• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamigami no Asobi Episode 4
BmKgd0aCUAADIeD.png

Rain is such a good reason to throw off the clothes and put in swimsuits. They are all such silly gods.

Tennis moment though short, had Susanoo which was funny, and even guys are falling for these gods.

Eureka 7 AO 1-24

Fuck the hours I wasted marathoning this, fuck the plot, fuck the characters, fuck the random convoluted jargon, fuck the setting, fuck the script, fuck the tacked-on fan service, fuck Truth, fuck Naru, fuck AO, FUCK Elena, fuck Generation Bleu, fuck EVERYTHING this abomination of a mess unleashed upon ruining what Eureka 7 stood for.

Quite possibly the worst anime sequel I have ever bore witness to-completely blows SEED Destiny out the water. Fucking train wreck all the way through and such terrible pacing. This shit never happened as far as I'm concerned. Jesus christ man just fuck this anime.....

mAcOdIn

Because anyone can log in a PS4 with a travelling log-in
That's all fine and good but I think the default behaviour should be to default to the only existing account if there is only one and make an extra hoop if you wanted to let your friend log on, the PS3 doesn't ask what user is using the controller every time it goes to sleep and I think that was more elegant.

Akane always felt "flat" in ranma because there is little but no character devellopment for her aside from a couple of episode ( strong episodes ) but way too few.
Well, it's not like I felt she was flat nor would I care that much because most people are, I don't think people are really complicated in the end, but that the universe was just off in the show.

Like:

1. Being unsure if she's cute or not when all the boys in school fight over her every day. Sure, a person's perception of themselves is sometimes a fickle thing but it's a little weird to me when you've set the girl up as the number one pick of all the males of her school to the point they fight over here and she's still unsure if she's even cute or not. Jesus, what's that say about the other 99.9% of the girls in school the guys don't fight over? Dogs I tell you!

2. The crazy violence. Taken alone, sure Akane's a violent psycho, however when contrasted with nearly everyone else named in the show(besides her sisters) she's normal. In her fictional universe she's not really more violent than anyone else and calling her out as such is just silly.

3. Her strength and martial arts background is almost completely irrelevant. She's not actually stronger than anyone else who also practices anything at all, whether this be martial arts, kendo or even freaking gymnastics(!). Worse yet whenever Akane does get into some kind of scrape it just leads to some sad scenario where she's gotta get saved. This wouldn't be a big deal to me if her being some super strong martial arts enthusiast wasn't such a defining part of her character, like it's not weird that Nabiki can't beat anyone up.

So I don't feel that character development is what's lacking here.

Banner of the Stars II (Seikai no Senki II)

Episodes 2-10
I found out, maybe again, that Sobaash is actually a guy. I couldn't remember if I had heard that before and just forgot or what,haha. Anyway, I like the character either way.
I'm pretty sure that that's the first viewers find out about it, I was kinda surprised as well.

Technically a shot from Crest but it's more Spoor!
Spoor is pretty best:
Spoor is the best. Anyone know which Spoor's the real Spoor(I guess canon Spoor), in the movie she's a little more flamboyant, I like her better in the TV series.

Grzi

I've watched three Happy Science movies (Laws of Eternity, Rebirth of Buddha, Mystical Laws) a few days ago and I'm still not ready to talk about them.
I'll just say that it was an amazing experience and leave it at that. Nothing will ever be the same, that's for sure.
I'll watch the other three films soon, I'm not sure how anything could top The Laws of Eternity, but we'll see.

Midonin

Mekaku City Actors 03

The titular characters are finally introduced in greater numbers. I like how things tied back into the first episode, and Momo finally found a way to put her natural "charm" to use. Marry might be the most Kana Hanazawa-est character this season, but given the number of roles she has, there's a lot of characters competing for that position. Still the Shaftiest show of the season by a wide margin.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka 7 AO 1-24

Fuck the hours I wasted marathoning this, fuck the plot, fuck the characters, fuck the random convoluted jargon, fuck the setting, fuck the script, fuck the tacked-on fan service, fuck Truth, fuck Naru, fuck AO, FUCK Elena, fuck Generation Bleu, fuck EVERYTHING this abomination of a mess unleashed upon ruining what Eureka 7 stood for.

Quite possibly the worst anime sequel I have ever bore witness to-completely blows SEED Destiny out the water. Fucking train wreck all the way through and such terrible pacing. This shit never happened as far as I'm concerned. Jesus christ man just fuck this anime.....

Time to watch the OVA.

Grzi

Eureka 7 AO 1-24

I actually remember the first thing I thought after watching this show: "At least it was better than Guilty Crown."

So I don't feel that character development is what's lacking here.
Well it's been a while since i've seen ranma but i've seen it twice and akane is the most unintresting character of the show for me so i guess something is wrong with whatever her character develloppement was given how much screen time she has.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 15

Holly hell! I am so confused! I just got about 6 minutes into this episode and
I'm seeing a WOMEN who looks to be Wenry working with the Mustang and has a puppy that looks like Den with no auto-mail leg.

Is this a time-skip?

Mekakucity Actors: Episode 3 - Blindfold Code
tumblr_n4ng8dDqMn1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n4ng8dDqMn1qbxqfpo2_500.png

All the Kano, and all that laughter. He makes everything so lighthearted and with that voice I was just rolling, especially when he was doing all that to Kido, and then even the part with Marry. I cant wait until more join mekakushidan.

Visually best part was when we reached the mall and things got going. Easily still my number one.

and finally Hibiya next episode in a lead role!

Grzi

Appreciate the HxH write ups, Jexhius. Week to week fandom posts don't sell it nearly as well.

People have been praising it in here for almost three years, a lot of them I wouldn't consider "fandom", I think it's pretty clear (at least from a bunch of sakuga videos even I used to post while I was more active) that the show really is special.

Kyuur

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - 15

Holly hell! I am so confused! I just got about 6 minutes into this episode and
I'm seeing a WOMEN who looks to be Wenry working with the Mustang and has a puppy that looks like Den with no auto-mail leg.

Is this a time-skip?

Are you talking about Hawkeye? She looks nothing like Winry other than being blonde.

Narag

People have been praising it in here for almost three years, a lot of them I wouldn't consider "fandom", I think it's pretty clear (at least from a bunch of sakuga videos even I used to post while I was more active) that the show really is special.

My radar is only so big!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've watched three Happy Science movies (Laws of Eternity, Rebirth of Buddha, Mystical Laws) a few days ago and I'm still not ready to talk about them.
I'll just say that it was an amazing experience and leave it at that. Nothing will ever be the same, that's for sure.
I'll watch the other three films soon, I'm not sure how anything could top The Laws of Eternity, but we'll see.
You must proceed so you know what true awesome is.

Narag

Laws of the Sun is the best/worst.

Appreciate the HxH write ups, Jexhius. Week to week fandom posts don't sell it nearly as well.

Whenever people were marathoning it, myself included when, a couple of months ago we weren't exactly being fanboys. It's a shonen action series though, so deconstructing it as "this episode's message was a direct analogy of a haiku written by the director's sister when she was in her death bed" would've been a bit too much.

hipbabboom

Are you talking about Hawkeye? She looks nothing like Winry other than being blonde.

No. It wasn't Hawkeye;
I'm definitely sure it looked like a more mature Wenry. She was attacked by the chopper empty armor guy Al fought outside of Prison 5 and she mentioned she knew a guy like him which was Al. I'm confused by the change in her appearance, the puppy and the fact she was working with Mustang. A few minutes later there's a totally different scene with her looking her normal age meeting up with Ed and Al in Rush Valley.

Not sure what to make of that short scene and the elements within.

EDIT: You were right (I think). She had her hair down and was in casual clothes and that through me off. I finished the episode and saw Wenry in her casual clothes and it became more obvious to me. Knowing Al would follow and her use of guns also seem to be validated. I guess the black and white puppy looking sort of like Den is a coincidence. Anyways, thanks for the clarification; it had to stew in my head for a bit before I connected the pieces.

Time to watch the OVA.

I can't do it man. I wanna remain pure and innocent.

I actually remember the first thing I thought after watching this show: "At least it was better than Guilty Crown."

Well when your at rock bottom you got nowhere to go but up, but in this case they came crashing back down in a sea of flames and deus ex machina time/dimension travel invalidating the whole thing.

Grzi

Laws of the Sun is the best/worst.

At first glance it looked almost like a documentary, an explanation of all the concepts of Happy Science, which didn't seem as absurd as the three we picked, or fun to watch while in company so we decided to skip it.
I could be wrong lol.

Narag

Whenever people were marathoning it, myself included when, a couple of months ago we weren't exactly being fanboys. It's a shonen action series though, so deconstructing it as "this episode's message was a direct analogy of a haiku written by the director's sister when she was in her death bed" would've been a bit too much.

There's also the lesser well known bit of people whose tastes I align with catch my attention with their praise. It's likely generally unspoken but with the general activity of the thread, certain opinions carry more weight by virtue of this for each of us.

It's also why I trust Zach implicitly!

hipbabboom

There's also the lesser well known bit of people whose tastes I align with catch my attention with their praise. It's likely generally unspoken but with the general activity of the thread, certain opinions carry more weight by virtue of this for each of us.

image.php

:lol

Jex

Eureka 7 AO 1-24

Well, I'd hope someone would have warned you before you ventured on such a foolhardy path.

Grzi

Oh yeah, I should mention that I consider episode 126 of Hunter X Hunter to be one of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure Madhouse are going to top it by the end of this arc which really should be amazing.

HxH quality for me was already established and discussed years ago as I was reading the manga. The characters, the detailed writing, the nen system, the shounen tropes and how sometimes they turn them around, etc. Because this is a very faithful adaptation, it only leaves to discuss is the praise to the animation, direction, music, maybe some comment about the pace, etc.
In any case, there is more detailed discussion in the proper HxH thread (120 pages!), here in the general anime thread we just make "weekly fandom posts" to remember people that the series exists and it's good and it should be watched, as usually everyone attention is focused on the new shows of each season and not in series that started in 2011.

Midonin

Mahouka 04

This show is wordy. I don't mind shows with a lot of talking, but this world is packed dense with information, and I'm still not sure how much of it ultimately matters to the overplot that will be taking place. If it does take place, it's certainly taking its time getting there. The bit with the kendo girl was interesting, and Tatsuya certainly seems to be a friend to everybody. I'd like to see more of Miyuki's ice powers, just not in a jealous sister setting.

Mekakushitty Actors 3

So it came back full circle. I was on the verge of dropping the show last week after that boring style over substance episode, but at least something happened this week. It was a decent episode and the premise of The World Ends With You meets Avengers is interesting enough to keep me watching, I just hope Shaft doesn't spend all the time circle jerking over conversations about mundane stuff. I can also tell I'm going to hate that Mary girl since it looks like her role is ditzy moe blob.

We learn about everybody's powers, besides the NEET protagonist. Somebody more familiar with the show mind spoiling me on what his powers are? Because I really do hope it's not a "his powers are nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiing" situation.

On a separate note something about the character designs and overall animation is bothering me. It seems amateurish on both counts. And since somebody mentioned the shaft neck/tilting head position last week I saw it like 20 times this episode. This is worst than the Dreamworks face.

Theonik

Its influence is extremely far reaching in Japan
I remember Yahoo.co.jp did this thing the day of its annual TV airing a couple of years back where their site elements would begin collapsing when the user typed "Barus".
It's actually a proper event lol

phaze

What?

There's only few mech show that can hold up to Escaflowne's standard in animation direction even now.

There's isn't much flashy animation but the mech always looked Gorgeous and the direction always making sure the giant knight have great sense of weight, in general Escaflowne still one of anime that have the best production value.

I can agree about the first but the sense of weight ? Sometimes its there and sometimes it feels like Van is slashing butter with a tiny stick. Little impact and no sense of weight/strength behind the swings.

Fortunately, the characters feel the same way.

? Last time there was talk of Ging, Gon still worshiped him.

Nisekoi 16

Finally best girl gets to score to some points. I hope we will see more of her mother as she was hilarious. When they're going to fix that damn pendants though, seems like plenty of time passed since Chitoge's birthday party.

Jex

HxH quality for me was already established and discussed years ago as I was reading the manga. The characters, the detailed writing, the nen system, the shounen tropes and how sometimes they turn them around, etc. Because this is a very faithful adaptation, it only leaves to discuss is the praise to the animation, direction, music, maybe some comment about the pace, etc.
In any case, there is more detailed discussion in the proper HxH thread (120 pages!), here in the general anime thread we just make "weekly fandom posts" to remember people that the series exists and it's good and it should be watched, as usually everyone attention is focused on the new shows of each season and not in series that started in 2011.
A couple of thoughts:

- I'm sure there's plenty of great material in the main thread but I don't plan on going near it till it's caught up.

- I don't imagine that many of the people who regularly about the series are looking to win over any converts, they're just praising the show because it's great. I must admit that I have a bias, which is to try and convert people to watching stuff that I happen to like. It's selfish of me because I just want people to watch the weird, obscure stuff I happen to like e.g. Mouryou no Hako. With Hunter x Hunter I'm coming from the completely opposite side of the fandom because tons of people already love that show and I'm the weirdo for not being caught with it.

- I didn't really care for the extremely rapid pacing in the first episode when I watched it way back in 2011. I wasn't really impressed with the direction or animation either. I had previously seen the original Hunter x Hunter adaptation (minus the Greed Island Arc) and I'd enjoyed it immensely. I've only returned to reboot series this week and I jumped in right at the end of the Nen training arc.

- Despite my praise for most aspects of this series I have to say that, for the most part, music is used rather poorly. Weird timing, inappropriate song choices and generally awkward scoring really hampers my enjoyment of certain scenes. It's the most amateurish aspect of the production. It's not all bad, mind you, just far worse than it needs to be. I should either a) not notice the music or b) praise the music. Instead it bothers me.

Andrew J.

I keep this picture for special occasions. Like people dissing Makoto.

Wouldn't call that a special occasion. There's almost always someone here watching School Days, and condemnation of Makoto seems pretty universal.

(Alternate joke: She looks a little bland compared with the rest of the Street Fighter roster, but not to the point of deserving insults.)

(It's most likely you're talking about Sailor Jupiter, but really I'm not sure at all.)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Wouldn't call that a special occasion. There's almost always someone here watching School Days, and condemnation of Makoto seems pretty universal.

(Alternate joke: She looks a little bland compared with the rest of the Street Fighter roster, but not to the point of deserving insults.)

(It's most likely you're talking about Sailor Jupiter, but really I'm not sure at all.)

3 strikes, you're out, all swings and misses

Oh god I'm watching Mahoukas newest episode and it's been 3 minutes and everybody is already dickriding Onii-sama. Every conversation revolves around him. God this show is not even cheesy. It's a dairy story. I love it

- Despite my praise for most aspects of this series I have to say that, for the most part, music is used rather poorly. Weird timing, inappropriate song choices and generally awkward scoring really hampers my enjoyment of certain scenes. It's the most amateurish aspect of the production. It's not all bad, mind you, just far worse than it needs to be. I should either a) not notice the music or b) praise the music. Instead it bothers me.

Outside of the OP and a few rough spots in general, I'd disagree with this. There are a few tracks that are outright unsettling, perfectly matching the tone of the scene at several points. I can't remember the name, but one track in particular sticks out and really works.

Of course, there is one point in the chimera ant arc with one of the worst possible choices of tracks ever, so it's not a totally invalid complaint.

Whatever your opinion is on the music, the power metal ED is fucking awesome.

The first ED and a few of the other ones are far more fitting for the series than the many variations of the single OP.

A couple of thoughts:

Imust say that i actually enjoy the fact that i don't notice that there is a music ... i must be silly BUT sometimes the music is not even needed for them to get their point across. However , especially in the yorkshin arc they did use the music almost perfectly when something tragic was happenning.
Given for how many episode this pattern continued ( with the music ) , i must believe that their usage of music is on purpose , in order to let the other aspect of the story/characters take the spotlight..

Midonin

Dragonar Academy 04

So Eco's found her calling in life - school mascot. The school is aware that she's unusual, but it's more of a cuteness selling point so far. Though with the coming of Veronica, maybe that war they talked about is coming to the characters in some fashion. Continuing the idea of how, Daimidaler aside, my Saturdays are especially filled with HanaKana, this is the most I've seen of Jessica. Her fangirl nature is amusing enough, but that the Silver Knight Fan Club abbreviates to SKFC can't be said without laughing in the back of my mind. I fully expect at least one Sanders in there.

mAcOdIn

Well it's been a while since i've seen ranma but i've seen it twice and akane is the most unintresting character of the show for me so i guess something is wrong with whatever her character develloppement was given how much screen time she has.
Well uninteresting is not necessarily a problem. If you think about it, if Akane were a real person living next door she'd be plenty interesting. A cute tomboyish girl who loves martial arts and lives at a dojo, I'm sure she'd stand out in your neighborhood.

So what makes her "uninteresting" in the show, and probably the manga as well, is that she's not as neurotically obsessed with another person like other characters or doesn't change into some kind of animal. From my perspective I don't think a blind unyielding devotion is inherently interesting.

Character development's always funky for me to think about because there's so much to it. Technically everyone in Ranma is a character by virtue of being fictional character. Now, I think they're all pretty flat myself but I think most real people are too, so when I think character development I generally tend to think of something that informs or changes that character which is something I don't feel is all that necessary. Since I'm not a writer though I may be thinking totally backwards as I guess the act of character development takes on a different meaning when applied to developing the character in the eyes of the viewer which could in that case be informing the viewer or reader of something that has already defined that character versus actually doing something in the story that changes that character and defines them in that very moment. But what I feel Ranma, and most things in general, are really lacking is in characterization, especially when creating "extreme" characters. People so literally two dimensional and singular that in real life you'd say "that guy's such a character." And in many works I feel this is tied into in-world consistency, especially in things set in the current reality we all currently live in. Anyone interesting in Ranma is interesting because they're so one-dimensional it isn't even funny. They're one-liners given shape. So when you have a character whose defining moment is his hatred of Ranma that was sparked off because he got all the good food at lunch at school already you're on a slippery slope as far as relatability goes. I mean, maybe I could relate if this were a dystopian post apocalyptic madu maxu Japan but it's not, it's 80s Japan bring your lunch with your Sony walkman® fool. Of course that's irrelevant because since his other schtick is getting lost, so extreme he wound up in other parts of the country on accident instead of showing up at the vacant lot behind his house, he shouldn't have even been at school enough to have had lunch taken away from him so much! So already I feel that Ryuga's "quirks" are built on a house of lies, one that neither holds up to real world standards or in-universe standards, it's like his habit of getting ridiculously lost only started in-universe conveniently right before his fight with Ranma! I feel like most of the characters are equally stunted in such a manner. For instance the gymnastics girl, she falls in love with Ranma because he bumped into her? Hell, I get that there's a lack of guys in an all girls school but come on, you never bumped into another guy before? When you're already off to such a shaky start can you even build upon such a foundation and call it development?

This is all irrelevant though because it's a supernatural comedy strip so exaggerated characters are common. Considering how the show, and by extension probably the manga, presented itself I'm not sure neither it nor the readers wanted great characterization or character development, they probably just found a single quirky character they liked and just kept reading to see what wacky hijinks occurred along the way. Which to me is fine, like I said before, I don't care that much about character development but when the words and visuals match up it gets to be annoying. Going back to Akane the message is one thing what I'm shown is another, the two don't match and that makes my head hurt. I just need the two to match how simple or complex the story is doesn't matter.

Outside of the OP and a few rough spots in general, I'd disagree with this. There are a few tracks that are outright unsettling, perfectly matching the tone of the scene at several points. I can't remember the name, but one track in particular sticks out and really works.

Of course, there is one point in the chimera ant arc with one of the worst possible choices of tracks ever, so it's not a totally invalid complaint.

The first ED and a few of the other ones are far more fitting for the series than the many variations of the single OP.

How can you not like " You can Fly Away" opening. Though I can understand it being tedious for like 126 episodes but it's still great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom