• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online 1

I'm starting this, and before I do, let me clear something up, because some people have said some vaguely mean things recently and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea: I'm going to give this show a perfectly fair chance. I gave Code Geass that after the first episode, and enjoyed it, even R2's absurd bullshit. I gave Gundam 00 that chance and was sorely disappointed. AGE I had heard rumors going in, but I tried to give it another chance every arc. I can't promise I'll be fair, because I'm a stupid, opinionated, and boorish person and I have my likes and dislikes. That said, I'm going into this show almost completely blind, and we'll see how it turns out.

Okay, Code Geass is enjoyably terrible. From what I've heard of this, this gets nuts later. And not Code Geass R2's enjoyable kind of nuts. I only avoided it because I think the whole "stuck in a game" concept shouldn't be your main plot point when the goal from the start is to escape. That belongs in the horror genre, not here. Good luck getting through this. You'll need it.

You're reactions will be delicious. But if you truly want something amazing, watch Madoka Magica.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know, it looks to me like they are raping that bicycle.

That was the most extreme beam of light in the episode, but trust me, they made sure our eyes were protected in all scenes those wicked wheels appeared in.

KlAgplk.jpg

Ultimadrago

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Aku No Hana] 10

This show continues to throw me out of a loop every week. I genuinely can't tell where this will go. Amazing voice work in this one, by the way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Attack on Titan 10:

The last two episodes in a nutshell. So much raging stupidity and words words words words words words words words words words for fucking nothing going on.

lol @
Eren's (wait, do we still have to spoiler the fact that he's still alive?)
mouth being completely immobile for like three seconds while he's still talking here. Maybe it was supposed to be a still and they forgot to add the DRAMA LINEZ.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kill Me Baby 1-13

Spent Friday and today watching this. I want a 2nd season
People said it was pointless of me trying to trick get others to watch this. But look, but efforts are finally bearing fruit!

BGBW is on top of this.
That thread is probably destroyed whatever reputation I have. I'm certain I'm on some mod watch list now. Of course since its now out in the Yanklands and I have to wait till Friday I won't be ACing it up for the moment.

is he doing requests?

Dokidoki precure - 19

Disapointing is not even the right word for the episode.

Seriously it was predictable and not that funny.

Now next week ..next week we're gonna have some delicious FRIENDSHIP.... this should be good.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 24

Yuka is still eternally stressed and needs Nagisa to keep her spirits up.

I don't think we needed a whole episode to reaffirm this.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Muromi-san 10:

cajun will like the first half, SDBurton will like the last minute. That whole first skit was just really bizarre.

Ultimadrago

This reminds me! Nerawareta Gakuen came out on disc this week! The film is just as beautiful as I remember it being in the cinema - unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the plot is still just as much of a mess at the end, but I still think everything else in the film is so good that I'm still willing to let that slide.

I mean, look at this shot, only about 90 seconds into the film:

nera1_zpsce811cc2.jpg

I can't get over how much I love the colour choices Ryosuke Nakamura made for this film and, as excessive as it may be, his tendency to oversaturate everything with light and motion.

Obviously for some people it's probably sensory overload but I just think it's beautiful - particularly at this point in the film, where it's accompanied by a manipulatively melancholy piano theme (the film's music is by the same guy who did Mouryou no Hako and Hashire Melos)

I hope you all get the chance to watch the film sometime soon. You'll probably all hate how the plot turns out, but I still really think it's worth seeing.

Thanks for sharing. Mouryou no Hako has some delightfully haunting tracks; I wouldn't mind hearing some more from that artist. I recall the title "Nerawareta Gakuen" from a previous thread, but didn't think much of it before. I'll check it out.

Jex

That was the most extreme beam of light in the episode, but trust me, they made sure our eyes were protected in all scenes those wicked wheels appeared in.

KlAgplk.jpg

What's with the wedding dresses?

Scratch that, I'd rather not know.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 25

You'd think being attacked by a Zakenna while you're in tiny rowing boats atop a lake would be pretty inconvenient. Especially when one of the boats has a little old lady in it and the Zakenna creates waterfalls to send you hurtling over.

Thankfully, falling down a waterfall in this case just means landing safely in some kind of underwater pocket dimension (possibly inside the Zakenna?) How convenient. Cue PRECURE MARBLE SCREW! MAX! SPARKLE!

mAcOdIn

Hentai Ouji ep 9
This episode is damn confusing, I don't even know what is going on or what was solved.
From what I understand:
Yodoka or whatever the dudes name was met Tsukiko way back when, for some reason he made a wish that she'd get to go to Italy, so I'm guessing at some point in his earlier childhood she mentioned to him that she wanted to go to Italy when she got older. So the cat God was going to grant that wish, but then I guess that meant it had to keep him somewhat away from her because if they fell in love then she wouldn't want to go to Italy I'm assuming, so it erased his memory of him liking her and him meeting her in the past. But of course that doesn't get Tsukiko to Italy that just means Tsukiko doesn't have a man tying her down, so, uh. then, uh, not sure if the new girl is fake fake, or just was originally supposed to be in Italy still but I guess she was brought to Japan, or created, whatever, to take Tsukiko's place more or less, all the wishes she made however were not related to the main plot and just, uh, shit. Asuza made her own unrelated wish to become someone else so the Cat God took her body.

I dunno, it gets kinda difficult to keep track because it's all so fucking stupid. If the Cat God can warp reality like that I don't see why it needs to jump through hoops like that to get someone to Italy in the first place, but, uh, perhaps its sphere of influence is just the general area so it couldn't just make some random Italian school want a transfer student and pick the sisters for it so it had to transform the town into something that'd get international attention or something.

I dunno. I wouldn't try and think too hard about it because in this type of shit whatever conclusion you come to can either be wrong by default or retconned to be wrong later through wishes so it doesn't matter.

Kazzy

[GunBuster] - 4

A despondent hero, an ensuing crisis, a redemptive flashpoint. Yup, it's all here, and i think it might be getting a little bit more serious, but not that serious. Some of the stuff can seem a little silly and melodramatic (how many times do we need to be reminded that Noriko shouldn't be fighting?), but her arc remains engaging. It's hard not to smile
when she takes matter into her own hands. And there is just no denying that musical swell when the Gunbuster is finally revealed.

So yeah, in other words, Flowers of Evil is one of the best shows I've seen in years. Truly outstanding. If, for some reason, you aren't currently watching it at the moment I implore you to go and experience the first three episodes of the series at least. Just...outstanding:

I dropped it at 7. It's a lot more boring and not as funny as the manga.

I may pick it up again when it's over and I know crazy shit has gone down.

Ultimadrago

To quote the Anime Encyclopaedia:

Shotoku and his nephew Keisuke are vigilante rapists. With a company of "Righting Wrongs through Penetration," they will don black hockey masks and rape females who have somehow offended their clients by dumping them. After teaching their victims a "good lesson," they donate the money they earn to Keisuke's former home at the Sunflower Orphanage".

I see.

High School of the Dead 3

Zombie panties! It really is just like the Walking Dead!!

Is it true, firehawk12? Is The Walking Dead a live-action version of High School of the Dead?

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 26

Summer festival episode. Nagisa is all worried about the fact that she doesn't have any dreams for the future, but Fuji-P helps her realise that as long as she's living life to the full in the present, that's enough for now.

We can also observe in this episode that the standard PRECURE MARBLE SCREW MAX has become so deprecated at this point that a generic Zakenna can hold it at bay by weakly batting at it with its stubby arms. Sigh.

If it ends on a cliffhanger and bombs, will you (or anyone else) check out the manga? Might take some getting used to the art style, but it's the same content and still just as unpredictable as ever.

I just don't know if I could enjoy the story without the rich atmosphere of the TV series. I don't enjoy it for being unpredictable, but for drawing me into a psychological state through visuals and sound and creating powerful empathy in me for the characters. I've checked out the first couple chapters of the manga, and despite the events being the same the presentation makes it feel like a campy farce, which is not what I want.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nanoha is nothing special until ep 5 ? Before that point it's a classic & average anime...
After that point well it's nanoha...

So don't worry too much and enjoy

Yes, another Nanoha watch! Like R_thanatos said, the first few episodes is pretty standard mahou shoujo, but then it gets to a point that sets the tone for the entire series. Especially A's, one of my very favorite shows ever.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I need to play catch up on Aku no Hana as well as DokiDoki! Precure today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom