• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
firehawk12 said:
It's like any pseudo-celebrity culture, I suppose. Lots of kids can only watched animu dubbed, for whatever reason.
I find with subs I pay too much attention, or rather my focus on the movie/show isn't centered on what the authors originally intended, on the subtitles instead of the show itself.

I'm not really capable of reading in the peripheral, so by having a dub I can just pay attention and study the media properly (as probably was intended)

NewFresh

Gvaz said:
I find with subs I pay too much attention, or rather my focus on the movie/show isn't centered on what the authors originally intended, on the subtitles instead of the show itself.

I'm not really capable of reading in the peripheral, so by having a dub I can just pay attention and study the media properly (as probably was intended)

Paying attention to the media itself is indeed the point, but I think that a lot of people (Most of GAF) are very capable of reading while paying attention.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Haven't kept up with the Anime thread because I have been watching too much anime.

But I have a question...

I have only ever been to one Anime convention but can someone explain the fascination with American voice actors who do English dubs for shows?

Y'know, I honestly didn't realize that this was the case. I would figured it would be the opposite from my years on the internet. Though maybe things have changed? I dunno, I've pretty much stop caring about the dub vs. sub debate a long time ago.

NewFresh

NotebookJ2 said:
Y'know, I honestly didn't realize that this was the case. I would figured it would be the opposite from my years on the internet. Though maybe things have changed? I dunno, I've pretty much stop caring about the dub vs. sub debate a long time ago.

I think it is a large group of people who get their anime fix from things like Adult Swim or Cartoon Network

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Haven't kept up with the Anime thread because I have been watching too much anime.

But I have a question...

I have only ever been to one Anime convention but can someone explain the fascination with American voice actors who do English dubs for shows?
Same reason people are fascinated with Japanese voice actors.

Lain

Gvaz said:

It's kinda similar for me.
With a good dub there is a better sense of immersion since I can focus my attention on what's going on on screen and not on pausing to read some text before it disappears.
But I can't be bothered to remember most voice actors names.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lain said:
It's kinda similar for me.
With a good dub there is a better sense of immersion since I can focus my attention on what's going on on screen and not on pausing to read some text before it disappears.
But I can't be bothered to remember most voice actors names.
My problem is that dubs are necessarily made to fit the Japanese lip-syncing, so the characters all speak some kind of heightened pseudo-English that does not come close to "American" English (not to mention there's some weird half localization that happens with shows set in Japan and the average performances that some people turn in). It's much more distracting than reading subs ever could be to me. But then again, I've always had closed captioning on since I bought a TV that had that feature 10 years ago, so I'm totally used to reading and watching the TV at the same time.

Jex

Gvaz said:

I don't think anyone would deny that there is some kind of split of attention when watching a work with subtitles. If you have a great dub I suppose that would be the ideal way to experience something, but in 98% of cases the original Japanese language track is superior. It's not something super specific to anime of course, it pretty much goes for any work in a language you don't understand. Subtitles are not the ideal solution perhaps but they're far better than a weak or average dub.

Uchip

Banned
Enron said:
Dude, you started talking ABOUT ME several posts up. Did you expect me to not respond? Im just telling you like it is. I'm not harrassing you. First it was duckroll is so mean bawww then its enron is so mean baawwww. We've got logs. Do we need to post them?

After this post, I think I'm done with this. You can't even take just a little bit of teasing, nor did you want to take any advice when it was offered up. Stop with the victim complex. Life will be a lot more enjoyable once you do.

lmao
im not even going to read your garbage
and im not going on irc, so its done, now shh

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
My problem is that dubs are necessarily made to fit the Japanese lip-syncing, so the characters all speak some kind of heightened pseudo-English that does not come close to "American" English (not to mention there's some weird half localization that happens with shows set in Japan and the average performances that some people turn in). It's much more distracting than reading subs ever could be to me. But then again, I've always had closed captioning on since I bought a TV that had that feature 10 years ago, so I'm totally used to reading and watching the TV at the same time.
Yeah, for some reason I also used to use CC for normal TV broadcasts even though I didn't need it. I only stopped when I got a new TV that made it impractical to easily turn on and off. Split attention only becomes an issue if there's some detail-heavy scene at the same time as some sort of plot-critical dialogue. Thinking back to the last couple of shows I watched dubbed, I don't know if it felt like I was able to pay more attention to the scene or not with the text gone. It's a pretty difficult thing to measure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Yeah, for some reason I also used to use CC for normal TV broadcasts even though I didn't need it. I only stopped when I got a new TV that made it impractical to easily turn on and off. Split attention only becomes an issue if there's some detail-heavy scene at the same time as some sort of plot-critical dialogue. Thinking back to the last couple of shows I watched dubbed, I don't know if it felt like I was able to pay more attention to the scene or not with the text gone. It's a pretty difficult thing to measure.
Yeah, it's strange. I know that in games, it makes me want to skip cutscenes (which is horrible in something like LA Noire, where you can't skip them), so I know it's a distraction... but then again, that's probably because cutscenes are the least important part of a video game.

I have pretty much no problems with films/televisions and CC/subs though. It just seems natural to me to have them on if they're available.

Articalys

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, it's strange. I know that in games, it makes me want to skip cutscenes (which is horrible in something like LA Noire, where you can't skip them), so I know it's a distraction... but then again, that's probably because cutscenes are the least important part of a video game.

I have pretty much no problems with films/televisions and CC/subs though. It just seems natural to me to have them on if they're available.
The other thing that probably affects their distraction (or lack thereof) is the styling. Most of the closed caption I used to use for broadcast TV was the standard normal white text in a black bar, though most newer TVs let you customize the font and transparency and stuff like that. As for modern anime streaming, I grabbed three examples from Crunchyroll, Viz on Hulu, and Funimation on YouTube:

http://i.imgur.com/oBtGW.png
http://i.imgur.com/kFs85.png
http://i.imgur.com/YQ1hR.png

And then the older DVD stuff, like Lain and Evangelion, has the yellow text they liked to use back then.

30 year old virgin

Main dude looks the best in this version of the credits. He also looks badass as hell at the end of those. I hope he and the virgin king have some awesome fights next episode. If only being a virgin was this cool in real life.

Enron

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
My God, if this game is even 10% as good as its animated OP, we're talking PSP RPG of the Forever here. And the PSP is well-renowned for it's excellent RPG library so I am saying a lot.

You just know this is going to end up average, though. I can feel it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
EXXDD.jpg

Trojita said:
I loved that part too.

Anyways like I was saying before Hidan no Aria is getting progressively more outrageous by the episode. I'm on episode 7 now.

Okay so when they present that the main character has a special ability I can take that. It works similarly to the way the guy from Wanted's ability worked. He was supposed to be special, now we have people
that can manipulate their hair to use weapons and a person that can control Ice? Another person that is some kind of special Miko that can easily block bullets with their blade?
The fuck is that? Also why the fuck did they even introduce Aria's ancestor being
Sherlock Holmes
. I expected them next to say Kinji's ancestor was somehow
Watson

Let's travel back in time to the first Spring thread and see what we can dig up? Elementary, my dear Watson! I-I-I wasn't digging up my old post just for you! I was just casually browsing through pages of the old thread and happened to find it! ...Baka.

duckroll said:
Did you play Last Ranker?

Nope, never heard of it until you mentioned it. The Wikipedia entry on it is pretty sparse, other than the main character is apparently named Zig and you move him for Great Justice. :3

This very old link claims that NISA has already secured the rights to the game and will release it in North America and Europe. Which of course is dubious since NIS America doesn't release games in Europe, and NIS doesn't have a European distribution arm.

duckroll

Unknown Soldier said:
Nope, never heard of it until you mentioned it. The Wikipedia entry on it is pretty sparse, other than the main character is apparently named Zig and you move him for Great Justice. :3

You should check it out. It's probably going to be the closest to BRS in terms of gameplay.

This very old link claims that NISA has already secured the rights to the game and will release it in North America and Europe. Which of course is dubious since NIS America doesn't release games in Europe, and NIS doesn't have a European distribution arm.

Imageepoch says that NISA is supposed to distribute their titles in the US. But NISA themselves have said nothing of it.

/XX/

7Th said:
Speaking of Yō Yoshinari, now I find even more funny those rumors originated recently (from the usual sources) about Mr. Yoshinari possibility of leaving GAiNAX, or better said as not working regularly with them anymore, because some people thought he under-delivered on his compromise of making "as many big action scenes as he can" for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, even when he made much of the work for episode #11A Once Upon a Time in Garterbelt and collaborated heavily on the series concepts as seen on The Art Of PSG VOL.1. They also pointed at that time his absence, as of late, in talks, events and even those typical collaborative 'dōjin' from GAiNAX, included the new charity one Believe in Yourself (自分を信じて) with illustrations from one of the works Mr. Yoshinari was involved the most, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (http://talkliveanimated.web.fc2.com/index.html).

Seeing things like that cover 7th posted is a sign of additional relief for me!

Izayoi said:
Does anyone here use Ubuntu? Can you clue me in on how to install MPlayer? The default media players won't work with subtitles and Google turns up a bunch of confusing stuff that makes no sense to me.
Izayoi, I've sent you a 'Private Message' with instructions. Hope I can help you with this!

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
I came in with no expectations anything is a bonus.
You know it can do 3d right?
:)

In all seriousness setting your expectations that low was probably a good choice.
Izayoi said:
Once you go online the custom names are overwritten by whatever the other person sets anyway, unfortunately. Added you back.
No, no custom name for you? No! Thanks for adding me back though, yay!

Also Gunsmith Cats was pretty fun. I added Rally Vincent to the list.

Steroyd

akachan ningen said:
Can someone explain the zawa zawa thing to me? I've seen every ep of Kaiji and I don't get it.

In season 1 it used to signal despair, but in the season 2 it's turned into some sort of theme.

mAcOdIn said:
You know it can do 3d right?
:)

I wouldn't know, I havn't bought a single 3DS game, oh snap. :O

Cwarrior

Seins; Gate 11

kyoma loseing it,am going to make a wild guess and say the spy is mayushi, that she been sent by sern to to spy on kyoma since childhood

/XX/

In the next link you can see the first trailer of the new GAiNAX animation production Bibliotheca Mystica de Dantalian (ダンタリアンの書架):

TVアニメーション『ダンタリアンの書架』PV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7U3VHakgY

Also today (June, 15) has been announced a exhibition to be held in Tōkyō, Japan, dedicated to the labor of the recently deceased Satoshi Kon. It will be called Kon's Retrospective (http://konstone.s-kon.net/modules/info/index.php?page=article&storyid=66):

回顧展のお知らせ | 夢みる機械 said:
Satoshi Kon's retrospective

2011 August 12- August 24
at Shinjukugarou(http://www.gankagarou.com/) in Shinjuku

This exhibition had been held 3 years ago, called "十年の土産".
Now we entitled it as"千年の土産"and hold at same place.

Exhibition content
Illustrations :they were produced for animation
Manga's original drawing
Personal sketch etc...

At gallery space
"Satoshi Kon illustration BOX"sales
But it is sales only of 100 sets because of early sales.
There is a souvenir to the buyer.
Sales of goods that treat his painting
Video screening of his talk event

Please see by all means.

Thank you.
http://yumemirukikai.jugem.jp/?eid=60

Jex

duckroll said:
Looks pretty bad. Bland generic art, generic character designs, uninteresting animation, shitty backgrounds. Nothing to see here. :(
It's like Gosick lives again!
akachan ningen said:
Can someone explain the zawa zawa thing to me? I've seen every ep of Kaiji and I don't get it.
It's a made up sound effect like "moo" "rustle" "BOOM" "fizzle" etc. Except that it translates to "the sound of dramatic tension".

BluWacky

akachan ningen said:

Quite frequently the hiragana ざわ will appear in the background art. It's an onomatopaeic word that's supposed to convey the idea of uneasiness or nervousness. It appears so frequently that it's become a quirk of the show that fans, both Japanese and Western, have latched onto.

Like in this picture:

04.jpg

faridmon

Reading this thread, I guess I am the only one who thinks IroHana is just a mediocre show. Granted I haven't watched the last episode, but the slice-of-life aspect of it just goes out of the window and it does not come close to be a gag Anime. Too bad because the direction of the first 2 episode were great, but it seems that they just threw bunch of ideas together hoping to get a meaningful Anime out of it, which I think, clearly they never manage to get it.

Just a general question but was Highschool of the Dead really questionably bad? I had it on preorder here, but after reading some of ANN's review, they make it sounds like it was just kind of terrible? I thought the plot was intriguing but yeah.

faridmon

Dedication Through Light said:
Just a general question but was Highschool of the Dead really questionably bad? I had it on preorder here, but after reading some of ANN's review, they make it sounds like it was just kind of terrible? I thought the plot was intriguing but yeah.
Personally, I think its terrible. Its an Anime thats play around fan service and ideas from other stuff which have zombies as the main plotline. It doesn't diffrentiate enough from other zombie survivel piece of entertainments like Waling of the Dead or Left for Dead games. There are some great moments that makes you go ''I like the way they think'' but thats far in between.

Also, the fan service is the most shamless thing I have experienceed in the medium which is more than silly. Also, never take ANN opinbion on anything.

tiff

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
The fanservice is the only part I enjoyed about the show, really.

Even that only got good once the fanservice stopped focusing on girls who were being eaten by zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom