• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky Star 10

hfjhyfZl.jpg

I recognize you from Disgaea 4!

I really enjoy these sudden art shift this shows does. Completely unexpected and always fun to watch when it happens.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I was totally gonna watch the third episode of Clannad as I'm doing laundry, right as I'm about to press play, tons of neighbors walk in to the laundry room drink for no fucking reason. FFS.

Alright guys, I can't sleep and part of what's keeping me up is that I can't for the life of me remember what this anime was. I saw a blog post about it years and years ago and all I can remember about it is that it was an OVA that either had two episodes or two discrete parts, maybe an omnibus of sorts, and somewhere during the OVA it features an airplane turning into a fish in the sky. Clearly it's something surreal and what more do I need to know that I need to see this? Oh that's right, the FREAKING NAME! This is what life is like without MAL/writing things down folks and it's terrible.

Hattori

Banned
The PV had nice backgrounds and was lovely animated, though it would still prefer more Kumeta artstyle looking characters.

wow just saw the original art style, yeah this one really sucks in comparison

I had to google what you meant by Kumeta art style lol

Alright guys, I can't sleep and part of what's keeping me up is that I can't for the life of me remember what this anime was. I saw a blog post about it years and years ago and all I can remember about it is that it was an OVA that either had two episodes or two discrete parts, maybe an omnibus of sorts, and somewhere during the OVA it features an airplane turning into a fish in the sky. Clearly it's something surreal and what more do I need to know that I need to see this? Oh that's right, the FREAKING NAME! This is what life is like without MAL/writing things down folks and it's terrible.

Twilight Q. You're thinking of the second episode, Mystery Article File 538, directed by Mamoru Oshii. It's super creepy and surreal, definitely worth watching.

Jex

That's Twilight Q: Mystery Article File 538.

fertygo

Dai Guard - 03

Damn this is a great episode.. super robot in realistic environment! must paying settlement for the damage around the town. the comedy aspect blending really well, Mizushima used to be good director. And Imaishi do this episode storyboard? that also explain a thing.

3zV8Jfp.jpg
mUM1KLA.jpg

What kind of Rocket Punch is that

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 3:
I find that this show is much more interesting and dynamic when there's no fighting going on (although this episode's fight had some good moments). The character drama and cultural differences between Ledo and the people of Gargantia are generally more exciting than the fights we've gotten so far. I was interested by just what the reaction to the events of last episode wound up being.
I was thinking they were going to be terrified by Ledo's power, but instead they were mostly just freaked out because he killed all those people and made a bigger target of them. I felt like that worked very well within this story, and it also reflects reality fairly well. Making too much of a 'statement' and going to that level is going to make you perceived as a threat. It's better to just do well enough to protect yourself and make coming after you feel like a hassle.

We didn't get as many scenes with Amy as in the previous two episodes, but she still has some good moments. I liked that even though she was upset, she was willing to push past things and also took the time to help Ledo understand why people reacted the way they did.
The final scene with her and Ledo trying to express gratitude was great. Hilarious, but also heart warming.

Cardcaptor Sakura 36 new OP

J8QLOzS.gif

It's certainly no "Catch You, Catch Me". Don't worry, though, the third opening is great.

Cardcaptor Sakura 32

Clearly Tomoyo is the smartest fucking character out of the group. She realized that Kero was actually Li and vice versa because she's smart like that, on top of realizing that not-Li was not where they left him.

Actually why was the bag blue or something.

Oh yeah, body swapping, and Li getting a facefull of Sakura chest. I missed when there was some plotline going on. Meilin is pretty stupid, it took her forever to fully realize that it wasn't Li, but Kero in Li's body. What a shitty "fiancee"

OceanBlue

Watamote is by Oonuma? Another reason to wait for impressions. :<
Yep, that hypnobutt.

But for me this LN has the most difficult Waifu ranking, I just can't decide the first place.

Rias=Koneko=Irina=Akeno>Ravel=Serafall=Xenovia>Rossweisse

And the list continue...

It's easy for me, lol. Koneko is my favorite. Asia and Ravel are up there too. I guess I like the first years in the LN.

Aren't you missing Gasper and female Yuuto? :D

CorvoSol

Slayers NEXT 12

So it turns out that the true mastermind behind this nonsense in Seyruun is
Alfred, Prince Christopher's son.
However,
he is betrayed by the Monsters he hired, who are working for Gaav, the Demon Dragon King, Ganon cosplayer,
and
not
this season's big bad.

Something I find odd, though, about all of Lina's encounters with Monsters is that NO ONE brings up that little tidbit where she KILLED THE KING OF THE MONSTERS AND GOD OF EVIL. I mean, it just seems odd. You'd think it'd've made her famous among Monsters or something.

Also of note: Gourry's Sword of Light has several notable properties: it has a beam saber that cuts non-enchanted blades, it can kill Monsters (even Jennifer, except when she was dating Rezo), and it amplifies the power of spells cast onto it. So when Lina used it with the Giga Slave, it amplified that, or when Zel and Amelia used Ra Tilt and Elmekia Lance on it, same deal.

So why, in a team with three magic users, doesn't anybody bother to help Gourry use Magic Sword more often?

fertygo

This show continues to surprise with the animation quality. Who knew to expect this from Studio Gokumi?

Little studio that only have one work in a season often bring surprisingly good look in their work.

Example: Code Breaker, Mysterious Girlfriend etc.

Time management just as important as budget.

Hideaki Anno, Miori Takimoto, Hidetoshi Nishijima, Masahiko Nishimura, Steven Alpert, Morio Kazama, Keiko Takeshita, Mirai Shida / Jun Kunimura / Shinobu Otake, Mansai Nomura
I wonder what sort of character this guy's playing and if he'll speak Japanese or English.

The Devil is a Part-Timer 3:
Chiho is adorable. I loved all of her scenes in this episode, and her interactions with Maou were great. There's a lot of story starting to pick up, and some different breadcrumbs that will be important in the future, but I'm not sure where things are going yet (though those phone conversations were intriguing).

There were some really hilarious moments in this episode. Probably my favorite bit was when
Emi is complaining about the hassle they caused her by need her to come over as their guarantor, and they're just like "Well, yeah, causing trouble for heroes is what we do."
It was a perfect scene, and I bust out laughing. I also really enjoyed all the Ashiya/Emi scenes in this episode, particularly Ashiya's horrible attempts at subtlety.

Hells (Madhouse film)

The visuals and art style were great and I enjoyed the first half of the film, but the last hour is pretty awful. This film was horribly paced and needed to be considerably shorter. The attempts at philosophizing and serious drama felt flat and due to the pacing, were mostly boring. It would have been better bettor off as a shorter film with more comedy and by keeping the drama personal rather than bringing in biblical nonsense.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 30

GLEMY. HEY. HEY GLEMY. ROUX AIN'T NEVER GONNA RETURN YOUR FECTIONS. JUST GET OVER IT. LIKE SERIOUSLY. How many people have to die before Glemy gets over this girl?

Also: this episode I learned that there is indeed a difference between piloting a Blue Zaku and a Gouf. As in these Blue Zakus whomped.

Jintor

I know they're mainly just trying to emphasise the difference in eyecolour, but the way they make the pupil so tiny relative to the iris makes them all look somehow... off

fertygo

ZZ Gundam 30

GLEMY. HEY. HEY GLEMY. ROUX AIN'T NEVER GONNA RETURN YOUR FECTIONS. JUST GET OVER IT. LIKE SERIOUSLY. How many people have to die before Glemy gets over this girl?

Also: this episode I learned that there is indeed a difference between piloting a Blue Zaku and a Gouf. As in these Blue Zakus whomped.

No one want to lose best girl in the franchise.

Dynedom

Now and Then, Here and There 1

This was quite the opening episode. We have our genki as fuck protag, some adorable soulless girl and some kind of future (other dimension?) organization that's pursuing her. I really dig the soundtrack for this, and the battle scene was nice to look at. I think I remember seeing something about this show being depressing as fuck, but we'll just see how depressing it is!

350662-big_boss_salute.jpg

CorvoSol

No one want to lose best girl in the franchise.

That was Lt. Emma. Although Roux is definitely a solid 2nd. But Glemy can't lose what he never had.

The Count of Monte Cristo 22

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!

THE GUY IN THE OPENING NARRATION TALKING ABOUT HIS FRIEND IS
Gankutsuo, and his friend is Edmond Dantes
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I was right, as it happens. Rather than meet the saintly and acerbic Abbe Faria in Chateau D'Iff,
this version has the Count meet the demonic and vengeful Gankutsuo. Which explains, rather neatly, why the Count is so much more sinister in this version. Although its something of a shame, as Abbe Faria is one of my favorite characters in the story.

Meanwhile,
Fernand Mondego has taken over Paris, leaving the hope of a mecha showdown between him and The Count.

Andreia Cavalcanti
is SO bishi his hair LITERALLY sparkles. At the same time,
I'm pretty sure Baron Danglars is having sex with bars of gold.

What do you mean
The Count sitting in Jesus' place at the Last Supper
isn't symbolic?

FUCK YES FERNAND IS IN HIS MECH. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE LET THEM HAVE A GIANT ROBOT BATTLE. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE LET THERE BE A GIANT ROBOT BATTLE.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! - 1

What can I say? This is gleefully absurd in the most harmless way. It's hard to not be entertained in some way. A lot of my enjoyment from this episode came from the visual gags like the adorable "police" alpaca/bear combo, the 3D glasses above, and the Deco Bus. It's all very on the nose about the premise and world as well which was highlighted for me during the scene where Sapphi acts as a "teacher" to the other Jewelpets.

I also liked how serious they are about their bedazzled smartphones.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 3

The humor in this show can be hit and miss, but when it's good really good. The "1oo years in the future" gag was pretty well delivered.

wonzo

Banned
Girls und Panzer OVA5

moetanksova5.jpg

yukari's p. much the anime solid snake but with the cardbox box replaced with even more militiech fetishism and moe

CorvoSol

Godannar 3

Wait. Hold. The. Phone.

There's a Dino base? A DINO BASE? WITH GIANT ROBOTS? Why the hell am I watching what's going on with Goh and Anna in Japan when I could be watching DINO BASE WITH GIANT ROBOTS?

Priorities.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Clannad 4

:SDBurton up in this shit oh lord

I love the give-each-other-shit bro relationship between Tomoya and Youhei. :lol so good.

Godannar 3

Wait. Hold. The. Phone.

There's a Dino base? A DINO BASE? WITH GIANT ROBOTS? Why the hell am I watching what's going on with Goh and Anna in Japan when I could be watching DINO BASE WITH GIANT ROBOTS?

Priorities.

:lol you're gonna love this show, I told you.

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan 2

This show is too heavy for me. Bread rape or no. Goddamn show is heavy as hell. Freaking when
Grampa hands Armin his hat
, man. Damn.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! - 1

I also liked how serious they are about their bedazzled smartphones.

Deco is serious business. Speaking of which...

Jewelpet Kira Deco 30

Our heroes visit a village which turns all the virtues of Jewel Town on their head. Deco is hated and worthless; they use it as tissues and recoil in disgust at the Jewelpets' sparkly eyes. Blue is shocked to find that he is no longer the standard of masculine attractiveness, instead this guy is:

kWmkQrv.jpg

Those stylish egg cartons.

This character reminded me of some of the more exotic side characters in Milky Holmes.

I really enjoyed the way the scenario pricked the main characters' vanity. Denied the female approval he craves, his aesthetic standards trampled on, Blue is continually mortified. Meanwhile, Pink, whose main desire in life is to become a stylish Shibuya high schooler, is picked by the above gorilla to become his fourth wife (!) because he sees through her elaborate decorations to the plain beauty underneath. He performs a makeover dragging her back to the frumpy girl she thought she had left behind for good:

Before
aoNiWpX.jpg

After
OYruWzS.jpg

I don't know what it says about me that I find the after picture more appealing. I suppose I go for that wild, natural type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom