• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Is someone on the IRC channel making a bet with you to see how many bad arguments and straw men you can construct in one night?
Well, when you say I'm wrong because of an opinion, I feel entitled to bring out the hyperbole?

Jex

firehawk12 said:
[...]yep, one contrivance too many. Like, lawl, right after her bag of shit breaks, then creepy guys show up. It was a scene that fell out of a lifetime network movie. The writers didn't trust the audience to get it, so they felt the need to pile it on.
I think you mentioned this in detail a few pages back, but this is clearly one of your problems with that episode. I don't think it makes much sense to call these particular events a contrivance. Maybe that's just because I've had days where it seems like everything has gone terribly wrong but I don't feel it's some event unique to fiction.

Especially when there were some real contrivances in that episode, like people being magically in certain locations at certain times.

Jexhius said:
Especially when there were some real contrivances in that episode, like people being magically in certain locations at certain times.

Amazing how Minchi and Toh-pimp arrived exactly right then at the end of the episode, for example.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I think you mentioned this in detail a few pages back, but this is clearly one of your problems with that episode. I don't think it makes much sense to call these particular events a contrivance. Maybe that's just because I've had days where it seems like everything has gone terribly wrong but I don't feel it's some event unique to fiction.

The whole series is full of contrivances. Like I said in IRC, it's not like they have been subtle about ToHana vs KoHana. This episode just broke my suspension of disbelief.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
Is someone on the IRC channel making a bet with you to see how many bad arguments and straw men you can construct in one night?

The complaints about HanaIro are very much kin to the arguments of manga purists when an anime adaption changes things, only HanaIro is an original anime, so it's even crazier.
wat.

firehawk12 said:
Eh, I've broken it down a few days ago. It's a writer trying to breakdown a character that was perfectly fine with being put in bondage only a few weeks/months ago. So either it's poorly written because it wasn't thought about early on (ie, Lost) or it's poorly written because the writers didn't communicate with each other/the series bible is a piece of shit. Whatever the reason, it's tonally inconsistent and bordered on the ridiculous since it literally stopped short of Ohana being grabbed by a couple of creepy raper dudes.

When Ohana was letting herself be placed in bondage, she was dealing with someone she didn't know and had no emotional connection with. She probably viewed helping this supposedly important guest as part of her job at the inn, into which she's poured every ounce of her gusto since starting. I'm sure she was slightly flattered that he was paying so much attention to her too, even if he was creepy about it.

On the other hand, in the events of the last episode Ohana was dealing with people she knew all her life, who she had a deep emotional connection with, and with whom she had unresolved issues clearly presented in the first episode. It's not as if the breakdown came out of nowhere anyway - she's shown signs of internal struggle in the last couple episodes. A confrontation between her and both her mom and Ko have been inevitable.

I see no contradiction with how Ohana's character has been portrayed.

It's always funny seeing people get wrapped into a show like AnoHana based on the concept only to leave disappointed by the writing. I'll bet a lot of them are the same people who dismissed OreImo based on the outline. That show was pretty much the best example of "Bad concept, great execution" I've seen.

Branduil

airmangataosenai said:
It's always funny seeing people get wrapped into a show like AnoHana based on the concept only to leave disappointed by the writing. I'll bet a lot of them are the same people who dismissed OreImo based on the outline. That show was pretty much the best example of "Bad concept, great execution" I've seen.
0070_pq3p.gif

firehawk12 said:
The whole series is full of contrivances. Like I said in IRC, it's not like they have been subtle about ToHana vs KoHana. This episode just broke my suspension of disbelief.

Tohana vs. Kohana so far has been little more than trolling during the PVs to get the shippers riled up. The show itself has been completely straightforward about the relationships between Toh-pimp, Ko-zone, and Ohana. Much to everyone's surprise, I might add, everybody has been waiting for the love triangle drama to unfold and it just hasn't happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
When Ohana was letting herself be placed in bondage, she was dealing with someone she didn't know and had no emotional connection with. She probably viewed helping this supposedly important guest as part of her job at the inn, into which she's poured every ounce of her gusto since starting. I'm sure she was slightly flattered that he was paying so much attention to her too, even if he was creepy about it.

On the other hand, in the events of the last episode Ohana was dealing with people she knew all her life, who she had a deep emotional connection with, and with whom she had unresolved issues clearly presented in the first episode. It's not as if the breakdown came out of nowhere anyway - she's shown signs of internal struggle in the last couple episodes. A confrontation between her and both her mom and Ko have been inevitable.

I see no contradiction with how Ohana's character has been portrayed.
At that point, it's the tonal consistency of said writing. The show has always had contrivances that go on an ebb and flow... first it was being abandoned by her mother, bondage guy, then it was Tohru "quitting" the inn and maybe dating that other girl, then it was the otaku soldiers, then it was the reviewers. The show has these two episode arcs where some complication is solved and another begins and Ohana is slightly torn down before being built up again (ie, the grandma slap in first episodes).

I have no doubt that next week, all of this is forgotten/resolved and they'll set up the next complication for episode 13. It just became too much for me this time around.

Unknown Soldier said:
Tohana vs. Kohana so far has been little more than trolling during the PVs to get the shippers riled up. The show itself has been completely straightforward about the relationships between Toh-pimp, Ko-zone, and Ohana. Much to everyone's surprise, I might add, everybody has been waiting for the love triangle drama to unfold and it just hasn't happened.
Oh, I agree. It's persistent trolling to create the illusion of drama when it's painfully clear that there probably won't be. Or at least, I'll be very surprised if the two guys come to blows or if Minko and Ohana start bitch-slapping each other over Tohru.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Unknown Soldier said:
Amazing how Minchi and Toh-pimp arrived exactly right then at the end of the episode, for example.
Or how her mother is the writer of the article. Or the dozens of others in prior episodes.
Everything from the typical cellphone cut off while entering in a tunnel, to everything you do wrong turns out to be right! The show has been full of them right from the start.

Difference is what came from those. We had an entire episode that gave a lot more development to her mother and Ohana. Yes it's bullshit, but it's bullshit that actually led to something. We now know what he mother feels about her, what Ohana feels about her mother, and the distortion between the two. It also sets up the next episode extremely well. Ohana shouting for Ko-Chan when she is back against the wall, followed by the two people affected by her love relationships finding her.

Compare that to let's say Ano Hana. I'm curious to know about whatever the hell happened to the school sub plot. Anaru's friends? Jintan being a shut in? Tsuko and Boy-Memna trying to be better? etc. All of that has been dropped in favor of a fucking rocket. They both do the same thing(Most works of fiction do), but Iroha actually develops off it. Ano Hana on the other hand just jumps to the next one, while hitting reset buttons.

Articalys

shintoki said:
Compare that to let's say Ano Hana. I'm curious to know about whatever the hell happened to the school sub plot. Anaru's friends? Jintan being a shut in? Tsuko and Boy-Memna trying to be better? etc. All of that has been dropped in favor of a fucking rocket. They both do the same thing(Most works of fiction do), but Iroha actually develops off it. Ano Hana on the other hand just jumps to the next one, while hitting reset buttons.
Well, that's what they get for trying to cram a heavily character-focused show into eleven episodes. You can't effectively provide background development for six completely different characters in that amount of time and sustain a main plot.

trejo

Articalys said:
Well, that's what they get for trying to cram a heavily character-focused show into eleven episodes. You can't effectively provide background development for six completely different characters in that amount of time and sustain a main plot.
So they didn't even try.

Uchip

Banned
I think im becoming more like cosmicblizzard
shounen shows are fun because you kind of expect all the cliches
so you dont get disappointed by them

could also be the beers that ive had

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
At that point, it's the tonal consistency of said writing. The show has always had contrivances that go on an ebb and flow... first it was being abandoned by her mother, bondage guy, then it was Tohru "quitting" the inn and maybe dating that other girl, then it was the otaku soldiers, then it was the reviewers. The show has these two episode arcs where some complication is solved and another begins and Ohana is slightly torn down before being built up again (ie, the grandma slap in first episodes).

But it was all a nice buildup for the last few episodes, through episodes 3- 9 we got to see Ohana intergrating into the new lifestyle of the Kuisissou that was thrust upon her, we see her go super genki 2 when any negative thoughts enter her mind, even thinking about Ko in the background of those episodes where it all came to a head in the last 2 eps, all the episodes served a purpose... except the army one.

Ano Hana however also has these mini arcs to, but there's nothing tying them together, the only overlaying thing over all the eps is Menma's funky ghost rules.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I took a long break from anime after finishing Madoka last season. I planned to watch both AnoHana and HanaIro when I have time this week, but you guys seem to be disappointed for both show? I thought both shows were good from looking at the response from the previous thread, I read a few pages back but couldn't tell what went wrong without spoiling myself.

Should I still try both show? Can someone explain to me how they turn into the mess that it is now without spoiling too much?

Cloudy

Banned
AnoHana is very good. Iroha's ep 1 was the highlight of the show for me I'm still watching it cos I like the characters , art and music...

Uchip

Banned
kiunchbb said:
I took a long break from anime after finishing Madoka last season. I planned to watch both AnoHana and HanaIro when I have time this week, but you guys seem to be disappointed for both show? I thought both shows were good from looking at the response from the previous thread, I read a few pages back but couldn't tell what went wrong without spoiling myself.

Should I still try both show? Can someone explain to me how they turn into the mess that it is now without spoiling too much?

no
just keep playing LoL
every game is better than anime

Steroyd

kiunchbb said:

There's a heated war debate between Team Hana Iro and its detractors although that's more to do with what people expected the show to be (i.e the difference between slice of life and drama) it's worth a shot, Ano Hana however has been fed to the wolves, team Ano Hana has disbandoned to give a hint of what happened, lets just say the ghost rules got stupid and then the stupidness gets amplified further to popcorn worthy, although that's not the only reason.

zeroshiki

Steroyd said:
There's a heated war debate between Team Hana Iro and its detractors although that's more to do with what people expected the show to be (i.e the difference between slice of life and drama) it's worth a shot, Ano Hana however has been fed to the wolves, team Ano Hana has disbandoned to give a hint of what happened, lets just say the ghost rules got stupid and then the stupidness gets amplified further to popcorn worthy, although that's not the only reason.

I can't believe that people only bailed out by Episode 8. I just saw Episode 7 and the sheer stupidity was already too much for me. Wanna talk about plot contrivances? Hanairo has nothing on AnoHana.

Articalys

Neon Genesis Evangelion 16-20

I, um... yeah. The fuck did I just watch?
Still, I would make the bold claim that I am just barely able to follow what's going on. This likely won't be true after episode 24, and definitely won't by the time I finish EoE.

Also, I forget exactly which episode it was in this group, but one of them had the angled scene of Gendo walking away from the "It's Gendo" song and it took all my willpower to not start singing "Soul Education" when it appeared.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The writing of the latest Haniro was definitely very contrived as firehawk12 stated, I'm not so sure how anyone could deny that, there was way to much coincidental shit that would have annoyed me if it happened in any other show, yet as i said before, i can forgive the show for that because it lead to some solid character moments and the direction of the episode in question was on a whole very strong, and probably some of the best direction in the series since episode 1.

Hanasaku iroha is good, but it's pretty inconsistent, however as of episode 9 it's being more consistently good than usual and I'm hoping it keeps it up, because i really love the show when it's good!

Anohana really isn't worth investing in tbh.

Zalasta

kiunchbb said:

Watch it and form your own opinions? You will never get a consensus here, that's why there is a big debate going on.

How many anime actually started strong and finished well? I've learned long ago that most series can and will never fully realize their potential, yet it seems that people continue to hype their expectation only to set themselves up for disappointment.

Defuser

Kaiji S2 ep 11
It begins!! Sakazaki vs the bog!!! His downward spiral to madness!!!

Btw I'm surprise there's a sequel to the kaiji movie..didn't the first movie ended differently? How did he ended underground?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Couldn't they have found some baka gaijin for the priest.

Jex

As could be guessed there were many more questions about Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex than anything else. Nothing could be better than the second, and biggest, surprise of the event when Mr. Nakamura and Mr. Kakimoto leaned their heads together then unofficially announced more Stand Alone Complex is in the works
I assume they mean more 3D reworkings, but I hope not: http://reversethieves.com/2011/06/15/animenext-2011-production-i-g/
Lafiel said:
The writing of the latest Haniro was definitely very contrived as firehawk12 stated, I'm not so sure how anyone could deny that, there was way to much coincidental shit that would have annoyed me if it happened in any other show.
For clarifications, I don't think anyone ever tried to argue that:

Ohana's mum being the editor
and
Torhu appearing right by Ohana at the end of the episode
were contrived events. That's kind of set in stone as silly, but somehow it worked regardless.

However, firehawk12 was also arguing that, in addition to the above,
Ohana's bag breaking in the rain
and
those guys hitting on Ohana from their car, also known as 'the creepy rapists'
was just the writers "piling on the drama for the sake of drama' and 'contrived', which I feel is more debatable considering those events weren't super crazy.
Articalys said:
Well, there's a little show called Hataraki Man...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
However, firehawk12 was also arguing that, in addition to the above,
Ohana's bag breaking in the rain
and
those guys hitting on Ohana from their car, also known as 'the creepy rapists'
was just the writers "piling on the drama for the sake of drama' and 'contrived', which I feel is more debatable considering those events weren't super crazy.
And my larger and admittedly implied point is that it made me see the artifice. And unless HanaIro is a post-modern commentary on Japanese TV writing (or a wacky comedy where Yamakan shows up in the middle of your anime), I shouldn't see the artifice.

firehawk12 said:
And my larger and admittedly implied point is that it made me see the artifice. And unless HanaIro is a post-modern commentary on Japanese TV writing (or a wacky comedy where Yamakan shows up in the middle of your anime), I shouldn't see the artifice.
Actually the two events Jexhius mentioned there reminded me immediately of similar events that happened to me and a friend
(a particularly crappy day culminated in my grocery bags ripping open as I was carrying them home, and convoluted circumstances led to a friend getting catcalled while walking the side of a deserted road in a revealing costume before getting picked up by the police)
, so they actually helped me to buy into Ohana's state at that moment. What did make me "see the artifice" was
Tohru and Minko implausibly knowing where to find Ohana at just the right moment
, but I was willing to buy into that because of the intuitive dramatic sense ending the episode with that made. Now if there's not a good payoff for that in the next episode, I'll be right there with you in criticizing the show, but for the moment I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since it actually did go back to pick up the dangling plot threads from the first episode.

Articalys

Jexhius said:
Well, there's a little show called Hataraki Man...
While I fully expected someone would come up with a counter-argument to my statement, I've never heard of this series. It does look to be more episodic than having an overarching plot, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
I think it was a private chat with Geneijin, but AnoHana would work much better with half the cast gone. Yukiatsu and Tsuruko are throwaway characters, and depending on the story you want to tell (self-angst vs love-angst), you can get rid of either Poppo or Anaru. But really, the way they dealt with Yukiatsu a few episodes ago made me realize that the writers didn't even care about those characters anyway... so it's not like AnoHana had 6 real characters at all.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Actually the two events Jexhius mentioned there reminded me immediately of similar events that happened to me and a friend
(a particularly crappy day culminated in my grocery bags ripping open as I was carrying them home, and convoluted circumstances led to a friend getting catcalled while walking the side of a deserted road in a revealing costume before getting picked up by the police)
, so they actually helped me to buy into Ohana's state at that moment. What did make me "see the artifice" was
Tohru and Minko implausibly knowing where to find Ohana at just the right moment
, but I was willing to buy into that because of the intuitive dramatic sense ending the episode with that made. Now if there's not a good payoff for that in the next episode, I'll be right there with you in criticizing the show, but for the moment I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since it actually did go back to pick up the dangling plot threads from the first episode.
I'm not doubting the verisimilitude of "having a bad day" though. And anyway, I've never been selected to pilot an Eva unit but I can still identify with Shinji, so that's not even my problem with what happened. Ultimately, I was annoyed by the fact that I could see the writing. For a show that I enjoy, I shouldn't notice the writing unless I want to. It's the equivalent of a bad singer doing a horrible cover of a classic song or a bad actor ruining an otherwise good play (I thought it was impossible to be taken out of a production of Waiting for Godot, but this one actor managed to find a way to do it).

As for the payoff, unless they deviate from the formula and launch into the second-half fantasia that duckroll imagined (something about samurai killing everyone at the inn and it suddenly turning into a dark action show), we can confidently predict the outcome of next week's episode. The variations on the outcome will depend on whether or not they want to drag one or both of the story threads on longer or if they want to shift to new interpersonal conflicts. I suppose I'm still cool with that, but now I'm at a point where I'm not invested in the outcome.

Zalasta

icarus-daedelus said:
With that mindset you might as well never bother with anime in the first place. :p

Well yeah, that or just take it with a grain of salt at whatever GAF is selling each season.

Jex

Articalys said:
While I fully expected someone would come up with a counter-argument to my statement, I've never heard of this series. It does look to be more episodic than having an overarching plot, though.
It's kind of both, but it's not like Ano Hana has an overarching plot either. The most important thing is that stuff happens throughout, and there's a well developed cast, and it's only eleven episodes. You really can't say that very often. Possibly Paradise Kiss as well but I'm not very far into that.
duckroll said:
Of course.

flawfuls

icarus-daedelus said:
To click or not to click...but I want to go in cold. :s

Don't worry anime commercials/trailers never tell you anything about anything so there is no reason to avoid them. Then again I suppose that means there is no reason to watch them either.

Jex

Steins;Gate 11

This is still Steins;Gate. There's like a backing plot, there's Okarin's harem (that someone is making a dating game spin-off makes perfect sense too me) and there's some amusing dialogue. The director still doesn't know how to make an episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom