• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I just came back from Godzilla and whoever was saying that at the end they expected Godzilla to look at the camera, give a wink and a thumbs up wasn't far off. My friend and I were laughing so hard at the end when he suggested

"Maybe they'll show Godzilla a picture of Al Qaeda, that's the sequel. God-Zirra Dark Thirty"

What if Chaika is my favorite show?

Then that 'your' isn't referring to you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
WIXOSS 08

Not enough PABLO POWER.

dfUkUFKl.jpg
JWohs3ql.jpg

2Es5yZHl.jpg
8PQKkTMl.jpg

YdIr00Ul.jpg
ALrflA0l.jpg

Jex

Sunrise Exec 1: So, this EVA thing is pretty popular. We should try to get in on some of that.
Sunrise Exec 2: Okay, let's make the ending completely incomprehensible and borrow imagery from 2001, A Space Odyssey.
Sunrise Exec 1: Best. Idea. Ever.

Gundam Unicorn 7.

Owch.

Narag

If only somebody could explain to me the type of show Wixoss truly is...

madp had a big writeup that made it sound like the card battle shenanigans of YuGiOh crossed with the soul crushing character interaction of the okada masterwork Black Rock Shooter

If it wasn't for this hotel Internet sucking so much ding dong from 10 pm to like 4 am I would so watch this episode right now. But I don't wanna waste my phones data plan on long episodes.

Link Man

Banned
Wagnaria 4

...elevator shoes?!!

Soma's pretty smooth.

Sota has 4 sisters? And they're all tall. I guess that kind of explains his tastes.

...starting to warm up to Inami.

Oh, and crosdressing as a baby. That's...something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If I could take just a moment to remind everyone exactly what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is:

Now, it's important to keep in mind that there are several intertwining personal conflicts that comprise the show's plot. Ruko is still the main protagonist, of course--she's the Meguca in all of this, a player of unparalleled might who still cannot "play" the game the way that it's meant to be played because she has no wish to fight for.

However, if you've been reading these posts weekly, you know that there's also Yuzuki. She's Ruko's friend, and she does have a wish. And that wish is to fuck her brother.

This episode is almost entirely concerned with that wish, and WIXOSS continues to be firmly unambiguous in its perspective that Yuzuki is unquestionably right to pursue this wish and that everyone who expresses ethical misgivings or downright repulsion at the notion is just a big fat meanie who just doesn't understand the pain of forbidden love.

In short, IT'S AN INCEST EPISODE.

We begin the episode with Ruko and Yuzuki
barely escaping getting their faces slashed
courtesy Mari Okada's favorite character. Ruko and Yuzuki reluctantly but mutually accept that it's too dangerous to continue being so close with each other in such a dangerous game. Ruko is distraught, but Yuzuki is almost disturbingly upbeat, expressing optimism and renewed motivation to become an Eternal Girl and have her wish granted because she's going to be transformed. That is, when she fucks her brother.

http://a.pomf.se/dkfjzh.webm

Yuzuki eventually battles with another Selector in her quest to have her wish granted. In the midst, we get this gem of a scene, where Yuzuki's resolve in battle intensifies as she looks back on all of the terrible things that the people who just don't understand her have put her through, eventually culminating in the grand declaration that she'll CHANGE THIS WORLD where PEOPLE CAN'T ACCEPT HER LOVE. Whatever that means. At this point, her delusion is so amazingly strong that she imagines herself and her brother as the prince and princess of a fairy tale. I mean, incest is common among royalty, but come on.

http://a.pomf.se/cskfjh.webm

Meanwhile, Yuzuki's brother is at the WIXOSS shop playing some friendly matches. Keep in mind that Yuzuki is far from alone in her desire for the Kazuki dick. For some reason that is never elaborated upon, Kazuki is wildly popular with the girls in his grade and has a gaggle of bimbo sycophants that follow him everywhere like lust-crazed little puppies. One of these girls takes him aside privately and confesses to him, and he politely declines.

That results in....................this:

http://a.pomf.se/syorlr.webm

SUCH LOGIC WOW.
"If you're not fucking your sister, then prove it by kissing me."
ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Poor Kazuki. He just likes being around his sister and interprets her clinginess as harmless sibling affection, right? He's not reciprocating some of the very feelings that he doesn't suspect that his sister feels toward him, right?

RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!!?

http://a.pomf.se/ffeisl.webm

NO STOP THE WHOLE FUCKING THING IS PREDICATED ON KAZUKI BEING A TOTALLY UNWITTING PARTY TO YUZUKI'S INTENDED BROTHERFUCKERY AND THE PERSON FROM WHICH THE ONLY INKLING OF MORAL CONCERN THAT THE SHOW CASTS UPON YUZUKI'S BEHAVIOR ARISES BECAUSE YUZUKI IS BEING TOTALLY INCONSIDERATE OF WHAT LOSING THREE TIMES WILL DO TO HER BROTHER BECAUSE NOT ONLY WILL THEY NEVER FUCK BUT PER THE RULES OF THE GAME THEIR PLATONIC FAMILIAL RELATIONSHIP WILL BE RUINED FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES TOO WHICH UNFAIRLY JEOPARDIZES HIS HAPPINESS DON'T RUIN THIS NOW WIXOSS DON'T YOU RUIN THIS ONE LAST SHRED OF POTENTIAL SYMPATHETIC VICTIMHOOD IN THIS SCENARIO

Kazuki returns home. Oh, and before I get ahead of myself,
Yuzuki's last battle ends with her ACTUALLY BECOMING AN ETERNAL GIRL hells yeah time for incest because oh I don't know THIS CARD GAME HAS NO RULES SO WHY SHOULD THE FANTASY ELEMENT?
He finds Yuzuki there, and upon seeing Kazuki,
Yuzuki feigns a fainting spell in order to lure Kazuki into her bed.

And now, after all of this, the culmination thus far of this morally bankrupt tale transparently crafted for an audience so far-removed from reality that they can no longer enjoy anything that does not directly and continuously validate their sad isolation-born depravity:

http://a.pomf.se/bpsmob.webm

[screams externally]

[screams externally again]

And it's only going to get creepier from here.

Youre at a hotel? Vacation or anime con?

Nah. Have an internship for the summer and it was either this or inconveniencing others and myself by staying in a house further away. It's a fairly cheap extended stay hotel and cozy enough. The internet goes to shit at night though. Good thing on most weekdays I'll be so tired to stay past 10 pm anyways.

cheezcake

So I know it's not related to the Spring season of anime, but I've been watching Space Battleship Yamato because it's so highly recommended on GAF.

The thing is after 5 episodes it is just really not doing anything for me, there's so much awkward exposition in the dialogue and the story and characters are all pretty cliche. So does it improve as it goes on or is it just not for me?

Articalys

Full sales list for May 12-18:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1397

Here's the most important bit:

Meganebu! v6, final volume, sells 176 BDs, DVDs do not rank. Series average: 176 with only BDs ranking.

The absolute last possible moment to rank: the final volume, on just one format, at #100 of 100 for the week, in one of the lowest thresholds we’ve had.

It is now, officially, the worst selling ranked anime in history.
*according to known Oricon data, at least.

Other final averages include Galilei Donna with about 650 (BD numbers only) and that idol wrestling show with just over 1,000 BD+DVD, both 6 volumes total.

Madp you are the Batman of this show, saving us of suffering through it by giving us the interesting parts with the cheesy bad shit front and center. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. How else would I see an anime where if two siblings are close it HAS to mean they're fucking. Fucking anime logic lol.

So I know it's not related to the Spring season of anime, but I've been watching Space Battleship Yamato because it's so highly recommended on GAF.

The thing is after 5 episodes it is just really not doing anything for me, there's so much awkward exposition in the dialogue and the story and characters are all pretty cliche. So does it improve as it goes on or is it just not for me?
Eeh while it does get better if you're not enjoying it right now just stop. It's obviously not for you. If cliches bother you then I wish you luck with like 90% of anime since they tend to rely on both tv and genre tropes.

cajunator

Banned
MadP you are so fucking awesome. I wish you could tolerate Louisianas surface of the sun heat so we could hang out like bros and watch terrible anime.

Link Man

Banned
Full sales list for May 12-18:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1397

Here's the most important bit:

*according to known Oricon data, at least.

Other final averages include Galilei Donna with about 650 (BD numbers only) and that idol wrestling show with just over 1,000 BD+DVD, both 6 volumes total.

Knowing nothing about this series:

Wikipedia said:
The series follows the activities of five guys belonging to their school's Glasses Club and the antics resulting from their shared passion for eye-wear.

I mean, what? Is it supposed to be like a boy version of Yuyushiki?

New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

The official website for the 20th anniversary of the Sailor Moon franchise announced on Friday that there will be an advance premiere screening event for the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime series. The women's fashion magazine ViVi is collaborating on the June 30 event to celebrate the heroine Usagi's birthday.

The "birthday party" will feature ViVi models and "secret guests." The Zepp Diver City facility in Tokyo will host the screening of the new anime's first episode on June 30 at 7:00 p.m. However, the staff caution that the time is subject to change. Moreover, male attendees will not be allowed — unless accompanied by a female attendee.

JCG

You're right on those points. I'm not saying that SEED is exactly like Code Geass, I'm just reminded of Geass with SEED's scenario with Kira and Athrun (two good friends on opposite sides of a war, a la Suzaku and Lelouch) and also with the Coordinators and Naturals (The two main races that are fighting each other in the war, a la Britannians and Japanese).

But as you said, the characters are entirely different, and the goals are as well. Sorry if it sounded like I was comparing the two, because where I am now, SEED really is in a different league than Geass. I was just reminded of the seriousness that Geass was trying to go for in its first few episodes before everything went crazy, is all.

Honestly, I don't think that comparison holds up on closer inspection. Coordinators and Naturals don't have too much in common with the Britannians and Japanese other than just being opposing sides. They're Earthnoids and Spacenoids with genetic modification as more of an issue, plus there are obvious stand-ins for the Federation and Zeon. In other words, the original SEED is totally within standard Gundam territory in terms of both content, tone and execution. That's what Fukuda was trying to replicate and update, fairly successfully, but not remotely what Taniguchi was trying to go for.

I rewatched the first couple of episodes of the SEED Remaster a few months back on a whim, probably to compare it with the start of Valvrave, and the differences jumped out at me more than anything else. That includes the whole "seriousness" question, since SEED is basically a fully straight-laced mecha war drama while early Code Geass already has larger-than-life theatricality, school comedy, death fake outs, in-jokes and random silliness that co-exists right along with the political talk. The first SEED has its moments of levity, but it would be too bashful to attempt a lot of those right out of the gate. Or maybe I should just say Pizza Hut and leave it at that.

What both series do have in common is the use of bishounen/bishoujo characters, the initial "friends as rivals" angle and Euphemia/Suzaku being essentially a glorified pastiche of Lacus/Kira at first, although even that last part ends up being twisted around on purpose as kind of a continuation of the not-very-subtle jab at Kira in late GunxSword, in retrospect, but sadly not nearly enough people have seen that show to make such a connection. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Madp you are the Batman of this show, saving us of suffering through it by giving us the interesting parts with the cheesy bad shit front and center. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. How else would I see an anime where if two siblings are close it HAS to mean they're fucking. Fucking anime logic lol.

The worst thing about this particular piece of anime logic is that
IT ENDS UP BEING RETROACTIVELY JUSTIFIED

MadP you are so fucking awesome. I wish you could tolerate Louisianas surface of the sun heat so we could hang out like bros and watch terrible anime.

Find me a job that actually gives me paid vacation days and I would drive there just to marathon Yami all night with you.

cheezcake

Eeh while it does get better if you're not enjoying it right now just stop. It's obviously not for you. If cliches bother you then I wish you luck with like 90% of anime since they tend to rely on both tv and genre tropes.

I don't really mind cliches if the story is still told well, but the exposition really bothered me.

Other than Steins Gate and Attack on Titan I haven't really been able to find a new-ish anime which I really like mainly because a lot of shows handle dialogue so awkwardly, though it could just be bad fansubs I suppose

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Unicorn-5
http://a.pomf.se/gowjlr.webm
Well, that was.... ok. After the fourth episode this was much better. That's mostly due to Banagher not talking for a good chunk of the episode. He's still a pain in the ass but the rest of the characters made up for it. I did have issues with FourAllenby Marida mainly because she has been done so many times already in the Gundam franchise. So original. It also covered a lot of ground in the last episode so it felt like a waste of time.
There was a lot of old-school Gundam cameos and stuff from Zeta. I wasn't really expecting it so I got a bit of a kick from that. I was hoping Banagher would get a nice Bright slap but alas.
iBkCMgJmdoQb2.jpg

Just look at that despair
The blonde chump would probably describe himself as a nice guy. I was laughing so much at him getting rejected. Looks like he's going to be the villain for the remaining episodes.
There was seemingly a lot more CGI in this episode which hurt the visuals. One area of animation that I thought was disappointing was the camerawork. This is an issue I've had with the rest of the series in that the camerawork for the fights is pretty flat. I expected a lot more out of the aerial battles. There is a lot of detail in the animation but the camerawork/storyboarding limits the impact.
There was also the reuniting scene between Banagher and Audrey. It was clearly a throwback to the scene in the first episode, which was a throwback to the classic midair grabbing scene in Macross.
When you're referencing a reference, I feel it hurts the impact of the scene. That said, I will give them points for trying as it was sort of emotional seeing their reactions.
That ending song was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom