• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Could one argue there is need of a topical list of anime one should see (or at least a few episodes of) to understand what people are currently talking about, especially when humour often derives from this. Obviously I'm not the best person to comment on this since any joke about a studio goes over my head. However a list like this would need to be constantly evolving to keep up with topic trends.

True Detective
Gravity
Frozen
Scooby-Doo Wrestlemania
Garzey's Wing

Let me know if I left anything off.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wolf's Children
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
FLCL
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Urusei Yatsura (Episodes 1 - 106) + Beautiful Dreamer
Maison Ikkoku
Legend of the Galactic Heroes*
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ghost in Shell Stand Alone Complex (Both Seasons)
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Sailor Moon - Select Episodes due to length
Kaiji
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Honey and Clover + Season II
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Saving for future reference. Some I've seen, but there's a lot I haven't. Millennium Actress and Utena are likely to be watched very soon in particular.

Detective Conan 292:
I love it whenever this series gets really spooky and atmospheric, which this case has a lot of. Fortunately, Ran and Kazuha aren't being too annoying about freaking out over 'ghosts' or other nonsense, either, which is very nice. Part of what makes this case stand out is that despite hitting on a lot of common Detective Conan story ideas, the main structure of the case is a little different with a lot of the attention having been on discussing past events and exploring the area, with only a few real clues having been discovered through two episodes. So it's a little different than the normal 'find a bunch of clues in the second episode and then Conan/Heiji/whoever figure out who the killer was right then' format. I really didn't remember anything about this case from the manga, so I'm looking forward to seeing the final episode of it.

Movies

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whispers of the Heart
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Maison Ikkoku
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Baccano!
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Haven't finished those. Good chunk of them I dropped while others I haven't gotten around to starting.

Do I win?

Daimidaler 2
CHICHI WO MOGE: The Anime

Black Bullet 2
It still has lolis and a psycho man with a mask. That's fine by me. An okay anime, I'm enjoying it so far.

Gintama Some Episodes
Sorry, I forgot the episode numbers. But it was the "Monkey Hunter" Arc. JESUS. I almost died laughing at how stupid this arc was.

The epic music at the end when Gintoki uses his
dick screwdriver to destroy the alien ship
was a work of art.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UPDATE - Full list with an explanation for each choice so you can tell me how wrong I am available here http://baoh.tumblr.com/

This is all firehawk12's fault. Don't blame me!

Really. This is a terrible, awful idea, but I've written a list and I'm posting on the internet. I'm so sorry.

As someone of you are no doubt aware, firehawk12 has committed the great sin of failing to watch both Revolutionary Girl Utena and Cowboy Bebop. His shameful failure to remove these titles from his backlog got me thinking about what anime I'd consider to be "must watch" material.

No Aria makes this a bad list that's bad!

Theonik

Movies
Patlabor 1/2

OVA's

TV
Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Cowboy Bebop
Maison Ikkoku
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
Monster
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl
These are the ones I haven't see out of these. I already have the ones from this list I care about seeing on my list though and some, like Bebop and Dirty Pair I've seen about half of.

JoeFu

Banned
Ok using my PS3 on my plasma TV is making the viewing of SD content acceptable. Really enjoying And Yet the Town Moves.

Neck breaker forever confirmed to be non lethal.

BlUnkPlCIAAP96z.jpg

season 2 confirmed. Was season 1 good?

One of the best anime shows of last year.

And Yay, Sensei! S2 should end with the best possible ending.

Shengar

I can't believe Gintoki is #8.

But the real tragedy is that Otae ranked higher than Tsuki or Sa-chan. Japan can't even pick waifus right.

From the comment they said that Gintoki isn't included in the poll. It's actually Sorachi that in the 8th place.

Narag

It was a 360 degrees screen 3D movie. And, yeah, I decided to watch it just for you AnimeGAF :p

Looked like something somebody made in Blender 3D or similar. It was about a pervert who stole some panties from a catgirl school.

Catgirl school sounds like high art

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also for the list I really think Touch belongs there.

Besides being one of the most popular series ever created, its the magnum opus of Adachi who is a god damn genius. I think its miles ahead of Maison Ikkoku and other shows of that ilk from the 80s and is a definite must watch for any anime fan.

And the wrong Yuasa show is up there. I do think Tatami Galaxy is his best work on every level, but thats just personal preference.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was a 360 degrees screen 3D movie. And, yeah, I decided to watch it just for you AnimeGAF :p

Looked like something somebody made in Blender 3D or similar. It was about a pervert who stole some panties from a catgirl school.

I see Gravity has already been topped.

Shengar

Goddamnit, I just realized that the balloon poll it's directed to Sorachi's name on the left bottom of the page, so it's not Sorachi place his name in front of Gintoki or something like that. Sorachi, you really a goddamn troll.
Literally disgusted at Tsuki not being the highest ranked girl.

What is wrong with Japan?

What's wrong with Japan? Baccano S2?
What's wrong with Japan.

I'm still bitter about this because craps keep getting S2. Can't they pull a Big O with Baccano! ? :(

Gazoinks

Movies

Porco Rosso
Ghost in the Shell
Patlabor 1/2
Millennium Actress
Akira
Wings of Honneamise
5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

Giant Robo

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Maison Ikkoku
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Kaiji
Gankatsuou
Denno Coil
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunsliger Girl

Good list right here! I need to finish Lain.

LayLa

Almost every episode of Gintama is worth watching, although many people saying its just started to hit the stride from eps 25, the consensus agree Gintama isn't a show that only have few select episode that worth to watch.

oh ok definitely going to put it on the backburner then, i'm watching LOGH so don't have room for watching lots of episodes of a long running show.

Time Out have published a Top 100 animated films, based on polling "over 100 experts in the field"
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-100-best-animated-movies

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Let's be honest here. It's a list of bad / shocking anime. As much, it can be said that a few of the list are less "super bad" and more "super troll to the viewers".
I understand that you don't appreciate what the List is going for, but it was written from a certain perspective and for a certain sort of audience. I know a lot of people aren't into it, and even among those who are have their own specific limitations. I have a friend who thoroughly enjoyed himself watching most items on the list but couldn't take more than one episode of Yami.

As such, the dynamic that occurred for Geass R2 is essentially the same as the dynamic for other such shows. Yes, it had more to offer early on, but I'd also argue that makes for a harsher bait and switch. If you're simply being indignant, though, then I really don't care. If we really wanted to list truly horrible anime, then we'd actually list stuff that makes you want to kill yourself, not potentially chuckle or laugh in amusement. Such titles have been gracefully withheld.

Movies

5 Centimetres Per Second
Sword of the Stranger

OVA's

TV

Anne of Green Gables
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (in progress)
Mononoke
The Flowers of Evil
Gintama
Kemonozume
Kaiba
To a certain extent I suspect that my longtime interaction with the author of this list has caused our exposure to anime to overlap greatly.

Nordicus

oh ok definitely going to put it on the backburner then, i'm watching LOGH so don't have room for watching lots of episodes of a long running show.
I'll say this as someone who started watching Gintama only recently. At episode 8 it started getting decently funny, and at 25? Fucking. Hysterical.

BluWacky

Time Out have published a Top 100 animated films, based on polling "over 100 experts in the field"

Lots of films I've never heard of to try out - thanks for the link!

From an anime perspective it would have been nice to see Wolf Children on there as I think that certainly stands toe-to-toe with many of the other anime entrants on there, but I don't think that's a terrible list by any means.

JCG

As such, the dynamic that occurred for Geass R2 is essentially the same as the dynamic for other such shows. Yes, it had more to offer early on, but I'd also argue that makes for a harsher bait and switch.

Conversely, it can also be argued that there's more to offer at the end. Even among the people who feel disappointed with how the second season went, which covers a diverse range of opinions since not everyone automatically dismisses all of it, many are still legitimately satisfied with the conclusion and how it works for the story as a whole. "Fuck most of R2, but at least the ending is great" isn't an uncommon point of view, even if it's not universal either.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Conversely, it can also be argued that there's more to offer at the end. Even among the people who feel disappointed with how the second season went, which covers a diverse range of opinions since not everyone automatically dismisses all of it, many are still legitimately satisfied with the conclusion and how it works for the story as a whole. "Fuck most of R2, but at least the ending is great" isn't an uncommon point of view, even if it's not universal either.
Well, my position is that you don't discard that stuff, but celebrate it.

sonicmj1

There's a lot of interesting lesser-known Western stuff on there that I'd love to see at some point.

It sounds like they formed the list by polling a lot of presumably Western animators, and it definitely shows in what anime films made the cut. If it wasn't Ghibli (Akira excepted), it didn't crack the top 70, and those films consisted of Satoshi Kon's work (Paprika ranking highest?!) and the GitS movies. I'd love to see Hosoda's work, or Wings of Honneamise, get recognition, but they're so obscure outside of the anime community. They're more likely to come into contact with little-known Western animated films like Fantastic Planet or Allegro Non Troppo.

Edit: I forgot that Mind Game and End of Eva both also made the top 100.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Castle of Cagliostro
Whispers of the Heart
Patlabor 1/2

Giant Robo

Anne of Green Gables
Rose of Versailles
Mushi-Shi
Dirty Pair
Ojamajo doremi
Kaiji
Gankatsuou
Gintama
Kemonozume
Monster
Gunsliger Girl

Is my power level over 9000 yet?

As such, the dynamic that occurred for Geass R2 is essentially the same as the dynamic for other such shows. Yes, it had more to offer early on, but I'd also argue that makes for a harsher bait and switch.

Ehh. It's a harsh bait and switch because CG also had very good, entertaining parts, so when it falls, it a harder pill to swallow.
That's different from being directly bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom