yoshinari cover for the upcoming Panty & Stocking OST/remix album.

<3 Broshinari <3

/XX/ said:
Interesting article about Takami Akai, and GAiNAX as a whole, intention to promote amateur animators as well as other kind of film-makers giving them the same opportunities they had back in the 80's, with the creation of the Yonago Eiga Jihen (&#31859;&#23376;&#26144;&#30011;&#20107;&#22793;) independent film festival. From the overly concentrated and exhausted industry professionals of T&#333;ky&#333;, to the potential pools of talent present on rural areas:

asahi.com&#65288;&#26397;&#26085;&#26032;&#32862;&#31038;&#65289;&#65306;Anime creator hopes to rock subculture from rural area - English
http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201106130079.html

And GAiNAX not only established a representative office in Yonago (Tottori), Japan, but also Mr. Akai is directing, as in the old days, a new 'tokusatsu' movie titled Negiman (&#12493;&#12462;&#12510;&#12531;) to be premiered in the new film festival mentioned above (http://ameblo.jp/yonago-negiman/).

&#31859;&#23376;&#26144;&#30011;&#20107;&#22793;web
http://www.yonago-eiga.com/

Sounds interesting and Gainaxy; I hope everything works well for them.

Ezalc

So I think it was in the old thread that I said I was going to try to finish watching Aria after trying and failing twice. I'm almost done with the second season, and I'm enjoying it as much as I thought if not more than I thought I would. My favorite episode so far was the alternate world one and the ones with Lil' Akatsuki. Both are just too hilarious, I was wondering what the uniform for a male gondolier would be, I'm glad the show eventually answered that question thought I wasn't expecting the form it'd use to answer it. Woody and Akatsuki were my favorite swaps hahaha.

Anyways, I see the thing about getting paired up happening, does Alice get paired up too? It doesn't seem like it'll happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Aria is great. Make sure to watch the current season which is airing on tv right now, as it's the best one yet imo.

http://watchanime24.com/resource/aria-the-scarlet-ammo.jpg[img][/quote]
It's better than that show with the gondolas!

[quote=Izayoi]Does anyone here use Ubuntu? Can you clue me in on how to install MPlayer? The default media players won't work with subtitles and Google turns up a bunch of confusing stuff that makes no sense to me.[/quote]
It's been ages since I used it (back when PS3 had linux), but isn't it a matter of downloading the binaries and just installing it?

Izayoi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
It's been ages since I used it (back when PS3 had linux), but isn't it a matter of downloading the binaries and just installing it?
No binaries, I have to build it myself apparently.

I added the ppa key and updated, but it looks like nothing happened...?

I'm not really sure.

Enron

Banned
Uchip said:
we?
its mostly just you
the fact that you continue to harass me even after I asked you not to is the reason I think you hate me. But apparently you dont, which just makes you immature as fuck :)

Dude, you started talking ABOUT ME several posts up. Did you expect me to not respond? Im just telling you like it is. I'm not harrassing you. First it was duckroll is so mean bawww then its enron is so mean baawwww. We've got logs. Do we need to post them?

After this post, I think I'm done with this. You can't even take just a little bit of teasing, nor did you want to take any advice when it was offered up. Stop with the victim complex. Life will be a lot more enjoyable once you do.

Izayoi

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Install Windows and use MPC then!
I would if I could. ;_;

I was using MPC up until just a few hours ago, when my SSD shit out on me completely.

RMA'ing it and have only storage drives right now, so I'm using a Live Ubuntu USB installation so I can still use my computer while I wait for the drive to get back.

NewFresh

Haven't kept up with the Anime thread because I have been watching too much anime.

But I have a question...

I have only ever been to one Anime convention but can someone explain the fascination with American voice actors who do English dubs for shows?

Gvaz

Banned
Just stream your files over on the ps3 with showtime and stop using linux on your ps3.

That's what you're doing right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Haven't kept up with the Anime thread because I have been watching too much anime.

But I have a question...

I have only ever been to one Anime convention but can someone explain the fascination with American voice actors who do English dubs for shows?
It's like any pseudo-celebrity culture, I suppose. Lots of kids can only watched animu dubbed, for whatever reason.

Izayoi

Banned
Gvaz said:
Just stream your files over on the ps3 with showtime and stop using linux on your ps3.

That's what you're doing right?
No, my SSD is shot and I've only got storage drives right now. I don't have room to shuffle files around and format a disk to use as a boot disk, so that means that until my SSD gets back from RMA I'm stuck with a Live USB installation of Linux. It doesn't have to be Ubuntu, but I was told that it was the easiest to work with.

If this is "easy", I want nothing to do with the other distros.

Gvaz

Banned
Izayoi said:
No, my SSD is shot and I've only got storage drives right now. I don't have room to shuffle files around and format a disk to use as a boot disk, so that means that until my SSD gets back from RMA I'm stuck with a Live USB installation of Linux. It doesn't have to be Ubuntu, but I was told that it was the easiest to work with.

If this is "easy", I want nothing to do with the other distros.
I see.

Well Linux is a tad harder in the sense you have to configure a few things at first that windows would otherwise automate, but it does give you more control over your system.

But yes, I would say Ubuntu is the easiest distro to get into.

VLC really isn't that bad.

I mostly only use it on my windows machine when I have improperly encoded wmv or avi files which makes MPC shit the bed, but VLC will just ignore half the bad data (i suppose that's what's going on) and play it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom