• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw a shirtless man riding a bike with a cat slung around his neck, with the cat wearing a hat. It was nice.

I went in SXSW and my friends and I were keeping it weird. We had animal masks. I was a rooster, my friends were a pig and a unicorn. We'd go to clubs with the masks on and people would dance with us 24/7. It was amazing.

cajunator

Banned
A lot off topic but I dont really like when cities make themselves artificially "weird" because then it fills up with people who are just doing odd things for the sake of standing out in the crowd. Its kind of boring as a result. Truly eccentric towns spring up in the middle of nowhere, like Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Uhm...anyway, lets discuss how fucking amazing Aila is because she is already FUCKING AMAZING.

Uhm...anyway, lets discuss how fucking amazing Aila is because she is already FUCKING AMAZING.
Posting this again because Humi is GOD.
PXvoGJe.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 11

Aila <3
Looks like a Basttle Royale has begun. Bringing out the big guns. Literally.
And then the guy at the end lost his shit. Somethings up.

cnet128

Banned
Is SDBurton still alive? I just found a TV show that was basically made for him.

Faking It
6r8ScZPl.jpg

It might as well be a live action Sakura Trick + Citrus + Aoi Hana + Fragments of Love. lol
An Amy Sherman-Palladino-esque script teen romcom about a girl discovering her own sexuality in what is apparently the only liberal city in Texas, Austin.

It's like what I wish Sakura Trick was, but fully realized. lol

Haven't seen this show, but from reading the premise it sounds like you can probably add Nisekoi to the list, since it has the whole "pretending to be a couple except omg the feelings might be real" plotline going on =p

Theonik

Escaflowne of the Heavens 01
Not that much to comment on. There were lots of teases of caped mechs which were awesome and a bunch of other things.
The main character seems to be trapped in quite the reverse harem situation if I'm reading this right too.
Also there was a dragon which was poorly made with digital means that made me want to bleach my eyes.
I like the designs in this so far though, and the final reveal was cool.

fertygo

Fate/Zero are one of the best Chuunibyou anime for me, but I can understand if people saying its doesn't belong in same class as other anime that known with its craft. Like no matter if we got the super perfect blockbuster superhero movie, maybe its will not ever right to say its as good as known masterpiece with arthouse approach lol.

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 12

This episode was awesome as fuck.

Reiji X Aila is yet another adorable pairing.

also AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST

and so on.

92558374h8f25.jpg

Oh My Goddess. Dress her up in cat ears and maid outfits all you want, but I still prefer her default appearance(s). Wedding dresses are an exception.

On a related note, I read through a bunch of the DAL short stories recently. I'm fine with her cat association providing they handle it like they did in one of them, where
she's caught playing with one by Shido / Tohka, pretends to be a clone to avoid embarrassment, then has a clone drag her away to 'execute' her for damaging her reputation.
There needs to be more interaction between her and
her clones
in general, since it makes for the funniest moments.

Caesnd

Fate/Zero are one of the best Chuunibyou anime for me, but I can understand if people saying its doesn't belong in same class as other anime that known with its craft. Like no matter if we got the super perfect blockbuster superhero movie, maybe its will not ever right to say its as good as known masterpiece with arthouse approach lol.

The most widely recognized movies of all time are certainly not art house productions.

cajunator

Banned
92558374h8f25.jpg

Oh My Goddess. Dress her up in cat ears and maid outfits all you want, but I still prefer her default appearance(s). Wedding dresses are an exception.

On a related note, I read through a bunch of the DAL short stories recently. I'm fine with her cat association providing they handle it like they did in one of them, where
she's caught playing with one by Shido / Tohka, pretends to be a clone to avoid embarrassment, then has a clone drag her away to 'execute' her for damaging her reputation.
There needs to be more interaction between her and
her clones
in general, since it makes for the funniest moments.

HELL YEAH I WILL

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haven't seen this show, but from reading the premise it sounds like you can probably add Nisekoi to the list, since it has the whole "pretending to be a couple except omg the feelings might be real" plotline going on =p
I was sticking with mostly yuri analogues, but yes. lol

My friend really likes Faking It. She's always posting them tumblr gifs.
It's amusing in that self-aware-people-talk-like-they're-in-a-tv-show kind of way, but they're not insufferable assholes like anyone on a Sorkin TV show.

A) I'm glad the Season 2 announcement of GBF is causing more people to check out Season 1. I have no idea where they'll take Season 2 though.
Oh there are a couple of things they can do :
Gundam build fighters spoilers
1)
Focus on reiji world ( we know sh*t about that after all )
2)
Since we got the particles back, just make another tournament, as for the ennemy , just pick another company wanting the particles, or someone again from reiji world
3)
Get a new cast of characters and a new storyline ( unlikely i'll give you that )
Gundam Build Fighters 12

This episode was awesome as fuck.

Reiji X Aila is yet another adorable pairing.

also AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST AILA BEST

and so on.
everyone knew right away that aila was
So adorable..
Those numbers are month old , right now the fanart levels are still high.

Narag

Got started on Stardust Crusaders.

... Were there two commercial breaks in there? This is the first anime I've ever noticed that in, is it starting over there or have I just not noticed it with other shows for whatever reason?

Magi had that too.

Jintor

btw windows 8 can go die in a hole

i don't care how cute your moe-tan is. I've had to factory reset this new laptop 4 times in 2 days. This is bullshit

Samurai Flamenco 05

I admit. I was grinning like a fool when Masayoshi was reading his grandfather's letter. JUSTICE. It was nice to see him get more assertive and secure in his identity as Samurai Flamenco instead of being a doormat for Flamenco Girl.

That said, getting to work on a tokusatsu show was sort of an eye-opener for him, but I just loved his enthusiasm.

Jarmel

Banned
Aside for describing immature behavior the term also used for referring to fantasy flick with animanga familiar ingredient like Mecha/magic, Fate is obviously Chuuni stuff.

That is absurdly broad and a context that I've never even heard people associate with before.

duckroll

That is absurdly broad and a context that I've never even heard people associate with before.

I don't think he explained it well, but what actually makes a show/manga/game "chuuni" is usually the presentation. It's kinda derogatory in the same way as how some people tend to look down comic book or videogame style works in the west which try super hard to be taken seriously.

When you have something like Naruto or One Piece, where it's clearly targeted at kids and not trying to be anything more, that's not really chuuni because it knows what it is. But when you have those same elements but in a more "serious" context where the authors clearly seem to be taking everything seriously even though it has ridiculous stuff like "The 5th Holy Grail War" and all sorts of made up "rules" and characters shouting attacks while doing them, that's definitely what people would call "chuuni". That also includes all sorts of references to "cool" stuff like [The Mage Association] and so on. It's just viewed as very childish manchildren stuff. Yes, stuff like Xenogears and FFXV are totally viewed that way too.

I guess one parallel in a western context would be the term "syfy". It doesn't mean the same thing, but in cultural tone it's similar in the sense that it's a critique by viewers comparing actual scifi works which are approached in good faith, and scifi works which are just pandering dumbed down stuff meant to hook dumb audiences with superficial presentation and garbage worldbuilding which relies on twists and poorly thought out but cool sounding stuff. Oh, and I guess "phantasy" works the same way too.

sonicmj1

It was actually used in a similar context in one of the interviews about the light novel.

Unlike Shirou, Fate/Zero presents a lot of characters who fight for valiant ideals like "ending all wars" and "arriving at the root of it all."

Nasu: They're all pretty old, so they fight with firm belief systems. However, among them, Matou Kariya, who's fighting for Sakura's freedom, is an anomaly. He, and only he, fights for a very shonen manga-esque ideal, "to save a girl." In that respect, I think it's easier for the reader to identify with Kariya compared to the valiant types like Kiritsugu. And I heard that Uncle Kariya's actual popularity (*2) among fans is off the charts. He is in love with Aoi, who's actually a wedded woman with a child, but he still isn't able to grow up, and dreams about being united with her. He's a bit of a problem.

Takeuchi: I see. So Kariya is sort of like the chunibyo hero of the story.

Uro: It's a disease that summons death. Because he has the "chunibyo" disease, he let the worms into his body, until finally he only has one month left to life.

Nasu: Maybe all chunibyo are fated to end up this way... I have chronic chunibyo myself, so maybe I'll end up just like Kariya... (Laughs)

Takeuchi: Kariya really seems like the main character in the anime version of Fate/Zero. His drive to save Sakura and how he envelops the depression connected to Tokiomi really makes him look like a dark hero. Maybe that's why he's so popular.

Nasu: Usually if I drew a dark hero like Kariya, he'd lose almost everything only to have all his hard work pay off in the end.
But of course, Urobuchi-san goes and has characters like Kariya die without any sort of retribution.

Uro:
Well, I did let him see a "good dream" at the end. (Laughs) In the beginning, I actually wanted to do more with him. But because of the way his body ended up, making him fight more would kill him...

Nasu:
And Berserker was too strong, one of them could easily take out other Servants.

Not quite the same thing, though.

Jintor

I guess one parallel in a western context would be the term "syfy". It doesn't mean the same thing, but in cultural tone it's similar in the sense that it's a critique by viewers comparing actual scifi works which are approached in good faith, and scifi works which are just pandering dumbed down stuff meant to hook dumb audiences with superficial presentation and garbage worldbuilding which relies on twists and poorly thought out but cool sounding stuff. Oh, and I guess "phantasy" works the same way too.

I've never heard those terms (besides the syfy channel) but I can kind of get what you're going at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom