• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
ok then *removes from list*

I like to watch some disaster anime though :|

Play Disaster Day of Crisis on Wii. Much like Metal Gear Solid is anime x american action movie this is anime x american disaster movie. It's a great laugh.

duckroll

Play Disaster Day of Crisis on Wii. Much like Metal Gear Solid is anime x american action movie this is anime x american disaster movie. It's a great laugh.

It's not even really anime. It's more like someone really likes Die Hard and Michael Bay movies. And also loves Japanese game jank.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not even really anime. It's more like someone really likes Die Hard and Michael Bay movies. And also loves Japanese game jank.

Yeah, I guess I should say American movies seen from a Japanese perspective. But "anime" is shorter.

To clarify, the tornadoes don't wear panties. It's not completely anime. Sorry for any confusion.

Jarnet87

We finally got to see Kenpachi's Shikai guys ( i think it's shikai, possibly his bankai) and it only took 577 chapters. Please end this soon Kubo, I beg of you.

Mature

Theonik

I'm the BONES expert! :)
What would you even call a BONES expert? If you can call a person a petrolhead would you call a BONES fan a BONEhead?

Where can I get food that says Toki wo tomare on top of it?
Somewhere in ZA WARUDO

Ok I found something that plays them. HIlariously its VLC.
MPC-HC should also play them.

ok then *removes from list*

I like to watch some disaster anime though :|
If you want disaster anime and can deal with utter bullshit contrivance and lack of realism while smugly claiming to be realistic you can still enjoy it!
That and if you are one of those 'feels' people.

cajunator

Banned
What would you even call a BONES expert? If you can call a person a petrolhead would you call a BONES fan a BONEhead?

Somewhere in ZA WARUDO

MPC-HC should also play them.

If you want disaster anime and can deal with utter bullshit contrivance and lack of realism while smugly claiming to be realistic you can still enjoy it!

I kind of wanted that game actually but it wasnt available in the US >_

Tenumi

Banned
So... I'm starting another series that'll take a while to get through...

Dragonball: 01

o6QUqnD.jpg

First things first, I should mention that I'm watching this in a special type of way. I know that, compared to DBZ at least, Dragonball is a bit more humor run, humor that doesn't exactly make it into the English dub. However, I absolutely hate the Japanese dub of the Dragonball series, so I'm compromising on this. I'm watching with English audio and subs (which are true subtitles and not dubtitles). I'd rather have the full experience and enjoy it than suffer in any sort of way, so... Yeah.

Anyway, Our journey begins with Bulma meeting a "young kid" named Goku up on a mountain, where she finds that he has the 4 star dragonball. Combining with the ones she already has, they have 3 already. Bargaining to get Goku's dragonball, she allows him to tag along with her in the search to find the remaining balls. And of course, having somebody to save your skin every so often always helps.

Link Man

Banned
Is The Order a Rabbit? 2

-So, Cocoa announces she has a sister complex, then this happens:

ix8lSoTka0UF7.jpg

I think maybe they're referencing another show.

Anyway, it was cute, but not necessarily memorable to me.

Midonin

Is The Order a Rabbit? 02

Still no Syaro. I like Chiya very much. There's nothing like starting off your morning with some coffee with Sugar. Her super-Japanese aesthetics and flowery naming sense make a nice compliment to the rest of the cast. Seeing Chino bond with Anko the black rabbit was adorable, and the gag about Cocoa getting lost in the town square was also amusing, mostly because it was a chance for Rize to channel maximum Ayayaness. My favorite show of the day has to come and go so early, too.

cajunator

Banned
Is The Order a Rabbit? 02

Still no Syaro. I like Chiya very much. There's nothing like starting off your morning with some coffee with Sugar. Her super-Japanese aesthetics and flowery naming sense make a nice compliment to the rest of the cast. Seeing Chino bond with Anko the black rabbit was adorable, and the gag about Cocoa getting lost in the town square was also amusing, mostly because it was a chance for Rize to channel maximum Ayayaness. My favorite show of the day has to come and go so early, too.

Im pretty sure I will thoroughly enjoy this series based on episode 1.

Tenumi

Banned
Dragonball: 02

16 year old Bulma has to give 14 year old Goku a bath, Goku lacks a nudity taboo, Goku learns about the magic of Breasts, and No Balls!

Yup, going to be a fun ride...

Captain Earth 1

I really hate launch sequences in mech / sci fi shows. When the crew has to explain all the phases. I mean its expected especially if the characters are using new future technology and its fine once in a while in small chunks. But damn its so grating when it goes on for so long.

// INITIATE SEQUENCE
// SIGMAGUAGE AT 0.7! NOW .9! NOW 2.1!!
// WHAT? SIGMA IS at 2.1!?! INITIATE PROTOCOL BETALPHA ZERO NOW
// SET THE COURSE TO THRESHOLD
// EXPANSE THE THERMOMETER & KEEP IT AT LEVEL APPLE 3.14!!!
// ROBOTNESS IS AT MAXIMUM CONNECTIVE WITH DIO
// LAUNCH_NOW

Ugh. That robot launch sequence took too damn long and I was honestly cracking up because most of it made no sense. At least it looked pretty.

And theres also a random pink space robot with tits.

sonicmj1

Crest of the Stars 1

I watched this through Bandai Channel. And while I can handle a show like Idolmaster or a Ghibli movie without subs, a politically-focused distant-future sci-fi show causes bigger problems. Not that it was entirely incomprehensible, but I think a lot of things went over my head.

I like how everything feels, though. The city is the kind of distant-future sci-fi utopia you don't really see anymore, with flying cars and buildings climbing endlessly into the sky. And the music captures that mood wonderfully, full of soaring strings. It reminds me a little bit of a John Williams score.

But the actual events felt like a bit of a mess to me. The entire thing seems to be set seven years before whatever the proper start of the series is, with the protagonist's father surrendering the Earth to a force of powerful invading aliens. Even if resistance would be futile, a lot of people aren't happy with the decision.

There's some interesting stuff there, but to me, a full episode feels like a long time to spend on the establishing events in the past of your setting. Let us learn that stuff as we go!

I'll probably rewatch it again if I can find a way to watch it more coherently.

Tenumi

Banned
Dragonball: 3

It was obvious I was going to screencap that moment...

Goku gets his Nimbus cloud, Bulma gets another dragonball, and Master Roshi, making his first apperance, gets a show he won't forget.

Nafe

tumblr_m7ycpnG6671r0rpa8o1_500.gif

Entering into the new thread.

---

I dunno, it's just... I guess it really sucks to be obsessive about stuff. Even if I know I can safely skim past like 80% of the thread (no offense meant for everyone who posts a lot), I'm always worried of missing some really interesting tidbit buried amongst everything. I also want to be able to interact with the thread more than just posting news and such, but having to skip over large swathes of pages makes it more difficult.

Yeah, learn to quickly decide if something is worth reading closely or not when catching up. Sure, it's unfortunate, but something's gotta give for it to be practical.

Yeah, I still spend too much time reading the thread myself,haha.

I first found the anime threads at NeoGaf during the Winter 2011 season in either February or March. The threads moved more slowly then but I would usually just go to the last page and then try and look back as much as I could.

When the Spring 2011 season started I read every post. That was when I was spending a lot of time reading the thread. I managed to do okay but come the summer season I got about 100 pages behind. It feels bad because I missed so much Idolm@ster discussion then. :(
The same kind of thing happened in another thread where I got really far behind and then just skipped to the current page when OT2 or OT3 started up but then I got really far behind again.

At first though I didn't mind it because I was finding out about all kinds of shows I'd never even heard of. For example, people in the thread seemed to know what Raxpheon was and assumed everyone was familiar with it and had seen it ages ago. I never even heard of it.
I really only paid attention to character designers and it was around then that I thought
I should pay more attention to what studio does what as well. Reading people like duckroll or 7Th talking about all this staff stuff was really interesting then.

The forums that I knew of that had an anime thread either weren't very active or it was a
lot of the kind of fluff talk. Things like that girl is cute or that scene was funny. Not really a whole lot of interesting discussion. Seeing posts from people like Jexhius and others where they were talking about framing and lighting of a scene. That or scene transitions and symbolism and all these film techniques I thought was really interesting.

I haven't been reading every post for a long time now. I feel kind of bad but I skip and skim a lot more now. I still read too much because I'm kind of the same in that I feel I might miss some interesting bit of news or trivia about some staff stuff.

I admire your dedication in putting that whole document together. I've only seen like five or six of them -- plus about half the Ghibli movies -- but nearly my entire anime watching resume (with a few exceptions) has been the few things airing on US TV when I was a kid and simulcasts/currently airing shows from about 2010 onwards. I can't begin to figure out how long some of you people have been anime fans, or are just avid collectors, to have nearly everything on that list already under your belt, especially the 50+ episode shows.

I had seen some shows like DragonBall or Sailormoon since the early nineties but the first time I watched something as it was originally airing was a couple shows in 2010.
I had seen most of Inuyasha so I watched The Final Act for example. Something else as well but I can't remember. It really wasn't until the Winter 2011 season with Madoka that I started following shows as they aired. Just in the last three years then I've watched more anime then I ever had before.

Jexhius pointed out firehawk hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop yet but neither have I. It didn't air on TV where I am so I never even heard of the show until about 2005 or later. I think at least three years after it had aired in the States and like seven in Japan. Anime was kind of expensive as well so I didn't go around blind buying things. Now its just that I haven't got around to it yet.

There were a whole bunch of shows that people talked about in the thread that they seemed to assume everyone had seen. While I've watched it now, I don't recall even hearing about Utena until Madoka was airing. It's quite likely I still might not have seen it without looking at AnimeGaf. At the time people were talking of the news about Penguindrum and the new Utena DVD boxes were coming out. Some people were watching and commenting on Utena in anticipation of Ikuhara coming back after so many years. It was seeing all that that did it for me. If it wasn't for looking at AnimeGaf I'm not even sure if I would have heard of Penguindrum today.

Jexhius expressed surprise that many people still hadn't seen Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress.
I haven't seen it and honestly have no idea what it's even about other than seeing people
mention it a few times now in the threads. Again, if it wasn't for AnimeGaf I'm not sure if
I would have even heard of the movie or Satoshi Kon for that matter.

---

I guess to go back to commenting on reading the thread I'll address madp about me "stalking". I'm not following anyone from the thread, it's really just that I read the thread a lot in the past and really still read it too much today and should really skim more,haha.

People reading the thread probably noticed Hitokage mentioning Doremi a lot lately. Back around 2011 he was commenting about Sailor Moon. Liking the show myself I paid more attention to those posts. I got to know things like he seemed to like Minako the best. When I first started posting in the thread in July of 2012 that's why I commented that Hitokage should notice my Minako avatar. It wasn't that I was "stalking" him or whatever. I just paid more attention to his posts and knew that seeing a new poster with a Minako avatar who liked Sailor Moon would probably catch his attention.

I always liked the "mono no aware" type stuff but didn't know there was a term for that feeling or situation. Finding out what that term was and that there was someone, firehawk12, who liked that sort of thing as well made me pay more attention to his posts. From there I could see what kind of shows had that sort of
thing, like K-On!! for example.

I liked the staff talk so I paid more attention to duckroll and 7Th's posts. From there I saw it mentioned enough times that duckroll was a fan of studio Bones. Having this knowledge before posting in the thread didn't mean I was stalking him, it was just something about him I found out from reading the thread a lot.

cajunator

Banned
tumblr_m7ycpnG6671r0rpa8o1_500.gif

Entering into the new thread.

---

Yeah, I still spend too much time reading the thread myself,haha.

I first found the anime threads at NeoGaf during the Winter 2011 season in either February or March. The threads moved more slowly then but I would usually just go to the last page and then try and look back as much as I could.

When the Spring 2011 season started I read every post. That was when I was spending a lot of time reading the thread. I managed to do okay but come the summer season I got about 100 pages behind. It feels bad because I missed so much Idolm@ster discussion then. :(
The same kind of thing happened in another thread where I got really far behind and then just skipped to the current page when OT2 or OT3 started up but then I got really far behind again.

At first though I didn't mind it because I was finding out about all kinds of shows I'd never even heard of. For example, people in the thread seemed to know what Raxpheon was and assumed everyone was familiar with it and had seen it ages ago. I never even heard of it.
I really only paid attention to character designers and it was around then that I thought
I should pay more attention to what studio does what as well. Reading people like duckroll or 7Th talking about all this staff stuff was really interesting then.

The forums that I knew of that had an anime thread either weren't very active or it was a
lot of the kind of fluff talk. Things like that girl is cute or that scene was funny. Not really a whole lot of interesting discussion. Seeing posts from people like Jexhius and others where they were talking about framing and lighting of a scene. That or scene transitions and symbolism and all these film techniques I thought was really interesting.

I haven't been reading every post for a long time now. I feel kind of bad but I skip and skim a lot more now. I still read too much because I'm kind of the same in that I feel I might miss some interesting bit of news or trivia about some staff stuff.

I had seen some shows like DragonBall or Sailormoon since the early nineties but the first time I watched something as it was originally airing was a couple shows in 2010.
I had seen most of Inuyasha so I watched The Final Act for example. Something else as well but I can't remember. It really wasn't until the Winter 2011 season with Madoka that I started following shows as they aired. Just in the last three years then I've watched more anime then I ever had before.

Jexhius pointed out firehawk hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop yet but neither have I. It didn't air on TV where I am so I never even heard of the show until about 2005 or later. I think at least three years after it had aired in the States and like seven in Japan. Anime was kind of expensive as well so I didn't go around blind buying things. Now its just that I haven't got around to it yet.

There were a whole bunch of shows that people talked about in the thread that they seemed to assume everyone had seen. While I've watched it now, I don't recall even hearing about Utena until Madoka was airing. It's quite likely I still might not have seen it without looking at AnimeGaf. At the time people were talking of the news about Penguindrum and the new Utena DVD boxes were coming out. Some people were watching and commenting on Utena in anticipation of Ikuhara coming back after so many years. It was seeing all that that did it for me. If it wasn't for looking at AnimeGaf I'm not even sure if I would have heard of Penguindrum today.

Jexhius expressed surprise that many people still hadn't seen Satoshi Kon's Millenium Actress.
I haven't seen it and honestly have no idea what it's even about other than seeing people
mention it a few times now in the threads. Again, if it wasn't for AnimeGaf I'm not sure if
I would have even heard of the movie or Satoshi Kon for that matter.

---

I guess to go back to commenting on reading the thread I'll address madp about me "stalking". I'm not following anyone from the thread, it's really just that I read the thread a lot in the past and really still read it too much today and should really skim more,haha.

People reading the thread probably noticed Hitokage mentioning Doremi a lot lately. Back around 2011 he was commenting about Sailor Moon. Liking the show myself I paid more attention to those posts. I got to know things like he seemed to like Minako the best. When I first started posting in the thread in July of 2012 that's why I commented that Hitokage should notice my Minako avatar. It wasn't that I was "stalking" him or whatever. I just paid more attention to his posts and knew that seeing a new poster with a Minako avatar who liked Sailor Moon would probably catch his attention.

I always liked the "mono no aware" type stuff but didn't know there was a term for that feeling or situation. Finding out what that term was and that there was someone, firehawk12, who liked that sort of thing as well made me pay more attention to his posts. From there I could see what kind of shows had that sort of
thing, like K-On!! for example.

I liked the staff talk so I paid more attention to duckroll and 7Th's posts. From there I saw it mentioned enough times that duckroll was a fan of studio Bones. Having this knowledge before posting in the thread didn't mean I was stalking him, it was just something about him I found out from reading the thread a lot.

You really should watch Millennium Actress.

Village

Whilst watching DB on toonami a many moons ago, I remember there being a line in the English dub regarding pirates of the Caribbean.

That was kinda weird.

Thought I would bring it up since someone is watching it apperently

Hotarubi no Mori e

First, 10/10 Husbando:
PiAkKlf.png

That was a nice, simple and beautiful romance story between a girl and a youkai. It's a short movie (ova?), 40 minutes, and it feels it just has the appropriate length for what it tells perfectly, without extra fluff or filler. Bittersweet sad heartwarming.

Gbraga

Hotarubi no Mori e

First, 10/10 Husbando:

That was a nice, simple and beautiful romance story between a girl and a youkai. It's a short movie (ova?), 40 minutes, and it feels it just has the appropriate length for what it tells perfectly, without extra fluff or filler. Bittersweet sad heartwarming.

Looks great (both the art and the dude)! One more to ZA BACKLOG

So... I'm starting another series that'll take a while to get through...

Dragonball: 01

First things first, I should mention that I'm watching this in a special type of way. I know that, compared to DBZ at least, Dragonball is a bit more humor run, humor that doesn't exactly make it into the English dub. However, I absolutely hate the Japanese dub of the Dragonball series, so I'm compromising on this. I'm watching with English audio and subs (which are true subtitles and not dubtitles). I'd rather have the full experience and enjoy it than suffer in any sort of way, so... Yeah.

Anyway, Our journey begins with Bulma meeting a "young kid" named Goku up on a mountain, where she finds that he has the 4 star dragonball. Combining with the ones she already has, they have 3 already. Bargaining to get Goku's dragonball, she allows him to tag along with her in the search to find the remaining balls. And of course, having somebody to save your skin every so often always helps.
Oh this is going toi be a long journey.

Planning just dragon ball or DBZ too ?

Whose sacrifice should i made to get someone to license this in europe ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Very much not a new idea - Aquarion, Godannar (sort of), hell even De:Vadasy where the mech were powered by orgasms (although that's kind of hentai so...)
I only watched Evol, but it was more "emotional bond" than straight up "blood to penis" though.

I've been watching anime since 2008.
The way I look at it is thus - if you keep up with the latest anime as it airs you'll probably find one great show per season. If you go back and watch a selection of choice anime you can watch 30 great shows back to back.
I know Hosanna hates the zeitgeist, but it's like anything. Forget anime, there's a lot of canon TV that people could/should watch if they're interested in American broadcast television as a medium. But it's much easier to watch Reign and go on twitter and react with hashtags than it is to watch The Mary Tyler Moore show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom