• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

It's been mentioned a few times within this thread that people don't seem to understand the geography within Attack on Titan. This confusion seems to come in two flavours: confusion about the layout of the walls (e.g. it's not a city with three big sets of walls, it's a huge expanse of land with walls at certain points) and confusion about where characters are because all the locations look kind of similar. Here's a perfect case in point:

episode 9 spoilers

where were levi and his squad in the beginning of this episode? where is hans? levi looked like he already arrived to trost but then he said something about the titans moving north toward the town. so they were in a city outside of this wall? kinda confused about peoples location, especially where hans and those titans stuck to the wall are.
I think you're only confused because everything in the show looks the same. It's impossible to tell any place apart from another without captions because they all look like they could be the same city. Lol.

Some of this confusion stems from people not paying complete attention to the show because the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with via character dialogue or, occasionally, imagery e.g. characters get on a boat, end up somewhere else even if it does all look rather similar. Another factor to consider is that neither the director nor the background artists do a good job of creating understandable, memorable spaces. The layout of buildings relative to each other is something that apparently no-one is paying attention to and I suppose when everyone can bounce around with 3D gear such matters are considered unimportant.

However, in reality, such things are important. The spaces characters inhabit tell us a great deal, they set the tone, they inform us about the world and the people who live in it. If one rooftop in one city kinds of looks like a rooftop in another city then it doesn't really matter where the characters are because nowhere feels distinct and tangible. What's worse is that it's not just that the place look kind of similar, some buildings are actually identical. It's actually pretty funny, just consider these shots of various locations in various episodes:

Can you see it yet? It's actually eveywhere. That one particuarly tower that has a single window at the top and a double window below appears frequently throughout the show, sometimes multiple times in a single shot. If you played a drinking game where you drank everytime you saw that tower you'd be in hospital pretty quickly. The sheer laziness of using the exact same tower across all these locations is pretty shocking. It's like having clone characters walking around all over the place.

Crocodile

I'm not seeing any Godannar on that list.

I'm just going to chime and say that those who are fans of Giant Robots and Hot Blooded Action should definitely watch this show. It's been a while since I last saw it but I remember loving it. It has TONS of fanservice if that's a concern for anybody but it's pretty much exclusively Grown-Ass, Kick-Ass Woman fanservice and not "Moe/Uguu/Onichan" garbage. I know CorvoSol liked Gun x Sword, TTGL and GGG so I've got a feeling he'll probably like Godannar as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Cardcaptor Sakura] - 70/End

In the same way that Eriol was trolling everyone in this series I feel that the second season of this series itself was trolling the fanbase. Why else would you essentially rehash numerous beats from the the first season, including the ending, except do it all slightly worse? Perfunctory is the word that I would use to describe this affair. When Meilin gets one of the best episodes and arguably the best character send off then you know you're in trouble.

Overall Carcaptor Sakura is an enjoyable (and occasionally excellent) series that doesn't need to be anyway near as long as it is, and the 'second season' seems very little purpose at all besides delivering some character fanservice.
I'm gonna be honest, the real reason I wanted you to watch this show is so that you have the framework from which to watch the second movie. Trust me.

First movie is totally forgettable and you can skip that.

Metrotab

Banned
It's crazy how they're leaving out the OP now.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 84: A Triumphant Return in Disappointment

~ I don't remember having given that man the right to be defeated by anyone but myself! ~

H3SZDc6.jpg

Yep, Reinhard is very angry with the news. Crazy how he even shouts at Hildegard and Emil, which he has never done before. I don't understand why Reinhard wants Hildegard at the position of Superintendent so badly though. She's not militarily trained, and she'd be much more useful in a civil function, like Imperial Prime Minister.
Man, that's a lot of people leaving Julian behind. I was scared Poplan was gonna join them.
Bringing the old ED back was a nice touch.

Nafe

It couldn't have been that bad, you got some time to be out in the sun and stuff.

I definitely got some time out in the sun as there were no clouds or shade and very little to no breeze. That and we were outside pretty much all day the first day though not quite as long the second.

There were a lot of trees and so a lot of holes needed to be dug. My parents thought they were going to be in smaller pots when first buying them but they were pretty big pots. That meant bigger holes needed to be dug and two people were needed to lift them since they were tall enough as well (and heavy from being watered), about six or seven feet I think.

All the dirt dug out needed to be cleaned up and all that "fun" stuff. There was some other chores too like a little bit of weeding.

This was on my Youtube suggestions. What does that mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xih3eYtWYgY

All right, which one of you is playing with your new toy? Haha.

I remember the Royal Clock from Smile PreCure! is actually pretty big, probably about to scale as it's shown in the anime. There's some Kamen Rider posters on the wall as well and near the end it sounds like the little boy is playing with one of the guns from the newest Super Sentai series. The sound effects sound similar anyway if it's not.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm just going to chime and say that those who are fans of Giant Robots and Hot Blooded Action should definitely watch this show. It's been a while since I last saw it but I remember loving it. It has TONS of fanservice if that's a concern for anybody but it's pretty much exclusively Grown-Ass, Kick-Ass Woman fanservice and not "Moe/Uguu/Onichan" garbage. I know CorvoSol liked Gun x Sword, TTGL and GGG so I've got a feeling he'll probably like Godannar as well.

Exactly. And the romance/relationship stuff in the show I always felt a bit more mature (despite the fanservice) due to dealing with a married couple as the show's protags rather than highschoolers crushing on each other or something.

I also like that a lot of the action were modern, somewhat campy (but fun) throwbacks to the old school mecha shows in someways.

It's been mentioned a few times within this thread that people don't seem to understand the geography within Attack on Titan. This confusion seems to come in two flavours: confusion about the layout of the walls (e.g. it's not a city with three big sets of walls, it's a huge expanse of land with walls at certain points) and confusion about where characters are because all the locations look kind of similar. Here's a perfect case in point:

Some of this confusion stems from people not paying complete attention to the show because the vast majority of this stuff is dealt with via character dialogue or, occasionally, imagery e.g. characters get on a boat, end up somewhere else even if it does all look rather similar. Another factor to consider is that neither the director nor the background artists do a good job of creating understandable, memorable spaces. The layout of buildings relative to each other is something that apparently no-one is paying attention to and I suppose when everyone can bounce around with 3D gear such matters are considered unimportant.

However, in reality, such things are important. The spaces characters inhabit tell us a great deal, they set the tone, they inform us about the world and the people who live in it. If one rooftop in one city kinds of looks like a rooftop in another city then it doesn't really matter where the characters are because nowhere feels distinct and tangible. What's worse is that it's not just that the place look kind of similar, some buildings are actually identical. It's actually pretty funny, just consider these shots of various locations in various episodes:

Can you see it yet? It's actually eveywhere. That one particuarly tower that has a single window at the top and a double window below appears frequently throughout the show, sometimes multiple times in a single shot. If you played a drinking game where you drank everytime you saw that tower you'd be in hospital pretty quickly. The sheer laziness of using the exact same tower across all these locations is pretty shocking. It's like having clone characters walking around all over the place.

And every house has the same shingles too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's crazy how they're leaving out the OP now.
I AM WAITING FOR YOU IN MY HEART

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 84: A Triumphant Return in Disappointment

Yep, Reinhard is very angry with the news. Crazy how he even shouts at Hildegard and Emil, which he has never done before.
Yang was the closest thing Reinhard had in spirit and mind to Kircheis. He is the only man in the Galaxy who can stand up to him. Losing him in this manner means losing the only thin keeping him back. It's tragic. :(

Crocodile

For a series as high profile as Attack on Titan (to my understanding at least), it's shameful how little money and forethought were put into its production.

I definitely got some time out in the sun as there were no clouds or shade and very little to no breeze. That and we were outside pretty much all day the first day though not quite as long the second.

There were a lot of trees and so a lot of holes needed to be dug. My parents thought they were going to be in smaller pots when first buying them but they were pretty big pots. That meant bigger holes needed to be dug and two people were needed to lift them since they were tall enough as well (and heavy from being watered), about six or seven feet I think.

All the dirt dug out needed to be cleaned up and all that "fun" stuff. There was some other chores too like a little bit of weeding.

I suppose it couldn't be as bad as helping a cousin move, which I did this past weekend. Carrying a sofa up several flights of stairs is not fun.
Thankfully, it didn't rain until after we were done.

I'm not seeing any Godannar on that list.

Godannar is awesome.

You have good taste !

-----------------
ARATA KANGATARI - 08

This is some bullsh*t.
No , seriously this isn't my first anime ..or my first story about revenge. But this situation is some stupidity...
WHAT A LOSER.

How do you reach this point ? Must you make all the wrong choices on purpose ?

Let's recap:
Dude with a father that is a politician ( who don't care about his familly ) want to break free from his father grasp and choose the sports way in a normal school. After 1 year in the track and field ( or running) club , he crashes because he lost to the hero at sports in a fair way. he just doesn't have the talent. His familly fall appart ( nothing to do with the hero ) and it's heavilly implied that the politician father doesn't even care since he has a mistress or something.

Instead of working harder , instead of focusing his attention on sports ( a positive thing last time i checked ), instead of taking the thing properly , he start using his familly power of influence to bully the main character and all the people associated with him.
Main character drop from school, he doesn't use that opportunity to win some things , no he stops going at sports , keep his bullying act and doesn't even work on his studies ... He is loser incarnate.
I would have forgiven the character if that was jealousy, but that's not even it , we're past the point of greed. Arata only fault is that be beat him fair and square in a competition.

WHAT
THE
HECK
!!!

Is this dude a moron or what ?

What freaking prevented him from working harder ? what prevented him from using the teamwork in place to win some competitions , too ? Why did he drop everything just like that ? That's stupid.

But it's not over.!! He can't forgive the hero because bullied like crazy , he stopped coming to school !!

I have no other words

Everyone was hurt , every freaking character on the normal world side was hurt because the guy is selfishness incarnate. And of course that's not his fault. His hate is so strong that he can wield Orochi the demonic sword . A hate from what ? Because someone beat you fair and square.
Even when you're saved from a bad situation by the character you disaprouve , all i saw in that scene was jealousy( at best ) because Arata has a mom who cares from him and he doesn't.

Congratulations, Kadowaki you've earned this seal of approval.

Code:
Masato Kadowaki(Arata kangatari) : Ultimate idiot of the Spring season 2013

I should make a logo ... this guy deserve one.

Theonik

For a series as high profile as Attack on Titan (to my understanding at least), it's shameful how little money and forethought were put into its production.
It's not a matter of money in this case. The show needed at least to be next season.
But alas. Were it a money problem they wouldn't be hiring a ridiculous number of animators to get it done on time.

This was something I wasn't prepared for.

[man cannon balling through window.gif]
It gets better worse.

BluWacky

The first 8 minutes of Wit Studio's upcoming film Hal are streaming currently on Yahoo! Japan, for those curious.

Thanks for the link.

I'm a bit underwhelmed. It looks okay - not super-attractive, but decent enough for a film - but the storytelling feels really clunky and unconvincing, and the MacGuffin of the Rubik's Cube with
Haru's last message to Kurumi
on is a bit of an eye-roller. I'm also not sure about the dialogue - it seems like a bad sign when I can understand every word of it, it suggests that the dialogue's written at the level of a 3 year old.

But I AM hyper-critical of everything I watch, and I will probably watch the whole film at some point anyway.

Nafe

I suppose it couldn't be as bad as helping a cousin move, which I did this past weekend. Carrying a sofa up several flights of stairs is not fun.
Thankfully, it didn't rain until after we were done.

Yeah, I had to help someone move the one time a few years ago. Things like carrying the sofa upstairs isn't fun. It was a condo and they were at the end of the hall. Haha, I forget, we either had to really try and twist it around or go partially out the exit stairwell to get it in the door because the hallways were so narrow. The sad part is that it wasn't really that big of one either. It would have been impossible if they actually had a large sofa.

I see some of these kind of house travel or buying type shows and wonder how some people got their furniture up or down the stairs as they seem so narrow even for just one person.

cajunator

Banned
I'm gonna be honest, the real reason I wanted you to watch this show is so that you have the framework from which to watch the second movie. Trust me.

First movie is totally forgettable and you can skip that.

I need to get my hands on those movies. The cost will not be nice.

I've never even read Nisekoi, but short haired blue is the cutest and is the best until further notice.

Short blue hair is usually a recipe for win. Final rankings TBD of course.

Better start making some entries in a .txt document so that you can submit this during our end-of-year "best of" voting.

i will probably open a googledoc file so i can update it anywhere..

But i have hard time to imagine a character that would do worse than him.

Masato Kadowaki doesn't deserve forgiveness. for me it's past that point. He need to die

Eureka Seven AO is such a downgrade in entertainment from Code Geass, it shouldn't even be considered for that type of recommendation.

Any anime is a downgrade after geass R2.

trejo

Jex's CCS impressions are making me consider dropping the show from my backlog. :/

Omigawa, you mean.

Hell naw. Might as well include a Nanoripe OP and ED.

You mean Miyuki Sawashiro.

Eh, I don't know. Jex doesn't strike me as a Sawashiro.

Also, /XX/ would be Mamiko Noto and firehawk12 goes wthout saying.

As if the recent increase in apish ranting wasn't enough the absurd number of open or blatant spoilers for shows new and old has made the thread particularly contemptible.

Sounds like Corvo has a detractor!

Yeah, I had to help someone move the one time a few years ago. Things like carrying the sofa upstairs isn't fun. It was a condo and they were at the end of the hall. Haha, I forget, we either had to really try and twist it around or go partially out the exit stairwell to get it in the door because the hallways were so narrow. The sad part is that it wasn't really that big of one either. It would have been impossible if they actually had a large sofa.

I see some of these kind of house travel or buying type shows and wonder how some people got their furniture up or down the stairs as they seem so narrow even for just one person.

Reminds me of when we had to get the old couch out of our basement. Had to take the door of it's hinges to get it through. It had a hide-a-bed too, so it was really heavy.
I really liked that couch though, but it had to go. The cushions were falling apart because it was so old.

Jojo'sPolnareff's Bizarre Adventure OVA 6 2000 Edition

It finally makes sense as to why Polnareff looked so bad in this shot. Because this episode is pretty ugly overall. And I don't mean in the form of bad drawings, but rather some grotesque imagry produced throughout this episode.... while I was eating no less.

Jotaro makes observations, but otherwise, it's easy to forget he exists. He's nowhere near as eye catching as Joseph Jostar (young), so he's pretty boring as a result. But that's what the side characters are for I guess. Some music choices seem a bit appropriate considering the series though.

Ultimate idiot of this season should go to:

For saying, "I could fall for her" towards his younger sister.

See , there is no denying that this was a stupid move .

Just like mahiro in narlko W did when he was asked by a crying girl that was on top of him on his bed to take responsability and give a serious answer for once. He didn't do what he should have done.

That was stupid.

However i'm looking in "Masato Kadowaki" at an ultimate version.
He didn't make 1 mistake. He made several mistakes in a row , too many to count and is drowing in his own greed/avarice/stupidity that only a deus ex machina or a magical device could correct.

Call me back when they do as many mistakes in a row.Otherwise , my opinion won't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom