• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

That doesnt really mean much.

hKrrMUq.jpg

Up through ep 5 of Hidamari Sketch x 365. It was good to watch a bunch of this after a somewhat crappy weekend. That OP by itself was enough to make me smile.

And Yoshinoya-sensei is definitely one of my favorite anime teachers ever :D

This is my first time posting here but I gotta say that I'm loving SNAFU right now. The show is hilarious with the sarcastic humor, and the MC is golden. I don't think I've seen a better MC ever since I watched Beelzebub and Gintama. The main character is just so negative that he's awesome and somewhat depressing at the same time but in a funny way.

I'm just glad that the show doesn't run like a cliche romance comedy and instead makes a good enough twist to make the show watchable. The MC is literally like an anime version of me mostly in the way we think lol.

This is my first time posting here but I gotta say that I'm loving SNAFU right now. The show is hilarious with the sarcastic humor, and the MC is golden. I don't think I've seen a better MC ever since I watched Beelzebub and Gintama. The main character is just so negative that he's awesome and somewhat depressing at the same time but in a funny way.

I'm just glad that the show doesn't run like a cliche romance comedy and instead makes a good enough twist to make the show watchable. The MC is literally like an anime version of me mostly in the way we think lol.

Welcome! Your tastes are awesome already.

Yu-Gi-Oh S0

I suppose it's no harm to spoil future plot points since you're on the verge of dropping this, so I'll at least say that Kaiba does in fact become entertainingly evil. For instance, in one episode
it's revealed that he's been keeping his elderly mentor cryogenically frozen with the sole purpose of awakening him and pitting him in a duel against Yugi
and, after that,
Kaiba kidnaps Yugi's grandfather and forces Yugi and his friends through a multi-stage obstacle course of death broadcast in a stadium where thousands of spectators watch and cheer
. Certainly nothing Dio-level, but his methods become more drastic as he becomes increasingly obsessed with defeating Yugi.

Now that sounds interesting.

This is essentially Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters from the Battle City arc onward.

And this is early Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters; the Duelist Kingdom arc immortalized in the Abridged Series.

And this sounds somewhat interesting too. Perhaps an investigation of that series is in order.

You're under no obligation to continue watching, of course. I appreciate the gesture of you watching any of this, especially considering that I know that you're not fond of watching things because they're hailed as entertainingly bad. At least I know now that my intuition was correct and that I'm alone in my special "appreciation" for the series.

It's not even entertainingly bad though, it's just mediocre. It feels like the anime staff are merely going through the motions, and that makes it difficult to me to sit through unless the story is exceptionally compelling, which so far it is not. I can see why it would be interesting for someone invested in the franchise, but I am not. I'll probably watch one or two more episodes, and if the quality doesn't pick up I'll check out the manga instead. Maybe the execution will be better there.

Angel's Egg

Fair enough. People's reactions to stuff like this usually depend on their background, personal perspective and so on. I can see why someone would feel it to be emotionally resonant. However, basically any artist dealing with religion in the 20th/21st century will inevitably deal with doubt, it's basically a cliche at this point.

It's difficult to avoid dealing with doubt post-World War I, since the general culture has become highly skeptical of there being any truth in religion and the supernatural. Oshii isn't giving a unique perspective on the Christian faith. But he is giving a deeply personal one. Having your religious faith drained of meaning may be a cliche, but it's a cliche that Oshii himself lived through and struggled with, and that's what I see in the film. It's not a theoretical study of the subject; it's an expression of his own painful journey with it.

I don't think abstraction or shallow allegory is the problem, it's that Oshii isn't all that great working in an abstract mode.

Funny, I find that the most powerful moments in Oshii's films are when he's working in a more surreal, abstract mode. The middle and later sections of Beautiful Dreamer, for example, or Matsui's investigation segments in Patlabor 1. He has a real knack for creating a creepy atmosphere.

Beyond some stuff like the shadow whales nothing in Angel's Egg really stood out visually for me.

I find that difficult to believe. I think the overall success of the film is up for debate, but the visual creativity and uniqueness on display is not. Just consider the giant eye merging the mechanical with the organic:

Or any of the images in this post. And that doesn't even touch the silky hair animation.

Anyway, good discussion. In any case I recommend Tarkovsky's Stalker, if you're looking for something similar to this.

It's already on my ever too expansive watch list.

cajunator

Banned
I just wish the figurine choices were better.
Better quality and made by the good manufacturers like Kotobukiya, alter, and GSC.

CorvoSol

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

You have succeeded. You have prevailed over one of anime's greatest triumphs. Even though your mind is no doubt now a decomposed mess after that, I'm sure you feel proud!

As for your next show, I unfortunately have no other mecha shows to recommend. I can recommend a Shounen (with 20 episode story arcs), two Mahou Shoujos (that aren't Precure related), a medical drama anime, and a high school drama anime, but unfortunately no mecha shows.

I sure feel something. I mean, S1 was a good, if somewhat zany show. R2 is straight up crazy the entire way.

I think you need to pay attention more. :(

It is clearly shown the Continental Union fought the Evolvers for a substantial amount of time in space, outside the Earth's orbit, presumably for years. By the time the Continental Union decided to attempt to use the warp gate to escape before destroying it, the Evolvers were all completely evolved into space snails and space squids. All the humans in the Evolver faction are... Hideauze. There are no more normal humans in their faction. It's really clear who is who. The wormhole tech for the warp gate is similar to the same technology the Galactic Federation uses, and their ships are a more primitive version of the same ships shown in the first episode.

See, I saw those scenes, and it makes sense with your explanation, but I wouldn't call that clearly shown. And it's been over a month since I saw the first episode, so I definitely don't
remember what the Alliance's Warp gate looked like. And if all the Evolvers were Hideauze, why are we shown that clip of the two guys in space suits sending the first Hideauze on his own into space?

For me ,
of course lelouch is alive , it's just emperor lelouch that is dead.. i mean isn't that obvious ? he has the code on his body, so he can't die by being stabbed.

It's possible, I'll give you that. I don't want to believe that, though, because Lelouch had a LOT of crimes to pay for. I don't like that the ending tries to absolve him, though.

This is the best post I've ever seen.

Somebody give this man a tag. SOMEBODY.

Haha, wow.

Nice review but i still don't know why you like Ougi, but I'm with you about Nina, that table's rapist should die.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH! ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

CorvoSol
ALL HAIL LELOUCH!
(Today, 12:27 AM)

I don't actually remember the table rape. Is that
the episode where she masturbates to pictures of Princess Euphemia?
Either way, I can't BELIEVE that while
Lelouch dies, and Suzaku has to give up what semblance of normalcy his life had,
Nina gets off without having paid for even one of the horrible things she did.

As to Ogie, I liked him because he was just a normal, nice guy. He didn't have some other gambit in this, and there was nothing grandiose to his character. He wanted to free Japan, and that was all. He had his thing with Valetta, and that was nice, but at the end of it, Ogie was just a normal guy, and that made him endearing in a show of ace pilots, master tacticians, and super powered immortals.

Welcome! Your tastes are awesome already.

Thanks, I just started watching the anime of this season and so far I'm watching SNAFU, Attack on Titan, and I'm about to start The Devil is a Part Time Worker.

I've heard good things Part Time Worker and since I mostly watch comedies, I think I'll enjoy it. Has anybody on here watched Devil is a Part Time Worker and would recommend it to me? Or is it not that great?

Dresden

Thanks, I just started watching the anime of this season and so far I'm watching SNAFU, Attack on Titan, and I'm about to start The Devil is a Part Time Worker.

I've heard good things Part Time Worker and since I mostly watch comedies, I think I'll enjoy it. Has anybody on here watched Devil is a Part Time Worker and would recommend it to me? Or is it not that great?

It's pretty good. I like it more than SNAFU, for what it's worth.

Most people who have been watching it swear by it. People seem to really like it.

Really fun comedy. Good jokes and the main character is definitely different enough to set it apart from like a normal psudeo-harem shows.

You'll love his dedication to his job.

Really fun comedy. Good jokes and the main character is definitely different enough to set it apart from like a normal psudeo-harem shows.

You'll love his dedication to his job.

Most people who have been watching it swear by it. People seem to really like it.

It's pretty good. I like it more than SNAFU, for what it's worth.

Wow, I guess all the good things I heard about it are true then. Guess I'll give it a go and hopefully I can add it to my list for this season.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I don't actually remember the table rape. Is that
the episode where she masturbates to pictures of Princess Euphemia?
Either way, I can't BELIEVE that while
Lelouch dies, and Suzaku has to give up what semblance of normalcy his life had,
Nina gets off without having paid for even one of the horrible things she did.

yes

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, that was something. I mean, I already hated her for being a racist and teased about her little crush on Euphemia, but that was when I realized that Nina was absolutely insane, too.
Insane? It was just inconsiderate considering it wasn't her furniture.

Jex

[Cardcaptor Sakura] - 70/End

In the same way that Eriol was trolling everyone in this series I feel that the second season of this series itself was trolling the fanbase. Why else would you essentially rehash numerous beats from the the first season, including the ending, except do it all slightly worse? Perfunctory is the word that I would use to describe this affair. When Meilin gets one of the best episodes and arguably the best character send off then you know you're in trouble.

Overall Carcaptor Sakura is an enjoyable (and occasionally excellent) series that doesn't need to be anyway near as long as it is, and the 'second season' seems very little purpose at all besides delivering some character fanservice.

Detective Conan 206:
Everyone gets their shining moment here. I've always loved how in this case,
Takagi figures everything out on his own, and Satou is the one who confronts the killer, with Conan just piecing together what Takagi had already figured out. It's very refreshing.
Haibara also has a lot of really good moments, and she's the one who makes the crucial breakthrough with the arson case. This is Detective Conan as it should be, with tons of great character moments and everyone getting a chance to do something useful, and cases that are very different from the normal murder investigation. The epilogue scene with Satou and Takagi is also hilarious, and the perfect capstone to the story.

Tomboy princess is quite unmatched in recent adventure anime.
Still don't get why driland didn't catch the minds of more people.
The entire cast is awesome and the antagonist were cool too.

MOTIVATION RESTORED.

Enjoy it ..it's a nice anime.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

In the same way that Eriol was trolling everyone in this series I feel that the second season of this series itself was trolling the fanbase. Why else would you essentially rehash numerous beats from the the first season, including the ending, except do it all slightly worse? Perfunctory is the word that I would use to describe this affair. When Meilin gets one of the best episodes and arguably the best character send off then you know you're in trouble.

Overall Carcaptor Sakura is an enjoyable (and occasionally excellent) series that doesn't need to be anyway near as long as it is, and the 'second season' seems very little purpose at all besides delivering some character fanservice.

Character fanservice you say?

DRzPNV5.jpg

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - END

A great mash-up of a shit ton of different genres I can't really name off the top of my head, but I enjoyed it, especially since it gave me a bunch of
Persona 4
vibes, reminding me I need to finish it. Also turns out that the manga is ending this month, too, so I'll give that a read.

...I also need to finish/rewatch/restart Another, which I also got vibes from.

Kurenai 3

This is the first episode that I can say I was able to follow comfortably. There's still a fair degree of cutting back and forth between two different stories, but since Shinkuro and Murasaki's stories gradually coalesced into one it worked this time. The pacing of the dialogues is still snappy, at times reminding me of classic screwball comedy pacing, but since I wasn't trying desperately to keep up with the changes of scene it was able to have a greater impact on me. Lots of amusing and charming moments, especially with the fish out of water scenario of the sheltered Murasaki confronted with the "real world".

Two scenes in particular showed off how useful Matsuo's method of pre-recording can be. First was the meeting of Shinkuro with Murasaki and Yuuno. Their lines were constantly overlapping with each other as everyone was trying to pull the conversation around to what they wanted to discuss at the same time. It added a welcome layer of complexity to the interaction. Second was Murasaki's confrontation with Shinkuro after they got off the train. There was a raw energy behind her performance and how she was bouncing off of Shinkuro's attempt to contain her. It was a revealing character moment. Watching this right after Flowers of Evil makes me think about just how different the naturalistic dialogue delivery of these two shows is from the vast majority of anime.

CorvoSol

Insane? It was just inconsiderate considering it wasn't her furniture.

No, insane because she left the door wide open.

that poor table

it never asked for this

Table wishes that the King of Quaker Oats had succeeded and all of this was undone.

Raped by Nina in anime. Gets stripped and destroyed in Wrasslin.

Being Table is suffering.

The plus side is that The Book is on The Table.

Tables are oranges are tomatoes.

BluWacky

I would suggest, if you have time, you finish off the show properly by watching the second film, which is a post-series coda.

CCS's second part may seem pointless, but it gave 2ch their fifth favourite OP of all time (in 2008), so that counts for something. Based Kanno/Iwasato/Sakamoto, indeed!

that poor table

it never asked for this

I went back on all the replies etc just to see what everyone is talking about. I've never seen Code Geass, but that scene was awkward as heck. She just finishes and some girl in a wheelchair rolls in and its awkward lol.

Now I'm with everyone else, poor table :(

Dresden

Pony Canyon offering 1 million yen and a chance to get idea made into anime

Pony Canyon opened a website for the first “Anime Adaptation Competition” on Monday. The grand prize winner will receive one million yen (about US$9,985) prize and the opportunity to have his or her idea turned into an anime.

The competition allows participants to submit ideas for anime in four categories: manga, novel/scenario/plot, illustration, or music. The genre of the piece is completely up to the creator.

Time to turn my Jim Raynor x Fenix fantasies into reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom