• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

rFrp7oY.jpg

For the new page.

CorvoSol

Gun x Sword 22

Hey what's that in the moon? Oh well, this was a pretty nifty episode for exploring character relationships and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No but seriously what the hell is inside the moon?

Nafe

I thought of Relius Clover.

Now that you mention it, him too! I probably would have thought of him sooner if I actually had the game. :(
His seiyuu is Junichi Suwabe whose voice I really like as well. Chronophantasma scheduled to come out on home consoles sometime in October! A couple new characters as well.

Note that the following have a recommended order:

1. Laws of Eternity
2. Rebirth of Buddha
3. Golden Laws
4. Laws of the Sun
5. Hermes

I was going to ask before, do you just watch these movies or is it a English Dub thing as well like Garzey's Wing?

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 19

You know, there's a lot of BAD fashion sense in the GOTT, but nobody tops Alv and Diverger when it comes to that. They look like bad rejects from a worse movie.

OH COME ON WHAT EVEN IS THIS? TRIPLE CROSSING?

K. I didn't even notice that. heck i didn't even really look at the picture. I glanced it. Noticed it was Kurumi. Then posted in the thread cuz people like Kurumi. lol.

This sounds like a great attitude to take when posting pictures.

That he was. duckroll did not think very much of ufotable.

I was on the train from the beginning.

Yes, but now people have tried to alter history and claim that duckroll was a believer from the beginning. Teach the conspiracy.

I'm currently at epsiode 6 of Hyouka and...well... is something big gonna happen? Something besides school riddles? The Animation may be pretty but that isn't enough for me to sit through all 24 episodes...

The next major arc is pretty good, and the third arc is out of this world, but I wouldn't say anything huge ever happens. If you're not feeling it by Episode 8 or 9, it probably just isn't your thing.

I personally loved the show, but I'm not going to say that you should keep watching it if you really need big things to be happening. It's always more of a slow paced and introspective show.

Tanken Driland: 1000-nen no Mahou Episode 1
tumblr_mnj8syrQoH1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was off to a good start. I like the new aspect of summoning characters from cards, Maybe at least the flame sword Kibamaru can always stay summoned, which Im guessing happens since hes in the OP and ED. Easily the best character design so far. Hagan is likeable as well, the typical main character in these type of anime and his drill/sword is quite versatile and holds tons of potential if the others can keep lending him elemental aide.

Haruka, the navigator ought to have stayed present. She started to grow on me in S1 even though her role was limited but now having her present 1000 years later and not just in the OP role ought to have enabled her to stick around for the main plot.

Looking forward to the actual dungeon rooms again.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Think I'll go with Kenya Boy, ICE, and Earth Maiden Arjuna for now.

Have you seen all of the anime on the list? What would you recommend when I'm done with those?
I've seen most of them.

Garzey's Wing (dub) is an amazingly incoherent personal project by the creator of Gundam paired to one of the worst dub efforts this side of the AB Group dub of the Dragon Ball Z movies(aka Big Green dub, which should also be on this list, actually). The end result is pure comedy and the highlight of this list. Dark Cat (dub) is similar but ranks lower on account of not being as consistently funny and actually having a grating voice.

Black Lion (dub), Sukeban Deka (dub), and Mad Bull 34 (dub) are all works with cheesy and fun stories with dub work that enhances their camp value. Not outright trainwrecks like Garzey's Wing but definitely notable. Angel Cop (dub) is kind of the same, but more inconsistent. Some eps are great, some not. Baoh would belong here, but I forget if the dub was necessary or not.

Street Fighter 2 V is largely an unintentionally funny mess, but it starts stronger than it can sustain, although the end is amusing.

Musashi Gundoh is an animation trainwreck. All of the polish you'd expect from any remotely self-respecting production is completely absent. Coloring errors, line art errors, continuity errors, excessive looping, and so on. Basically the Yashigani ep of Lost Universe's original TV broadcast stretched into a full series.

Mars of Destruction is relatively short, but impressively bad for its running time. Some call it the worst ever, but that claim is highly disputable and some parts are silly enough to be pretty funny. ICE doubles down on the apocalyptic incoherence, adds obviously cut-rate CG, and makes you feel like you've been incredibly trolled by the end.

School Days is, of course, the greek tragedy of harem anime. Shuffle actually transitions from the most boring harem ever to something like this over the second half, but doesn't quite have the guts to follow through to the extent it should. Blood-C, however, steps up to the plate but in a non-harem context.

Earth Girl Arjuna is an overproduced attack on modern society in the form of what Mamoru Oshii would do with a magical girl show. Many of the issues it brings up are actual, legitimate concerns, but the way it addresses them has little basis in scientific fact or thinking and does a disservice to environmentalism by doing so. The soundtrack is one of Youko Kanno's best. Bagi, The Monster of Mighty Nature is a film by the great Osamu Tezuka in much the same fashion, but focuses on the supposed horrors of recombinant genetics while actually arguing the opposite of what it sets out to do. Kinda dull in parts, though, so it's probably best taken as proof that even Arjuna was first done by Tezuka.

Laws of Eternity, Rebirth of Buddha, Golden Laws, Laws of the Sun, and Hermes are all films bankrolled by the Japanese cult Kofuku no Kagaku, or Happy Science. If you enjoyed the Scientology episode of South Park then you should enjoy these films, as they eventually get just as insane if not moreso. Basically, if you ever wanted to see Thomas Edison as an archangel or Hitler leading an army while riding a giant elephant in Hell, look no further. As it happens, these films also feature really high production values.

Code Geass is the original trainwreck anime. What starts as a legitimate mecha show with royals fighting for power and shades of Death Note eventually collapses under its own weight leaving you with a singularity of awful writing and "fuck it" direction.

Finally, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito goes where no other show dares to go. Every episode is an experiment in new and exciting ways to be awful. Character design? Camerawork? Plot coherence? Lighting? Purpose? Think of any measure of objective quality, and at some point this show will stomp on it, but like the best pancakes in the universe, this show tastes of pure love.

What are the caveats for Street Fight II V on that list? I own that crap.
It gets kinda dull in the middle, as I remember.

JCG

Street Fighter 2 V is largely an unintentionally funny mess, but it starts stronger than it can sustain, although the end is amusing.

In my experience, it actually gets boring to watch rather quickly and most of the fights were kinda crappy. I'd prefer fighting game replays over it.

Code Geass is the original trainwreck anime. What starts as a legitimate mecha show with royals fighting for power and shades of Death Note eventually collapses under its own weight leaving you with a singularity of awful writing and "fuck it" direction.

Sunrise shows having a second half with awful writing isn't rare though, and even including R2 it's still better than ~95% of the list on the balance.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In my experience, it actually gets boring to watch rather quickly and most of the fights were kinda crappy. I'd prefer fighting game replays over it.
Fighting game replays don't have the bromance SF2V does.

Sunrise shows having a second half with awful writing isn't rare though, and even including R2 it's still better than ~95% of the list on the balance.
"Better" doesn't mean much in this case, though. What's important is entertainment value.

JCG

Fighting game replays don't have the bromance SF2V does.

But SF2V bromance is nothing compared to Jojo bromance!

"Better" doesn't mean much in this case, though. What's important is entertainment value.

Well, the quality gap between it and the others is rather large.

To make that really true, you'd have to include more entertaining yet flawed shows on the list which aren't so near the literal bottom of the barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom