• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I'd like to put it out there that I am without morals and am completely for sale.

I don't have time to post, I have zero presence in gaming and my animegaf posts are mostly me shilling for Kyoto Animation, Ghibli or Chizu but you are more than welcome to pay me to shill your other non-anime related products.

Here are samples of my work:

The Xbox One doesn't get up in the middle of the night and eat you. I think that's considered a win. #dealwithit

Being always online means we are one step closer to the Sword Art Online world. Who wouldn't want that?! #terribleideas #alwaysonline

Shergal

K-On! 13
Its focus on the group separated also made for much stronger direction than most of the previous episodes ever managed. [...] This was one of the best episodes of the whole series.

YES! K-On! 13 is on par with the best episodes of K-On!! for me. I need to watch it again, it's so good.

If we want to criticize Bebop, we should start with the bloated and poorly paced film.

B-but the sakuga action!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The structure is still set for most of the show, not to mention the recycled footage never really goes away*. It's a rewarding show with a strong cast of characters, but people shouldn't feel obligated to watch it either.
Well, people should feel obligated to try it, but if it simply isn't doing anything for them, then there's not much point in continuing.

feel free to mock, but what heck does sakuga mean?
"sakuga" just means an artistic visual work, but nerds started using it to mean scenes of elaborate animation.

Binbougami ga! 7-8

3j3yf.jpg

The Rindou Ranmaru intro, and a peek into Ichiko's past on why she was a terrible person.

Initially a rival who failed at kicking Ichiko in their match because of light shining (I don't remember if this happened in the manga, but I guess it makes sense instead of them just missing), turned friend upon defending Ranmaru from her father, and making her girly.

The placement for the flashback was different. The conclusion of it occured right after Ranmaru used a Misfortune gadget, but most of it took place before Ichiko was going to save Ranmaru. Not sure why it was moved around, but I'm not complaining here.

Kurumi is terrible, it makes me feel bad that Kurumi is attached to her, considering they're attached to better characters like Erika and Milk. She really gave me these.... yandere vibes, and looked really insane here, moreso than the manga, just to illustrate how conniving she is. What a bitch. Doesn't even sound like she got what she deserved.

Oh well, at least Ichiko finally opened up.

zeroshiki

The major plot points of MPD were planned well, but the flow between them suffered.

Except for one or two godawful episodes in the middle, I thought MPD flowed really well. Everything is magic realism and something being shown onscreen does not necessarily mean that it actually happens etc etc. While I thought it kinda got a bit too crazy with the symbolism towards the end, everything still made perfectly good sense, I felt.

Not cool. Not cool.

Penguindrum was an incredible show.

The structure is rather a mess though, if you think about it. There's some incredible episodes but the show as a whole is less than the sum of its parts.

YES! K-On! 13 is on par with the best episodes of K-On!! for me. I need to watch it again, it's so good.

Episode 13 of K-ON! is the first time the show did away with the 4koma punchlines that it handled poorly and fully embraced the relaxing slice-of-life that it does extremely well.

Mature

True, but I think it's a show that's at least worthy of seeing through the end of the first arc. Not necessarily for everyone, but I think it's worth not judging solely on the first four or five episodes.
Yeah, I could do this. I'm willing to give the show a second chance, I certainly want to like it, and it's gotten more than enough praise around these parts to pique my curiosity.

Cardcaptor Sakura 43

Meilin's departure finally comes and I felt it was executed well enough, I just sort of wish she was a fraction as competent in any other episode than she was in this. I'll miss her even though her entire shtick was being the girl who was obsessed with Shaoran due to childhood affection, essentially being a rival to Sakura and technically Shaoran too in the case of Yukito. Oh god I'll have her "DATTE!" stuck in my head forever.

The structure is rather a mess though, if you think about it. There's some incredible episodes but the show as a whole is less than the sum of its parts.

The structure to the show is certainly very different. I don't know if that makes it a mess, though. I'd probably need to watch the show a second time through to comment on everything related to it, but pretty much the whole time the show was airing I found myself thinking that it was just an incredible experience.

The specific style and structure of the series may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me at least, it hit all the right notes and was pretty much pitch perfect in that regard. Probably the thing which I appreciated most about the structure of the series as it was first airing was the way that it set up certain facts within the series which existed to the viewer, and then slowly pulled back the layers and revealed that things which had been assumed were not actually true.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, I could do this. I'm willing to give the show a second chance, I certainly want to like it, and it's gotten more than enough praise around these parts to pique my curiosity.
By the way, if stock is what bothers you, hit fast forward.

It's what I do for Precure!

CorvoSol

My one beef with Utena so far is that there isn't a duel every single episode, on account of the duels are the best part of this show.

Jintor

The structure to the show is certainly very different. I don't know if that makes it a mess, though. I'd probably need to watch the show a second time through to comment on everything related to it, but pretty much the whole time the show was airing I found myself thinking that it was just an incredible experience.

The specific style and structure of the series may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me at least, it hit all the right notes and was pretty much pitch perfect in that regard. Probably the thing which I appreciated most about the structure of the series as it was first airing was the way that it set up certain facts within the series which existed to the viewer, and then slowly pulled back the layers and revealed that things which had been assumed were not actually true.

It really lost my attention 8 episodes in. I'll have to go back and rewatch it some time.

wonzo

Banned
I find that pretty amusing considering how they're repeating the thing word-for-word, Naruto demotivational and baseball example included.
Well, they seem to have fixed up some of the mistakes they made in the old one so its not all bad!!!

e: elsie cosplayer spotted, superior version confirmed

I need to rewatch it too, and maybe it'll fit together better on a second go around. I think my main problems with it is that there were some teased plot threads that went nowhere, particularly some of the ending cliffhangers, a couple of which seemed superfluous, and the imbalanced character focus (too much focus on Ringo for too long, for instance).

Kayos to make Utena suicide pact.

It shouldn't need to be a "suicide pact".

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ojamajo Doremi 01:

You know, it's really pretty amazing how strongly Satou's expressionism became part of Usagi's identity to me in spite of the fact that he only handled a few episodes per season of Sailor Moon. True cartoon expressionism is one of the most useful but least-used techniques in an animator's toolbag, which, as a few very talented Toei directors have made so clear in their body of work, is a supremely shameful thing. It's a highly effective shorthand for conveying emotion, a medium for conveying the heightened reality and frenetic energy of an animated comedy work, and a channel through which a work with an established, unique, and cohesive style can further apply that style. In cases where the tone and content of the series permit, anime is typically better when it just accepts that it's cartoons too and uses that kind of artistic freedom to its advantage. I fully expect Doremi to be an incredibly satisfying and enjoyable series in that regard. dat unbeatable Satou/Umakoshi/Igarashi combo.

It's also really fukken nice to actually be watching a "traditional" aka non-combat mahou shoujo for once. No fighting hopefully just means more time for antics, less plastic shit peddling, fewer episodes designed solely around extolling virtues to small children, and less bullshit drama and awful Babby's First Plot.

You want to know another reason why I was so wildly apologetic about all of the Precure pimping I've done? It's because it finally dawned upon me after a mere 450 episodes or some shit that it's really fucking bad just as often as it's good and the badness is inherent to the very things that remain constant from season to season and there's no hope of it ever evolving beyond its limitations because the fact that everything about it is commercially manufactured down to the smallest detail means that the boat will never be rocked in any significant way. The rigidity born of the need to conspicuously advertise garbage to children each week, the total avoidance of experimentation, and the demand that all of the protagonists are pure and innocent role models all stifle the franchise's potential to be something that's consistently enjoyable. The first episode of Ojamajo Doremi is already better than at least three whole seasons of Precure, and I'm sure that number will rise as I continue to watch.

Ojamajo Doremi 02:

The cartoony domestic violence is pretty unsettling. I like the idea of characterizing someone not by a direct depiction but by letting the audience deduce this for themselves through observing how people related to that character perceive that character under normal circumstances. It's like seeing a silhouette not by directly looking at it but the negative space around it.
I'm giving way too much credit to a typical Prince and the Pauper scenario, aren't I

Ojamajo Doremi 03:

Aiko: fiery Osakan, straight shooter, tomboy in overalls, dutiful daughter, huge forehead, and did I say Osakan? The perfect character.

Even if I still remembered the twist at the end of the episode from the first time that I tried to watch this, and even if it was predictable, damn this shit is touching.

Ojamajo Doremi 04:

Former magical girls must be in demand by the yakuza for their incredible skill at creating convincing shell businesses designed to hide secret activities. Are stores that are actually just a few dozen handmade items on a couple of tables an actual thing in Japan or is this a cheaper-to-draw sort of thing? (see also: Nuts House in YPC5)

It's a sign of how much the show had made me care about these characters already that I'm actually worried about the effect that becoming witches is going to have on their lives as much as I'm just excited for fun shit to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom