• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

You still got to admit Arti, for someone who keeps on claiming to not wanting to have to deal with shit here you sure do have a tendency to keep coming back every time to keep on dealing with shit here.

You gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I do hope you're around to do the poll thing, mainly because the rest of us are lazy fucks who are unlikely to get any shit done.

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 21

chihayas221.jpg

This was a pretty good episode thanks to just how quick and snappy everything was. I thought
Arata's parents cheering for him to lose so they don't have to pay for any incredibly expensive uni fees
was pretty funny.

I really do hope they keep this kinda pacing up for the last few eps so this show can end on a pretty good note.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Then the Utena movie SHOULD be on the list! But I think there should be another criteria to it because then LWA would belong there which definitely doesn't feel right.
Let me put it more this way:

Utena is successful at what it sets out to do. It might be crazy, but it's a deliberate and intentional crazy. List Shows more or less fail at what they set out to do but end up succeeding in an unintentional way. Arjuna isn't a good lecture on environmentalism. Garzey's Wing is not coherent or well acted. Happy Science isn't that inspirational. Code Geass doesn't actually have a believable story with its constant twists. In any other kind of work, it would detract from the experience, but in this case it helps make them entertaining in a new way.

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but it's kind of different from what we're going for.

Weekly CD Single Sales May 27 - June 2 (new release only, full list here)

*5, 27,885 *27,885 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000% character song "Idol Song: Natsuki Shinomiya"
45, *1,956 **1,956 Karneval Character Song vol.1 Nai

CD Album
19, 5,367 *5,367 Psycho-Pass Complete Original Soundtrack
26, 3,520 *3,520 Infinite Stratos Original Drama Series vol.2 feat. Cecilia Alcott ~Hishochi no Koi wa Honoka ni Amaku~
40, 2,139 *2,139 Dokidoki! Precure Character Album ~Songbird~

I need to listen to the Nai one but I want a Gareki and Yogi one.
All the UtaPri songs are great this season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully things stabilize before July because I'd really like to come back and run the all-time anime poll, but it's probably not likely.
Bai bai :(

And if you can't make it back before July just know that the answer is Kill Me Baby.

sonicmj1

Is the Aku no Hana anime a close adaptation?

I haven't read the manga, but everything I've heard suggests it's following the events of the manga closely. It's not slavish, though. The rotoscoped production gives it a very different look from just about any other anime, and the direction and sound design have been absolutely masterful so far. It's probably the best show this season.

This translation/summary of an interview with Oshimi (the mangaka) and Nagahama (the director of the adaptation, who also directed Mushi-shi) gives pretty good insight into the direction they were going for with this adaptation.

Final character PV for Free! is up -- rival Rin Matsuoka takes the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhI2_rN74o

Rin easily has the best scenes and is the best one, only Nagisa comes second (but Rei in those sports eyewear and that outfit is also amazing). Rin must sport his outfit like this more often, the feelings.
tumblr_mnv74hsLaD1s17w80o1_500.gif

If only the Free! twitter account didnt already have the avy for it. I cant stop staring.

Date a Live 10

Poor Tohka got snubbed in this ep :( she's still my favorite though. Oragami moved up the ranks a bit with her extended screen time and looks like they've setup some future conflict. How many episodes are left in this season? 2?

Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san - 09

O man Harpy parroting 4chan was amazing :D I'm curious what the original text said, wonder if the show just found memes from 2ch

JCG

List Shows more or less fail at what they set out to do but end up succeeding in an unintentional way.

Code Geass doesn't actually have a believable story with its constant twists. In any other kind of work, it would detract from the experience, but in this case it helps make them entertaining in a new way.

And here's another place where I disagree with you. Do you really think they were trying to go for a "believable" story and not a crazy, over-the-top one? The show's lack of realism and exaggerated theatricality was always rather on the nose, especially but not exclusively by the end of R2, so I feel you can't seriously play the "unintentional" card when the constant stream of twists during the second half couldn't be more deliberate if they had put up a sign.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And here's another place where I disagree with you. Do you really think they were trying to go for a "believable" story and not a crazy, over-the-top one? The show's lack of realism and exaggerated theatricality was always rather on the nose, especially but not exclusively by the end of R2, so I feel you can't seriously play the "unintentional" card when the constant stream of twists during the second half couldn't be more deliberate if they had put up a sign.
Well, staff not giving a fuck is another thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Date a Live 10

Poor Tohka got snubbed in this ep :( she's still my favorite though. Oragami moved up the ranks a bit with her extended screen time and looks like they've setup some future conflict. How many episodes are left in this season? 2?

Iirc the protagonist and Origami
go at it
in the LN but the episode decided to not animate it. I guess.

JCG

There was self-admitted executive meddling; pulling the "staff just didn't give a shit" card doesn't really work with Geass. It was nothing but another Sunrise committee show.

The devil is in the details. They've openly said meddling made them change how to approach the second season, with the whole reset and repetition at the beginning, but that doesn't mean the staff didn't ultimately choose what to do within the framework of said meddling.

Which happened to be making the series even crazier and giving even less of a shit about trying to be realistic in the process. I don't think a mysterious Sunrise committee made that call, nor has the staff ever claimed this.

Looking at his character picture you would think that he'd be one of those nice rivals with his smile and all. Then the PV shows and he looks angry and stressed. Man that picture was misleading lol.

Yeah, they should really fix his teeth though. I couldn't stop looking at them.
Wouldn't anyone be stressed and angry if their friends are at a different school and gave up their swimming dreams after middle school to pursue track and field and etc?

Westlo

Another shout-out to whoever did the.music in this show. Very simple, but it does a fantastic job of contributing to the show's atmosphere. ED is great as well. I like that the OP changes for each girl, but I'm not real fond of any of them I think. Especially this one. Music is outstanding otherwise, though.

Satoru Kosaki is the guy doing the score, he also did the scores for Kannagi, Haruhi, Star Driver and OreMo. Kakai's theme from the next season, godlike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NUmIzrhcs

OceanBlue

Satoru Kosaki is the guy doing the score, he also did the scores for Kannagi, Haruhi, Star Driver and OreMo. Kakai's theme from the next season, godlike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NUmIzrhcs

He did Star Driver? Hah, wow. I was going to say that everything I heard from him tended to be pretty simple, but appropriate (especially in Bake, LS, and Haruhi). Star Driver seems to be the odd one out from that list, but maybe it's just been a while and I don't remember correctly.

Westlo

He did Star Driver? Hah, wow. I was going to say that everything I heard from him tended to be pretty simple, but appropriate (especially in Bake, LS, and Haruhi). Star Driver seems to be the odd one out from that list, but maybe it's just been a while and I don't remember correctly.

Nah you're pretty much right with that, hopefully he steps his shit up for Kizumonogatari when it releases in 2020. lol @ it being delayed to 2013 and still having no release date nearly halfway through the year.

OceanBlue

Nah you're pretty much right with that, hopefully he steps his shit up for Kizumonogatari when it releases in 2020. lol @ it being delayed to 2013 and still having no release date nearly halfway through the year.

The Shaft curse~. It got Negima, it'll get Kizu too! Although, it's really weird that we're getting more -monogatari (I don't even know what volume they're animating) in the form of a TV series which was announced way after the movie, lol.

Ugh, succumbed and read some of the manga for Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi. Still really excited for it though. :D

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Weekly Blu-ray sales for May 27 - June 2:

*1 33,450 *33,450 Girls und Panzer vol.5
*2 23,318 *23,318 Space Battleship Yamato 2199 vol.5
*3 15,982 *15,982 Love Live! School Idol Project vol.3 Limited Edition
*4 12,596 *12,596 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure vol.5 Blu-ray Limited Edition
*5 *7,536 **7,536 Little Busters! vol.6 Limited Edition
*6 *7,449 **7,449 To Love-Ru Darkness vol.6 Limited Edition
*7 *5,245 **5,245 Vividred Operation vol.3 Limited Edition
*8 *3,948 372,947 Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo
*9 *3,632 **3,632 Karneval vol.1 Limited Edition[/B]
10 *3,577 **3,577 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W vol.1 Limited Edition
15 *3,289 **3,289 Puchimas vol.3 Limited Edition
16 *3,116 *24,177 Sword Art Online vol.8 Limited Edition
17 *2,512 **2,512 Jormungand Perfect Order vol.6 Limited Edition
19 *2,230 **2,230 Yuyushiki vol.1 Limited Edition [/B]
20 *2,077 **2,077 The Pet Girl of Sakurasou vol.5

As usual, new series are bolded.

Edit: while I'm waiting for the full DVD list, it's worth pointing out that Nyaruko cratered from S1 to S2, going from 6254/1256 v1w1 to 3577/831.

Glad to see Love Live is still doing well!

Same to GuP!

http://www.ntv.co.jp/GATCHAMAN_Crowds/

Gatchaman Crowds key visual:

Maaya Uchida plays Hajime Itchinose, the main character.

Looking good.

Shame on you!

;3;

Westlo

The Shaft curse~. It got Negima, it'll get Kizu too! Although, it's really weird that we're getting more -monogatari (I don't even know what volume they're animating) in the form of a TV series which was announced way after the movie, lol.

They are animating the "second season" of the novels, novels 7 to 12.

Nekomonogatari (White)
Kabukimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Otorimonogatari
Onimonogatari
Koimonogatari

And yeah SHAFT lol smh.

It's pretty obvious that the Kizumonogatari movie will be the final entry of the Monogatari series.
And that's most likely more a decision of Aniplex/Kodansha than Shaft. You don't produce 41 episodes based on the other novels if you have any kind of production problems.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b49dfad848e190069532bd258ebd6a0c/tumblr_mgf5h2F1xi1qao1fjo1_500.gif[/IG]

I might be going crazy but I actually want to watch Naruto SD.[/QUOTE]

You should watch Naruto SD it has one of the best 10+ minutes in the whole franchise.
[img]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/085/4/f/sasuke_v_lee_in_naruto_sd_ep_51_by_tristtrist-d5zbsvb.gif

Ep 51 is still memorable to this day.

Rewatching Utena right now, and then will watch the movie for the first time after.

Episode 1

A good episode. Did a decent enough job introducing the main set of characters and their personality quirks. One thing I am slightly confused about is Wakaya's love letter. I seem to recall that it is later revealed that Himemiya intentionally placed it on the wall. However, Saionji in this episode acts like it was his idea to post it. I'm guessing that was just Saionji being Saionji, or am I misremembering?

Though if I am correct, it is fun seeing all the subtle manipulation that Anthy accomplishes so early on in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom