• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why? What was on that bike?
wP4sndA.gif
I imagine the answer is magical girl titties.

duckroll

I tried... and I failed. This weekend, I was planning on watching two Doraemon movies recommended in this thread - Nobita's Dinosaur 2006 and New Steel Troops 2011. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I made it through about 20 minutes of Nobita's Dinosaur before I just lost interest and turned it off. Before that, I actually tried to watch the original 1980 Nobita's Dinosaur too, but I only lasted 10 minutes.

My conclusion is... I just don't enjoy watching Doraemon. Something about the entire setup is unappealing to me. The characters are too much like actual dumb kids, and the sort of slapstick comedy it uses doesn't work for me at all. Additionally, the premise feels very predictably like the sort of kids show where the protagonist consecutively does dumb shit which he will regret later, and the entire process is a build up to a "lesson" of sorts on the consequences of doing such dumb shit. I really find that sort of stuff boring, even when I was a kid.

So yeah, not for me. RIP. :(

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 18

Happy fun camping time! Everyone is in high spirits (except Mepple, who was getting all ready for some quality alone time with Mipple when Porun showed up to crash the party). This is Takehito Koyasu's big opportunity to show off his MASTER CAMPING SKILLS.

Also, at the end of this episode, did that Heartiel really just give the girls magical notebooks as a present? Seriously, guys, that was already a silly idea when you did it in the first series, but now you're pulling it again? I know you have to sell merchandise, but at least try to be a little more imaginative.

I never really understood the notebooks. I was hoping there'd be more to these things other than being for merchandising but sadly I was mistaken. Thank god this no longer happens after this..... or was it in Splash Star too :/

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 21

In this episode Hikari makes friends with some boy called Daiki who's run away from home. She helps him to realise that his parents aren't as bad as he thought they were. Hang on, didn't we already have an episode about appreciating your parents this series? Oh well, Daiki and Hikari actually made a sort-of-cute couple. Maybe Hikari should go off with him and never come back.

But then Hikari runs into another boy who's run away from home, and this one is a little more unfortunate, since it's the boy from the Mansion of Evil. Since he's supposed to be the reincarnation of the Evil King or something like that, the second they set eyes on each other the world freezes up and both of them basically turn into empty-eyed robots (until the bad guys show up to have a brief fight and then run away with their little boy). Seems like the story might actually be moving forward? Nah, couldn't be.

She must have a thing for run-away kids. Appreciating your parents episodes are one of the most used "reasons" for an episode basically, because you know, Mother's Day and whatnot.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 23

So they found the sacred place in the lake and it gave them NEW POWERUP BRACELETS.

NEW POWERUP BRACELETS give the Cures the ability to FIGHT BETTER and turn their finisher into a MORE POWERFUL ATTACK that looks kind of like a storm of rainbows!

I'm so glad this series is doing its own thing and not getting stuck in the same patterns as the first series. It's all so fresh and original.

You're definitely seeing what I mean by the repetition.

Nafe

I tried... and I failed. This weekend, I was planning on watching two Doraemon movies recommended in this thread - Nobita's Dinosaur 2006 and New Steel Troops 2011. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I made it through about 20 minutes of Nobita's Dinosaur before I just lost interest and turned it off. Before that, I actually tried to watch the original 1980 Nobita's Dinosaur too, but I only lasted 10 minutes.

My conclusion is... I just don't enjoy watching Doraemon. Something about the entire setup is unappealing to me. The characters are too much like actual dumb kids, and the sort of slapstick comedy it uses doesn't work for me at all. Additionally, the premise feels very predictably like the sort of kids show where the protagonist consecutively does dumb shit which he will regret later, and the entire process is a build up to a "lesson" of sorts on the consequences of doing such dumb shit. I really find that sort of stuff boring, even when I was a kid.

I haven't seen them yet myself. That's too bad.

Time to re-recommend watching Smile PreCure! Episodes 35 and 38!
You know you want to. ;)

2ZLcu

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 27

Summer holidays are coming to an end. Nagisa thinks she's finished all her homework, but then remembers she still has to write a report on a theme of her choice. Helpfully enough, Akane suggests that the girls come with her to a pear orchard where the year's crop of pears are going to be harvested, so Nagisa decides to write her report about that.

As it turns out, the neighbours who were going to help the elderly couple out with the pear harvesting aren't able to make it, so the girls (and Akane) pitch in to get all the pears harvested in time. Whether Nagisa will actually be able to get her report written after tiring herself out with all that hard work is dubious, though.

tl;dr: It's sort of like the farming episode from the first series, except less interesting.

I was so sure you'd enjoy the dinosaurs too.

I mean, I can understand where you're coming from; I never liked blatantly didactic children's entertainment either. And it can't be denied that Doraemon as a franchise is based around that idea - Nobita gets into scrapes because of mistakes he's made and Doraemon bails him out and teaches him a valuable lesson and such. But I didn't feel like Nobita's Dinosaur 2006 went too far in that direction; it's more a light-hearted adventure film, especially once the kids go back in time.

Even if you can't muster up the will to watch the whole movie, you should at least check out some of the animation highlights from later in the film. There's some incredible scenes.

I just don't know if I could enjoy the story without the rich atmosphere of the TV series. I don't enjoy it for being unpredictable, but for drawing me into a psychological state through visuals and sound and creating powerful empathy in me for the characters. I've checked out the first couple chapters of the manga, and despite the events being the same the presentation makes it feel like a campy farce, which is not what I want.

Understandable. It's definitely a different experience.

Makes me wonder what it would be like if Goodnight PunPun got the same treatment, a comparable series that I actually had to drop because it made me too uncomfortable and depressed.

Cwarrior

So yeah, in other words, Flowers of Evil is one of the best shows I've seen in years. Truly outstanding. If, for some reason, you aren't currently watching it at the moment I implore you to go and experience the first three episodes of the series at least. Just...outstanding:

When I read the manga two years ago I thought man jexhius and his hipster posse are going to love this.

I too use to like aku no hana too bad it goes to shit later.

Dresden

I blame the mediocre 2011 movie. For whatever reason. :(

Theonik

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet] 10

I'm glad they didn't paint Chamber as simply another AI capable only of following the "prime directive", so to speak. It paints him as rather human in a way. Able to learn, even.

Pinion getting mad with the spoils of war was what I thought they were gonna do with Ledo's character in the "what do I do with money" episode. You can see how it's gonna bite the newly-formed fleet in the arse as soon as Ledo leaves.

The ending didn't sit too well with me, though. It's too sudden of a revelation, especially after it had just been established that the Alliance was too far away. But y'know, wormholes and their unpredictability.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart 28

New mascot get!

So now we have a female counterpart for Porun. Her name is Rurun and she has the same awkward droopy face shape as Mipple, which gives her a pretty big boost in the "not-cute" stat. I certainly empathised with Porun at the end of this episode when he was all like "Help me-popo..."

Honestly I wish we could get rid of all these extraneous mascots and just keep Porun. Porun is the only one who is properly cute. And if a mascot is not cute, then what is the purpose of its existence? That's got to be like, the top required qualification on the mascot application form. How these other guys got hired I have no idea.

Also the Zakenna this episode was a giant insect. Ewwwww.

Midonin

Nyarko W 09

It always comes back to the space entertainment industry. But my favorite part is, was and always will be the massive amount of Rider references. Nyarko using a Medajalibur brought me so much joy. The idea of an "anti-violence barrier" is also highly amusing in itself. Poor ShoPhil vac, though. It'll get its moment in the spotlight soon, I hope. The Cuune problem seems to have been dealt with, setting up an OT3. But since it's a FFM OT3, I can keep having my yuri teasing that keeps my goggles shining bright.

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 27

Summer holidays are coming to an end. Nagisa thinks she's finished all her homework, but then remembers she still has to write a report on a theme of her choice. Helpfully enough, Akane suggests that the girls come with her to a pear orchard where the year's crop of pears are going to be harvested, so Nagisa decides to write her report about that.

As it turns out, the neighbours who were going to help the elderly couple out with the pear harvesting aren't able to make it, so the girls (and Akane) pitch in to get all the pears harvested in time. Whether Nagisa will actually be able to get her report written after tiring herself out with all that hard work is dubious, though.

tl;dr: It's sort of like the farming episode from the first series, except less interesting.

The similarities just keep coming!

CorvoSol

It's explained in one of the original LN side chapters that the game is programmed for completely realistic sex in-game and the original game let you construct your appearance entirely at your whim. Yeah.

Realistic glopping noises.

But if I can't feel my crotch, why would I care about sex? They made a big deal about not feeling your crotch at the beginning.

I can sorta understand peoples love of mikasa(mikasa genderbend is lovely) but sasha...why? All she does is awkward misplaced comedy that makes the anime awkward and offensive to the characters devaluing the intensity of their scenes. Such an odd character to get behind. Annie or the megane girl are better candidates for best girl.

Potato girl is loopy, and the cloud cuckoo lander is sometimes the best. You don't see the appeal of an Osaka? Besides, Potato girl gets plenty of serious time, too.

But would that surprise you given the person you asked?

Suddenly feel like I've been insulted, heh.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 19

GDSTu3ml.jpg

I wonder if all the nostalgia whores are happy now.

Be honest: weren't you happy to see the old Chars back? Ash should've never released something so awesome.

Jex

If it ends on a cliffhanger and bombs, will you (or anyone else) check out the manga? Might take some getting used to the art style, but it's the same content and still just as unpredictable as ever.

Well, assuming I literally have no choice, I will examine the manga at some point down the line.

Jex

I'd say that's certainly part of the initial set up and, indeed, I think one of the appeals of the movie is that the characters do act like stupid kids because that makes their exploits more interesting and exciting. However, with express regard to you bolded text, the main thrust of the movie is not about learning from your mistakes. It's far more of a light hearted adventure movie once you get about 30 minutes into the story.

Jex

titan 10

show is getting real dumb. It's like your average Toku but somehow more dumb.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but it's hard to justify that argument from episode ten alone because basically nothing happened. It may be 'dumb' that it took so long for so little to happen but the actual scenario was fine. It's the presentation, which has dragged a relatively simple idea into two whole episodes, that's the real culprit here.

Be honest: weren't you happy to see the old Chars back? Ash should've never released something so awesome.

Not really. If anything this will shaft the development of the already poorly developed Pokemon on his team since he'll just be using this boring ace over and over again.

Jex

When I read the manga two years ago I thought man jexhius and his hipster posse are going to love this.

I too use to like aku no hana too bad it goes to shit later.

What a pleasure it is to here from you, Cwarrior. I'm glad to see you're representing Aku as usual.

cajunator

Banned
I deserve more hugs.

*hugs Corvy-kun

Apparently the Final Fantasy anime is really bad too.

It is, but the music is ok and its suitably cute.

Henneko 09
"Your mom is a jack-o-lantern!"

PjPcv7o.png

Yeah, that's right. Get outta here.

ohhhh gosh best girl azuki azusa <3 AND THEN STORY HAPPENED AND AZUKI AZUSA AND AND AND AHHHHH

<3

This is the best show this season. That's baby sweet berry love.

That ED is just godlike.

Man, sure are a lot of 90's OVAs/movies based on fighting games in that list.

That list has Garzey's Wing. why does it have Garzey's wing? Are we the only forum that appreciates that masterpiece?

Sword Art Online 2

It's been a month and 2,000 people have died? And the government has done nothing to get these people out? The greatest hackers in the world have failed to make this work? Can't buy it. If technology has advanced to the point of immersion VR, suitable methods for cracking it or shutting it off should have advanced at an equal pace. Oh well.

It's also been a month since Kirito has used the bathroom, eaten, or bathed. How does his family afford to keep him alive? The medical bills must be astronomical. God help any players in the USA.

IT TOOK YOU GODDAMN IDIOTS A MONTH TO REALIZE THE BOSS TO THE NEXT FLOOR WAS IN A TOWER? JEEZ HAVE YOU MORONS EVER PLAYED A VIDEO GAME BEFORE? I'm sorry but that's really, really stupid. Also, there's no magic, no job system, limited gil and worse, limited EXP. Immersion VR aside, why in God's name would anyone want to play this game? It sounds like the worst kind of RPG.

Who does that? Who just wildly and at random assumes someone in a crowd happened to be a beta tester? There were only 1,000 of them. Ugh anime logic.

Oh man, the tower isn't even hard to find. Also, missed opportunity for a Leeroy Jenkins joke.

Hey what happens if you had a bad internet connection? Why would you reject a potion? What even is the point of doing that? I don't understand why you would reject a potion. There is literally no reason for you to die here.

Oh gee, I cannot believe this beta tester witch hunt. At least the fight was awesome. And Kirito got himself a cool new coat! Now he doesn't have to look generic anymore!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A BEATER. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Corvy-kun, you'll hurt yourself watching this :(

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 20

Rina cares for an injured tanuki. Then Rina has to say goodbye to the tanuki. So that was an episode.

At least Porun and friends playing with the tanuki was kind of cute.

I might have to watch this episode. Oh god I would have to resume Max Heart...

Dokidoki 19:

33XPw9B.jpg

This is why Dokidoki is shit. Two episodes, same premise:

Smile: hey, let's have an episode where we battle the bad guys with bowling and go karts and shit because it's cool and why the fuck not?

Dokidoki: hey, let's have an episode where we battle the bad guys with bowling and dodgeball because Mana is a perfect morally-superior being and this is a nonviolent way to defeat the bad guys and Mana abhors violence ;__________;

TOEI DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST TRY TO SAVE TWO FRAMES OF FACIAL ANIMATION

Futari wa Precure Max Heart 23

So they found the sacred place in the lake and it gave them NEW POWERUP BRACELETS.

NEW POWERUP BRACELETS give the Cures the ability to FIGHT BETTER and turn their finisher into a MORE POWERFUL ATTACK that looks kind of like a storm of rainbows!

I'm so glad this series is doing its own thing and not getting stuck in the same patterns as the first series. It's all so fresh and original.

That frame thing doesnt look too bad. kind of stylish. Maybe I watch Shaft shows too much.

CorvoSol

Not really. If anything this will shaft the development of the already poorly developed Pokemon on his team since he'll just be using this boring ace over and over again.

I doubt it. Ash's been a poor trainer for ages. No reason for him to start using a powerful pokemon in favor of his Heracross of the season for a change.

*hugs Corvy-kun

Corvy-kun, you'll hurt yourself watching this :(

I dunno, aside from the fact that Sword Art Online sounds like the worst role playing game ever invented and its players and villain being sort of stupid, nothing really bad has come up. I mean, even that 2000 people have died so far makes sense.

duckroll

[Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet] 10

I'm glad they didn't paint Chamber as simply another AI capable only of following the "prime directive", so to speak. It paints him as rather human in a way. Able to learn, even.

Pinion getting mad with the spoils of war was what I thought they were gonna do with Ledo's character in the "what do I do with money" episode. You can see how it's gonna bite the newly-formed fleet in the arse as soon as Ledo leaves.

The ending didn't sit too well with me, though. It's too sudden of a revelation, especially after it had just been established that the Alliance was too far away. But y'know, wormholes and their unpredictability.

That's not the Alliance. That's his old commander who "sacrificed" himself in ep1. He, like Ledo, obviously got thrown through a wormhole and ended up on Earth. He likely got to Earth before Ledo, and probably wasn't unconscious the whole time, so it looks like he built a cult army fleet somewhere else in the ocean, but now Pinion's stupid broadcast finally got his attention.

cajunator

Banned
It flopped?
 Total Average Sales
15,188 - Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Fall, 7 vols) 1,633 DVD (11%) / 13,556 BD (90%)
*9,794 - Hyouka (Spring, 11 vols) 1,125 DVD (12%) / 8,670 BD (89%)
*4,059 - Tamako Market (Winter, 6 vols) 518 DVD (13%) / 3,542 BD (88%)

Gooo Chuuni! :D

You're probably thinking of Hyouka.

:(

Hyouka clearly needed more Misaki!

Muromi-san 10:

cajun will like the first half, SDBurton will like the last minute. That whole first skit was just really bizarre.

I love muromi-san entirely. Cant wait to see next episode.

I like this cover idea :D

"SAO is the worst thing since child pornography" - firehawk12

Oh yeah I forgot to post these but, the ending should indeed please both Cajun AND SDBurton.

But Yeti is a dude. how can it be :SDBurton ?

I doubt it. Ash's been a poor trainer for ages. No reason for him to start using a powerful pokemon in favor of his Heracross of the season for a change.

I dunno, aside from the fact that Sword Art Online sounds like the worst role playing game ever invented and its players and villain being sort of stupid, nothing really bad has come up. I mean, even that 2000 people have died so far makes sense.

It hasnt gotten that terrible- yet. At least Silica and Lisbest show up for like ten minutes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's not the Alliance. That's his old commander who "sacrificed" himself in ep1. He, like Ledo, obviously got thrown through a wormhole and ended up on Earth. He likely got to Earth before Ledo, and probably wasn't unconscious the whole time, so it looks like he built a cult army fleet somewhere else in the ocean, but now Pinion's stupid broadcast finally got his attention.
Ah that's more likely, though
why did it take him so long to look up for Ledo?
next episode I guess

Gargantia - 10

PINION YOU DUMBASS.

No Pinion, you don't announce to the whole world that you've got a bunch of shit that everybody wants! Like that has never backfired on anyone.

Aside from that, a great episode as always.

Chamber's opinion on the war between the Hideauze and the Alliance was brilliant. I love how he formulated the opinion on his own to separate him from the alliance, it doesn't just make him a robotic character that only follows orders. Honestly, what he's saying is true.

The Hideauze are humans that abandoned civilization. They have evolved beyond humans and have become a different race entirely. The reason the Alliance fights against them is so humans can keep their civilization. A really unpredictable plot twist from an unpredictable character. That was beautiful writing.

Now Ledo's got his old Commander back, and with the way things look in the preview, I'm guessing the next episode is him unfortunately having to go back to his old ways, much to his displeasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom