• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 169:
Natsuya was annoying, although I liked how the main characters found his 'shounen hero super optimism willpower 3000%' personality completely perplexing. It added some humor to what was otherwise a fairly standard episode. Heatran also came across as pretty pathetic.

However, this single scene stole the show for me.
heatranutilities_zps395af162.jpg

Probably one of the funniest fantasy Sakaki scenes I can recall.

Shinji is Shinji on purpose though. Renton got saddled with the douchiest bunch of douches this side of the Jersey Shore. lol

Some of the Gecko State folks could be douches at times, but they were still great characters.

You say that like Eureka's children were regular kids and not the most inhumane assholes with shrill voices this side of the planet. There's brats on a warship, like in MSG, and then there's fucking nightmare demons who will not stop shitting through their vocal chords about puke and pubes. GUESS WHICH ONE EUREKA'S SHITACULAR FUCKSPAWN WERE?

The former?

Seriously, I never had that much of a problem with Eureka's children. I recall Katz, Letz and Kikka bothering me more in MSG, but I was also much younger when I watched Gundam as opposed to Eureka Seven. Eureka's children have never really angered me.

Sengoku Basara S2 5

Seems like a really nice touch for Keiji to leave his sword behind, especially given how the character's weapons seem so heavily tied to their identities. Also, while not particularly deep, the character drama regarding Date & Kojuro was really nice. Not something I expected after the first season which makes for a nice surprise.

How is Sengoku Basara? Is it worth a watch sometime down the road?

Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 169:
Natsuya was annoying, although I liked how the main characters found his 'shounen hero super optimism willpower 3000%' personality completely perplexing. It added some humor to what was otherwise a fairly standard episode. Heatran also came across as pretty pathetic.

However, this single scene stole the show for me.
heatranutilities_zps395af162.jpg

Probably one of the funniest fantasy Sakaki scenes I can recall.

Man, I miss old Team Rocket. Now they are just boring and even more pointless than before.

Instro

Majestic Prince 9

I had to laugh at how pointless keeping that secret ended up being. They made it seem like it would be a source of friction for half an episode only to reverse course.

Nafe

Normally that might catch my attention but not with that awful system they're putting out.

Yeah, not to drag the whole Microsoft/Xbox hate into here but for the most part, outside of the niche Japanese titles, like shooters from CAVE, or a couple of exclusive franchises like Halo and Gears of War, the Xbox hasn't really interested me for the past three or four years now.

Most of the online features either don't interest me or I can get for free elsewhere or even if they did there are some that are U.S. only and I don't live in the United States. Most games have been multiplatform now for awhile as well and I don't really care much about Kinect from the little bit I've personally seen.

The Xbox One conference didn't really interest me except I think the one thing I liked was the PVR type function where you could save some gameplay something like in Halo 3. We'll see what happens at E3 with their exclusive games and if they interest me.

Just imagine if the new Sailor Moon had a character voiced by Asami Imai!

fertygo

How is Sengoku Basara? Is it worth a watch sometime down the road?

Definitely.

Seriously, I never had that much of a problem with Eureka's children. I recall Katz, Letz and Kikka bothering me more in MSG, but I was also much younger when I watched Gundam as opposed to Eureka Seven. Eureka's children have never really angered me.
Imagine if the kids pointing gun to Amuro.

First half of Wolf Children

Busy times so only could watch half today. Really enjoying it. Cute and energetic. Still find it a little weird that the mom reminds me of a frog though.

But its all good.

moms are tough.

The lack of any big conflict thing is worrying me though. I'm scared :-(

Jewelpet Kira Deco 27 - MID-SERIES CLIMAX!

The Jewelpets turn into giant mecha, fly into SPACE, and fight each other with planets, comets, and black holes!! Badass hilarity ensues!!!

CorvoSol

The former?

Katz doesn't become true awful till, Zeta. Eureka's Children are the worst things ever, except maybe Nina. They're just really, really bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some of the Gecko State folks could be douches at times, but they were still great characters.
I didn't hate them all that much, mostly because of their arc and what happens in the latter half of the series.
cosmicblizzard, on the other hand. lol

Yeah but then he gets Charles, who is awesome! Dude be literally swag surfing.
Well, until he goes kaput anyway.
lol

cajunator

Banned
Crunchyroll licensed Usagi Drop from the Japanese distributor, not NISA. Hulu licensed it through NISA, hence why it's still on there.

(Unless I've gotten this all terribly backwards, which is entirely possible.)

All this licensing stuff used to be simple. It was or it wasnt. now its only licensed on certain channels or for certain kinds of distribution and none of it makes any fucking sense anymore ;_;

Crime Edge - 02

Oho. Ohohoho. Ohohohohohohoo delicioooooouuuuuuus!!!! @o@

Look at that tongue, lapping that girl's arm like it was a bowl of milk! And that face, that right there is an expression of pure ecstasy. I want more, please tell me there's more.

I wear it with pride. No shame in my game!

Oh yes, theres so much more! You have to wade through a lot of crap to get to it though.

Excellent choice of avatar and banner sir.

It gets dumber, which arguably makes it better.

Of course! Its one of the dumbest shows ever but the cute characters and general fun of the show makes it a blast to watch. and then Kurumi arrives....

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 10

Two people felt the need to put a snake curse on Sengoku? Either she went to school with the biggest pricks ever or she's way more nasty than she lets on. I'll go with the former, benefit of the doubt and all that. Plus she seemed really sweet, if a little unbalanced with the whole big brother complex and whatnot.

Decent arc. First time Araragi has to face somebody being hurt by an apparition that he can't do anything about. On the other ha d, the kid has it coming for being a prick, and as Kanbaru tells him, he shouldn't risk himself or anybody else trying to save people like that. Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess its just one of those consequences that comes from dealing with shit like this.

Two whole episodes without Hitagi is not something I can abide however, especially given how short this series is.

Another shout-out to whoever did the.music in this show. Very simple, but it does a fantastic job of contributing to the show's atmosphere. ED is great as well. I like that the OP changes for each girl, but I'm not real fond of any of them I think. Especially this one. Music is outstanding otherwise, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aim For The Top 2! Diebuster] 3 (Rewatch)
This is the kind of story that would have benefited from being a stand-alone in a longer show. While I have no qualms with Tycho's story per se (the thing with the earrings is just so Utena*), it does rob the show of a lot of momentum. You barely have any time to build L'alc and Nono's relationship, and to suddenly throw this storyline in here is just... eh. There are some hints at
Nono's true nature
here, but on the whole it just feels like an unnecessary deviation.

How cool would it have been to see a series with all of the Buster pilots fighting for the top? Especially considering how quickly they get disposed of their Buster Machines. The "rivalry" theme they try through introduce here with Tycho and Nono (emulating Freud and Kazumi, natch, even if they later throw a wrench on that idea) would have behooved a longer time-frame.
I have no idea why humanity would
decide to make an artificial Jupiter where the original once stood. It just doesn't seem very cost-efficient, and they have to deal with the cyclical space monster swarm too! Though, why did the space monsters suddenly decide to get on that orbit? Are they trying to get revenge for being blown to smithereens twelve-thousand years ago?
lol

On a similar note, I'm glad
Coach's death
wasn't in vain. ;_;

EDIT: By the way, hearing Japanese people try to pronounce Quatre-Ving-Dix is hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HARD WORK AND GUTS
and lesbians
Which kind?

The number of times you can save humanity doesn't have an upper limit.

This is a general statement which applies to all forms of media in all of human history.
Is that the same as the idea that K-ON could go on forever if they find a way to artificially keep them together? lol

Its like asking why there's Die Hard 2 when John McClane already beat the terrorists.
Yeah, but how do you escalate from the universe wanting to destroy you by manifesting evil space aliens? lol

Bakemonogatari 10

I like that the OP changes for each girl, but I'm not real fond of any of them I think. Especially this one.

Any other anime community and there would be so much rage at someone not liking Renai Circulation. I'm not a huge fan of this OP or arc either but it's lead me to giggling at this version of the song far more than I should so I'm glad it happened.

Kudos on sharing a great part of the OST but there are other places to share from if a decent version isn't on youtube.

Jinchiku in all its glory!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - First movie + Ep 1-10

So it's Thucydides in space? Sounds cool. There are few nagging issues I'm noticing: all too convenient furtherance of plot and subtext, artificial build-up of action, uneven characterization, and a loosely procedural structure, but despite all that it's managed the impossible and made the worn space opera genre engaging. Yang and Reinhardt are both well defined, the distinctive designs of the ships and tech compensates for the aged animation, and the score is basically perfect with fucking Mahler no. 7 during laser fights. It effectively captures the scale of a hypothetical galactic war, with massive battles, casualties in the millions, coherent ideological underpinnings, etc. I'm skeptical about the massive ep count, but I'm definitely going to see this through to the end.

Speaking of Thucydides, does anyone know of any good anime set in ancient Greece? Specifically Greece, not Rome.

Kenya Boy

Assuming people were serious about this: Utter shite. If contextless novelties is enough to make your film experimental, then cinema can't call itself an art form (not that there was anything actually novel in here to begin with, but I guess gimmicks and only gimmicks is Obayashi's M.O.). It doesn't really commit to the crazy until the second half, and even then it's not all that crazy, retaining its fairly traditional narrative structure to it's conclusion. The dinosaur scene was the only standout part, and had the entire film been like that, the length would be justifiable. Instead, outside of a few visual gags and the requisite terrible script, it's not even entertaining as a "funny bad" film, it's just plain bad. Plain bad for 2 hours. Two whole hours. Am I correct in assuming people recommending this and comparing it to 2001: A Space Odyssey were trolling or blind?
It looks like I was wise to disregard the troll recs for Kenya Boy. You saved me from the temptation of watching it.

cajunator

Banned
Any other anime community and there would be so much rage at someone not liking Renai Circulation. I'm not a huge fan of this OP or arc either but it's lead me to giggling at this version of the song far more than I should so I'm glad it happened.

Kudos on sharing a great part of the OST but there are other places to share from if a decent version isn't on youtube.

Jinchiku in all its glory!

thank youuuuuuuu!!!
Been looking for a recording of it somewhere.
This particular piece stuck with me because of its repetitive catchiness. Didnt know the name of it.

And yes, Platinum Disco is totally the best monagatari music evers.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 1993 Edition 1

With more lewd sacrifices (NSFW)

IGGY IS HERE, with a smug look on his face. Reaction scenes galore, coupled with some odd editing up in here. On top of that, Jotaro clearly cut his hair, which in turn, made everything brighter in the universe. That's how hair works. On that note, Jotaro certainly says a lot more, but loves saying that everything is a pain. Kakyoin was stupid this episode...

HEY LETS JUST LAY ON THE SAND AS THE STAND MATERIALIZES IN FRONT OF US, BRILLIANT!

Looks like a battle of the wits is among us. Wonder how this will turn out.

How Lewd, in the middle of the desert too.

Joe Molotov

Revolutionary Girl Utena 01 - 03

tumblr_makblyoiXB1qeysf2o1_500.gif

I'm not going in completely blind, as I have seen The Adolescence of Utena (although I had no idea what was going on), but still...

iIwv8mSHn8j0Q.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 1993 Edition 1

Kakyoin was stupid this episode...

HEY LETS JUST LAY ON THE SAND AS THE STAND MATERIALIZES IN FRONT OF US, BRILLIANT!
I can't remember a single time Kakyoin did something good in the 2000 OVAs. He's the worst.

P.S. dat water animation goddamn
Revolutionary Girl Utena 01 - 03

I'm not going in completely blind, as I have seen The Adolescence of Utena (although I had no idea what was going on)
why would you do that?
Who cares, their outfits suck.
Shut up Gramps, jumpsuits are all the rage here in the future!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's about the differences between 80s/90s Gainax and 00s Gainax.

am I the only one here who adores Gunbuster but hates Diebuster?
I've never seen it, despite knowing the end, which is why I'm :kayos/:chitanda about it. lol

The fact that they're reissuing Diebuster but not Gunbuster on BD is doubly weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom