• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not really, because it overemphasizes arbitrary boundaries between concepts that don't really represent what works or what doesn't in a production.

Besides, Aristotle said plot was most important anyway.

Aristotle also divided philosophy and rhetoric. lol.

Pumpkin Scissors 3

PYhkRLL.jpg

Blushing over a little boy? Alice, what are you doing? Alice, stahp.

CorvoSol

Can't do worse than cosmic and his not liking Utena schtick. Or was that firehawk?

Anything that encourages bike shorts should be encouraged. It was the best part of FFXIII, and the lack of it in subsequent FFXIII games is demonstrative of the drop off of any remaining quality they had.

Dresden

I respect cosmic's opinions no matter how much I might disagree, because they come from the heart and burn with the passion of at least two and a half suns.

kayos90

Anything that encourages bike shorts should be encouraged. It was the best part of FFXIII, and the lack of it in subsequent FFXIII games is demonstrative of the drop off of any remaining quality they had.

Who wore biker shorts in XIII? I don't recall...

Jintor

The problem is when the stylistic presentation aspects are bad. I don't mean in terms of budget, or quality of animation, or how "stylized" it seems but whether that style is meaningful and powerful from an artistic POV. I mean, most modern painters are all "heavily stylized" by the criteria of anime but we wouldn't say every single one of them is good, right? I assume most of us can tell the difference between an Anselm Kiefer and a Damien Hirst.

I don't really agree with you here because because I don't think works needs to have powerful meaning attached to be enjoyable or 'good'. Even if Bebop was literally about nothing really of substance, which it isn't, the sheer wizardry of its spectacle is still impressive as balls.

Aristotle also divided philosophy and rhetoric. lol.

How can you know things and still be :kayos? I'm confused

zeroshiki

I feel violated learning that we've been invaded by astroturfers.

Next thing you know, we'll find out that firehawk doesn't actually like cherry blossoms and does his schtick because he works for some company selling kleenex.

Detective Conan 220-221:
Forgot Conan and Heiji teaming up, when am I going to get my Yukiko/Shizuka teamup? I need this to happen.

Very good two parter, and there was some good stuff with the way the killer setup their alibi. Shizuka owned the episode with her cunning remarks and being completely stoic, and that scene where
she blocks the sword strike and tells the wife down
was a great moment.

kayos90

Detective Conan 220-221:
Forgot Conan and Heiji teaming up, when am I going to get my Yukiko/Shizuka teamup? I need this to happen.

Very good two parter, and there was some good stuff with the way the killer setup their alibi. Shizuka owned the episode with her cunning remarks and being completely stoic, and that scene where
she blocks the sword strike and tells the wife down
was a great moment.

Love Heiji. One of the reasons why I love Crossroads of the Ancient Capital.

Mature

When I get made a mod you shall be the first one to taste the hammer.
That's an odd way to say "give you a pretty sick custom title".

I tried to like Utena, but the formulaic structure with recycled animation turned me off pretty quickly. That is to say, I only watched maybe... four episodes? There didn't seem to be a whole lot to it other than a fantastic visual style. Well, I suppose that's not fair either. The narrative and characters were quaint, but it wasn't really doing anything for me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Next thing you know, we'll find out that firehawk doesn't actually like cherry blossoms and does his schtick because he works for some company selling kleenex.
I wonder who would be dumb enough to pay me money to ruin my own credibility on a site before I even get around to shilling stuff.

CorvoSol

All dem frips yo.

The greatest innovation in 25 years of the series. Its what Street Fighter fans of Chun-Li have been living for decades.

Well I should think it is no secret by now that I work for the produce industry, which is why I always advertise potatoes, tomatoes and oranges. As of Utena I also now advertise Eggs as well.

Ultimadrago

K-On! 10-13

Another beach camp episode and it's inferior to the first one at that. This one was more akin to another of Azusa's research on the K-On! group and its varying members. Sadly for it, I had already been familiarized with them previously and there was little need for a recap on that front. Azusa's connections with the group on a whole feel superficial and overly observational. It's a notably weak episode for what it should have accomplished.

The entirety of episode 11 was simply an annoying drag.

Episode 12 is satisfactory . It has a gathering in the club room, a concert and even has more dress-up.

I'm completely puzzled by the notion that an episode handled Ritsu and didn't turn out completely terrible (like episode 11). Its focus on the group separated also made for much stronger direction than most of the previous episodes ever managed. It also had little-to-no obnoxiously awful background music. This was one of the best episodes of the whole series.

K-On! Special 14 [END]

Unfortunately, this episode has some of the weak tracks from prior episodes. Yet, it was still surprisingly good. The group meeting with other groups was a positive dynamic for the series to touch on. These past two episodes have managed periods of a tame tone yet have managed to be much less laborious to sit through while being more entertaining than the gags in 1-12.

Overall, the series constantly walks a thin, shaky line in quality. There are moments when the interactions and developments are worthy of enjoyment, but the more often weak and long-lasting periods with the group really test the nerves. Most of the conversing isn't executed in a meaningful or skilled manner either (even during character-focused episodes), making it an issue of execution as much as content.

The original soundtrack is also very poor and at times actively distracting. In a show even slightly revolving around music, I would expect that field to be handled with more care. Unfortunately for my ears, it is not the case. This aspect is something I noticed more on this repeat watch than in my initial viewing. The show itself is how I remembered it from those years ago. In perspective of Kyoto Animation, I don't enjoy it remotely to the degree of Nichijou or even Festival Arc Hyouka, but it's somewhat acceptable.

Ura-ON! 1-7

This existed.

Mouryou no Hako 12

The reunion inside the laboratory and how sweet it sounds. After the well-deserved punch I've posted above, Kyougokudou is on the explanation routine again. Again, he is considerably less cryptic than in past explanations and therefore it becomes a pleasure to watch rather than a cumbersome experience. The room is in awe at the revelations they are hearing and the show, in this room, comes back around to the classic mystery storytelling process that it began with. This is based off of written works and I wonder why said books returned to more traditional form after most of the expositional entries.

Perhaps Japanese mysteries have always had a great amount of stories told in this fashion with certain elements, thus creating my novelty into more of a personal naïveté. It's more of a curiousity than a gripe. The atmosphere is set in the "Revelation Room" as a familiar piano tune plays in the background with such a haunting yet graceful compatibility in tandem with the events on-screen.
The next episode is the finale and I wonder how they will follow up all this information with a sendoff to the themes and characters. These payoff episodes have been entertaining. Hopefully there will be a well-directed next episode to wrap it all up.

Where is Kubo?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I tried to like Utena, but the formulaic structure with recycled animation turned me off pretty quickly. That is to say, I only watched maybe... four episodes? There didn't seem to be a whole lot to it other than a fantastic visual style. Well, I suppose that's not fair either. The narrative and characters were quaint, but it wasn't really doing anything for me.
That's fine, I'm just picking on you.
You are getting banned though.

Tamerlane

Banned
I don't really agree with you here because because I don't think works needs to have powerful meaning attached to be enjoyable or 'good'. Even if Bebop was literally about nothing really of substance, which it isn't, the sheer wizardry of its spectacle is still impressive as balls.

I think this convo is dragging on but you're confusing what I'm saying as a "all style no substance" argument, when I'm really just saying the style sucks/is not good/is bad style. I like K-On. The greatest strength of that show is the style in direction. Really I think the lesson here is that the words "style" and "substance" should be retired from the critical vocabulary.

Also I'm sure there are plenty of historical figures who would've liked anime had they been less mainstream and close-minded. Like...uh, Aristotle and um....

You should give it another chance. Utena is one of those shows that gets better as it goes on, and there's a lot more happening in the early episodes than what they initially appear to be. It certainly has a great style, but there's a lot of depth to the characters and the story that develops over the course of the show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Um, there's a ton more than a fantastic visual style. The first arc is pretty much for acclimating the viewer to who people are and how things are done before going deeper.

I think the structure and formula are an asset in this case. At least it prevented the show from becoming the poorly plotted and structured mess Penguindrum was.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You should give it another chance. Utena is one of those shows that gets better as it goes on, and there's a lot more happening in the early episodes than what they initially appear to be. It certainly has a great style, but there's a lot of depth to the characters and the story that develops over the course of the show.
The structure is still set for most of the show, not to mention the recycled footage never really goes away*. It's a rewarding show with a strong cast of characters, but people shouldn't feel obligated to watch it either.

I think the structure and formula are an asset in this case. At least it prevented the show from becoming the poorly plotted and structured mess Penguindrum was.

Not cool. Not cool.

Penguindrum was an incredible show.

The structure is still set for most of the show, not to mention the recycled footage never really goes away*. It's a rewarding show with a strong cast of characters, but people shouldn't feel obligated to watch it either.

True, but I think it's a show that's at least worthy of seeing through the end of the first arc. Not necessarily for everyone, but I think it's worth not judging solely on the first four or five episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom