• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardcaptor Sakura 33

UNYA

A bit of reminder that plot exists, but doesn't do too much out of what we already know, that there's something up with the teacher. A little more Li getting a bit flustered with Sakura despite his hard on for Yukito.

Ice skating's the name of the game. If you think that's cold, come live in Alaska during the winter. Should be fine!

It also serves as a reminder that character relations are one of its better suits, as it seems to be the primary way of developing someone in this series, considering there's a whole lot of status quos to be met for the characters. Meilin is a waste a space so far.

More unyas pls, and more on the mysterious hot teacher too.

Tamerlane

Banned
Hyouka - all of it

Wow. What an incredible show. Though most here have probably seen it and have already formed an opinion, on the off chance someone reading this hasn't, maybe my masturbatory prose analysis will convince them to watch this masterpiece!

Saying this show has "good animation", while correct, is misleading. It's the excellent direction and cinematography that makes it work. Canted shots are balanced by the serene pacing, the wonderful sound design, and the fact that everything is constantly bathed in soft, warm light, like living photography, so that despite the dramatic staging it's a really chill experience. As such I wasn't bothered as much by the slower first half because the moment-to-moment direction was so superb and relaxing. Even if you take out the frequent quirky visual metaphor bits the aesthetic of this show is unmatched. KyoAni have earned their rep. I believe that even with a smaller budget the only loss would be verisimilitude and not quality.

While the characterization is also excellent, I feel Hyouka is far more allegorical than it lets on, in the sense that its characters represent psychological ideas more than independent agents. They push the thematic center forward: in my view, it's the nature and representation of past time through memories, histories, etc. Oreki is introduced as someone wholly living in the present, without any sentiment or distractions. His worldview is utilitarian to an absurd degree and, worse than cynical, he doesn't seem to perceive value in anything. Yet the world of the show wholly contradicts him by being intimately concerned in preserving the past and developing the present into the past. Many of the mysteries revolve around methods of recording: video, newspapers, archived literary journals and so on. The process of investigation itself can be seen as the constructing of hypothetical pasts, and so in becoming a great detective Oreki must free himself from his dispassion. This emphasis on past time extends to the club members. Satoshi and Mayaka are connected to Oreki through middle school, and Satoshi repeatedly describes himself as being a database of memory. Chitanda is the most direct challenge to Oreki's worldview, by being engaged in these investigative pasts literally all the time. Meaning is then born out of these pasts, and the show conveys it through a myriad of subtle means: with Japanese traditions becoming the setting for many of the later episodes, with Oreki's relationship to his sister (his only displayed familial connection) developing, and so on. All of these forces are meant to act on Oreki and make him reconsider his utilitarian mandate.

In this sense, Hyouka is more like a bildungsroman than a pure character piece, or rather, it is up until the point at which Oreki matures a bit and the rest of the cast go from being a symbolic force for change into real, living people. It's a simple idea but it's delivered potently, with none of the character development feeling pressured or forced (they don't do a complete 180 with the MC's personality at the end of the show as if to prove he's "developed"). This intense unity between the nostalgic cinematography and the theme of remembrance is the single biggest reason why Hyouka is exceptional imo.

Even though it's more strictly a "drama", I think slice of life is a fitting description Hyouka since the average episode will take a mundane or trivial aspect of life and dissect and analyze it under the pretense of being a mystery. It's about forging meaning through the seemingly meaningless, which to Oreki probably is a mystery. Once that clicked, I didn't have any issues with the fact something like a missing book would be treated as serious as murder by the four leads. The individual arcs stand out too. There are a lot of clever things in the self contained mysteries, like during the festival arc the apparent parallel of Oreki making equal exchanges with visitors while the thief looted the other clubs, or the confused authorship stuff during the film arc. In fact the only bad things I can say about this show is that the OP/ED was mediocre and KyoAni eyes creep me out.

So yeah, even if I'm a shit writer, do not let that deter you from watching this show! It's convinced me to finally go through my KyoAni backlog.

I guess on to K-On two exclamation marks. Can I skip to the second season without having seen the first?

CorvoSol

FMP Sigma

Thought I'd share this humorous line. Some spoilers for Full Metal Panic! Sigma follow:

-Kaname to Leonard: "You're really gross. In the class next to mine, there was a fat guy, he weighed about 100 kilos, and was always sweating and breathing heavily. He was always looking at girls pervertedly. If I had to choose between that guy and you as my boyfriend, I'd rather die."

I guess on to K-On two exclamation marks. Can I skip to the second season without having seen the first?

I wouldn't. K-ON! introduces the characters and establishes the world they inhabit. K-ON!! is what happens after that.

As for Hyouka,
God that ending made me angry. That's it? Really? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hyouka - all of it

Wow. What an incredible show. Though most here have probably seen it and have already formed an opinion, on the off chance someone reading this hasn't, maybe my masturbatory prose analysis will convince them to watch this masterpiece!

Saying this show has "good animation", while correct, is misleading. It's the excellent direction and cinematography that makes it work. Canted shots are balanced by the serene pacing, the wonderful sound design, and the fact that everything is constantly bathed in soft, warm light, like living photography, so that despite the dramatic staging it's a really chill experience. As such I wasn't bothered as much by the slower first half because the moment-to-moment direction was so superb and relaxing. Even if you take out the frequent quirky visual metaphor bits the aesthetic of this show is unmatched. KyoAni have earned their rep. I believe that even with a smaller budget the only loss would be verisimilitude and not quality.

While the characterization is also excellent, I feel Hyouka is far more allegorical than it lets on, in the sense that its characters represent psychological ideas more than independent agents. They push the thematic center forward: in my view, it's the nature and representation of past time through memories, histories, etc. Oreki is introduced as someone wholly living in the present, without any sentiment or distractions. His worldview is utilitarian to an absurd degree and, worse than cynical, he doesn't seem to perceive value in anything. Yet the world of the show wholly contradicts him by being intimately concerned in preserving the past and developing the present into the past. Many of the mysteries revolve around methods of recording: video, newspapers, archived literary journals and so on. The process of investigation itself can be seen as the constructing of hypothetical pasts, and so in becoming a great detective Oreki must free himself from his dispassion. This emphasis on past time extends to the club members. Satoshi and Mayaka are connected to Oreki through middle school, and Satoshi repeatedly describes himself as being a database of memory. Chitanda is the most direct challenge to Oreki's worldview, by being engaged in these investigative pasts literally all the time. Meaning is then born out of these pasts, and the show conveys it through a myriad of subtle means: with Japanese traditions becoming the setting for many of the later episodes, with Oreki's relationship to his sister (his only displayed familial connection) developing, and so on. All of these forces are meant to act on Oreki and make him reconsider his utilitarian mandate.

In this sense, Hyouka is more like a bildungsroman than a pure character piece, or rather, it is up until the point at which Oreki matures a bit and the rest of the cast go from being a symbolic force for change into real, living people. It's a simple idea but it's delivered potently, with none of the character development feeling pressured or forced (they don't do a complete 180 with the MC's personality at the end of the show as if to prove he's "developed"). This intense unity between the nostalgic cinematography and the theme of remembrance is the single biggest reason why Hyouka is exceptional imo.

Even though it's more strictly a "drama", I think slice of life is a fitting description Hyouka since the average episode will take a mundane or trivial aspect of life and dissect and analyze it under the pretense of being a mystery. It's about forging meaning through the seemingly meaningless, which to Oreki probably is a mystery. Once that clicked, I didn't have any issues with the fact something like a missing book would be treated as serious as murder by the four leads. The individual arcs stand out too. There are a lot of clever things in the self contained mysteries, like during the festival arc the apparent parallel of Oreki making equal exchanges with visitors while the thief looted the other clubs, or the confused authorship stuff during the film arc. In fact the only bad things I can say about this show is that the OP/ED was mediocre and KyoAni eyes creep me out.

So yeah, even if I'm a shit writer, do not let that deter you from watching this show! It's convinced me to finally go through my KyoAni backlog.

this makes up for kenya boy and angel's egg

I give your review 9.5 goku dopplers out of ten (I liked the OPs and EDs)

also, K-ON! is decent so just watch it anyways

Jewelpet Kira Deco! - 2

For a kids show, the comedic timing is really snappy, way more than I expected judging from hosanna's impressions.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! A few of the episodes are slower, but the majority of them keep the humor coming at a sharp pace. The best episodes keep the weirdness coming so fast and furious that all I can do is stare agape at the screen.

Angela and Labra are the best and their voices are so funny to me. Labra is clearly too OP. Who knows what else she can do!

Angela and Labra are basically the mascots of the series. Their speech tics never stop being adorable.

What other KyoAni shows are good?

None are as good as Hyouka but the best follow up would be the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, just make sure you watch it in broadcast order rather than chronological order.

Other great ones that are totally different are their comedies like Nichijou and Full Metal Panic:Fumoffu. If you're willing to go through the original series then the FMP: The Second Raid is another Kyoani classic.

edit:booo! scratch that, turns out you didn't like haruhi :/

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! A few of the episodes are slower, but the majority of them keep the humor coming at a sharp pace. The best episodes keep the weirdness coming so fast and furious that all I can do is stare agape at the screen.

And it's not even that. There have been a few times so far where some jokes come and go so fast I end up pausing and rewinding because I feel like I missed something. I definitely approve!

You'll probably appreciate season 2 more if you see the first season. And it's animation is probably not as good as K-ON!!, but K-ON! is still well animated.

Not many imo. :(

But one of the episodes of Tamako Market (i think 9?) is the best episode of anime I've seen this year so far. Too bad about the rest of the show.

This almost makes me regret dropping Tamako Market after 5 episodes. Can I just skip to episode 9?

And believe it or not, there are people who like K-ON! more than K-ON!!
I'm actually one of them. It's probably because I marathoned the series and liked it more when it was more novel.

Tamerlane

Banned
The Haruhi film is damn good.

The series I go back and forth on, but I wouldn't call it crap.

Haruhi film is at least better than the series, but hindered by a lot of the same problems the series had (good direction though!).

Also does KyoAni have any auteurs or is it more of a collab studio? There seems to be a fairly clear line between their Art stuff and their Profit stuff so I'm wondering if that's why

zeroshiki

Yeah, K-On!! is vastly superior to K-On! (and the movie superior to both) but you'll be missing a lot if you skip out on the first one.

FMP:F is excellent too and requires little to no knowledge of the universe to be enjoyed.

duckroll

This almost makes me regret dropping Tamako Market after 5 episodes. Can I just skip to episode 9?

If you know who the characters are, sure. It's mostly a stand alone major character development episode. Great stuff. I *think* it's 9. Someone else should probably confirm.

duckroll

Haruhi film is at least better than the series, but hindered by a lot of the same problems the series had (good direction though!).

I dunno if I even feel the movie is better than the series. As a whole, maaaaaaybe. I just find the material too inconsistent to really enjoy completely. Some episodes of Haruhi were really good, some were just a waste of time. The movie felt the same way - when it was good, it was amazing, but then you realize that outside of that there's still over 2 hours of material which is less enjoyable. Bloated. :/

Hattori

Banned
If you know who the characters are, sure. It's mostly a stand alone major character development episode. Great stuff. I *think* it's 9. Someone else should probably confirm.

I kinda like tamako market... Anywho if its about the
love song
then yeah it's 9

zeroshiki

Its important to look at WHO in KyoAni is making the series too.

Takemoto/Gatoh shows are glorious. Yamada/Yoshida do cute girls doing cute things. Ishihara handles the Key-shit and Utsumi will apparently be doing :dtl stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom