• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
I wanted too but I'm lazy.

My concept for the thread was nothing but gifs with one of them linking to the wiki.

No fancy subtitles, just "Garden of Words, by Makoto Shinkai".

Stop being lazy and do it. I don't have that many gifs from the movie, I want to save the ones you were gonna post.

CRIME EDGE - 07

Was that episode a call before the storm ? because it sure felt like one.

Also sister bonds are a thing of beauty , indeed.

Kaiba's an enormous dick, and getting cards the easy way simply denies him the gratification of being an enormous dick to everyone around him.

If only he was a dick on the level of Dio, perhaps I could get some enjoyment out of him.

(and yes, there are one-of-a-kind TCG cards, even in Yu-Gi-Oh!. They're typically tournament prizes.)

This seems like a crazy scene. Also seems like that would be an unfair advantage, depending on what kind of card is awarded, but I guess the thought is that they've earned that advantage.

Perhaps a third of the season's episodes are Duel Monsters. Granted, I'll give you that Duel Monsters is represented horribly in S0, and I suppose its presence held extra interest for me as I've seen all of Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters and played the game extensively in my teenage years; for that reason seeing it in a prototypical form was actually kind of neat. Furthermore, the "make shit up as you go along" aspect of Duel Monsters in S0 is reminiscent of early Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters, which I always found to be comical rather than frustrating in its total absence of rules and logic. I can entirely understand how it's entirely unappealing for someone who has no history with the franchise, of course.

As I see it, there's two ways the show could take the Duel Monsters concept that would appeal to me. First, it could introduce actual strategy so that the duels become battles of wits instead of "I'll just pull out whatever card I need for this situation." Second, it could increase the ridiculousness to a melodramatic fever pitch. It made a move in that direction when it used physical representations of the card monsters battling it out with each other, but their fights were bland and lacking energy.

The idea of the show is something I can get behind, but the execution is so mediocre in general that I find it difficult to be engaged and not feel like watching it is a waste of my time.

Well since Fate/Stay Night Reproduction isn't worth watching, what about Fate/Prototype? I've always been curious about checking it out but never really heard anyone talk about it. I guess there's not much to say since it's a short, but does it have any merit?

It makes you wish what could have been.

zeroshiki

Hyouka 21:

I've put this off for awhile, but I really don't want this show to be over. I just love it so much, and I want to keep knowing that there's something more for me to watch, but I guess all good things come to an end eventually.

The awful feeling of knowing that there are NO LIGHT NOVEL VOLUMES left.

Syrinx

Hidamari Sketch 8

Sae's a pretty awful writer. Ever hear of "Show, don't tell"? I guess its one of those things middle schoolers read.

This show's kinda boring, but its alright for nights like tonight where I have a mild stomach ache and just want something simple to occupy my time. A time passer. Something to help relax. I'm not a huge fan, but it has its purpose.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh man this is pure gold, but yeah you didn't miss anything. I ditched individual episode impressions so I could blitz through the rest of the show. Was this a mistake? I think only a handful of my episodic impressions had anything remotely interesting to say. I was going to watch the movie after rewatching episode 8, supposedly it's something worth while after finishing the show?
Rewatching the entire show is worthwhile, because
you can now see the real Anthy in every scene she's in. Also all that symbolism that might not have made sense the first time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Henneko 8

Steel King still Steel King, I see.

And I don't know what the fuck with the rabbit.

Hidamari Sketch 8

This show's kinda boring, but its alright for nights like tonight where I have a mild stomach ache and just want something simple to occupy my time. A time passer. Something to help relax. I'm not a huge fan, but it has its purpose.

Hidamari Sketch is one of the better shows of its kind, but it's the sort of thing you have to be the right kind of person and be in the right kind of mood to appreciate.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rabbits can be one of two things. Extremely cute or extremely scary.
Considering the show in question and that I havent seen that particular episode yet Im going with cute.

Oh man. You don't know what you're in for.

Like I said in my impressions, "off-the-rails crazy".

Thoraxes

Of course! Don't want to miss out on dramatic lunch planning!
You weren't expecting any outrage over the chairman banging the "middle schooler" were you? If anything It's a much better implied sex scene than the one in Eva between two consenting adults.

I was hoping you did! I just needed to know if you liked the salmon and asparagus sandwiches is all!

Also, very true.

Tamerlane

Banned
I am woefully underwatched when it comes to continental European directors, so I can't match your comparative analysis there. But I'm not saying it's as good as Au Hasard Balthazar, or whatever. I just think it works on its own terms. It's not an exploration of faith so much as it's an exploration of the absence of faith. It's a peak into the mindset of someone who used to believe in God but for whom the church's symbols have been emptied of meaning and become empty forms, hollow rituals. It's a lament of someone who wishes he could still have faith but finds himself unable to conjure up any. I can respect that, even if I can't exactly sympathize and prefer works with at least a little bit of hope somewhere.

Fair enough. People's reactions to stuff like this usually depend on their background, personal perspective and so on. I can see why someone would feel it to be emotionally resonant. However, basically any artist dealing with religion in the 20th/21st century will inevitably deal with doubt, it's basically a cliche at this point.

These sound like standard complaints for any post-Urusei Yatsura Oshii work, honestly. At any rate, I don't see how putting the abstract ahead of the dramatic is necessary a bad thing, especially when you're not telling a traditional narrative. Much of my affection for the film is due to the abstract imagery, which I find engaging on a purely visual level. I think boiling down the film to the things that "happen" in it and what its final "message" is misses the strangely compelling audiovisual package that makes it work as a whole. I also don't think that everything in it has an allegorical or symbolic meaning, and that's perfectly fine.

I don't think abstraction or shallow allegory is the problem, it's that Oshii isn't all that great working in an abstract mode. For religious cinema there are a lot of good heavily abstract filmmakers (Nathaniel Dorsky, Stan Brakhage, Kenneth Anger), but that's their specialty so they can pull it off better. Beyond some stuff like the shadow whales nothing in Angel's Egg really stood out visually for me.

Anyway, good discussion. In any case I recommend Tarkovsky's Stalker, if you're looking for something similar to this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh man. You don't know what you're in for.

Like I said in my impressions, "off-the-rails crazy".

I couldn't figure out why he delivered a line like that in such a matter of fact fashion, like it totally made sense that Emi was in fact, a rabbit.

Please stop talking about sandwiches, I'd eat anything right now.

bA2xfPB.jpg

ANYTHING.

zeroshiki

o_O wut

Why the fuck did they make such an awesome prequel to a horrible story? Like, I can't even comprehend that. Well, guess I'm done with that show.

This is what we were all asking when it first got announced. The only people who were excited for F/Z were the hardcore FSN fanboys and there weren't alot of them here in the thread.

Pooya

Well since Fate/Stay Night Reproduction isn't worth watching, what about Fate/Prototype? I've always been curious about checking it out but never really heard anyone talk about it. I guess there's not much to say since it's a short, but does it have any merit?

It doesn't have any story past the first few minutes, it's just montage of several fight scenes, which look pretty cool. I remember when I watched it first time, the imagery reminded me of scenes from Matrix trilogy, mostly the sequels. It's probably more interesting than Stay Night ever is.

cajunator

Banned
only seen her in school uniform form.

Oh man. Oooooh man.

o_O wut

Why the fuck did they make such an awesome prequel to a horrible story? Like, I can't even comprehend that. Well, guess I'm done with that show.

Now onto Cowboy Bebop. :D

You chose correctly

I didn't finish Blood-C, but I don't think it's a good idea.

You chose poorly.

Go ahead...

Just have a few.

They are bloody fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom