• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally back home from my Japan trip.

Here's what I bought:

I also got a grab bag of anime cels/sketches for 500 JPY:

I got it because I could see the You're Under Arrest cel. Feel free to tell me what animes the other ones are from :p

I am uber jealous of you right now. I see a lot of Key stuff there. And I see what I think is a Clannad soundtrack. Yup. I am definitely jealous. I hope you had a lot of fun!

Vecks

Just started Nisekoi. I enjoyed the first episode. I know the Manga is still going, so I'm guessing this whole
romance with the key and lock
will drag on forever and ever. I think someone told me they keep
introducing new women, even at this point lol

Is it unrealistic to expect the Anime to deviate, and wrap up after one season? Or will this be multiple seasons lol. This is my first year watching Anime live, when the manga still isn't finished. Guess I should get used to it. Since I've been mostly catching up watching classic shows, I've been lucky enough to be able to watch completed stories. Now it's time to start waiting years like everyone. :p

It's not unrealistic. It's always a possibility for them to just do an anime original ending. I personally think they'll do more seasons though, but maybe do like a season a year.

This. There's a couple of folks here who actually liked it, but they were watching the show as it was broadcasting. Most people seem to give off the vibe that if they were watching it as backlog, they would've skipped a lot of episodes.

You literally won't get anything out of watching it all. There's no secret club of "I watched all of Endless Eight" where all the ladies swoon as you pass by. It's just a cold disappointment and a general waste of time.

if you're watching it for Haruhi's antics, then fuck maybe you'll enjoy it. And that's a maybe. Keep watching I guess

Technically the only ones you "need" to watch are the first, last, and the one
where they first figure out the loop. It certainly could have been tons better if they had put in a few more subtle changes beyond just the same scenes from different angles.

Link Man

Banned
Soul Eater NOT! 1

ibwVcy6qRkj2kB.jpg

Well, this is starting out painful.

Okay, this is insulting. "Commaries"?

It felt like there was no energy in this episode, like it lacked any sort of soul. It seems like it just serves the purpose of yuri pandering, without any humor or character to supplement it.

Jarmel

Banned
Mushishi-3

Probably the strongest episode yet visually but also the weakest on a thematic and writing level. Yea there was some bullshit with the Mushi this episode.

So guys do kinda dislike Hitomi from Madoka Magica considering what she did to Sayaka because I thought that was a bitch move, while she knew how deeply Sayaka cared for Kyosuke.

Lower right is Kumi Mashiba from Hajime no Ippo

Cool. 3 of the bags had more than 1 cel/sketch in them and the other 2 showed the sketches on the other side:

I am uber jealous of you right now. I see a lot of Key stuff there. And I see what I think is a Clannad soundtrack. Yup. I am definitely jealous. I hope you had a lot of fun!

Yeah. That's the Clannad soundtrack. Only 2500 JPY!

One of the Kanon things is the Blu-Ray box set. I saw both the Clannad and Clannad After Story Blu-Ray box sets too, but I couldn't buy everything:

And, yes, that's the price I paid for the Kanon Blu-Ray box set...

Jex

So, a legit question about Mushishi. Is Ginko pretty much a David Attenborough type in that he simply observes and documents nature but doesn't seem himself as an active agent whenever mushi get involved with humanity? Like, he's willing to offer advice, but based on the three episodes this season, he doesn't seem to feel the need to actually help. It seems to be about letting the people make their own mistakes and leaving it up to them to figure out how to solve their own problems by themselves.
No, but his level of involvement differs from situation to situation and he often intervenes directly, he just understands that you can't magically solve the problems in peoples lives.

The TV Tropes comment is referring to the in-show comment that WIXOSS is weird because mostly girls play it (and of course, only girls can be Selectors because NO BOYS ALLOWED IN OTAKU ANIME). Not, as far as I'm aware, actual reality, where the opposite is probably the case!

Think you might be looking at a different comment. I'm talking about this, which seems to imply the series itself was made for that purpose.

Darker and Edgier: The darkest and edgiest card game anime yet of all. And yet this was made to attract females to play trading card games.

That being said, they could be pulling it out of their ass. It is TVtropes after all.

Scrapped Princess 5

This has been non-stop fantasy entertainment. The characters have been great so far. I can't stress enough how much I'm enjoying this. The two siblings are badasses.

So, a legit question about Mushishi. Is Ginko pretty much a David Attenborough type in that he simply observes and documents nature but doesn't seem himself as an active agent whenever mushi get involved with humanity? Like, he's willing to offer advice, but based on the three episodes this season, he doesn't seem to feel the need to actually help. It seems to be about letting the people make their own mistakes and leaving it up to them to figure out how to solve their own problems by themselves.

He is a proper Mushi-doctor. Or at least mushi-pharmacologist. It just happens that for now he only had to give wisdom, but in the next ones maybe he will have to be more active.

Oh yeah, I forgot to complain about one thing of Mushishi 3. So much to comment the snow, and forgot this important thing

How the hell did he not drown in the lake. I'm supposing that the mushi which infected him had by pure luck a side effect of making him without need of breathing, but you know, it's never commented by anyone in the episode and it was too much of a coincidence. And hell, if Ginko said the truth and the cold was affecting him even if he didn't feel it, he should be dead just because pure hypothermia. Not missing a few fingers, but dead dead dead, instead.

Damn emotions, numbing my mind!

Also, watch S1 already.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh yeah, I forgot to complain about one thing of Mushishi 3. So much to comment the snow, and forgot this important thing

How the hell did he not drown in the lake. I'm supposing that the mushi which infected him had by pure luck a side effect of making him without need of breathing, but you know, it's never commented by anyone in the episode and it was too much of a coincidence. And hell, if Ginko said the truth and the cold was affecting him even if he didn't feel it, he should be dead just because pure hypothermia. Not missing a few fingers, but dead dead dead, instead.

Yea, that was straight bullshit.

Link Man

Banned
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 5

I really don't know what to say about this. I guess maybe we're getting some character development?

Yonafunu

I know this is late as fuck but I wanted to do it so here

Yonafunu's stand is Prone Free, capable of punching anything! Rank: F

I don't know if this is a good thing. I guess if it can punch anything...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
People are mad about it? I...........what?
Just because people think something is bad or doesn't fit doesn't mean they're actually upset. To me the shift from 70's rock to a heavily commercialized and gimmicky 80's song is less appealing, and the new ED probably doesn't have as much potential for the show to bleed into it before the credit roll.

He gets as involved as the situation requires him to, but he also doesn't do anything without the permission of the person(s)
involved.

Also if this means you never watched season one, then WTF are you doing?! Its like the definition of :firehawk!

Yeah. That's the Clannad soundtrack. Only 2500 JPY!

One of the Kanon things is the Blu-Ray box set. I saw both the Clannad and Clannad After Story Blu-Ray box sets too, but I couldn't buy everything:

And, yes, that's the price I paid for the Kanon Blu-Ray box set...

Awwww. If I was in your shoes I would've got Clannad but I know your a bigger fan of Kanon then I am.

They did better songs (they perform the ED under an alias that they use for their less serious songs but that's the same band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoyOjMIunkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toR7LIGVj0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaF-bWeLGw

haha I love that you instantly knew who I was talking about and from what show. I guess there aren't many old school punk sounding ED's though.

Scrapped Princess 6
HsmCBlp.jpg

Ugh. This episode. It was amazing. Shannon continues to be my favorite character, what an absolute badass, and a great brother.

Leon's character also got a lot of depth added to him, he no longer was derping but actually got serious and thoughtful. His resolve at the end was great, and even I admit he looked very manly.

Also I've said it in each review, but these make amazing leads
erBlvQu.jpg

If people want a show with a strong female lead, watch this. She's great. Even if they did make her the 'loving older sister' archetype, she still is fantastic.

Articalys

Work ended early today, so I got a chance to get home sooner than usual.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders ep.3

Another awesome episode. They're really taking it nice and easy with the pacing, but that just means the manga's style gets to stand out (no pun intended) all the greater.
I was hoping I'd be able to keep the ending song unknown for myself before I had a chance to see the episode, but I ended up accidentally seeing what it was anyway via Twitter. No huge loss, though; it's a pretty good choice anyway, even if most people were hoping for something from Dio.

Mushishi Zoku Shou ep.3

;_;
It almost feels like there's no point to writing weekly Mushishi impressions. The entire series is just so masterfully constructed that it would just be the same praise again and again.

---------------------------------

Now, time to go catch up on the thread again!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He gets as involved as the situation requires him to, but he also doesn't do anything without the permission of the person(s)
involved.

Also if this means you never watched season one, then WTF are you doing?! Its like the definition of :firehawk!

He is a proper Mushi-doctor. Or at least mushi-pharmacologist. It just happens that for now he only had to give wisdom, but in the next ones maybe he will have to be more active.

Also, watch S1 already.
Fair enough.

Also, S1 is in the infinite backlog, wistfully disappearing like the sun setting in a sky laden with cherry blossoms.

Even in Ojamajo Doremi where they have the ability to cast more than RPG-type spells it couldn't solve everything.
I just remember that SatoJun
cancer
episode!

To be fair the character is voiced by a man. But I just have this mental image of the awkwardly exploring her sexuality DTL, which she does by writing slash fics of her with many boys, and their butts. All of those butts.

cnet128

Banned
They did better songs (they perform the ED under an alias that they use for their less serious songs but that's the same band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoyOjMIunkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toR7LIGVj0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaF-bWeLGw

Wait, wait, wait, hold the phone. Majin Bone has an ending theme by Radwimps?! (Well, Misoshiru's, but same difference =p)

How did I not know this. They're only like my favourite band of all time, and as far as I know they've never done an anime theme before! Now I almost feel guilty for not watching that show. Not guilty enough to actually watch it, but you know. It hurts my soul.

Andrew J.

Non Non Biyori 12 FINAL

When Branduil described this scene as Hotarun "eating Komari's burnt garbage" I pictured her going through her family's incinerator like a creepy stalker, not politely eating some poorly cooked food. See if I ever fall for his attempts at character assassination again.

This was a thoroughly charming slice of life show, aside from Komari and Natsumi being dumb and annoying sometimes. Highly recommended.

Character rankings:

Renge>Candy Store>Hotarun>Kazu-nee>Konomi>Hikage>Komari>Natsumi.

(Am I forgetting someone? ...Nah.)

Branduil

Non Non Biyori 12 FINAL

When Branduil described this scene as Hotarun "eating Komari's burnt garbage" I pictured her going through her family's incinerator like a creepy stalker, not politely eating some poorly cooked food. See if I ever fall for his attempts at character assassination again.

Her character would basically be the same either way. She just doesn't have to progress to that stage yet since Komari is too dense to realize what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom