• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Villains are people too!
Not all of them! History contains plenty of people who were evil for the sake of being evil! And a few more complex examples.

Marco's Background Art

Man, the backgrounds in this show are amazing. Like, I want to see them in HD, if some had the old print lying around. What's most important is how the detailed artwork helps to reflect important parts of the setting, such as all the chipped paint work and damaged stone helps sell you on the idea that Marco lives in a fairly poor area of the city. It also just breathes life into the locations by making them seem complicated, rather than flat.

marcobackground.jpg

marcowallchurch.jpg

Speaking of backgrounds, let's look at an example of bad modern backgrounds courtesy of Eden of the East. In this case I'm not talking about the actual backdrop so much as the walls, ground and so forth.

eden-of-the-east-2-12.jpg

/XX/

Articalys said:
I will say this though...
you construct a closed reality for your fragile mind and the best you can do is a school auditorium? Come on...
I always thought of it as making the characters aware of their condition of controlled animated entities in a TV series, and review their actions throughout it on a, so to speak, Human Complementation Project's 'meta-show', but using the secondary-school-theater type of setting the Japanese spectators are accustomed to.

firehawk12 said:
There are just a lot of things that felt under developed that might have been better if they didn't happen at all. Why did there even need to be a conflict at the end anyway? Maybe I'm too far gone to appreciate the simplicity of a villain who is just evil for the sake of being evil, but I would have been happier if said character was absent from the film completely.
Well, I know its subjective, but I only saw those unexplained or unresolved situations as a way to understand the sentiments of the characters involved and their reactions, only as reasons to comprehend their acts. And I don't mind other actions without a given explanation like Haru's stance (sometimes you can't be sure, or never know, why people react as they do). I understand your position, though, and know why other spectators would also find the movie unfocused or loosely structured. I find DrForester comparison of this movie with My Neighbor Totoro very reasonable, although I even find that movie more straight to the point in presenting a running conflict, even as simple as it is, than The Borrower Arrietty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dali said:
Another major problem I had with it was the
way the relationship between Sho and Arrietty was handled. They spent such a small amount of time together and the relationship felt so tentative for so long, that the big good-bye scene - which I assume was meant to be a heart-melting moment, that defined the movie - really just fizzled as it didn't have the strength of a bunch of relationship-building scenes throughout the movie holding it up.
It wasn't a terrible movie or even a bad movie. Just a very anticlimactic movie that could have been much better had it lived up to at least a few of the expectations it created.

The relationship didn't work because there weren't any stakes in their relationship. The only thing that it hints at is the tragic nature of their meeting since
the only reason she has to leave is because he wanted to meet her

Jexhius said:
Not all of them! History contains plenty of people who were evil for the sake of being evil! And a few more complex examples.
It makes for bad storytelling though. Either go full evil or go home!

/XX/ said:
Well, I know its subjective, but I only saw those unexplained or unresolved situations as a way to understand the sentiments of the characters involved and their reactions, only as reasons to comprehend their acts. And I don't mind other actions without a given explanation like Haru's stance (sometimes you can't be sure, or never know, why people react as they do). I understand your position, though, and know why other spectators would also find the movie unfocused or loosely structured. I find DrForester comparison of this movie with My Neighbor Totoro very reasonable, although I even find that movie more straight to the point in presenting a running conflict, even as simple as it is, than The Borrower Arrietty.
I don't think it's necessarily unfocused or loosely structured. It has the same 5 act structure and all that. It's just that the main conflict is very unrealized for me. It could have just been as simple as
Haru thinking there were real rats in the house and then calling in the exterminators while Sho has to save Arrietty's family before they are killed by poison gases. You have both the dramatic arc, you have no villains, and you even throw in an environmental message too.
That would have worked much more for me anyway.

Geneijin

icarus-daedelus said:
I took a long break from animu to watch horror movies etc, as a therapeutic effort to keep myself sane.
But have you finished that old pact of yours completely? No wonder you've returned now!

Steroyd

Hidan no Aria - 10

It's back to the awfulness of previous episodes before the harem nonsense.

Meaning it was a pretty damn incomprehensible episode.

/XX/

Dali said:
Another major problem I had with it was the
way the relationship between Sho and Arrietty was handled. They spent such a small amount of time together and the relationship felt so tentative for so long, that the big good-bye scene - which I assume was meant to be a heart-melting moment, that defined the movie - really just fizzled as it didn't have the strength of a bunch of relationship-building scenes throughout the movie holding it up.
That is why the final scenes during the credits with the family of Borrowers leaving in search of another place to live impacted me more, and found them to be an excellent ending (and new beginning!).

firehawk12 said:
I don't think it's necessarily unfocused or loosely structured. It has the same 5 act structure and all that. It's just that the main conflict is very unrealized for me. It could have just been as simple as
Haru thinking there were real rats in the house and then calling in the exterminators while Sho has to save Arrietty's family before they are killed by poison gases. You have both the dramatic arc, you have no villains, and you even throw in an environmental message too.
That would have worked much more for me anyway.
I called it loosely structured and unfocused for nearly the same reasons Dali said this:

Dali said:
If you turned the average story into a line graph you'd have hills and valley's representing the rising action, climax, resolution etc. Arrietty's line graph is more or less a straight line.
And I find it true, it doesn't "focuses" on a specific body of the story increasing in tension up to a final general climax,
instead it resolves itself through a little climax involving Haru actions that, for me, seems a bit circumstantial ("loosely" incorporated, I think) and probably predictable to happen for any typical Borrower that lives with 'human beans'.
I know my vocabulary isn't vast and fails to explain this opinion, but I hope the general idea comes across rather easily.

Also, the alternative conflict you have posted would have also worked for me as well!

Nichijou 11 - How is Yukko ever, ever going to graduate high school if she keeps completely failing tests like this? At some point she'll have to start trying, or she'll flunk out or something...

But apart from the segments about how awful Yukko is at school and studying, there was more stuff in this episode about other characters, which was great. Nichijou is better when it's not almost exclusively focusing on those three. The Professor/Nano/Sakamoto part was amusing, involving them all getting stuck in a giant pool of glue thanks to the Professor. There were other segments too, like one about an old man complaining about how bad and pathetic his life was. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or sad, but it was both. Also, the bit with the soccer and go club leader guy having his own personal helicopter which he goes to school with, and somehow getting into the soccer finals despite not even really having a team because his family is rich, was pretty funny... :)

Articalys said:
Do you like your mahjong with an all-female cast and high levels of yuri overtones? Well, you're in luck, since it looks like there's going be a new Saki anime coming soon.
I'd heard this rumor already, but it's great to hear some more confirmation! I'll definitely be watching. I have read the manga, but the anime's better anyway. If it's as good as the first season was I'll be looking forward to it.

Also, a spinoff manga is coming too? Huh.

trejo

Sket Dance 12

Switch is way cooler than Yuu Kobayashi. I'm liking this tournament and I can't wait for the outcome.

Roman is the best.

Izayoi

Banned
When do summer shows start airing, anyway?

A Black Falcon said:
Nichijou 11 - How is Yukko ever, ever going to graduate high school if she keeps completely failing tests like this? At some point she'll have to start trying, or she'll flunk out or something...
Nah, I knew plenty of people just like her in highschool.

They whip themselves into shape eventually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
/XX/ said:
And I find it true, it doesn't "focuses" on a specific body of the story increasing in tension up to a final general climax,
instead it resolves itself through a little climax involving Haru actions that, for me, seems a bit circumstantial ("loosely" incorporated, I think) and probably predictable to happen for any typical Borrower that lives with 'human beans'.
I know my vocabulary isn't vast and fails to explain this opinion, but I hope the general idea comes across rather easily.

Also, the alternative conflict you have posted would have also worked for me as well!
Yeah, the heart of the story is supposed to be the sense of wonder that both characters, Sho and Arrietty, encounter by meeting each other. It's a lot like Ratatouille in that respect. The conflict is just a means to drive the story forward to its ultimate conclusion
(since it is clear that the happy ending found in Ratatouille wouldn't happen in this anime)
. I just think the conflict could have been written in a way that preserved the innocence of the world while also being meaningfully frightening.

Izayoi

Banned
Airan said:
Son of a... I dropped this, and now this crops up!
She shows up for literally a second. The best part about the entire show so far. Episode 9.

Picking Xam'd back up. Finished half of it a long time ago. Awesome OP, at least.

God this show makes no fucking sense.

Burning Man

Neo Member
Just started watching Nichijou.... Absolutely incredible. I hope it stays this silly and pointless for all twelve shows, and doesn't try to bring in a random story arc like Seitokai no Ichizon did.

Is there a name for this sort of anime? Slice of life silly?

trejo

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 15

I was so expecting that to happen and lo and behold, it did. This is no Disney film, that's for damn sure.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 16

Guest starring Chun li! A nice actiony episode with a satisfactory ending, all things considered. Shouldn't get used to those.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 17

Miyu sure is a badass. She hunts down evil shinmas and
casts off babies to their watery deaths
. Wait, what?

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 18

A really boring episode. I wasn't into this one at all.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 19

Dolls are unquestionably creepy in all shapes and sizes. Also, eff yeah, best Miyu ending ever. If only more episodes would end with
hot chicks hooking up
but alas.

Vampire Princess Miyu TV 20

Well, that was a little messed up even by Miyu TV standards. I said damn. Had to make up for last episode's awesome ending, I guess.

I think I need a hug.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Burning Man said:
Just started watching Nichijou.... Absolutely incredible. I hope it stays this silly and pointless for all twelve shows, and doesn't try to bring in a random story arc like Seitokai no Ichizon did.

Is there a name for this sort of anime? Slice of life silly?
Looney Tunes comedy.
---

Anohana finale: Never has a show epitomized the mixed-bag to me like this one. The actual main thrust of the show, mono no aware et al, I felt was handled fairly well for what it was. But all the stuff in between was just... poorly written. Notably the Yukiatsu/Anaru/Tsuruko/Menma side of the love pentagon, which made the actual first arc of the episode very unfulfilling and angsty for the sake of angst - which in turn
makes the payoff for Menma going to heaven ring a bit hollow as well, since the bitter feelings in the group aren't earned
The connection between Menma and Jinta's mother seemed underdeveloped as well and, in fact, seemed rather unnecessary given how the episode ends.

I dunno, ultimately, this probably would have worked much better as a movie with a smaller scope (ie, a love triangle between Menma, Jinta, and Anaru). Either that, or they needed to take a greater interest in the other characters and make the more than just angst-fodder for crocodile tears.

All that said however, much to 7th's chagrin, Secret Base as a song was perfect tear inducing fodder. At the very least I was invested enough to care about the ending, even though we all predicted it back in episode 1, and that's as probably as much as I can expect from an anime series written in 2011.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, random non-sequitor, but why do anime girls always squat down whenever they cry?

aTgT3l.jpg

It's just weird and it seems to be universal in Japanese cartoon world.

Izayoi

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
FISH

PENGUINS

BEARS WITH EYEPATCHES

ARE YOU EXCITED YET
lol

Blader5489 said:
Towa no Quon preview (starts around 2 min. mark)

Action looks cool at least.

Really hoping this will turn out good since BONES has been disappointing me for...many years now. :\
That kid is tripping some kind of crazy drugs, holy shit.

Also, that seems eerily similar to another show that I happen to be watching right now, also made my BONES, where there's also a kid with a crazy arm that produces little laser shooting balls.

Uchip

Banned
Infernodash said:
It surprisingly wasn't bad. I even got a little emo. I would consider it a decent end. Symbolic

I ended up watching the rest of it
they really did try to make this dramatic though, and it would have worked if they didnt overdo it right from the start

oh and if menmas voice wasnt so freaking ear pearcing

edit: also lol @ the notion that anaru being level headed as her best attribute...

duckroll

I saw that Muraki worked on [C] ep11. So I watched it. Man. I have no words. Lol. Who is this show even supposed to appeal to? Lulz.

iavi

Anohana 11 (Finale)

And they wrapped that all up quite nicely. The first half of the episode consisted of the writers
quickly trying to flesh out the angst twisted motives of all the characters which... while needed,
wasn't exactly done with the softest of hands, if you know what I'm saying.

The second half, on the other hand, was pretty well done, if not written to be far too convenient at times.
They had plenty hinted at a deal with Jintan's mom being the reason for her staying in their world, so its revelation toward the end this ep wasn't as thin as it may seem, if you were too look back and catch their time saving-manvers.
It could've been done better, but you could say that about the majority of this series.

In the end, I'd say that the series suffered from a lack of solid direction. It had a solid set of writing behind it, but it seemed as if that writing's guidance wanted it to focus on aspects that mattered not to the over-arching thread. Which, would've been perfectly fine had this series had more time, but they didn't, and it really doesn't feel as if they took that into consideration when planning the series out. A shame, really.

Because, as silly as this series premise was, it went on to be something more than it. I wouldn't have minded seeing what it could've bloomed into, had it had the time to.

That ending song hits epic on the sadness scale, for real.

Uchip

Banned
It would have worked better as a Movie or ova series I think
I also dont get wtf they are implying with the flowers?

duckroll said:
I saw that Muraki worked on [C] ep11. So I watched it. Man. I have no words. Lol. Who is this show even supposed to appeal to? Lulz.

Awesome people? That episode was amazing.

Edit: Oh wait, I'm thinking of 10. Didn't see 11 yet.

Uchip said:
I ended up watching the rest of it
they really did try to make this dramatic though, and it would have worked if they didnt overdo it right from the start

oh and if menmas voice wasnt so freaking ear pearcing

edit: also lol @ the notion that anaru being level headed as her best attribute...

The first half was forced, but it was necessary. It setup the second half to end well. And I must say that the entire second half was done exceptionally well. I think it redeemed it from being the train wreck we all expected.

I also lol'd at Menma loving that Anaru is level headed. The Jintan card did make me sniffle, though.

jman2050

I think the show having no real focus 70% of the time hurt Ano Hana, as it then had to rely on the more expedient and cheap tricks of the trade in order to induce drama rather than establishing any sort of flow. I think revolving the entire series around Ghost Menma hurt it, as weird as that sounds.

iavi

Izayoi said:
Picking Xam'd back up. Finished half of it a long time ago. Awesome OP, at least.

God this show makes no fucking sense.

It's the all those pretty colors, man. That's about the only thing you should be watching it for.

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:
I think the show having no real focus 70% of the time hurt Ano Hana, as it then had to rely on the more expedient and cheap tricks of the trade in order to induce drama rather than establishing any sort of flow. I think revolving the entire series around Ghost Menma hurt it, as weird as that sounds.

to a fucking tee

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uchip said:
It would have worked better as a Movie or ova series I think
I also dont get wtf they are implying with the flowers?
Flowers are transient, like people/life. Flowers will bloom again, but they won't be the same flowers as the ones from last season.

It's poetical and shit!

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Flowers are transient, like people/life. Flowers will bloom again, but they won't be the same flowers as the ones from last season.

It's poetical and shit!

I see..
I thought they were implying that menma was reincarnated as a flower
which is stupid

Izayoi

Banned
Miri said:
It's the all those pretty colors, man. That's about the only thing you should be watching it for.
Lots of pretty colors, that's for sure.

Almost done now. So far I'm completely indifferent. Great action, but it drags its feet more than I remember. I dunno. Awful, completely incoherent plot.

Since this isn't really worth making a new thread over :

Can anyone recommend me some quality animes that are enjoyable for all ages and are of the adventury/interesting concept type (no teen dramas/angst type) and with nice art?

I did a search that came up with a bunch of recommendations but never any mention of any criteria really , so it's way too much to sift through.

Oh I also prefer a coherent story, rather than mostly seperate little episodic stories or too much focus on them.
Also preferably stories that aren't too convoluted, introducing more and more cast members and side stories etc, unless they can actually sell it and the story is interesting enough.

To give you an idea of my tastes, I've watched and enjoyed:
Full Metal Alchemist
Neon genesis eva
death note
jigoku shoujo
cowboy bebop
Black lagoon (though I think I never finished it)

I watched but could'nt get into :
-Code gaess
-Planetes (well I could for the first season or two or bunch of episodes, can't really remember, but I tired of it after that)
-Air gear (wtf was that, recommended by the same person who recommended me all the ones I did enjoy)
-The one with the little boy with the arrow on his head, with the 4 elements etc:p sorry the name eludes me, it was okay for a few episodes but aimed at a young audience I guess.

I never really liked anime in general, especially the episodic story kind(pokemon, naruto, DBZ, one piece and what else have you) , but hey if I ended up enjoying the ones I listed over the years anyhow then maybe there is something else.

Thanks in advance.
edit: thanks for the suggestions :) I'll definitely check them out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
SneakyStephan said:
Since this isn't really worth making a new thread over :

Can anyone recommend me some quality animes that are enjoyable for all ages and are of the adventury/interesting concept type (no teen dramas/angst type) and with nice art?

I did a search that came up with a bunch of recommendations but never any mention of any criteria really , so it's way too much to sift through.

Oh I also prefer a coherent story, rather than mostly seperate little episodic stories or too much focus on them.
Also preferably stories that aren't too convoluted, introducing more and more cast members and side stories etc, unless they can actually sell it and the story is interesting enough.

To give you an idea of my tastes, I've watched and enjoyed:
Full Metal Alchemist
Neon genesis eva
death note
jigoku shoujo
cowboy bepop
Black lagoon (though I think I never finished it)

I watched but could'nt get into :
-Code gaess
-Planetes (well I could for the first season or two or bunch of episodes, can't really remember, but I tired of it after that)
-Air gear (wtf was that, recommended by the same person who recommended me all the ones I did enjoy)
-The one with the little boy with the arrow on his head, with the 4 elements etc:p sorry the name eludes me, it was okay for a few episodes but aimed at a young audience I guess.

I never really liked anime in general, especially the episodic story kind(pokemon, naruto, DBZ, one piece and what else have you) , but hey if I ended up enjoying the ones I listed over the years anyhow then maybe there is something else.

Thanks in advance.

Mononoke (not the Miyazaki movie, the 2007 TV show) and Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom