• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I liked Haruhi overall but it could've definitely used some pruning (and I'm not just talking about E8). Tamako Market would've been way better without Choi and the dumb marriage thing and just focused on the Market aspect of it. It still would've been a poor mans Soredemo but a much better one than the one we got.

zeroshiki

Not to stir the Nichijou hornet's nest yet again but if the jokes weren't so few and far in between, the show would probably have been better received. The show just meandered alot.

shots fired!

Direct hit to the heart.

tumblr_m420587Kzk1r8058ko1_400.gif

Tamerlane

Banned
I dunno if I even feel the movie is better than the series. As a whole, maaaaaaybe. I just find the material too inconsistent to really enjoy completely. Some episodes of Haruhi were really good, some were just a waste of time. The movie felt the same way - when it was good, it was amazing, but then you realize that outside of that there's still over 2 hours of material which is less enjoyable. Bloated. :/

I think this is a fair assessment. Although I would say certain parts of the Haruhi movie feel closer to what I got Hyouka than the wacky comedy setting of the show in terms of being more deliberate and slower paced and whatever. I'm still confused why that show got so popular.

zeroshiki

I thought the non-Yamakan episodes of Lucky Star were entertaining. I'm not sure if funny is the word since I don't remember laughing out loud much but I was sufficiently entertained.

Jintor

And Kyon.

Or maybe just Sugita.

I thought the non-Yamakan episodes of Lucky Star were entertaining. I'm not sure if funny is the word since I don't remember laughing out loud much but I was sufficiently entertained.

Lucky Star is very difficult to go back to. I remember it being entertaining though so I'll just never watch it again I guess.

I also remember the distinct feeling it took until episode 7 for it to 'click' with me, which is a lot goddamn longer than I'd give an anime I wasn't enjoying today, so maybe I just had higher tolerance back then.

duckroll

I think this is a fair assessment. Although I would say certain parts of the Haruhi movie feel closer to what I got Hyouka than the wacky comedy setting of the show in terms of being more deliberate and slower paced and whatever. I'm still confused why that show got so popular.

I agree. I think KyoAni is at their best when they depict character interactions in a realistic and uncompromising way without needing to add distractions which make something more dramatic or exciting or fantastic. The depiction of Nagato as a person in the Haruhi is the only reason to watch it, and everything else is just lame wacky hijinx which cheapen the overall film.

If you ever watch Tamako Market, I think you'll see what I mean when comparing ep9 with the rest of the series. There are some other episodes I enjoyed in the series too, but it was pretty middling overall, yet ep9 stands as a testament that if they had gone in that direction for the series instead, they could have created a masterpiece like Hyouka. :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
I agree. I think KyoAni is at their best when they depict character interactions in a realistic and uncompromising way without needing to add distractions which make something more dramatic or exciting or fantastic. The depiction of Nagato as a person in the Haruhi is the only reason to watch it, and everything else is just lame wacky hijinx which cheapen the overall film.
sounds like lightnovelitis

Lucky Star had its moments, but not enough for a 24 episode series. It's funnier than Nichijou at least.

Tamerlane

Banned

If you ever watch Tamako Market, I think you'll see what I mean when comparing ep9 with the rest of the series. There are some other episodes I enjoyed in the series too, but it was pretty middling overall, yet ep9 stands as a testament that if they had gone in that direction for the series instead, they could have created a masterpiece like Hyouka. :(

It's funny that the big dramatic climax of the Haruhi movie is the protag choosing to toss the world where all the character development happened into the inferno for the sake of the one where the female lead sadistically torments the time travel chick for laughs. It's like a metaphor for the series' priorities

duckroll

It's funny that the big dramatic climax of the Haruhi movie is the protag choosing to toss the world where all the character development happened into the inferno for the sake of the one where the female lead sadistically torments the time travel chick for laughs. It's like a metaphor for the series' priorities

I prefer to think of the Haruhi movie as a film about
how the main character makes a poor choice and then dies horribly in the end because of it. I just turn it off after that scene happens, and it's suddenly 90% better!

Dresden

hai

Hyouka
Endless Eight
K-ON!!
about four episodes of Tamako Market
one half of Nichijou
Disappearance
K-ON!
FMP: Fumoffu
the other half of Nichijou
the rest of Tamako Market
FMP: Second Raid
that one commercial they did
Haruhi
better half of chu2
Clannad
stuff
chu2drama

have not seen: After Story; most of the KEY stuff; Lucky Star
intend on seeing: After Story

I haven't watched any of it in a while, but it's not something I'd recommend. I wonder how it would hold up nowadays considering how reference heavy it was.

Well it's more that I need to just shift away from this genre among other things mainly because it feels like I'm just forcing myself to do so honestly. Either that or something seems like a great twist on a genre, which would be enough to watch. I think Utena, for example, might be one of those series despite my fatigue with Mahou Shoujos.

fertygo

It's at least an hour too long. Everything after Kyon hits enter drags terribly.

Maybe... they could had more sharper script, since a lot already repeated in the series but I never really had a problem while watching it, the directing help a lot.. Its certainly the best experience that I have with Haruhi, and I'm not too high with the series either.

Well it's more that I need to just shift away from this genre among other things mainly because it feels like I'm just forcing myself to do so honestly. Either that or something seems like a great twist on a genre, which would be enough to watch. I think Utena, for example, might be one of those series despite my fatigue with Mahou Shoujos.

I wouldn't really call Utena a Mahou Shoujo, at least it's unique enough that genre fatigue shouldn't be a problem. If you are looking for something that's twisting on conventions, you should watch it, it's a great show. But yeah, forcing yourself to watch things is not a good idea.

fertygo

Its funny to complain Disappearance was bloated while Hyouka also have many episode with character only sitting in a chair, I love both equally.

Btw list time

Disappearance
Hyouka {tied)
Nichijou sakuga youtube video
Second Raid
K-On movie
Tamako Market
Haruhi TV
Chooney

I wouldn't really call Utena a Mahou Shoujo, at least it's unique enough that genre fatigue shouldn't be a problem. If you are looking for something that's twisting on conventions, you should watch it, it's a great show. But yeah, forcing yourself to watch things is not a good idea.

Definitely not. Granted with CCS, I'm not sure if it's really fatigue or rather the filler is just uninteresting because it doesn't really play with its strengths, or because I'm tired, or just because I took a break from it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Utena is really not a "mahou shoujo" in the sense that Sailor Moon or Precure are. It just happens to star a girl and have some magic.

Its funny to complain Disappearance was bloated while Hyouka also have many episode with character only sitting in a chair, I love both equally.

Btw list time

Disappearance
Hyouka {tied)
Nichijou sakuga youtube video
Second Raid
K-On movie
Tamako Market
Haruhi TV
Chooney

Where's Fumoffu? And K-On TV for that matter.

Metrotab

Banned
Lucky Star was my first non-childhood anime. I was utterly confused by it, but the underlying arc of friends growing up and graduating from school spoke to me deeply because I had just graduated from high school myself.

I'll rewatch it at some point, but watching those last few episodes (when the show really shined in my opinion) was a pretty magical experience. It's what sold me on anime.

wonzo

Banned
Looks like spoilers are out for the final OreImo volume and
there's really no defending of this vile shit now. ~incest end~

I just think of them as YA novels here - with all the range and variance in subject & quality it entails.

Ok yeah, that makes a fair amount of sense. Now I'm just mad thinking about the people ignoring YA novels because of the label. There are grown people out there who've never read The Phantom Tollbooth! Kids Adults these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom