• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Izayoi said:
Well, a friend gave it to me so now I kind of have to watch it (he's joining the military and selling/giving most of his stuff away). I would feel bad otherwise.

that is exactly the same situation i was in
so now im going to have to tell you to watch it

zeroshiki

mAcOdIn said:
Well, what else is in there? Hopefully he just wanted you to start with the worst and Spice and Wolf is on the bottom because it's the best.

It starts with Strike Witches and ends with School Days.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Izayoi said:
Well, a friend gave it to me so now I kind of have to watch it (he's joining the military and selling/giving most of his stuff away). I would feel bad otherwise.
Sometimes you just have to say no.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So I stopped watching Ano Hana and Iroha around episode 6/7. Is it worth watching the rest of either?

mAcOdIn

Hitokage said:
Sometimes you just have to say no.
Clearly his best course of action is to wait until his "friend" is in a few weeks of basic and then mail him the Strike Witches DVD/Bluray back with a nice letter thanking him for letting him borrow it. I'm sure the Drill Sergeant/Instructor will get a kick out of opening that package in front of everyone.

Dance In My Blood said:
So I stopped watching Ano Hana and Iroha around episode 6/7. Is it worth watching the rest of either?

Ohana is not amused by your lack of vision.
nope.jpg

dimb

firehawk12 said:
Eh... probably not, if you went out of your way to drop them.
It wasn't that I found them to be unenjoyable, I just fell out of sync and I guess they weren't gripping enough to be the kind of thing I had to keep up on.

Cwarrior

Dance In My Blood said:

anohan- well if you wanna get it over and done with, not many eps left(only 11eps in total).

iroha- nothings changed still really boring

But you could be watching better things like stiens gate and tiger&bunny.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Yeah I think the US release got downgraded.
It was supposed to be a DVD/Blu Ray combo pack originally but something happened and it got downgraded, yeah. I'm reading that the Blu Rays are coming later, but it's just from forums posts so I can't really check for myself.

Dance In My Blood said:
It's HD streaming on Netflix at the very least.
If only I had Netflix.

Strike Witches is the kind of show I'd rather have on my shelf anyway.

dimb

Cwarrior said:
anohan- well if you wanna get it over and done with not many eps left

iroha- nothing changed still really boring

But you could be watching better things like stiens gate and tiger&bunny.
Tiger & Bunny I'm lock step with. It's great. Stiens Gate I intend to get around to sooner or later. Glad to hear positive things about it.

Softenni 10 - Worst episode of the series yet? The first part of this series is centered around a tasteless joke, and then the next part is moronic and insulting. Great. Too bad, this show had been pretty funny for a while.

For some details, the first part introduces a new girl who joins the team. She can see ghosts. Two years ago, her sister died on the way to a soft tennis match when she was hit by a car; her sister here was watching at the time. Um, that's by far the most serious thing mentioned in this show so far. That's not the bad part, though... that came next, when she said, apparently seriously, that at the time she thought that the tennis ball her sister was carrying would protect her from the oncoming truck, only to realize a moment later that it was too small, so her sister was killed.

WHAT? Who in the world thought that that was an appropriate joke to make... that's just wrong.

So, then they get her to join the team. Oh, the search for new members (they want a 6th so they can have three doubles pairs) was kind of amusing, they wear quite gaudy costumes and then run around chasing down everyone they can think of. The scene got old by the end of it, though. This just isn't a good episode. The characters then learn that the new girl's sister's ghost hasn't passed on and instead is in this girl's body, and occasionally possesses it. Her sister is very good at soft tennis and is very competitive, making her quite unlike the shy girl she normally is; when possessed her hair and teeth turn spiky. Yeah, kind of stupid but maybe amusing.

Then, the team learns that they have to pass their tests or they can't participate in matches, right after we are reminded that two of them are idiots who hate studying -- our MC got a 15 on her most recent test for instance, and one of the other girls gives a speech about how she only goes to school for the clubs and hates classes and studying. Um, great priorities there. But because they have to pass, the team decides to hold a study session... at the coach's apartment. Um, yeah.

Once there, the idiocy kicks into full gear again as, as soon as they see that the place is a mess, the girls all decide to clean it up for him. Most of the rest of the episode is taken up with this stupid and lame scene. As if people would actually do that? Yeah right. And it's not very funny either.

Then, they finally get around to studying. Yeah, trying to cram all of it the night before... good luck there. This is the best part of the episode, but it's still not above average. Somehow the two in trouble manage to pass... the powers of fiction helped them perhaps? :)

So yeah, overall, probably the worst episode of the series yet.

trejo said:
Not like being better than Gosick would be an amazing feat or anything.

Except for episode 18's ending, Gosick is mostly good.

Of course, the end of that episode was really, REALLY messed up, but still, apart from that it's mostly good...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dance In My Blood said:
It wasn't that I found them to be unenjoyable, I just fell out of sync and I guess they weren't gripping enough to be the kind of thing I had to keep up on.
They're very much the same now, so... I mean, it's not like they're going to get "good" by the time you catch up anyway.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
They're very much the same now, so... I mean, it's not like they're going to get "good" by the time you catch up anyway.
Dude. C'mon now. This isn't like Kimi Ni Todoke, where people can have differing opinions, you're now suggesting people stop watching actually good shows! Objectively.

Especially when Ano Hana just had one of it's worst episodes and Hanasaku Iroha had one of it's best.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Dude. C'mon now. This isn't like Kimi Ni Todoke, you're now suggesting people stop watching actually good shows!
If you're bored with a show, why would you keep watching if it hasn't done anything new/exciting/interesting/different unless you hate yourself?
I shouldn't talk because I finished Lost and Infinite Stratos, but I hate myself.

Also, even with the few days to cool down, I still think last week's episode of HanaIro was just horrible writing that exposed the very thin threads tying this very average slice of life/jdrama angst romance together. Once you see the man behind the curtain (or see how beef is made, I suppose), the magic is gone.

Branduil said:
He's also implying Ano Hana didn't lurch into trainwreck territory.
No, they're both trainwrecks. AnoHana is just more forgivable because it aimed to be a trainwreck the moment it started. :p

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
If you're bored with a show, why would you keep watching if it hasn't done anything new/exciting/interesting/different unless you hate yourself?
I shouldn't talk because I finished Lost and Infinite Stratos, but I hate myself.

Also, even with the few days to cool down, I still think last week's episode of HanaIro was just horrible writing that exposed the very thin threads tying this very average slice of life/jdrama angst romance together. Once you see the man behind the curtain (or see how beef is made, I suppose), the magic is gone.

No, they're both trainwrecks. AnoHana is just more forgivable because it aimed to be a trainwreck the moment it started. :p

Eh? I don't get how HanaIro is supposedly horribly contrived plot when its better than 99% of anime out there.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
You're suggesting that Hansaku Iroha is a trainwreck because it had drama in an episode. I don't know if it's possible to usefully engage with such position when I find it difficult to grasp on a fundamental level.
zeroshiki said:
Eh? I don't get how HanaIro is supposedly horribly contrived plot when its better than 99% of anime out there.
That's saying that it's better than a lot of shit, which isn't the same as saying it's legitimately good, which is a claim I'd like to make.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
You're suggesting that Hansaku Iroha is a trainwreck because it had drama in an episode. I don't know if it's possible to usefully engage with such position when I find it difficult to grasp on a fundamental level.
Eh, I've broken it down a few days ago. It's a writer trying to breakdown a character that was perfectly fine with being put in bondage only a few weeks/months ago. So either it's poorly written because it wasn't thought about early on (ie, Lost) or it's poorly written because the writers didn't communicate with each other/the series bible is a piece of shit. Whatever the reason, it's tonally inconsistent and bordered on the ridiculous since it literally stopped short of Ohana being grabbed by a couple of creepy raper dudes.

Branduil said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/sports/terry0ixv.gif[img][/quote]
Kobe?

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Eh, I've broken it down a few days ago. It's a writer trying to breakdown a character that was perfectly fine with being put in bondage only a few weeks/months ago. So either it's poorly written because it wasn't thought about early on (ie, Lost) or it's poorly written because the writers didn't communicate with each other/the series bible is a piece of shit. Whatever the reason, it's tonally inconsistent and bordered on the ridiculous since it literally stopped short of Ohana being grabbed by a couple of creepy raper dudes.
I know that I don't really want to know, but what does that have to do with anything? And how is that the same level as Ano Hana where the wheels came off the entire plot and all the characters collapsed?

Jexhius said:
Iria 1

Damn, this is one fine looking anime. It's not a case that the animation is smooth and interesting to look at, although it's certainly no slouch, but it's more a case that the designs and the world are packed with such an impressive amount of detail. It implies a number of things without spelling anything out, which is nice.

So far there's nothing particularly memorable outside the designs. The story is eh but at least Iria is a fairly neat character. It's rarely the case that I'm watching a 90's OVA for plot anyway, I'm watching to see crazy looking stuff happen. This does not disappoint.
Yeah, agreed... the story's not amazing, but it's mostly good enough, and the action and animation (and, yes, the detail of the art design) are pretty good. And yeah, Iria is a good character. The series does have a few issues, but overall I think it's fun and entertaining, and is a decent series.

Jexhius said:
Iria 2

"I've found a sucker". Really? The women with all the guns and weapons and traps who's also clearly a registered hunter (apprentice grade) looks like a sucker? Kid needs to get his eyes checked!
Hah, yeah... :) I assume that they supposedly think she's a sucker because she's clearly not from around there and visitors who don't seem to really know where they're going are potential targets...

But yes, I'd definitely think that the fact that she was carrying (and knew how to use) a sizable gun should have given them a lot more pause, for sure. It isn't entirely believable. Oh well.

The immortal killing machine is a little bit more bamboozled this episode. Perhaps it's because it's
actually her bother Glen?
Yeah, if they were trying to keep that secret, they sure didn't do a good job of it... it was made pretty clear.

firehawk12 said:
You have that backwards, HanaIro is the one that was a trainwreck from the start. That is not at all true for AnoHana.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I know that I don't really want to know, but what does that have to do with anything? And how is that the same level as Ano Hana where the wheels came off the entire plot and all the characters collapsed?
Well since this one thing happened in a previous episode an episode with a completely different tone involving completely different characters being different is ridiculous.

trejo

To even compare Hanairo to Anohana in a way to suggest they are comparable trainwrecks. I can't really wrap my head around that one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Like I said, I had no expectations about AnoHana. Once the supernatural is involved, I assume bullshit will happen. At best, I could only hope for the mono no aware ending, which is how I felt when it first started and how I feel now.

Meanwhile, I was spinning wheels justifying the genki girl bullshit that Ohana pulled for 10 episodes. I feel almost as embarrassed as when I compared Madoka to The Shield last season.

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Like I said, I had no expectations about AnoHana. Once the supernatural is involved, I assume bullshit will happen. At best, I could only hope for the mono no aware ending, which is how I felt when it first started and how I feel now.

Meanwhile, I was spinning wheels justifying the genki girl bullshit that Ohana pulled for 10 episodes. I feel almost as embarrassed as when I compared Madoka to The Shield last season.

wait
what?

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Meanwhile, I was spinning wheels justifying the genki girl bullshit that Ohana pulled for 10 episodes.
Why would you need to attack or defend an established character trait? That's Ohana's character.

Branduil

It does seem like most of Team HanaIro's detractors are upset that show is not catering to their expectations of what they want the show to be.

trejo

Branduil said:
It does seem like most of Team HanaIro's detractors are upset that show is not catering to their expectations of what they want the show to be.
It's like the Madoka situation all over again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Isn't that the very definition of being disappointed? If you think the show is perfect, more power to you.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Isn't that the very definition of being disappointed? If you think the show is perfect, more power to you.
Is someone on the IRC channel making a bet with you to see how many bad arguments and straw men you can construct in one night?

The complaints about HanaIro are very much kin to the arguments of manga purists when an anime adaption changes things, only HanaIro is an original anime, so it's even crazier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom