• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I'll make sure your avatar isn't left out when they are all plastered on a picture of a hype stagecoach or whatever.
mirainikki.gif

jbug617

Banned
Watching:
Puchimas
Jojo
Kawai Complex
Mahouka
Baby Steps
One Week Friends
Haikyuu
Ace of Diamond (Continue)
Yowamushi Pedal (Continue)
Date A Live S2
Rabbit House
Inugami-san To Nekoyama-san
No Game No Life

Gundam 00 S2 - 5

Oh God, that scene with Marina and the kids. My heart.

Man, Colonel Smirnov is awesome. One of the few military people in the show that ain't gonna take the A-LAWS shit.
Those guys drop turrets on people as casually as one uses a robot vacuum to clean up dust bunnies. Hell, they even call it the "mop-up" operation. Friggin assholes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Elfen Lied 1

POP QUIZ TIME:

You find a naked, bloodied, uncommunicative, cognitively-impaired young girl washed up on a beach. Do you:

a.) immediately take her to a hospital and contact the police?

or

b.) immediately think MOMMY CAN WE KEEP HER? and take her home with you like a stray kitten?

If you answered B, you are the protagonists of Elfen Lied.

If nothing else, this is probably going to serve as some unintentional, very unflattering commentary on the behavioral preferences of Japanese otaku and why they find "cute" what they find cute. Nyu is, for all intents and purposes, a small, fuzzy animal in the (often-naked) body of a supple young female, and no amount of "but she can't help being a murderous esper!" or "she was a prisoner and a victim of science gone mad!" or whatever angle the series decides to throw at her is going to lessen the cognitive dissonance it must take to actually find this character adorable. It's the kind of series that anti-anime extremists would love to throw in our faces if they knew about it because of how frequently it simultaneously depicts the same character as an innocent, cute creature and a sexual object, breaking down the distinction between the two. Is this kind of thing that, under the right circumstances, can actually contribute to conditioning someone to feel aroused by childlike behavioral traits?

I'm not even going to comment on the gore because this show is 20 years too late to the party to be remotely notable for it. It's a blood and guts show. They're all universally juvenile and tawdry. Whatever.

This is also clearly a show with mature, complex, rational characters designed to appeal to a seasoned anime-watching audience.

The best thing about this guy is that the antagonists puff him up as some kind of unstoppable super-killer because a.) he punched a girl and b.) he shoots lots of things with a gun. The second of these points is especially hilarious if your memory is good enough to recall a whole ten minutes ago when we're given a nearly seven-minute montage of Nyu effortlessly slaughtering wave after wave of PMCs in full body armor with automatic weaponry. And I'm supposed to believe that this guy isn't just cannon fodder too just because he's a jackass? lol.

I really don't know why I'm doing this, except for the fact that I'm just not in the right frame of mind to appreciate anything good this weekend and people keep namedropping this in relation to the hilarious Goukoku no Brynhildr. Also something something anime cultural literacy.

fertygo

If next week of Ping Pong looks like shit again, I'll just drop it in favor of the manga and waiting for blu-ray correction or whatever.

cajunator

Banned
Elfen Lied 1

POP QUIZ TIME:

You find a naked, bloodied, uncommunicative, cognitively-impaired young girl washed up on a beach. Do you:

or

b.) immediately think MOMMY CAN WE KEEP HER? and take her home with you like a stray kitten?

If nothing else, this is probably going to serve as some unintentional, very unflattering commentary on the behavioral preferences of Japanese otaku and why they find "cute" what they find cute. Nyu is, for all intents and purposes, a small, fuzzy animal in the (often-naked) body of a supple young female, and no amount of "but she can't help being a murderous esper!" or "she was a prisoner and a victim of science gone mad!" or whatever angle the series decides to throw at her is going to lessen the cognitive dissonance it must take to actually find this character adorable. It's the kind of series that anti-anime extremists would love to throw in our faces if they knew about it because of how frequently it simultaneously depicts the same character as an innocent, cute creature and a sexual object, breaking down the distinction between the two. Is this kind of thing that, under the right circumstances, can actually contribute to conditioning someone to feel aroused by childlike behavioral traits?

I'm not even going to comment on the gore because this show is 20 years too late to the party to be remotely notable for it. It's a blood and guts show. They're all universally juvenile and tawdry. Whatever.

This is also clearly a show with mature, complex, rational characters designed to appeal to a seasoned anime-watching audience.

The best thing about this guy is that the antagonists puff him up as some kind of unstoppable super-killer because a.) he punched a girl and b.) he shoots lots of things with a gun. The second of these points is especially hilarious if your memory is good enough to recall a whole ten minutes ago when we're given a nearly seven-minute montage of Nyu effortlessly slaughtering wave after wave of PMCs in full body armor with automatic weaponry. And I'm supposed to believe that this guy isn't just cannon fodder too just because he's a jackass? lol.

I really don't know why I'm doing this, except for the fact that I'm just not in the right frame of mind to appreciate anything good this weekend and people keep namedropping this in relation to the hilarious Goukoku no Brynhildr. Also something something anime cultural literacy.

Oh youre watching Elfen Lied.
Hehee...
Hehehehehhhheeheh...bwahahahahaha
This will be excellent.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, did anyone who watched all of Elfen Lied and is watching Brynhildr feel super trolled in episode four when
the witch that basically has Nyu's "slice anything to death within a specific radius" power was taken down in the span of a couple of minutes
? It's pretty funny to me in retrospect now.

Haven't watched it myself, but apparently it was violent enough to be mentioned in that awesome song.

"Crazy violent, like Elfen Lied".

After one episode, this doesn't even feel like top-tier violence. Unlike most late 80s/early 90s OVAs, there's not even any viscera or horrifically mangled corpses, just pools of blood and severed limbs.

cajunator

Banned
So, did anyone who watched all of Elfen Lied and is watching Brynhildr feel super trolled in episode four when
the witch that basically has Nyu's "slice anything to death within a specific radius" power was taken down in the span of a couple of minutes
? It's pretty funny to me in retrospect now.

After one episode, this doesn't even feel like top-tier violence. Unlike most late 80s/early 90s OVAs, there's not even any viscera or horrifically mangled corpses, just pools of blood and severed limbs.

Keep watching. Youll get what you seek!

Watching:

Mushishi
Ping Pong
JoJo
One Week Friends

Dropped:
Chaika (the extra lolis in episode 3 and 4 were too much. everyone is a loli!)
Brunhild in Darkness
Soredemo

Should drop:
Bokura wa (episode 5 was really weak, and well, this shit isn't going to improve and I know)

I wouldn't say it ever reaches that level of graphic violence. You're correct in that regard. But the scenarios become more detestable as it continues.

Theonik

I wouldn't say it ever reaches that level of graphic violence. You're correct in that regard. But the scenarios become more detestable as it continues.
I was more horrified of the child urination fetishism than any violent scenario if I'm honest.
I mean... LOOK FORWARD TO THE REST OF THE SHOW HIME!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I haven't dropped Mahouka or Mekaku City Actors yet despite how average/bad they are and I keep saying I'm going to watch episodes of Kanojo ga Flag, Kawai Complex and Nanananananana but I won't
I think I'll stick through Captain Earth until the end. There's got to be something there.
Right

Captain Earth fell into a classic trap of sci-fi they confused density and obtuseness for actual bona fide intrigue.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Elfen Lied 2

Dude, that's why you put a hand between your eyes with your palm perpendicular to your face. Have you never seen The Three Stooges?

I haven't seen this much pressurized blood since Bleach. It even somehow spurts from the stumps of limbs after your heart has already been blown out of your chest. Biology!

gnX4B6rl.jpg

Nyu is pretty representative of everything that sucked about typical female character design in the early-mid 00s. Eroge eyes are a blight. Kouta, the protagonist, is almost indistinguishable in appearance from School Days' Makoto. Artistically the show's only saving grace are some good backgrounds that are unfortunately forever stunted by being trapped in the SD digital ghetto.

I was more horrified of the child urination fetishism than any violent scenario if I'm honest.
I mean... LOOK FORWARD TO THE REST OF THE SHOW HIME!

I'm usually unfazed by all of it nowadays, yet EL still manages to rub me the wrong way years later.

Edit - And looking at madp's screencaps, it certainly doesn't help that the show looks like butt too.

cajunator

Banned
Elfen Lied 2

Dude, that's why you put a hand between your eyes with your palm perpendicular to your face. Have you never seen The Three Stooges?

I haven't seen this much pressurized blood since Bleach. It even somehow spurts from the stumps of limbs after your heart has already been blown out of your chest. Biology!

gnX4B6rl.jpg

Nyu is pretty representative of everything that sucked about typical female character design in the early-mid 00s. Eroge eyes are a blight. Kouta, the protagonist, is almost indistinguishable in appearance from School Days' Makoto. Artistically the show's only saving grace are some good backgrounds that are unfortunately forever stunted by being trapped in the SD digital ghetto.

Isnt it great? Its so great.

Midonin

Tonari no Seki-kun 18

Illusions! So many illusions.

Shuffle! 16-18

While Sia and Nerine's plotlines both are kind of similar (
the soul of her unborn sister/the soul of her clone
), they were used to different ends. Kikyou was very much the opposite of Lycoris. The show's doing a decent job of blending together the various routes - the toughest part of any VN adaptation - in a way where it feels like there's some sort of progress, even if the tension was quickly ratcheted up with the Primula storyline and then back to almost normal. With a homunculus, a childhood friend and two supernatural princesses, you'd think any one of those would make for a good story, but I'm surprised they went with Asa as the chosen heroine.

It's a similar feeling to what I had in Mashiro-iro Symphony. Airi was the heroine of the heroines, from the looks of all the promotional material, but the show ended up going with Miu. Just as in this span of episodes, Sia was passed over for a girl from the human world. I can't find any popularity polls on Navel's site, but something like that must have been the reason for why this particular directorial choice was made. The date episode was fun (and even brought back the cat eyecatch!), and the idea that the other worlds allow polygamy does provide an easy out.

I know what's coming, both from Funi's site and general pop cultural osmosis. The next batch of episodes is now when things start getting all nice boat before nice boat was a thing. But it was only in the final scene of today's batch, so I'll give my thoughts on that when I get to it. The tipping point for The List is drawing near.

But so far, it's been a good watch for a VN/romcom anime. Typical in many ways, but for someone who's a fan of the genre, sometimes that's just what's needed.

Theonik

I'm usually unfazed by all of it nowadays, yet EL still manages to rub me the wrong way years later.

Edit - And looking at madp's screencaps, it certainly doesn't help that the show looks like butt too.
EL is pretty terrible yes.
Also this is offensive to butts. You'll hear from my lawyers.

Haikyuu! 5

The facial expressions that the characters show off is so hilarious and enjoyable, best part of this anime. Hinata's throw up scene on Tanaka was great, it made me laugh. Really can't wait for the practice match next week.

survivor

Banned
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 5
GjEnHQM.jpg

seems like narag has bribed bunch of anime studios to pander to him this week
Comedy mostly fell flat in this episode. Between the "I can't touch girls" comedy routine and the comparison of dating to files storage system, it was all around bad, barely any laughs. On the other hand, the anime has been making quite a convincing argument that cake isn't best thing so there is that.

Acosta

Watching (quite a lot of stuff actually)

Weekly

Hunter X Hunter
Nisekoi
Date A Life S2
Nanana
Ping Pong

Not regulary

Humanity has Declined (up to 6, I plan to advance fast on this)
Mushishi (advancing on S1)
Fairy Tale (I watch one or two episodes when I remember it came back)
Coppelion (up to ep 2 so far)
One Piece (I wait a month to get something to chew)
FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood (love it, but I watch it in big chunks for some reason, I'm around 3x I think)

I have more stuff in hold up. From this season I plan to try Black Bullet, Mahouka, maybe that one of the volleyball and perhaps Sidonia, but not before I watch Gargantia.

Kanojo ga flag wo oraretara - 05

Megumu is probably the most unmanly character on 2014 , it's worse than in haganai.

Akane is just too pure ..i mean seriously.

Rin plain clothes were nice.Rin in general is great , i wonder what will happen if she goes full Yandere. WHAT A FLASHBACK !!!!

Okiku almost got what she deserves.. but really WHAT A STUPID FLASHBACK

Nanami was lonely , good girl , please have a cake !

Ruri is BEST HELPER...

New girl is best cliffanger.

Jex

Do you know how much work it would be to draw all that????

Andrew J.

Pom Poko

I feel like the creators of this film indulged themselves at the expense of the film's pacing and effectiveness. The environmentalist message is bluntly straightforward even by Ghibli standards, and there isn't enough focus on character arcs. The monster parade segment is a microcosm of that problem; it's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but it goes on too long. This film definitely needed some harsher editing.

It's still very good, though. It almost makes me want to go re-watch The Eccentric Family to better compare that show's take on some of the ideas presented here. (But who has the time to re-watch shows, right?)

Branduil

Elfen Lied 1

POP QUIZ TIME:

or

Did you lose some kind of horrible bet?

Yeah, welcome to modern tv anime. Not that the manga is on the level of Elfen Lied in terms of entrails and stuff, but it's definitely not being shown in its entirety here.

cnet128

Banned
Isshuukan Friends 5

New girl is pretty amazing. Best Ookubo Rumi voice I've heard yet.

Hase-kun, I feel your strange-combination-of-happiness-and-pain.

Eusis

What's been going on there anyway? Is the government getting more heavy handed, TV stations more conservative, or just that we had more OVAs in that period and as those frequently came over it ended up looking worse than it actually was?

I'm two episodes away from finishing True Detective with friends (we'll finish it thursday or friday) and it's already beaten and gone 20 laps ahead of anything else. AOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom