• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Wish I could say something regarding the Ping Pong discussion but I'd be full of shit. I love Ping Pong's artstyle (and by extension Matsumoto's) but there are several series out there that I'm not interested in watching due to how I don't like how they look visually. I'm sure they're fantastic and well received anime but for a visual medium, my personal preferences play pretty heavily into these kind of things for better or worse.

Trigger will have killed anime with their LN adaptation by then.

29bS3DB.jpg

zeroshiki

There I will have to disagree with you, as I don't think Matsumoto's manga has bad art, and I find the character designs rather realistic, especially for anime/manga. It's a stylized realism to be sure, but looking at these characters I find it believable that they could be drawn from real Japanese (or Chinese) people.

I'm not a fan of the ugly faces, terrible posture and flexible limbs style. It doesn't look realistic and just makes everything look grimy. The characters look like they're all 40, degenerated after smoking 2-packs of cigarettes everyday for the last 30 years.

The scene with Smile visiting the Ping Pong store, I thought he was supposed to be the older brother of Peco or something and was confused as fuck at the conversation with the old woman. I only realized he was the same guy when he told Peco to come to school >_>

I realize, after seeing the reactions here, that some people appreciate the look but I really don't.

Then there's really no conversation to be had.

Zeppeli

Banned
50 First Dates One Week Friends Episode 3

She's up to something. I don't think she really has any memory loss. Hase's friend is probably right.

Kingdom 2 Episode 32
Bly0PRMIQAEnzLt.png

Best episode of the season thus far, intense because Xin and Lian Po
enduring every single blow and almost trying to strike back while weak. I thought Xin would get the upper hand and win but I guess its too early in his life to take on true general like these? Meng too even. Most surprise that this is the end of the battle with Lian Po leaving, surprised he isnt the type to stay and fight to the end.

I want Japan to make a realistic sports show where no matter how hard the Japanese team tries, the foreign teams always beat them. Except in baseball I guess, where they duke it out against Venezuela and the US

edit: that's like the fourth 'based X' I've read today. Jesus guys.

fertygo

All the direction in the world is not enough if the show is not visually appealing enough to attract viewers at first glance.

The K-On manga has really bad art too. No one put a gun to Yuasa's head and told him all his characters needed to looks like they were from Xenu and not Earth.

I've never had a problem with Yuasa shows until now. It just looks weird and unappealing to me. It could be the style or it could be the lack of polish.
Talking about subjectivity and K-ON I still don't like its character design.. its looked quite bad for me despite the polish, the original character design just too hard to overcome IMO, that's pretty subjective of course beside K-ON its obviously pretty show by technical standard.

That's apply for Ping Pong too, you may despise the style but its not an chicken scratch, but the art direction is clearly there with nice framing and all that thing, its not bad in technical standard, let say compared to this.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I want Japan to make a realistic sports show where no matter how hard the Japanese team tries, the foreign teams always beat them. Except in baseball I guess, where they duke it out against Venezuela and the US

You should watch Major.

Japan loses to the USA in the final of the Baseball World Cup.

U S A

U S A

U S A

Detective Conan 301-302:
The police focused cases are almost always good, and this one is no different. The introduction of Satou's past with Matsuda is also really important, and a good setup for one of my favorite cases that I'll get to watch in animated form in a couple of episodes. The scene with Takagi and Satou at the end was fairly sad while also having some great comedic moments for them. The turn in Satou's expression as he goes from talking about various unimportant losses in her life to bringing up Matsuda as a reason why she shouldn't be with Takagi really hits home. I think mixing in those more comedic bits really made the scene feel more genuine.

The case itself is interesting because of how much it eschews typical Conan format. There are no real suspects and the case is largely about figuring out why the culprit tried to get rid of the tape and what their motives are. Shiratori and Megure coming out in disguise at the post office was a pretty good moment, too.

fertygo

Look at Major, the protag and japan scoring all kind of jobber in that show.
You should watch Major.

U S A

U S A

U S A

big time choke too.

cajunator

Banned
Talking about subjectivity and K-ON I still don't like its character design.. its looked quite bad for me despite the polish, the original character design just too hard to overcome IMO, that's pretty subjective of course beside K-ON its obviously pretty show by technical standard.

That's apply for Ping Pong too, you may despise the style but its not an chicken scratch, but the art direction is clearly there with nice framing and all that thing, its not bad in technical standard, let say compared to this.

All that matters is that Inaban looks amazingly cute.

Zeppeli

Banned
Mekakucity Actors Episode 2

ZZZ. Don't spend the first 6 or 7 episodes explaining a different character's backstory. It gets very tiring, very fast. Going to drop this series until everyone is introduced and marathon the episodes when they're out

No way. The real world just doesn't fully account for the power of Japanese fighting spirit.
Your spirit is the spirit that shall pierce the goal l-

Oh shit we lost. Apparently we also need skill and natural talent.

You should watch Major.

U S A

U S A

U S A

Look at Major, the protag and japan scoring all kind of jobber in that show.

big time choke too.

Looks like I'm got'dang adding Major to my list

CMen7JU.gif

Hidamari Sketch 8

Fuck the sports festival, THATS WHY IT ISN'T HERE! (I feel like I skipped something).

I'm not sure how I feel about them jumping off a balcony though.

Hidamari Sketch 8

Fuck the sports festival, THATS WHY IT ISN'T HERE! (I feel like I skipped something).

I'm not sure how I feel about them jumping off a balcony though.
They like to jump around a lot chronologically, the very first chapters of the manga aren't even adapted until x365.

I was kinda disappointed when later seasons became strictly chronological.
With not many remaining chapters left, especially during Honeycomb I imagine they didn't have much choice. Though I do wish the chapter where Yuno's class sketches a nude model was adapted, for reasons.

Zeppeli

Banned
Captain Earth has plateaued in what to expect for action now, hasn't it? Is the rest of the series just going to be character development with
the two girls and the one guy falling in love with Daichi?

I read the new Berserk after the freaking hiatus thinking "he's finally going to get off the boat"

and then it focuses on the other characters.

And now it'll probably focus on them for like the next couple of months.

I can't hold back the tears. He deliberately wants to break my heart. I know it.

Gundam Build Fighters - 2

Haha, what the hell happened at the end? Like seriously, Sei and Reiji have this little heart-to-heart on how they're going to build the strongest Gundam and then....WOOSH.

Wait a second. A show where the main characters are two guys who become best friends have a heart-to-heart moment only for something random to happen immediately after that moment. Funny. I sort of remember this sort of thing happening before...nah, that's got nothing to do with this.

Gazoinks

Mekaku City Actors 2

I still have absolutely no idea what's going on, but it's pretty entertaining in its deluge of SHAFT. Guess we're being introduced to everyone. Is this only one cour? If they keep up the introductions I'm not sure how much room they'll have for an actual story.

New character was still pretty tropey, but I think I liked her more than the last guy as I'm tired of NEET protagonists!

Syrinx

And Yet The Town Moves 11

I liked the first part with Hotori's dad walking Josephine talking about how much he likes the quiet of the shopping district at night only to have it shown several times that it wasn't very quiet at all. Typhoon preparations are a bitch, I suppose. Generally all of the parts of this episode that involved Josephine were good. Also Hotori is a total mooch. Really made herself at home at Kon's place. Like how Kon doesn't take shit.

Captain Earth has plateaued in what to expect for action now, hasn't it? Is the rest of the series just going to be character development with
the two girls and the one guy falling in love with Daichi?

It's made by Star Driver guy, if it doesn't have romance I'll be surprised. Especially since they've already paired off the characters in the OP and ED. And hopefully no more "IT'S HARD TO LOVE TWO BOYS AT THE SAME TIME" drama.

I'm not a fan of the ugly faces, terrible posture and flexible limbs style. It doesn't look realistic and just makes everything look grimy. The characters look like they're all 40, degenerated after smoking 2-packs of cigarettes everyday for the last 30 years.

The scene with Smile visiting the Ping Pong store, I thought he was supposed to be the older brother of Peco or something and was confused as fuck at the conversation with the old woman. I only realized he was the same guy when he told Peco to come to school >_>

I realize, after seeing the reactions here, that some people appreciate the look but I really don't.

Then there's really no conversation to be had.

It's alright man. Art, art styles and animation is all subjective. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

People here always make fun of Psycho-Pass, Clannad and Angel Beats art all the time but that's their opinion and taste. At that point there really isn't any conversation to be had. Just like if we were to say that we don't like the style employed in Ping Pong. No one can really attack us for that. Some styles and animation just don't work with everyone.

The real sign of a person willing to see the good in something is to look past what one may see as faults and really find what others like about it. I am going to guess people like Ping Pong for more than just it's art style. Otherwise this really is just a shallow debate.

For instance, I hated Baka & Test's art style at first and didn't watch the show because of it. After getting past my own preconceived notions on the show I ended up loving the show. I've meet many people who didn't want to watch Death Note, Clannad and multiple other shows because of art. True you may not enjoy the show as much as others because of the art but that would be a pretty shallow reason to hate the show.

Personally I don't like Ping Pong for several reasons beyond its art style. I personally don't like sports anime. First episode did a bad job at drawing me in. I didn't care a lot about the characters and yes I didn't particularly love the art. Art is just one facet to an anime. If people drop an anime for one thing it does wrong then they are shallow.

:)

wonzo

Banned

Tetsuwan Girl

zeroshiki

zeroshiki, why you hate Yuasa. :(

I loved the Tatami Galaxy.

Personally I don't like Ping Pong for several reasons beyond its art style. I personally don't like sports anime. First episode did a bad job at drawing me in. I didn't care a lot about the characters and yes I didn't particularly love the art. Art is just one facet to an anime. If people drop an anime for one thing it does wrong then they are shallow.

Looking past the art, I like sports anime in general but I disliked both protagonists in this show. I like the Chinese dude though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom