• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm (obviously) new to the site, and I'm also fairly inexperienced with current anime. This thread doesn't seem to be a thread for recommendations, so I don't want to go off-topic, but I would like to know a good place to go for anime recommendations. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Something that always helps me to find the next anime to watch is I do an advanced search on almost any anime site. I just make sure to look for shows made within 2010 - 2013, my genres are comedy, slice of life, and action (only sometimes action), and I also make sure if the anime site is capable of doing it to add genres I don't like, like mecha, yaoi, yuri, and sci-fi.

After I do those 2 things I just look at the anime's that are recommended for me and then start reading the summary's to see which one interests me.

Asking others is fine too because I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread can personally recommend you one. I just find this way easier.

Steroyd

I don't understand why people use shots from that episode as a point of contention— like they're off-model shots or somtehing. Isn't it supposed to look cartoony like that for a fight or something?

It's a very jarring scene to say the least, one second they look normal then someone flips some type of switch and it looks completely different.

Syrinx

No, you're right, and I was thinking about how to account for that but it wasn't entirely necessary to say why Utena is not such a show.
I guess I'd just say that even as bizarre as Adolescence Apocalypse can be, it doesn't generate the reactions to qualify it as a "list" show, aside from maybe that one part.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hey guys, I'm (obviously) new to the site, and I'm also fairly inexperienced with current anime. This thread doesn't seem to be a thread for recommendations, so I don't want to go off-topic, but I would like to know a good place to go for anime recommendations. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate are what come to mind at the moment. There are others.

I am pleased to report that I have just watched Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise, so duckroll can stop shaking his head at me. Very interesting film.

Thank you for the response! My favorites are:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Serial Experiments: Lain
Ghost in the Shell (1 & 2)
Akira

I like shows/movies that are fairly serious in tone, along with being thought provoking.

You have good taste :)

I would recommend Ergo Proxy, Cowboy Bebop and Death Note.

Yes, finally the first to post an impression of an episode here! Too bad it's something as short as Aiura.

Aiura 9

There must be a smart idol somewhere, there are just so many that statistically there's gotta be at least one right? What's that word for women who want to marry into money in japan? Never would've thought
yellow would be that kind of girl but I guess it IS the laziest option for a dream.

Wouldn't anyone be stressed and angry if their friends are at a different school and gave up their swimming dreams after middle school to pursue track and field and etc?

I didn't know that. Where is the info for the character's bio's at? I tried looking it up on google but everything I find is pretty bare with just each persons personality and school year.

Jex

[Aim For The Top 2! Diebuster] 3 (Rewatch)

This is the kind of story that would have benefited from being a stand-alone in a longer show. While I have no qualms with Tycho's story per se (the thing with the earrings is just so Utena*), it does rob the show of a lot of momentum. You barely have any time to build L'alc and Nono's relationship, and to suddenly throw this storyline in here is just... eh. There are some hints at
Nono's true nature
here, but on the whole it just feels like an unnecessary deviation.

How cool would it have been to see a series with all of the Buster pilots fighting for the top? Especially considering how quickly they get disposed of their Buster Machines. The "rivalry" theme they try through introduce here with Tycho and Nono (emulating Freud and Kazumi, natch, even if they later throw a wrench on that idea) would have behooved a longer time-frame.

I agree with you and I basically made those exact same points when I reviewed the series earlier this year. I would find the links, but that takes both time and effort.

Jex

We should do Gainax rankings. Things would get ugly.

I don't know, I wouldn't have too much difficulty ranking their output:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
End of Evangelion
Wings of Honneamise
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Nadia the Secret of Blue Water
FLCL
Gunbuster
DieBuster
Daicon IV
Panty and Stocking
Otaku no Video

All the other shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I am pleased to report that I have just watched Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise, so duckroll can stop shaking his head at me. Very interesting film.
Now make a new GAINAX ranking.
I agree with you and I basically made those exact same points when I reviewed the series earlier this year. I would find the links, but that takes both time and effort.
Worry not, for I read that post of yours.

BluWacky

I don't know, I wouldn't have too much difficulty ranking their output:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
End of Evangelion
Wings of Honneamise
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Nadia the Secret of Blue Water
FLCL
Gunbuster
DieBuster
Daicon IV
Panty and Stocking
Otaku no Video

All the other shit.

Have you seen KareKano? To dismiss it in the same breath as He Is My Master and Dantalian is a sadness.

Also no Re: Cutey Honey? You'd at least like the first ep I think...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Have you seen KareKano? To dismiss it in the same breath as He Is My Master and Dantalian is a sadness.

Episode three is the biggest homage to Evangelion I've seen in anime since RahXePhon. I bet he'd like that too.

Jex

I've seen haven't seen either of those works and therefore I cannot rank them.
Nobita's Dinosaur is better than You are Umasou? Really? Damn, maybe I need to watch it this weekend. How do I know I can trust these impressions though?

It's pretty damn good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
b2P40zK.png

yqWBIVk.png

6SKDN2Y.png

My girl is so swag.

Thank you for the response! My favorites are:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Serial Experiments: Lain
Ghost in the Shell (1 & 2)
Akira

I like shows/movies that are fairly serious in tone, along with being thought provoking.

Colorful (film)
Gauche the Cellist
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Master Keaton
Millennium Actress
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mononoke
Mushishi
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Perfect Blue
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Tatami Galaxy
Time of Eve
Tokyo Godfathers
Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko
Wandering Son
Whisper of the Heart
Wolf Children

Sorry for not going in depth, but this list should give you a good start at least.

Jex

Is it okay to watch Getter Robo Armageddon if I haven't ever watched any Getter Robo? I feel like it isn't.

Most of those Getter Robo OVA's are completely standalone in that they don't require you to know anything. Robots powered by Getter Energy punch stuff - that's it.

Jex

No one is making me either! :p

Also I'm just not a fan of lists in general, they're fun but also very content light. So far all I've learned from these Gainax lists is that I'll never look at Kuwabara the same way again.

And is that not enough of a reason to welcome the laziness of lists? What we learn about each other is clearly the most important part of list making!

Jex

Getter Robo Armageddon : 04

What the hell... I never thought they'd take this direction, awesome.

Neither did they. The director up and left the series so they had to come up with something else.
I remember him posting impressions about a show called Marco or 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother which I believe is from the seventies and other maybe more famous works such as some Gundam and Legend of the Galactic Heroes and others from around that time period.

I must have forgotten about the earlier ones from the 20s and 30s though.

Incidentally, if people want to check out anime from that period there's a bunch of it on YouTube, see here.

Rayearth

Neo Member
Well the show did get better as it went on, what episodes are in volume 5?

Second half of the Pravda battle and a rest/mid-season upgrade episode right before the final battle. It also has the 5th OVA that stands out among the others in that they introduce one of the loaders of the Pravda KV-2 crew.

It might be that we're seeing a growth in sales in later volumes because this one may be the first volume that isn't supply constrained in the first week.

Volume 6 sales might be even better, given that Actas took three months just to do those last two episodes.

What astounds me, though, are the sales of GuP related items on other fronts.

13, 8,039 *8,039 Girls und Panzer Drama CD "Kondo wa Drama CD desu!"
May 13-19 LN/Books said:
*4, 15,694 *15,694 Achtung Girls und Panzer Official Tank Guidebook
The JSDF documentary DVDs:
2,482&#12288;21,789&#12288;&#12424;&#12367;&#12431;&#12363;&#12427;&#65281;&#38520;&#19978;&#33258;&#34907;&#38538;&#65374;&#38520;&#12398;&#29579;&#32773;&#65281;&#26085;&#26412;&#12434;&#23432;&#12427;&#25126;&#36554;&#12398;&#27508;&#21490;&#65374;&#12288;<--- Voiced by Yukari
1,601&#12288;*8,213&#12288;&#12424;&#12367;&#12431;&#12363;&#12427;&#65281;&#33322;&#31354;&#33258;&#34907;&#38538;&#65374;&#32202;&#24613;&#30330;&#36914;&#65281;&#26085;&#26412;&#12434;&#23432;&#12427;&#25126;&#38360;&#27231;&#65374;&#12288;
1,348&#12288;*7,383&#12288;&#12424;&#12367;&#12431;&#12363;&#12427;&#65281;&#28023;&#19978;&#33258;&#34907;&#38538;&#65374;&#28023;&#19978;&#38450;&#34907;&#65281;&#35703;&#34907;&#33382;&#65374;&#12288;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's too bad that we'll probably never know what Jonathan Klondike would do for a Klondike Bar.

For that armor-plated bishie loaded big and thick no room for a stiii-iiiiiiiiiick
what would you doooooooOOOOOOooooooooooooo

cnet128

Banned
I haven't seen all that many Gainax anime, but since it seems to be hip around here to make Gainax lists today, I'll rank the ones I have seen:

Gurren Lagann
Hanamaru Youchien
Panty and Stocking
Evangelion

...I didn't enjoy Eva that much, all right? >.>

Crunchyroll got DD Fist of the North Star
4dc0b7ac3f1a68607761df243340b1f31370367800_full.jpg

Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star is doubling up Crunchyroll duties with his starring role in the super-deformed anime spin-off DD Fist of the North Star. The series starts streaming today at 5pm Pacific.

Episodes 1 and 2 kick the festivities off this week, with three episodes to be added each following week at 12pm Pacific. The series will be available to premium users in North and South America, Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand. Free users will also be able to access the series in the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and South Africa.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Crunchyroll got DD Fist of the North Star

Kenshiro of Fist of the North Star is doubling up Crunchyroll duties with his starring role in the super-deformed anime spin-off DD Fist of the North Star. The series starts streaming today at 5pm Pacific.

Episodes 1 and 2 kick the festivities off this week, with three episodes to be added each following week at 12pm Pacific. The series will be available to premium users in North and South America, Africa, Middle East, Australia, and New Zealand. Free users will also be able to access the series in the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and South Africa.

Awesome. Will watch.

And is that not enough of a reason to welcome the laziness of lists? What we learn about each other is clearly the most important part of list making!

But then I'll lose my right to dislike blogs that resort to top whatever lists! Won't somebody please think of my high horse?!

Alright here's my ill informed ranking of Gainax stuff

Good/decent stuff

Evangelion TV
End of Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Panty and Stocking
His and Her Circumstances
Abenobashi
Hanamaru Kindergarten
Mahoromatic S1
Evangelion Rebuild 1 and 2
Wish Upon the Pleiades

Terribad stuff

Evangelion rebuild 3

Everything else I haven't seen.
Edit: oh wait I did see Evangelion Death and Rebirth too but I don't think that is something that should be ranked.

edit 2: BAH, Rebuild movies don't count as Gainax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom