• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You make a good point. While I have been thoroughly enjoying Stardust Crusaders it appears that the series overall is unlikely to hit the same kind of highs as Battle Tendency due to the pacing and structure of the story. It's more unusual than it's other shounen brethren though so I will stick with it.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm technically also watching Hunter x Hunter.

Bias, favoritism.

I'm not willing to call that with only a handful of episodes in.

I will, if they manage to adapt the manga correctly (as they have been doing) then they could easily do sections far better then Battle Tendency especially if they have the time or budget to make it look good.
The problem is that the first half or so of Stardust Crusaders is weaker then the second half by far or Battle Tendency. There are good sections scattered about there but I think most people would say once they arrive in Egypt it gets much better. Which is about halfway in...

I haven't dropped Mahouka or Mekaku City Actors yet despite how average/bad they are and I keep saying I'm going to watch episodes of Kanojo ga Flag, Kawai Complex and Nanananananana but I won't
I think I'll stick through Captain Earth until the end. There's got to be something there.
Right

Mekakucity Actors wouldn't be as average if it weren't for the way Shaft has adapted it. Even for that reason I'm still enjoying it and it has the best ending song this season better than Ping Pong or JoJo.

Link Man

Banned
One Week Friends 5

iAhLTeBKi3QIj.jpg

i2hBZSKI3uARz.jpg

iBNbk8TK5msEh.jpg

One thing I've started noticing is that when they're on the roof, Fujimiya and Hase always stay within their own section of chain-link fence. So it's probably significant that
Saki was able to sit in the same section as Fujimiya

Oh yes, and crepes. They're like french pancakes.

But this episode was cute enough to help me recover from last week.

cajunator

Banned
I used to think this at the time but as time has gone on I have realised short hair is best hair and thus now I'm all for the change.

Short hair is superior in quite a lot Of instances though not all.

You know what irritates me is when people say that Log Horizon is boring or even shit because it doesn't contain that much action. Just because it relies heavily on world building doesn't make it boring, that's like the best thing about Log Horizon to me. Instead of making a generic world and characters, it creates a lively atmosphere with characters you feel for. By building upon that it helps the viewers adjust to the world and become mesmerized, without pointless action.

Log Horizon was good. Certainly a lot better than SAO. Not just cause of Akatsuki and Serara though that didnt hurt but it wasnt written like a self insertion fantasy.

You know what irritates me is when people say that Log Horizon is boring or even shit because it doesn't contain that much action. Just because it relies heavily on world building doesn't make it boring, that's like the best thing about Log Horizon to me. Instead of making a generic world and characters, it creates a lively atmosphere with characters you feel for. By building upon that it helps the viewers adjust to the world and become mesmerized, without pointless action.

I think it needed some kind of overarching enemy or plot or something. It seems like the first Season was all set up for Season 2. I still liked it.

Log Horizon has a lot of character in it but by the end of the first series I felt like I knew each and every one of them very well. Just shows how good the writing is.

What I can't believe is that it's from the same studio that also gave us Kiss Dum. The difference in animation quality is incredible.

Log Horizon has a lot of character in it but by the end of the first series I felt like I knew each and every one of them very well. Just shows how good the writing is.

What I can't believe is that it's from the same studio that also gave us Kiss Dum. The difference in animation quality is incredible.

I dunno, I felt like some more people could've used some more screentime, but there were a lot of characters.
Still liked Rudy, Crusty and Nyanta the best

Yeah I like when shows build upon the world and give us a clear view on the characters.

cnet128

Banned
Baby Steps 5

Breaking a seeded opponent to love using nothing but return winners in the first game of his first match ever
? That's so shonen XD Thankfully the show came up with a surprisingly good justification for it, and the rest of the match has been much more down to earth.

Watching Ei-chan struggle and improve under pressure continues to be tons of fun. Loving this show.

One Week Friends 5:
More progress going on this week. I found Saki kind of annoying at first, but she did grow on me a little bit towards the end of the episode, and it was really nice to see
Fujimiya smiling in class and not being completely locked off from everyone.
Hase seems to be getting a little jealous of things, but at least Kiryu is around to keep him grounded and call him out on some of his shit. I like how quickly the dynamics between the various characters are shifting. This episode wasn't necessarily as heightened emotionally as the previous few, but it was still a really heartfelt piece of television, and very well made. I continue to enjoy pretty much everything this show is throwing at me.

Jarmel

Banned
You make a good point. While I have been thoroughly enjoying Stardust Crusaders it appears that the series overall is unlikely to hit the same kind of highs as Battle Tendency due to the pacing and structure of the story. It's more unusual than it's other shounen brethren though so I will stick with it.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm technically also watching Hunter x Hunter.

I've honestly found Stardust to be pretty much on the same level as Phantom Blood. The characters really aren't anywhere as interesting.

Articalys

Well, it's one month into the season, enough time to get a good handle on most shows, so it's time to dole out some Biggest Letdown and Biggest Surprise awards.

Biggest Letdown for me is probably a tie between SoreSeka and Chaika. The former looked like it might be a nice romance but just couldn't make me care enough about their relationship, while the latter looked like an interesting fantasy show but has been exceedingly average on all counts so far.

Biggest Surprise for me is easily Haikyuu. As I've mentioned before, I'm not really a team sports fan and originally planned to ignore this, but all the praise for the first episode convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. It's got a lot of energy and some really fun character dynamics, and I'm looking forward to what's next.

Narag

Biggest surprise for me was Ping Pong given I have little to no experience with either Yuasa or the source material. Thanks to all those who hyped it!

cnet128

Banned
Gokukoku no Brynhildr 5

Well, I could see that
the girl with the cat was going to die. Her character design wasn't nearly interesting enough to survive ~.~

What I didn't see coming was
the possibility that Kotori might legitimately not be an enemy. That was a well-executed bit of misdirection, with her introduction last episode making it look like she was obviously the AA+ sent to kill them, only for this episode to introduce a different girl who fits that description much better. Of course, Kotori is still suspicious for a number of reasons, so who knows, it could be a double bait-and-switch...

Dresden

watching:

mushishi (just behind by two episodes)
ping pong (just behind by one)
jojo (behind by two)
capn magic (behind by one)
kawaisou (i don't even know why)

Watching:

Keroro
No Game No Life
Future Card BuddyFight [Still on Episode 11]

...and that's it really. I would watch Mushishi and Jojo's but I want to finish off their pervious seasons before starting them.

survivor

Banned
I'm still watching a lot of shit. Might have to cut down on some of the weaker shows like Atelier or World is Still Beautiful.

Mekaku City Whatever 04

HAHA WE ARE SHAFT LOOK HOW SHAFT WE ARE! WATCH HOW MANY TIMES WE CAN USE THE SAME SHOT AND SCENES SO WE CAN CONSERVE BUDGET BEFORE YOU GET BORED AND DROP THIS.
HOPE YOU LIKE POWER LINES!

Well, it's one month into the season, enough time to get a good handle on most shows, so it's time to dole out some Biggest Letdown and Biggest Surprise awards.

Biggest Letdown for me is probably a tie between SoreSeka and Chaika. The former looked like it might be a nice romance but just couldn't make me care enough about their relationship, while the latter looked like an interesting fantasy show but has been exceedingly average on all counts so far.

Biggest Surprise for me is easily Haikyuu. As I've mentioned before, I'm not really a team sports fan and originally planned to ignore this, but all the praise for the first episode convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. It's got a lot of energy and some really fun character dynamics, and I'm looking forward to what's next.

Biggest Letdown is nothing for me. Everything I wanted to watch is pretty good. If I had to pick something it'd be Mekaku City Actors.
Biggest Surprise is Ping Pong or No Game No Life.

Jarmel

Banned
From what I understand from the outside looking in, there's good SHAFT and bad SHAFT. This sounds like bad SHAFT.

Pretty much. It's when they have no fucking restraint and use all these stupid visual cues for no other reason than they can. There's something to be said for having unique direction and another for drowning a show in it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm certainly hyped for all the salt when the Wii-U continues to go from failure to failure!

I'll make sure your avatar isn't left out when they are all plastered on a picture of a hype stagecoach or whatever.

Mokoi

Banned
Biggest surprise this season for me was Kawai Complex it's a solid show.
Don't really have a letdown since I was not really interested in any show this season. Still trying to catch up on my backlog

Brynhildr in the Darkness 5

Kazumi is the best girl out of the bunch. Love the dialect, love the personality. She injects a lot of life into the show. Also, this show's OP is still one of my favorite this season. I've never seen Elfen Leid, so I think I'll check that out now.

One Week Friends 5

New character is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom