• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ultimately the disconnect with Oreimo is the difference between shows that provide enough for the audience to fill the blanks on their own (see SDBurton's goggles) and shows that actually go to those places. Both are common, so it's not like people are idiots for expecting the former.

e_i

NISA Adds Yuruyuri School Comedy Anime Series

mBgMdPf.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Please feature this quote in the next OT so we can have faith restored in the medium.
I'll do you even better:

Sword Art Online is the worst anime ever. I would almost love the fact that anime can be so terrible, if it didn't mean dragging down the entire medium in the eyes of people who think cartoons are for manchildren.

"Sword Art Online is anime. I love anime." -firehawk12

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh this one is As Long As There's Love, It Doesn't Matter If He Is My Brother, Right!? then.

You need to come up with a catchy title then!
I think I called OniAi I WANT TO FUCK MY BROTHER, which got shorted to Brother Fucker by someone else, because it's from the perspective of the sister. lol

Narag

I'll do you even better:

Sword Art Online is the worst anime ever. I would almost love the fact that anime can be so terrible, if it didn't mean dragging down the entire medium in the eyes of people who think cartoons are for manchildren.

I think this is how games journalism works. If only you had tweeted that.

Midonin

I am wanting to buy a few Geneon OSTs that are only available in Japan. Is cdjapan a good source to buy from or would buying from Amazon.com or Amazon.jp be better?
I've been using CDJapan for years. And would totally recommend them. Amazon US is more expensive and Amazon Japan mostly only ships inside of Japan. CDJapan is my preferred choice here.

Here are my reasons, where is Ophis, Elmenhilde and Gabriel??????????????

And Kuroka should be in the first place with the other three.

In my defence my list is still in progress.

I love the series too, the battle with Sairaorg is my favorite.

You're right, i forgot about ophis but she isn't a female ( doesn't count )

Elmenhilde is a b*tch and is unlikable ATM. ( seriously ?) She arrived, pissed All the cast in less than 4 sentences and the cast include devils, half angels, angel & vampires ... she is in no position to be in a list.
Besides we don't have an apperance for her yet.

As for Gabriel, we don't know enough for her to be on a list. ( no fight , no picture , no info ) Yeah she might be beautifull but without a picture you can't put her on a list.

Sairaorg Battle is obviously the best part of the franchise so far. DAT fist fight.

Sorry but that seems to be pretty wishful thinking to me. Unlike Bunny Drop, Kirino was sexualized by the male gaze of the camera(and implicitly, the main character) from the very beginning. Not to mention the subject matter. And the title.

The male gaze was for the audience, not the main character (prior to season 2).

As for the subject matter, it was never treated as anything sexual (again prior to season 2), but rather as a means for the siblings to re-connect after ignoring each other for a few years. It was less "oh shit, my sister plays eroge and that totally gives me a boner" and more "oh shit, my super popular sister is an otaku and I have to keep it a secret".

The title seemed like it was referring to Kirino's infatuation with little sister games more than Kyosuke's infatuation with her (especially since he essentially hates her for a good chunk of season 1), but yeah...

I guess their moving more and more to BD only releases.
Very poor decision then, if that's the case. :(

So Kirino really is his blood sister? I don't know.
Ultimately the disconnect with Oreimo is the difference between shows that provide enough for the audience to fill the blanks on their own (see SDBurton's goggles) and shows that actually go to those places. Both are common, so it's not like people are idiots for expecting the former.
Perhaps so, but in this kind of anime, that it actually made it clear in the ending isn't exactly surprising. It might have been in some other kind of show, but in an otaku-centric fanbait series like oreimo, and one with incest-baiting as its primary reason to exist? Hah, as if it was really going to avoid it at the end.

Sorry but that seems to be pretty wishful thinking to me. Unlike Bunny Drop, Kirino was sexualized by the male gaze of the camera(and implicitly, the main character) from the very beginning. Not to mention the subject matter. And the title.

People like cosmic who were in denial about what the show is finally know that yes, they were wrong all along... but I still can't figure out how anyone actually thought that the show ever depicted a realistic sibling relationship, when the heavy incest-is-the-point themes were there from the beginning. The ending would only have been even remotely surprising if it HADN'T gone to incest, but it did, so it wasn't.

As for the subject matter, it was never treated as anything sexual (again prior to season 2), but rather as a means for the siblings to re-connect after ignoring each other for a few years. It was less "oh shit, my sister plays eroge and that totally gives me a boner" and more "oh shit, my super popular sister is an otaku and I have to keep it a secret".

The title seemed like it was referring to Kirino's infatuation with little sister games more than Kyosuke's infatuation with her (especially since he essentially hates her for a good chunk of season 1), but yeah...

I'd say this entire page needs to be spoilered, but I guess people have given up.

There was some occasional teasing, but in general, it never felt like anything more than a platonic sibling relationship. Didn't feel any different than Daisuke and Rin's relationship in the sense that it was just family.

When the OVAs came around, things were starting to become less clear on just what the relationship between the siblings was.
Your problem is that you were reading into it what you wanted to see, and not what was actually there. The series always was, from the beginning, about incest-baiting. Sure, it didn't absolutely confirm it until the end, but that was the only reason why the entire series exists. The author did try to keep the people who missed that point reading anyway, up until the end, but make no mistake, that was why it existed, and it was quite clear from the start. And that's why I stopped watching after one episode. "Wishful thinking" is a good description of your posts here.

I mean, it'd have been great if you WERE right. I wish that it was something like that. But, unfortunately, with anime, it does often seem to be good to go in expecting the worst... as series like this show, that's often what you get.

wonzo

Banned
I honestly didn't think much of the first season of Oreimo until I watched the Animated Commentary which pretty much embraced the whole incest angle of the thing and would stop at nothing to highlight just how perverted it was.

jgminto

Hataraku Maou-sama! 10

iAd75cdYKBoHx.gif

What I would give to be that monkey...

I enjoyed seeing the girls hanging out this episode. Their personalities mix together well. Chiho's excitement and energy, Emi's bashfulness and sometimes irritable attitude and Suzano's extremely traditional values and matter-of-factness. Alciel and Lucifer's banter interspersed was fun too.
ieMaTjsUVrbQr.png

PASTA's killer app
I guess that confirms that
SFC manager is one of the Church's agents.
Not really surprising but It'll be interesting to see where it leads.

Tamerlane

Banned
I'll do you even better:

Is Sword Art Online so bad its funny? Like could it work for a hatewatch or is it completely irredeemable?

Hataraku Maou-sama! 10
What I would give to be that monkey...
image.php

Is Sword Art Online so bad its funny? Like could it work for a hatewatch or is it completely irredeemable?
Sword Art Online isn't *that* bad. If you want to compare it to something this season I'd say the closest thing is Valvrave, but with a harem and dumb MC.

So someone explain to me why all this incest is even a thing in Japan. I can barely think of any western examples that aren't in at least a medieval setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom