• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Dedication Through Light said:
Just a general question but was Highschool of the Dead really questionably bad? I had it on preorder here, but after reading some of ANN's review, they make it sounds like it was just kind of terrible? I thought the plot was intriguing but yeah.
Its more of a stupid fun show. Its bad and you will know its bad, but still fun too watch.

Even if it's supposed to be stupid fun, it pretty much crossed the line into just plain stupid with the Bullet Boob Time thing.

I mean I'm not one to complain about fanservice [I tend to avoid shows that do it usually] but even so... why.

Enron said:
You just know this is going to end up average, though. I can feel it.

If nothing else, the Manabu Namiki soundtrack at least will be great. I'm considering getting the White Premium Edition for that alone.

duckroll said:
Imageepoch says that NISA is supposed to distribute their titles in the US. But NISA themselves have said nothing of it.

The president of NISA has confirmed the partnership. On the other hand, NISA hasn't said anything about specific Imageepoch titles, so we can't know what games will be part of the deal.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just a general question but was Highschool of the Dead really questionably bad? I had it on preorder here, but after reading some of ANN's review, they make it sounds like it was just kind of terrible? I thought the plot was intriguing but yeah.

The fanservice is what most people complain about. It seems to get worse as it progresses

The first 1-3 episodes are fairly decent, but it is just downhill from there on.

Instro

NotebookJ2 said:
Even if it's supposed to be stupid fun, it pretty much crossed the line into just plain stupid with the Bullet Boob Time thing.

I mean I'm not one to complain about fanservice [I tend to avoid shows that do it usually] but even so... why.
Well I look at it this way. Since they chose to do fanservice they might as well ramp it up to 11 to match the rest of the ridiculousness in the show. That's way more fun than just doling out the same old panty shot fanservice.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
duckroll said:
Looks pretty bad. Bland generic art, generic character designs, uninteresting animation, shitty backgrounds. Nothing to see here. :(
I think you're missing the one biggest count against it: it's a Gainax show without obvious fanservice!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Late to the party by a few days but episode 11 of Hanasaku iroha was really great, there was a lot of convenient writing (especially that ending) but the tone and direction of the episode was pretty damn strong, with lots of excellent character scenes, so far the show is on a roll in terms of consistency + quality, i hope it keeps it up!

It's like Gosick lives again!
Except as i said before pre-release - DNS will be the better show or at least more watchable out of the two, hope I'm right in my predictions!

Jex

M_Night said:
The fanservice is what most people complain about. It seems to get worse as it progresses.
Or the fanservice becomes more amazing!. The ridiculous fanservice was the only amusing thing about that work.

Lain

I think it's a good show. Over the top action with over the top fanservice.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Unknown Soldier said:
Let's travel back in time to the first Spring thread and see what we can dig up? Elementary, my dear Watson! I-I-I wasn't digging up my old post just for you! I was just casually browsing through pages of the old thread and happened to find it! ...Baka.

What's the Jesus thing in the OP for then?

Jex

GaoGaiGar 31

I have to admit, I had no idea where this show would be headed, after the last arc's conclusion. I just assumed things would calm down a little. Turns out they're getting AMAZING.

I thought Pizza's design was too awesome to loose!

kiryogi

Banned
Steins Gate 11: Things finally got real.

HeartCatch Precure 30-39 and Movie: Sunshine was awesome . . . But goddamn, with the return of Moonlight and the new power ups, the awesome increases tenfold! Moonlight is so badass! Also, Erika trying to clean her room with her precure powers is just major win. Erika still my favorite! :D

Izayoi said:
Not a fan of rape eyes?

Br41z.png

I AM. Where is this from?

trejo

HotD is stupid but fun. I could've done without the boob bounce sound effects for the teacher, however.

Lafiel said:
Except as i said before pre-release - DNS will be the better show or at least more watchable out of the two, hope I'm right in my predictions!
Not like being better than Gosick would be an amazing feat or anything.

Jex

Vampire Princess Miyu 16

Death is nothing but a sweet release, so live with the suffering.

Hey wait, wasn't that the theme of the last episode as well?

duckroll said:
You should check it out. It's probably going to be the closest to BRS in terms of gameplay.

Hmm, okay.

Imageepoch says that NISA is supposed to distribute their titles in the US. But NISA themselves have said nothing of it.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. At the very least I can see NISA distributing it over PSN only in North America since I don't think the PSP UMD market is doing well at all anywhere that isn't Japan these days.

Jexhius said:
Just like the BRS anime!

Your suffering will be beyond mortal comprehension! Even though you acknowledge the awesomeness that is K-ON!

It was unquestionably awesome, but it seems we have a number of posters here who are allergic to breasts. The story isn't anything special, the usual surviving the zombie apocalypse narrative, but what sets HSotD apart is the blatant pandering of zombie killing and boobies bouncing. If for some reason you are sexually defective (or possibly female) and cannot appreciate the sight of bouncing boobies, then you should steer clear. Otherwise it's all aboard for Matrix Boobs!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well my TV just shipped so I guess I'll buy the first volume of Yu Yu Hakusho on Blu-ray. I wanted to get Ouran on Blu-ray as well but it's $45 on Amazon right now.

Fugu

Have any of you seen Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below? I am all kinds of enthused but I think it's going to be awhile before it's available to watch here.

Izayoi said:
I liked BRS.

;_;

You weren't here when I was posting about it. The sheer might of the Monocle Brigade here can be overwhelming at times, but you must fight on! FIGHTO!

Team Waifu 11:

Well, okay. I'm not sure what that whole thing was about. In this episode, we find that Ohana's mom is still a bitch, Ko-zone is still wishy-washy, and Ohana is still unable to express how she feels about anything to anyone. So, business as usual. Ko-zone and Ohana are cute when they are being awkward around each other now. What exactly the hell were Min-tsun and Toh-pimp doing at the end in the van, anyways? Did they drive all the way to Tokyo to look for Ohana? And why is the PV trying to hard to troll us with Toh-pimp x Ohana?

Izayoi

Banned
Kannagi 1-14 - Fucking non-endings. A real shame about the mangaka getting sick. Does anyone know how much further along the manga is compared to the anime? I really enjoyed the show. It was a little slow at times, but I loved all of the characters (a rare occurrence for me, there's usually at least one main character in the show that makes my skin crawl). Definitely needs a second season some time down the road.

wsippel

Banned
Not at all. It's a very enjoyable show. It's a quite over the top in almost every aspect, and I can see why it might not be for everyone, but I had a lot of fun with it, and I can't wait for season 2.

BluWacky

Fugu said:
Have any of you seen Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below? I am all kinds of enthused but I think it's going to be awhile before it's available to watch here.

Not sure if any of us are actually in Japan.

The only review I've found says it's terrible, but... never mind.

Weirdly, the only Shinkai I've seen is Beyond the Clouds, which... is a weird little film.

duckroll said:
Like all true works of art, it is often misunderstood and under-appreciated.

Spoken like a true appreciator of the art form! :3

I really liked the BRS OVA because it had a simple but sweet story and executed it well. For a franchise based on a single drawing and a song, it didn't attempt any stupid pretentiousness to make up for its humble origins, and I can respect that.

BluWacky said:
Weirdly, the only Shinkai I've seen is Beyond the Clouds, which... is a weird little film.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days is actually my favorite Shinkai film. It's also his only full-length feature film (except this new one I guess?), Voices of the Distant Star is an OVA and 5 Centimeters Per Second is a shorter length work as well.

Cwarrior

My free Mirc stoped working now after 38days, try to uninstall it and install it again but still doesn't work.

is there another way to get on irc(or is irc link dead?)

Dog Days 11

I feel really dumb for never realizing until now that Yukikaze was a fox and not a dog.

Seems like the conflict isn't over yet if the ending is anything to go by. 2 episodes to go, so I wonder what could happen.

Cwarrior said:
My free Mirc stoped working now after 38days, try to uninstall it and install it again but still doesn't work.

is there another way to get on irc(or is irc link dead?)

Download Chatzilla and sign on that way?

Fugu

Unknown Soldier said:
The Place Promised in Our Early Days is actually my favorite Shinkai film. It's also his only full-length feature film (except this new one I guess?), Voices of the Distant Star is an OVA and 5 Centimeters Per Second is a shorter length work as well.
I love Place Promised in Our Early Days, although my favorite would certainly be Five Centimeters Per Second.

I'm hoping this becomes available soon enough.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Dog Days 11

I feel really dumb for never realizing until now that Yukikaze was a fox and not a dog.

you could have told someone they were all cats and they would believe you

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Uchip said:
you could have told someone they were all cats and they would believe you
An anthropomorphic animal connoisseur like yourself could clear up the confusion I'd imagine.

Uchip

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
An anthropomorphic animal connoisseur like yourself could clear up the confusion I'd imagine.

one artist isnt really a connoisseur...
just saying that kemonomimi are usually indistinguishable
im sure Hugh Hefner could enlighten us though

Steroyd

Unknown Soldier said:
It was unquestionably awesome, but it seems we have a number of posters here who are allergic to breasts. The story isn't anything special, the usual surviving the zombie apocalypse narrative, but what sets HSotD apart is the blatant pandering of zombie killing and boobies bouncing. If for some reason you are sexually defective (or possibly female) and cannot appreciate the sight of bouncing boobies, then you should steer clear. Otherwise it's all aboard for Matrix Boobs!

Whoa whoa timeout, there's nothing wrong with boobs, but HSOD had everyone G cup standard DOA style age 99 boob physics topped of with their own seperate sound effect, I like to stare at breasts of my own free will rather than be told to STARE AT TEH BEWBS.

That show did provide a good zombie kill of the week gif material and uhm... that's all I've got, oh and TEH BEWBS.

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
I wouldn't know, I havn't bought a single 3DS game, oh snap. :O
Lol, me neither.
cosmicblizzard said:
Dog Days 11

Seems like the conflict isn't over yet if the ending is anything to go by. 2 episodes to go, so I wonder what could happen.
It's my bet that the "conflict" left is the terms for sending the Hero back to his world. It'll be something contrived to create drama, like it will require a sacrifice of a person or swords and they'll have to find a way around that or, what I think is more likely, if he is sent back he can never return, he will lose his memories of everyone or he'll lose his memories and can never return.

That will be what the conflict is.

Uchip

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

thought you were one of them

Izayoi

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Even I know well enough to leave Strike Witches alone.
Well, a friend gave it to me so now I kind of have to watch it (he's joining the military and selling/giving most of his stuff away). I would feel bad otherwise.

mAcOdIn

Izayoi said:
Well, he gave me all of his anime DVD's and Blu-rays, and SW happened to be on the top.
Well, what else is in there? Hopefully he just wanted you to start with the worst and Spice and Wolf is on the bottom because it's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom