• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I guess on the plus side, at least Wixoss shows incest as something socially unacceptable that leads to ostracism rather than something totally normal?

BU7sMlhl.jpg

Keep in mind that it's the show's antagonist that's taunting her for loving her brother.

The Count of Monte Cristo 6-10
Everyone is an asshole. The only ones that aren't assholes are Maximilian, Valetine and Eugenie and maybe that glasses kid and the grandpa.
And Albert isn't becoming smarter and still practically worships the Count which makes his growing assholeness worse.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I guess on the plus side, at least Wixoss shows incest as something socially unacceptable that leads to ostracism rather than something totally normal?
I'm pretty sure she's the one you're supposed to be rooting for.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Are you really gonna do this every week? :/

Every single week, because the people must know the truth.

Oh, Okadabot. You get what you pay for, certainly!

What does "until I drag your face" mean in that clip? Without sound I can't tell, obviously, what it's supposed to be - does it make sense in context?

That character, Akira, is a fashion model. Iona is a fellow model and fellow WIXOSS player who she apparently envies. Iona is hinted at the end of this episode to be even more psychotic than Akira, and Iona's LRIG (the female spirits inhabiting their special WIXOSS card) exhibits a gleeful bloodlust whereas all of the other LRIGs are relatively docile and agreeable. It's a good old fashioned Okadabot trainwreck in the making.

Midonin

Wixoss 3

Kind of interesting that something this bleak and dark is really just a cross promotion for an actual trading card game for girls.
A female writer creating a story of tragedy that's explicitly meant for marketing purposes. Like I said, this is giving me some major Kamen Rider Ryuki vibes.

Madoka Magica 12

All hail Madoka one hell of a Magical girl, that arrow shot was really good and it was awesome how Madoka destroyed that witch, nice animation. That moment with Sayaka and Madoka listening to Kyosuke play with his instrument produced some bittersweet feels, and it also made me sad for Sayaka on how she couldn't get what she wanted even though she deserved it. The moment with Madoka's brother remembering her name was and her mom to also made me feel a little depressed. And Homura you don good.
Oh yeah could you guys explain to me a little more on what happened in this episode with Kyouko and Mami talking about
Sayaka's death and how come they didn't die but she did and how Madoka affected the univers.

Overall

When people say this anime is unique and does something different out of its genre, I have to absolutely agree. Not only does it give you twists or dark themes, it makes you think that it's just a regular happy hello kitty adventure in the beginning but then it suddenly turns uphill into this psychological complexity of an anime where being a magical girl is not a territory that can be easily done with a simple mind. Their were moments where I truly felt sad and depressed for each girl character that had to go through hell like episode 3, Sayaka's moment, and etc which really struck me and made me sympathize with them. The battles were animated splendidly with its artistic environment and the music was also catchy in some of the battles.

My rating would be 9.5/10 on the way this anime does things and what a ride it was.

so_good.gif

BluWacky

Wixoss 3

Kind of interesting that something this bleak and dark is really just a cross promotion for an actual trading card game for girls.

Wait, WIXOSS the game is targeted at girls? I assumed this was all male otaku-targetted like usual, hence the all female cast. Where did you get that info from?

I swear there's a studio in Japan that reads AnimeGAF and is deliberately making those kinds of shows to piss us off.

Studio exec 1: So on to the next order of business. What anime do we make next?

Studio exec 2: Well here we have our top choice. We have an anime exploring the human psyche in a war, it'd be seinen and feature loads of interesting characters. Starring a multicultural family that is escaping the destruction of their city, it focuses on their feelings towards their country and each other as they witness horrors no man should see.

Studio exec 1: Wow that sounds fantastic. Let's go with th-

*door bursts open*

Intern: I have terrible news. Those people at AnimeGAF just said that our previous anime about incest was total shit and that Japan needs to stop pandering to such sick filth.

Studio exec 1: Those motherfuckers. Nobody tells us we're in it for the money. Somebody take out that 'My Little Sister is The Bringer of the Apocalypse But Why Does She Want To Shower with Me?" LN. We're making that now. Just to spite them.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
School Days 1

So I've fortunately (or unfortunately) have been around the internet long enough to know how this ends, but haven't actually watched the show. I imagine that's like seeing only the giant drop from the top of a rollercoaster without actually getting on the ride.

soccer-commentators.png

Well...I'm buckled the fuck in. No turning back, motherfucker.

Mushishi S2 3

Pretty standard Mushishi episode, but that's still pretty damn good.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka Magica 12

All hail Madoka one hell of a Magical girl, that arrow shot was really good and it was awesome how Madoka destroyed that witch, nice animation. That moment with Sayaka and Madoka listening to Kyosuke play with his instrument produced some bittersweet feels, and it also made me sad for Sayaka on how she couldn't get what she wanted even though she deserved it. The moment with Madoka's brother remembering her name was and her mom to also made me feel a little depressed. And Homura you don good.
Oh yeah could you guys explain to me a little more on what happened in this episode with Kyouko and Mami talking about
Sayaka's death and how come they didn't die but she did and how Madoka affected the univers.

Overall

When people say this anime is unique and does something different out of its genre, I have to absolutely agree. Not only does it give you twists or dark themes, it makes you think that it's just a regular happy hello kitty adventure in the beginning but then it suddenly turns uphill into this psychological complexity of an anime where being a magical girl is not a territory that can be easily done with a simple mind. Their were moments where I truly felt sad and depressed for each girl character that had to go through hell like episode 3, Sayaka's moment, and etc which really struck me and made me sympathize with them. The battles were animated splendidly with its artistic environment and the music was also catchy in some of the battles.

My rating would be 9.5/10 on the way this anime does things and what a ride it was.

so_good.gif

IT was a really fascinating show because of the depth of its characters despite being so short and yet the overall impact it made on not only the future of the genre, but also appealing to a very wide audience outside of just mahou shoujo. It was a perfect storm and as bit players in the creation of it were announced one by one people knew something special was coming and they werent disappointed. Gen Urobuchi himself is known for loathing happy stories and dragging his characters through hell seemingly for the pleasure of doing so. In this case it really worked towards giving the story a devastatingly human experience and Ume Aoki did a masterful job of disguising the whole thing with her adorable designs. Shaft just proved once again that they are gods.

CorvoSol

The Count of Monte Cristo 6-10
Everyone is an asshole. The only ones that aren't assholes are Maximilian, Valetine and Eugenie and maybe that glasses kid and the grandpa.
And Albert isn't becoming smarter and still practically worships the Count which makes his growing assholeness worse.

Albert get smarter? Tee hee.

Cajun tells me you all want to add a show to The List that isn't Samurai Flamenco.

yRnOeLD.gif

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 2 [Endless Eight Part 1]
Thoughts during episode:

- Yes Kyon just go with it!
- Animation certainly received a bump.
- Lol the losing baseball team.
- Kyon's sister needs to stop being so adorable.
- Haruhi, don't ever change.
- Lol this opening.
- The public pool. Hahahaha.
- "Ah the smell of chlorine..." Bwahahahahaha.
- Let's fan service all over this pool.
- Kyon's gonna lose all his money by the end of this summer vacation.
- Yukata. Can't have a festival without that.
- Hahaha. The mask Nagato chose.
- Kyon is having fun. Gasp!
- STARTO!
- I love seeing Kyon struggle at bug catching. Mikuru was having a hard time and that was pretty sad. But everyone else made it look easy.
- Really? Kyon ended up in second place.
- Alright you can be upset at that Kyon. That was one step too far for even Haruhi.
- Hahaha. Mikuru and Haruhi are cute in this stargazing scene.
- Did Kyon just make a Star Wars reference?
- Haruhi messing with Mikuru is the best. "Test of courage" hahaha.
- Haruhi enjoying the movie while everyone is asleep.
- That's a pretty eventful summer vacation.
- Yo Kyon. What about your summer homework?
- Heh I knew it.
- Lol Kyon and his sister playing games is hilarious to watch. Their expressions are priceless.
- This ED is gonna give me epilepsy.

Summary:

I liked this episode. A lot. I actually see nothing wrong with it. Of course I get the feeling this will go The Tatami Galaxy way of things in which case I may be inclined to agree with others. But for a stand alone episode it wasn't that bad. Although I question that, if it does get repetitive, there's no way it can get more repetitive then Tatami Galaxy. In which case it also makes me question why one would like Tatami Galaxy's structure and not Endless Eight's structure. I am getting ahead of myself though as I haven't even watched part two of endless eight but this will be in the back of my head as I watch this.

Nordicus

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 25

FUCK EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THIS ROTTEN TOWN! (with the exception of 3 people)

"Oh, we can return to our normal peaceful lives if we kill these 2 kids"

I could just feel my back muscles tightening, I wanted to hit someone so bad

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 26

Until the credits came, this show was going for the 2nd worst possible ending, then suddenly the 2 people who were presumed dead, but weren't quite, came back, dulling the impact.

It was a good enough season, it filled me with such fury at times but that's intentional, if not overly blunt. Like, you're trying too hard when a father character who's 100% "Thanks Obama" but in Japan, tries to get his daughter raped just to push a political agenda (not in these episodes, but that happened closer to mid-season)

cajunator

Banned
Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 25

FUCK EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THIS ROTTEN TOWN! (with the exception of 3 people)

"Oh, we can return to our normal peaceful lives if we kill these 2 kids"

I could just feel my back muscles tightening, I wanted to hit someone so bad

Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 26

Until the credits came, this show was going for the 2nd worst possible ending, then suddenly the 2 people who were presumed dead, but weren't quite, came back, dulling the impact.

It was a good enough season, it filled me with such fury at times but that's intentional, if not overly blunt. Like, you're trying too hard when a father character who's 100% "Thanks Obama" but in Japan, tries to get his daughter raped just to push a political agenda (not in these episodes, but that happened closer to mid-season)

Is this Hell Girl?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh well, I guess I'll have to catch up with it then since you're really gonna spoil all the best parts just to show how outraged you are.

If the "best part" of a show is ten seconds of conversation on incest, is this really something that you want to watch? Especially if you actually think that knowing an immediately-established character motivation in advance ruins the entire episode?

Gbraga

If the "best part" of a show is ten seconds of conversation on incest, is this really something that you want to watch? Especially if you actually think that knowing an immediately-established character motivation in advance ruins the entire episode?

Yes

I liked this episode. A lot. I actually see nothing wrong with it. Of course I get the feeling this will go The Tatami Galaxy way of things in which case I may be inclined to agree with others. But for a stand alone episode it wasn't that bad. Although I question that, if it does get repetitive, there's no way it can get more repetitive then Tatami Galaxy. In which case it also makes me question why one would like Tatami Galaxy's structure and not Endless Eight's structure. I am getting ahead of myself though as I haven't even watched part two of endless eight but this will be in the back of my head as I watch this.

Well, its real good that you liked the first one! Cuz guess whats commin'!

Wait, WIXOSS the game is targeted at girls? I assumed this was all male otaku-targetted like usual, hence the all female cast. Where did you get that info from?

Only saw it on tvtropes, so possibly inaccurate. On my phone at work now, so can't really search around for a more reputable source at the moment.

At least the episode preview and title seems to suggest in goes full on Okada mode next episode. Hopefully Twin finds out. But seriously can we get an explanation of the mechanics already.

BluWacky

A show can have an all girl cast and still appeal to girls.

Of course it can - although I'm hard pressed to think of a good example off the top of my head outside of pre-teen and idol shows. Have you watched WIXOSS? The girls are otaku fodder in terms of their personalities and melodrama, the cards even more so.

Shoujo/josei melodrama is of a very different beast to that in WIXOSS.

EDIT:

cosmicblizzard said:
Only saw it on tvtropes, so possibly inaccurate. On my phone at work now, so can't really search around for a more reputable source at the moment.

The TV Tropes comment is referring to the in-show comment that WIXOSS is weird because mostly girls play it (and of course, only girls can be Selectors because NO BOYS ALLOWED IN OTAKU ANIME). Not, as far as I'm aware, actual reality, where the opposite is probably the case!

I've only noticed how the one male main character is the super nice oblivious brother who doesn't realize his sister wants to bone him. So if an excuse for more otaku anime comments are necessary, it's the incest pandering.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Endless Eight only annoyed me when we hit the ninth episode because at that point the journey was well a truly over. I could have very well watched the Endless Eighty Eight.

School Days 1

So I've fortunately (or unfortunately) have been around the internet long enough to know how this ends, but haven't actually watched the show. I imagine that's like seeing only the giant drop from the top of a rollercoaster without actually getting on the ride.

Well...I'm buckled the fuck in. No turning back, motherfucker.

Please remain seated, and I hope you enjoy the ride.

jman2050

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 2 [Endless Eight Part 1]

It's not the same if you weren't there.

Really nowadays I'd anticipate more dismissive boredom as a reaction than actual irritation.
A couple of hours doesn't compare to eight weeks after all.

Mushishi 3
A sad and beautiful episode, with a restrained feel on it, with the characters talking low, very few music cues, it was visually haunting in the cold beauty of the snow. In fact all the piles of snow, the blizzard, the snow flakes, the cold water... all perfectly represented. I liked
how near the end the boy gained a bit more of tone in his voice when he was healed.

Jojo 3
This is more an exposition and setup episode to start the adventure, but it makes sense in what it surely will be a great epic tale. The final pose was a riot.

Ping Pong 2

Mmm so good. This is really more a psychological study of characters with the excuse of Ping Pong, and less a true sports series (but the sport itself is also faithfully represented!)
And they don't go slow and tease about it, but already explore deep one of the main characters.
Smile was bullied as a child (we can see why, if his personality was the same before...), and Peco saved him, both literally (opening the locker where he was trapped) and figuratively through his friendship. That extrovert personality is like a shining beacon for Smile, as it's just what he would desire to have, though I suspect we will see that is more fragile than we observe now.
It was curious how, when he was locked, he took refugee even more in his inner shell ("I want to be here", "it's peaceful") and when he transforms and power ups, he accentuates his robot personality transforming more in a robot.

Nanananadropped.

Dropped.

It's not the same if you weren't there.

Really nowadays I'd anticipate more dismissive boredom as a reaction than actual irritation.
A couple of hours doesn't compare to eight weeks after all.

I have a question actually.... Did people see it coming on the first episode or even the second episode? Because I only just started and I like it but I can definitely see some getting irritated depending on how repetitious it is.

Again I am getting ahead of myself as I haven't even started Part 2 yet. I am sure I can solidify a better opinion after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom