• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patlabor TV 10
Part 2: The Labors
(Part 1)

The second thing I want to note about this episode is its portrayal of the enemy labors. Up to this point in the TV series, the labors we've seen have pretty much all been construction labors, aside from the Patlabors themselves. The construction labors are not particularly menacing in themselves; they look like you'd expect practical vehicular machines to look. They, in contrast to the Patlabors, are not particularly humanoid in design. The enemy labors in this episode are different. They are humanoid, vaguely similar to Patlabors in structure, but much more menacing.

Screenshot14.jpg

They first appear emerging from the depths of the sea. The water that hangs onto their bodies is drawn as white splotches. It is not animated at all, but that ends up being a benefit, as it looks less like water and more like some mysterious substance that has become a part of the labors. It is a touch of the organic that turns them from machines into monsters. They are sea creatures coated in seawood, emerging onto land to cause havoc and destruction.

The enemy labor designs are sleeker than the Patlabors, a combination of curves and sharp edges. Their color is darker as well. In that sense, they remind me of Type Zero's design from the first movie. In both cases, the point of the design is to make them look like something to be afraid of. They achieve a kind of uncanny valley between human and machine that makes them inherently uncomfortable.

Comparing Noa's Patlabor and the enemy's Brocken in this shot, the most obvious difference besides the color is that the Brocken has much fewer joints showing. One of the Brocken's legs is covered by one rounded piece as compared to the multiple elements sticking out of the Patlabor's legs. This greater minimalism is disturbing both because of its move away from being an obvious machine and its move towards concealment. While the Patlabor shows its hand, so to speak, most notably with the police siren and insignia, the Brocken appears to conceal more of what it's capable of, and so becomes a more imposing presence. Even the fact that its design is more nondescript works to its advantage, as it is able to blend into the shadows and become one itself.

Concealment is also the principle behind the Brocken's visor. The Patlabor's visor lets an outsider see through to the pilot, but the Brocken's visor does not. Instead, you have thin grills, pointed out in a disquietingly sharp point, from which only an ominous red glow (red again!) emerges. The glow of a machine's “eyes” has long been used as a symbol of fear, as it indicates an inhuman presence which can't be reasoned with or understood. It can only be fought or fled from.

Even more coldly inhuman is the face of the Phantom labor. It looks more human than the Brocken, with the outlines of eyes, a nose, and a mouth visible, but this takes it further into the uncanny valley I mentioned. The humanlike qualities mark it as a sentient being, but how distant its features are from those of humans mark it as an alien being. When its eyes glow red, you know something terrible is about to happen.

The mark of good mecha design is that the robots take on a personality of their own and become characters in their own right. Creating a robot that fills you with dread is perhaps the highest achievement a mecha designer can reach.

cnet128

Banned
Aku no Hana 11

oh god the swimsuits

oh god that dinnertable scene

oh god that
dream sequence

oh god the line at the end of the next-episode preview

CorvoSol

Just wait and see the other asspulls this show will do. Right from the ass.

Yui is Kirito's little sister or a hacker or actually the main bad guy I don't know.

I also don't expect them to be freed from the game after clearing level 100.

Or my personal favorite: They get out but HAVE TO GO BACK!

cajunator

Banned
Yui is Kirito's little sister or a hacker or actually the main bad guy I don't know.

I also don't expect them to be freed from the game after clearing level 100.

Or my personal favorite: They get out but HAVE TO GO BACK!

Heeheehee!

You don't have any sharp objects around do you? Just makin sure.
Stay away from brick walls too. Cant be too careful.

Detective Conan 217:
Now that's how you do an episode of Conan! After surviving a few AOs, I've reached Megure's backstory case. The introductory episode is great, building up an oppressive atmosphere, and doing a lot of interesting things with Megure. Watching him breaking down and having his memories from the previous case like this is a powerful moment for him (especially because his character often winds up mostly being used as a foil to the other characters rather than really taking his own actions). The scenes at the end of the episode with him and Matsumoto were great. Matsumoto really doesn't show up enough (but you can be sure some bad shit is happening if he does).

Plus, the opening scenes with Sonoko and Ran were hilarious. Sonoko is always a complete delight, and her facial expressions as she teased Ran were amazing. She's also still stuck in a place where she's not quite sure how to bring about everything with her and Makoto to actually work, and it's enjoyable to see her dealing with that in her own Sonokoish way.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OreImo S2 11:

OreImo11_zps9c96a442.jpg

Oh she will, and she'll do it with a smile on her face.

Better than last week's episode, but it only further reminded me why Kuroneko and Kyousuke are the only good pairing in the show. There's actual chemistry between the two, and there's basically nothing with any other pairing.

Oh, and best girl being best girl.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oreimo 3

"Kyousuke, you're so dense!"

Aghslkhgklgh, fucking hell Kyousuke. SHE WANTED YOU TO HUG HER. ANY IDIOT CAN SEE THAT. FUCK.

Aside from that, good episode. Kyousuke's fight with his Dad was way more intense than I'd expected this show to get, haha. But it really does mirror a lot of concerns that parents have with anime in real life. The show's really handling that aspect of the whole otaku culture thing very well.

Also, anyone who didn't see
incest end
coming willfully had blinders on. I'm only three episodes in and even without the LN spoilers it'd have been totally obvious by now.

cajunator

Banned
OreImo S2 11:

Better than last week's episode, but it only further reminded me why Kuroneko and Kyousuke are the only good pairing in the show. There's actual chemistry between the two, and there's basically nothing with any other pairing.

This post contains the only girls that actually matter.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
...And then you can read the Tv Tropes entry. What a sweet, sweet, reward.

At least it can't ruin my life because Wit Studio already did.

On a related note, my post in the Attack on Titan thread is already not going over well. Bad luck with me getting the top of the page :lol

CorvoSol

Bear in mind, Utena recap episodes are not like other recap episodes.

Nadesico is the only show I've ever seen make recap episodes bearable.

Slayers TRY 4

So I assume Gourry can't use the Sword of Light's full power with its sword beams because he doesn't have full hearts. He never has full hearts because Lina is always beating him up. Xellos is perfectly described as a government worker in this episode, whose government just happens to be Monsters and Demons. That said, for the first time ever, someone, namely Filia, got under his skin by referring to him as "garbage". Apparently there is more to the conflict between the Dragons and the Monsters than just Good and Evil.

Oh, and Chocobos and Jawas.

cajunator

Banned
At least it can't ruin my life because Wit Studio already did.

On a related note, my post in the Attack on Titan thread is already not going over well. Bad luck with me getting the top of the page :lol

Dont worry. I just called Gantz and Attack on titan shit in the same post. I can hear pitchforks coming. I gotta sleep anyway.

Narag

^rip asuka

Muromi 11

Otohime is by far and away the best character in this series and I'd def. watch a full length series dedicated to her building up her empire and getting revenge at those wretched monsters.

She was the character I wanted to learn the most about when I watched the OP initially. Something about her expressiveness in it.

CorvoSol

My feelings toward Attack on Titan are best compared to a girlfriend you break up with, have amazing hateful break up sex with, and continue this destructive cycle of love and hate again and again. Show was really good at first, but the 20 second episode was just reaaaaaally bad, and from the sounds of it, episode 11 isn't gonna be better?

OreImo S2 11:

I can't help but think that Ayase picture would be a good photoshop for Villager.

Kaiji 8

Money corrupts everyone and forces the viewer to look at a herd of pathetic naked men for a good deal of screentime.

Fuck you Andou, you anti-team player bitch of an asshole. I'm not surprised considering you intended to split back when you joined the team. Furahata, despite being responsible for getting Kaiji where he was, was still a bro to the end

Never trust a fat man is what I'm getting from this.

My reading of the Titan thread is that "CasualGAF" has turned against the show, so I don't think any war will break out over your statements.

Yeah, the mood isn't particularly positive there either. But you always have that group that gets hostile to negative opinions in an official thread. I bailed out of that thread a long time ago because of that. But I've thought Titan was a mess from the beginning.

Narag

Yeah, the mood isn't particularly positive there either. But you always have that group that gets hostile to negative opinions in an official thread.

If you don't like it stop watching it god there's no reason to troll the rest ofus who are enjoying ourselves let us watch it in peace

Kaiji 8

Money corrupts everyone and forces the viewer to look at a herd of pathetic naked men for a good deal of screentime.

Fuck you Andou, you anti-team player bitch of an asshole. I'm not surprised considering you intended to split back when you joined the team. Furahata, despite being responsible for getting Kaiji where he was, was still a bro to the end

Never trust anyone is the real message. Never know who will backstab you.

The real bro of the series will become clear soon enough.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kaiji 8

Your take away should be that Kaiji is a dumbass.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My reading of the Titan thread is that "CasualGAF" has turned against the show, so I don't think any war will break out over your statements.

Yeah, the mood isn't particularly positive there either. But you always have that group that gets hostile to negative opinions in an official thread. I bailed out of that thread a long time ago because of that.

Is that so? I haven't read the thread since episode five. I'm guessing that, at least, lapsed anime fans bailed because the "anime tropes" they they bemoan finally manifested in the show.

I also feel obligated to point out that referring to people who still enjoy AoT as CasualGAF wasn't meant to be condescending although it certainly sounds that way; it was just a hasty and probably poor way to differentiate people who are easier to please from those whose enjoyment of something is affected by the technical aspects of production.

If you don't like it stop watching it god there's no reason to troll the rest ofus who are enjoying ourselves let us watch it in peace

Just guessing, but SAO OT?

Is that so? I haven't read the thread since episode five. I'm guessing that, at least, lapsed anime fans bailed because the "anime tropes" they they bemoan finally manifested in the show.

The general consensus seems to be that the show has succumbed to atrocious pacing and so fallen into the mediocrity of your standard lazy shounen adaptation.

Just guessing, but SAO OT?

I've seen that sentiment in innumerable OTs in both Gaming and Off Topic.

cnet128

Banned
Do I see people discussing the relative merits of OreImo waifus? Here, allow me to settle this by presenting the 100% accurate correct ranking.

Kirino > Hinata > Kanako > Kuroneko > Ayase > Saori > Sena > Manami

But even Manami is pretty great, so yeah. Really everyone from Ayase upwards is god-tier. Kyousuke you lucky bastard.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 4

Last episode was focused on Saki's hobby, so this episode balanced it out by focusing on Mai's hobby. Mai gets invited to join the Art Club, and her first task is to draw a picture with the theme of "Spring" for an upcoming exhibition.

After lots of umming and ahhing over what to draw, she settles on drawing a field of cabbages...except then she gets distracted helping out an old woman who is harvesting the cabbages, and ends up drawing the old woman instead. She doesn't win first prize in the exhibition, because she didn't exactly stick to the theme, but she drew a lovely picture and that's what counts.

So yeah, it kind of ended up as yet another of those "let's do some farming and be inspired by it" episodes. I guess one of those was inevitable since we had a fair few of them in the original series/Max Heart, and Splash Star seems to have a stronger "nature" focus to boot.

Speaking of which, it's kind of cool that there's actually a theme to the monsters-of-the-week this time around. Unlike all the villains in the original series and Max Heart, who would just turn any random object into a Zakenna, the current villain's power comes from manipulating "tree spirits", so all the Uzaina so far have been plant-themed. (Although in this episode, he proves that this rule can be bent somewhat, creating an Uzaina from cicadas because they draw their strength from feeding on tree sap.) I'm guessing future villains are going to be themed around different aspects of nature.

Random observations: Saki seems to have inherited an obsession with food directly from Nagisa. Flappy also seems to be following in Mepple and Mipple's footsteps by having a thing for his counterpart mascot, but Choppy for her part seems entirely oblivious. Being male mascot is suffering. Oh, and Akudaikaan doesn't really seem to be lurking in the shadows any more, so I guess that puts paid to that potential nickname.

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm a full member now! Praise be to AnimeGAF and Precure!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
To Heart 1

I'm still kinda on a school romance kick after kinda marathon-ing Clannad and Clannad: After Story and this popped up on an auto rec generator, thought I'd give it a try at least.

You know I'm having the same feeling watching this that I did when I started Clannad, of having seen it before. I definitely remember Akari and her room. I can't remember how much of it I watched of it though or when I watched it. I must've watched a few episodes of it some time ago. Just a very vague sense of seeing it before. I don't think I finished it though, so it might be worth the re-watch (especially since I don't remember the plot all that much). I do remember there are some sad twists but I can't remember what they are.

Decent guitar solo in the OP, nice.

Kind of a poor English VA cast so far but not unlistenable. Akari (Angora Deb/Debora Rabbai) is decent enough for a lead, Hiroyuki (Rich McNanna) is kinda...not.

I definitely remember watching parts of this show sometime ago.

Kind of a simplistic show so far, but I'm not actively hating it.

ED is kinda boring, but not bad.

I think I'll stick with this show for now. Plus it's fairly short (13 episodes) though there are like a few sequel series. I think will probably not watch those unless I really end up liking this.

Mature

Detective Conan 217:
Now that's how you do an episode of Conan! After surviving a few AOs, I've reached Megure's backstory case. The introductory episode is great, building up an oppressive atmosphere, and doing a lot of interesting things with Megure. Watching him breaking down and having his memories from the previous case like this is a powerful moment for him (especially because his character often winds up mostly being used as a foil to the other characters rather than really taking his own actions). The scenes at the end of the episode with him and Matsumoto were great. Matsumoto really doesn't show up enough (but you can be sure some bad shit is happening if he does).

Plus, the opening scenes with Sonoko and Ran were hilarious. Sonoko is always a complete delight, and her facial expressions as she teased Ran were amazing. She's also still stuck in a place where she's not quite sure how to bring about everything with her and Makoto to actually work, and it's enjoyable to see her dealing with that in her own Sonokoish way.
I've wanted to rewatch these episodes ever since the first time I saw them. I don't know if I'd call Megure an underrated character, but he's definitely an under appreciated one.

Omigosh, Kuwabara, the second part to this new Haibara episode is out... I'm overly excited.

Do I see people discussing the relative merits of OreImo waifus? Here, allow me to settle this by presenting the 100% accurate correct ranking.

Kirino > Hinata > Kanako > Kuroneko > Ayase > Saori > Sena > Manami

But even Manami is pretty great, so yeah. Really everyone from Ayase upwards is god-tier. Kyousuke you lucky bastard.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 4

Last episode was focused on Saki's hobby, so this episode balanced it out by focusing on Mai's hobby. Mai gets invited to join the Art Club, and her first task is to draw a picture with the theme of "Spring" for an upcoming exhibition.

After lots of umming and ahhing over what to draw, she settles on drawing a field of cabbages...except then she gets distracted helping out an old woman who is harvesting the cabbages, and ends up drawing the old woman instead. She doesn't win first prize in the exhibition, because she didn't exactly stick to the theme, but she drew a lovely picture and that's what counts.

So yeah, it kind of ended up as yet another of those "let's do some farming and be inspired by it" episodes. I guess one of those was inevitable since we had a fair few of them in the original series/Max Heart, and Splash Star seems to have a stronger "nature" focus to boot.

Speaking of which, it's kind of cool that there's actually a theme to the monsters-of-the-week this time around. Unlike all the villains in the original series and Max Heart, who would just turn any random object into a Zakenna, the current villain's power comes from manipulating "tree spirits", so all the Uzaina so far have been plant-themed. (Although in this episode, he proves that this rule can be bent somewhat, creating an Uzaina from cicadas because they draw their strength from feeding on tree sap.) I'm guessing future villains are going to be themed around different aspects of nature.

Random observations: Saki seems to have inherited an obsession with food directly from Nagisa. Flappy also seems to be following in Mepple and Mipple's footsteps by having a thing for his counterpart mascot, but Choppy for her part seems entirely oblivious. Being male mascot is suffering. Oh, and Akudaikaan doesn't really seem to be lurking in the shadows any more, so I guess that puts paid to that potential nickname.

EDIT: Oh shit, I'm a full member now! Praise be to AnimeGAF and Precure!

PRAISE BE TO MEMBERSHIP! Also you're making some good observations with the theming and whatnot. Not surprised you jumped straight into Splash Star despite dealing with Max Heart.

Kaiji 9

The Rock Paper Scissors segment is over at last, with Kaiji's quick on the feet thinking saving him (and another person) at the last moment. Despite Kaiji being stupid as hell, he still has a bit of humanity showing. That humanity revels the system that was set up before them to drive everyone into madness.

That fucker got what he deserved. Same with Green Knitted Sweater Dork BitchAss McFucker as well. Trying to plead for shit despite your actions. ALL YOU ASSHOLES BE FUCKED.

Oh and gratuitous NAKED MAN ON MAN ACTION! Don't see that sweating goodness everyday in anime.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oreimo 4-5

Comiket episode was fun (and pretty accurate, from what I've heard about Comiket). Ayase is scary as fuck, though. :lol For a minute I thought she was about to get all yandere.

Kyousuke really is going above and beyond the call of duty here to help Kirino, though. Maybe a little too much, even.

And I will admit that Kirino isn't terribly likable at this point, but really, none of them are particularly likable, except maybe Saori and Manami. Saori's probably my favorite at the moment. Hope she sticks around for S2.

Branduil

Crest of the Stars 2

i9rbdg2cpnFY8.jpg

Lafiel is a weirdo.
I've always wanted to say that.

This was a lot better than the first episode. The story took time to breathe and develop the characters, and the depiction of friendship and Jinto's discomfort at having to leave was very touching and well done. It helps to have good editing and storyboarding that depicts visually how the characters are feeling about each other and the situation.

iYc1vP9ebWt4u.jpg

Such a beautiful bromance.

As in any story involving a fish-out-of-water, where he has to learn the customs and technology of a new and alien culture, there's bound to be a lot of infodumping as part of the world-building. I was pleased to see it was handled in an organic way here, and the questions Jinto asked were entirely logical, given his own unfamiliarity with Abh society. There was also a nice chemistry between Jinto and Lafiel, in the "two awkward strangers trying to become comfortable with one another" kind of way.

iCw8tFdnIR4bM.jpg

"You're a wizard, Harry!"

The soundtrack is also very lovely, and of course it's nice to see hand-drawn mechanical animation.

I don't understand what the heck the last two minutes were about, though. That was extremely irritating, both in its rapid editing and the ugly blur-and-grime filter they used that reduced the scene to a incoherent series of unfocused images and sound. Please don't do that again, show.

iKctS5SeskqiY.jpg

The logic crystal also has to call home every 24 hours or the ship explodes.

Ridli

Oreimo 4-5

Comiket episode was fun (and pretty accurate, from what I've heard about Comiket). Ayase is scary as fuck, though. :lol For a minute I thought she was about to get all yandere.

Kyousuke really is going above and beyond the call of duty here to help Kirino, though. Maybe a little too much, even.

And I will admit that Kirino isn't terrible likable at this point, but really, none of them are particularly likable, except maybe Saori and Manami. Saori's probably my favorite at the moment. Hope she sticks around for S2.

Just remember that you will soon have to declare an allegiance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Crest of the Stars 2

I don't understand what the heck the last two minutes were about, though. That was extremely irritating, both in its rapid editing and the ugly blur-and-grime filter they used that reduced the scene to a incoherent series of unfocused images and sound. Please don't do that again, show.
It was an anti-Abh propaganda film, which is what the old lady had in her luggage. This is the same luggage that Jinto and Lafiel retrieved. There's a shot confirming this too, and a shot of the audience of this film.

So to connect the dots here, their noble action allowed somebody else to fan the flames of resentment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom