• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bag of Deep-Fried Donkey Dicks Matsutarou 02

Matsutarou is still a pugnacious waste of oxygen, but I'm still looking at the redemption plot long-term. The
DOSUKOI OF JUSTICE
at the end of the episode should allay the fears of anyone who was concerned that he's not going to pay penance and be hammered down before he can become a new man. Y'all are gonna be sorry when this is this year's Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

2JEr5Nl.jpg

Fine work, Toei. But something had to die so that Cure Honey's transformation could live.

cnet128

Banned
I thought they made that really clear. It's a metaphor that helps us understand what drives our dual protagonists.

In Smile's flashback, he's trapped inside the cleaning closet, and the "hero" saves him. He talks about "hot blood" and we see him defeating bad guys (like the ones that mock Smile later). He's a hero of justice. He's stirred by emotion. And it's suggested that this "hero" is Peco. Peco gave Smile someone he could count on when he was in trouble. Smile at one time thought that he wanted to be like Peco, but that's not who he is.

So when Smile tries to summon the "hero" in his fight, no hero will come. He's not a hero. But he can become the robot, the emotionless machine focused on nothing but victory. And that's how he wins.

Ah, thanks, that makes a lot of sense now you spelled it out. I'm so bad at picking up on these things.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 3

Walk Like an Egyptian isn't a song that gets you excited. Would be cool if they change it once the gang gets to Egypt and things get serious.

Stop using Walk Like An Egyptian...when they get to Egypt? Not that I think that's a bad idea, but it would certainly be ironic xp

I'd just like to take a moment again to remind everyone what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is.

It's that kind of show. You have one guess as to who Mari Okada's favorite character is

Hahaha, yeah. I was tempted to start my impressions of this episode with "This show is Okada as FUCK" or something along those lines, but since I already did that last week...

So WIXOSS is on pace to outdoing BRS TV?

Personally I think this show feels significantly better than BRS TV so far. It gives off a lot of the same vibes, but the characterisation and the plot actually make sense instead of everyone's actions being ridiculously contrived to achieve maximum despair. And everyone having avatar partners who they use to fight in card games is a hell of a lot more straightforward than everyone having alternate-universe dreamselves who carry out bizarre battles that are almost entirely disconnected from the actual plot but metaphorically represent their emotional troubles except it's also literal.

There's still plenty of room for this show to become as ridiculous as BRS TV's plot ended up being, but I have hopes that it will keep itself in check.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 2 [Endless Eight Part 1]

there's no way it can get more repetitive then Tatami Galaxy.

I haven't actually seen Tatami Galaxy, but I am 99% sure you are going to be eating these words.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
At least the episode preview and title seems to suggest in goes full on Okada mode next episode. Hopefully Twin finds out. But seriously can we get an explanation of the mechanics already.

Who cares about game mechanics when you have feelings and emotions? Yu-Gi-Oh! would have been so much better if the Duel Monsters battles were just flimsy expressions of the characters' psychological states.

cnet128

Banned
Probably. Does Endless Eight reuse half it's animation and lines every episode? If it does then I could very well be eating those words. (Like usual)

I can tell you it doesn't reuse any animation.

I can also tell you it...doesn't reuse half the lines.

Your words will nevertheless be eaten.

Date a Live S2 2

Opening: There's no way I was ever going to dislike the song after hearing it in the PV.
Ending: I enjoy it more than the previous season.

The Twins are here~

Their bickering never gets old.

Really think the voices for both of them fit perfectly.

Liking the Yoshino scenes so she doesn't become completely irrelevant.

I can tell you it doesn't reuse any animation.

I can also tell you it...doesn't reuse half the lines.

Your words will nevertheless be eaten.

That won't be a surprise to me and several others here. :p

At least someone will get enjoyment from my suffering... if I suffer.

I have a question actually.... Did people see it coming on the first episode or even the second episode? Because I only just started and I like it but I can definitely see some getting irritated depending on how repetitious it is.

Again I am getting ahead of myself as I haven't even started Part 2 yet. I am sure I can solidify a better opinion after that.

Second episode started and I thought to myself "oh it's one of those" so out of curiosity I read the episode synopsis for the other episodes, because people kept warning me agains it. When I read what was going to happen for the rest of the episodes, I just stopped watching and skipped to the ending scene of the last EE episode. I didn't have the patience to have KyoAni shove a middle finger unto my face.

[IG]http://anime.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/silver-spoon-tamako.png[/IMG]

To be fair a joke is
when she gets skinny, she's super attractive
. But yes, good on the author for making a character that's not the butt of the joke just because she's fat. She's easily the most capable character out of all of the main chars.

BluWacky

Most of the people I know that like Azumanga Daioh are female.

Conversely, most of the girls I know who watch anime don't like Azumanga!

Of course, shows can have appeal to all sorts of people. It just strikes me that WIXOSS is so clearly designed to appeal to men who play CCGs, is all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's subverted since she becomes a typical anime girl from time to time.

But usually ugly girls are meant to be trolling the audience/main character:
xSnxhe3l.jpg

---

So, a legit question about Mushishi. Is Ginko pretty much a David Attenborough type in that he simply observes and documents nature but doesn't seem himself as an active agent whenever mushi get involved with humanity? Like, he's willing to offer advice, but based on the three episodes this season, he doesn't seem to feel the need to actually help. It seems to be about letting the people make their own mistakes and leaving it up to them to figure out how to solve their own problems by themselves.

Aquarion EVOL - 7

Okay come on now show, I really want to like you. But really? The guys here are freaking out over a moving frog doll that was CLEARLY shown moving around before in other episodes?

And then comes the fact that
the girl from the ghost story was never dead at all. Just invisible this whole time. This backstory is flawed in so many ways I don't know where to begin.

UGGGGGH.

If it wasn't for the dub I probably would have dropped this show by now. These voice actors really put a ton of spirit into their respective characters. The fact that the super catchy opening song is often used as an insert song during the fight scenes helps too.

I also find it really interesting that it's not the school that's prohibiting love
it's the mecha itself going out of control when it happens.
So I like that about the show.

But the things that drag the show down, really drag it down.

See, the CG here is waaaayy too distracting as I've said before. There are better ways to do CG Mecha (not doing it at all, for example) and this is not one of them.

The mecha in Aquarion EVOL do not look like they should even be in CG. And quite frankly, even if the mecha was 2D I'd be questioning the design of that thing just a little.

Then there's the characters. Now I'm not particularly annoyed by anybody here. The piano guy and the digging guy are my favourites out of all of them, and I kinda sorta enjoy the green-haired one who's clearly there for the fanserice judging from her outfit.

But the main duo is not interesting at all. I'm not touched at all by the romance by Mikono and Amata. Nothing is super gripping or touching about it, and for a romance that's a pretty big problem.

But like I said, it's the show's spirit that I enjoy. Despite the main duo not being too interesting and the CG mecha, the show's got a ton of heart as a Super Robot show with the help of the dub.

So I'm gonna hold out hope that this show's story gets better later on and that the CG mecha will get more tolerable and/or possibly better.

cajunator

Banned
School Days 1

So I've fortunately (or unfortunately) have been around the internet long enough to know how this ends, but haven't actually watched the show. I imagine that's like seeing only the giant drop from the top of a rollercoaster without actually getting on the ride.

soccer-commentators.png

Well...I'm buckled the fuck in. No turning back, motherfucker.

Mushishi S2 3

Pretty standard Mushishi episode, but that's still pretty damn good.

Heh. that takes some of the fun out of it but Im interested to see what you think.

Man, that Date a Live thing has a questionable character design.

You are questioning the great Tsunako?

Second episode started and I thought to myself "oh it's one of those" so out of curiosity I read the episode synopsis for the other episodes, because people kept warning me agains it. When I read what was going to happen for the rest of the episodes, I just stopped watching and skipped to the ending scene of the last EE episode. I didn't have the patience to have KyoAni shove a middle finger unto my face.

Oh joy... this sounds fun.

I am gonna do it though. I am gonna watch all of Endless Eight.

ckohler

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 25

8dnNDAB.jpg

FUCK EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THIS ROTTEN TOWN! (with the exception of 3 people)

"Oh, we can return to our normal peaceful lives if we kill these 2 kids"

I could just feel my back muscles tightening, I wanted to hit someone so bad

Was that image in the show? Because that's a quote from "I have no mouth, and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison.

Nafe

Mimic is a broken skill in any RPG, like in FF7 where you can Omnislash then Mimic until dead.

I think I tried this to see if one character could mimic another limit break. Don't believe it worked though,haha. It was worth a shot.

I think most Final Fantasy's you can really break in the end game. I actually equipped Yuffie with her Rising Sun weapon and then loaded her up with counter materia. Enemy attacks Yuffie, Yuffie counterattacks eight times doing 9999 damage each time for approximately 80K damage,haha. I think the only things you don't one-shot are the Weapons and possibly Sephiroth. Makes him a whole lot easier though,haha.

While it naturally makes your turn take a while, I also did counter with Knights of the Round plus MP absorb so I could keep doing it,haha.

WIXOSS 03

Weak week for PABLO POWER.

I'm not watching this show but I like your posts about it because of Pablo Power.

I'd just like to take a moment again to remind everyone what kind of show selector infected WIXOSS truly is.

It's that kind of show. You have one guess as to who Mari Okada's favorite character is:

http://a.pomf.se/vwivez.webm

Can you guess yet?

Due to your ongoing relationship with Toei I actually checked if this was a Toei show. Looks like it's J.C. Staff though.

There's really no reason to though.

This. There's a couple of folks here who actually liked it, but they were watching the show as it was broadcasting. Most people seem to give off the vibe that if they were watching it as backlog, they would've skipped a lot of episodes.

You literally won't get anything out of watching it all. There's no secret club of "I watched all of Endless Eight" where all the ladies swoon as you pass by. It's just a cold disappointment and a general waste of time.

if you're watching it for Haruhi's antics, then fuck maybe you'll enjoy it. And that's a maybe. Keep watching I guess

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are they not enjoyable to watch? As you know, I watch the show for Haruhi's antics so as long as there's that I will be fine I think.
Other than one episode having a troll ending, I don't know if any of the small variations are actually worth watching though.

This. There's a couple of folks here who actually liked it, but they were watching the show as it was broadcasting. Most people seem to give off the vibe that if they were watching it as backlog, they would've skipped a lot of episodes.
Pretty much. It's like watching a sports event a few years after the fact.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, a legit question about Mushishi. Is Ginko pretty much a David Attenborough type in that he simply observes and documents nature but doesn't seem himself as an active agent whenever mushi get involved with humanity? Like, he's willing to offer advice, but based on the three episodes this season, he doesn't seem to feel the need to actually help. It seems to be about letting the people make their own mistakes and leaving it up to them to figure out how to solve their own problems by themselves.
No. He will do things when he needs to.

You literally won't get anything out of watching it all. There's no secret club of "I watched all of Endless Eight" where all the ladies swoon as you pass by. It's just a cold disappointment and a general waste of time.

if you're watching it for Haruhi's antics, then fuck maybe you'll enjoy it. And that's a maybe. Keep watching I guess

Well that is disappointing to hear. I thought I would get a Medal of Honor or something. Lol.

Date A Live S2 2
So one of the twins has basically a chuunibyou personality and the other one is like a computer. Pretty interesting twins.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hrm, alright. So far he seems kind of detached from the people he meets anyway.
I didn't watch this week yet, but if the party is uncooperative there's nothing he can do. He isn't Jesus either. He doesn't roam the land preforming miracles. How much he can help people is often limited beyond guiding them down the path that causes the least damage.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Akuma no Riddle Episode 3:

Grant me the power to revolutionize the world. Yea, not going to lie here but this show feels like thrift store Revolutionary Girl Utena as viewed by the prisoners in the Allegory of the Cave. Indeed this series is confounding, but not because we are dealing with intricately complex characters who have been richly developed over layers and layers of dense and ambiguous symbolism. No this series is confounding because it require so many narrative canyon leaps in logic that it became interesting to watch in its own right.
For example, Haru doesn't want to reveal she got the first Black Rose Advance Warning Letter of Doom because people have lost their lives. This is actually a good bit of character development but it gets ruined because she just keeps it a secret even though Totaku has already cast her lot in with her. Withholding information now just gets everybody into rather predictable trouble. Indeed if she was harboring these feelings why does she not tell Totaku? The answer to these questions is boiling down to otherwise we wouldn't have a show/
It isn't like this program can't work but it takes a deft hand filled with grace not the club of brutality that keeps hitting.

Mononoke

Banned
Just started Nisekoi. I enjoyed the first episode. I know the Manga is still going, so I'm guessing this whole
romance with the key and lock
will drag on forever and ever. I think someone told me they keep
introducing new women, even at this point lol

Is it unrealistic to expect the Anime to deviate, and wrap up after one season? Or will this be multiple seasons lol. This is my first year watching Anime live, when the manga still isn't finished. Guess I should get used to it. Since I've been mostly catching up watching classic shows, I've been lucky enough to be able to watch completed stories. Now it's time to start waiting years like everyone. :p

Eusis

Other than one episode having a troll ending, I don't know if any of the small variations are actually worth watching though.

Pretty much. It's like watching a sports event a few years after the fact.
I kinda figure both are better at being background noise now than anything else too.

I have to imagine that it'd have also been better received with a season extended by 6-7 episodes. And how many volumes did they release Endless Eight across?

Just started Nisekoi. I enjoyed the first episode. I know the Manga is still going, so I'm guessing this whole
romance with the key and lock
will drag on forever and ever. I think someone told me they keep
introducing new women, even at this point lol

Is it unrealistic to expect the Anime to deviate, and wrap up after one season? Or will this be multiple seasons lol. This is my first year watching Anime live, when the manga still isn't finished. Guess I should get used to it. Since I've been mostly catching up watching classic shows, I've been lucky enough to be able to watch completed stories. Now it's time to start waiting years like everyone. :p

Yeah I started watching live shows like 3-4 seasons ago. It's definitely a different experience, but I still have a backlog. As to your comment, yes it drags on forever and no development ever occurs.

BluWacky

Nanana's Buried Treasure 2

The thing that certain people have been going gaga over is completely ridiculous and sums up all the worst things about this show. Why is
the maid a trap? Because it's a dreadful light novel, that's why - there is basically no other reason, it has no plot relevance other than another way to embarrass Juugo.

If only this show had actual human beings in it instead of a bunch of ridiculous caricatures spouting artificial dialogue to satisfy their one note personalities..

And yet... and yet...

The final third of the episode was, frankly, really rather entertaining. Just as with the first episode's pre-credits sequence, as soon as they get into some kind treasure hunting/puzzle solving, the show becomes enjoyable; it even made me smile!

Is it worth ignoring the 18 minutes or so of fan service and "hijinks" for 4 minutes of actual fun? I don't know. It seems I'll be watching again next week to find out.

Gbraga

Someone's Gaze had more development in 6 minutes than Nisekoi in its entire existence, so yeah, don't expect anything in that regard, just enjoy the ride until you get bored of it.

I fully expect to drop Nisekoi before it gets any resolution, even though I'm loving it so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kinda figure both are better at being background noise now than anything else too.

I have to imagine that it'd have also been better received with a season extended by 6-7 episodes. And how many volumes did they release Endless Eight across?
You know, I think the volumes sold well in Japan regardless, but I can't remember.

Not that I understand the appeal of the Superbowl, but I understand at least why people seem to be arbitrarily invested in it even if their city is not represented in the event. Endless Eight is similar in a "you had to be there" kind of way.

I didn't watch this week yet, but if the party is uncooperative there's nothing he can do. He isn't Jesus either. He doesn't roam the land preforming miracles. How much he can help people is often limited beyond guiding them down the path that causes the least damage.
I guess with this one in particular, it almost seemed as if the problem may have worked out even if he wasn't there. It's just an interesting approach, since you'd expect him to basically solve their problems by rationally explaining why they have been possessed in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom