• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

I guess the only lingering question I have left is:

Is dresden the Dark Souls or Citizen Kane of moderators?

You know, I actually met the fellow who wrote that Empire magazine Last of Us Kane-referencing review a few weeks back, prior to the review going live. It's been really weird to see the fall-out from it...

Mandoric

Banned
My sister really loved Azumanga Daioh so I guess when I think of "moe" I think of that. I don't know if that counts or not. This was many years ago, but I remember it being a little shrill and high energy for my liking. I'm a really really subdued, relaxed kind of person in general so probably an bad fit for the kind of, I don't know, emotional, emotive, expressive, high energy stuff that I would associate with that term.

Moe's a pretty empty term; it basically boils down to "fills the viewer's favorite columns in their internal character-design database". Azumanga drifts the closest of what you've mentioned seeing, though, because you've perceptibly got Shy Girl, Tomboy, Glasses, Airhead, etc.

Unfortunately, your list of "ugh not interested" basically runs down all of the easiest tropes to get funded, and for TV pretty much limits you to single-gender school comedies that aren't trying too hard to push the cast members, and possibly robot war stories that treat the robot like a tank (which is a dead genre anyway).

To come from the same place as the thread normally does, you'll have to have an interest like theirs--"I was in band so I can ignore the squeaky acting and enjoy this sitcom about a high school band club", "my crush wore braids like that, the same colors, and had the same existential issue, so I can tolerate this cheesy romance", "I can come to terms with giant robots fighting if it's a thinly-veiled and accurate metaphor for Vietnam", etc. To watch TV you basically have to figure out what saves a show you wouldn't watch rather than what ruins a show you would.

But! There's no reason that you DO have to take that route. Highbrow movies are the choice for you, because unlike TV anime they're often made as a self-supporting project rather than an advertisement for a multimedia franchise.
All of Duck's suggestions are excellent starting points, but I'd especially suggest Memories because it's a collection of shorts and the greater variety will give you a leg up on narrowing down your tastes.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Date A Live

Fuck Toobitchy. Worst fucking character ever. Bitch should've died. Nothing redeeming at all about her. The only thing that will suck about season 2 is that this fucking character will still be around.

cnet128

Banned
It has been 3 months since he was inside a virtual deathgame run by a certifiable madman where taking a life literally meant taking a life. That he does not pause and freak the fuck out after taking a life but instead REJOICES in having done so calls Kirito's entire character into question.

If Flit Asuno was the Adolf Hitler of protagonists, then Kirito's shaping up to be the Jack the Ripper. You don't bite someone in fucking half and laugh it off three months out of a situation where doing that would have literally killed that person.

Why is Kirito showing no fucking trauma at all from his experiences in SAO?

He has trauma (eg. the whole
party death
thing), but for the most part he came to terms with all that while he was still in SAO. It's not like SAO was all just one big traumatic experience or anything; by the end, it was pretty much just "life" for most people, because they got used to it. I don't think it's any more weird for Kirito to not hesitate killing people in ALO than it is for any normal person to not hesitate killing people in ALO. He can distinguish between ALO and SAO just like any ordinary person can distinguish between ALO and real life.

...And of course, being a badass fighter is Kirito's whole character =p He's an MMOer through and through; acting the hero, striking down enemies and protecting his comrades is basically what he lives for. If anything, it's probably a relief for him that he's finally in a game where he can do all that without having to worry about anybody dying for real...

Now, in entirely unrelated news,

Date A Live 12 END

Yep, that was a pretty nice finale. Nothing particularly shocking or original, but the
fight between Origami and Kotori
was suitably awesome, and the
confrontation between Shidou and Origami
was nice and emotionally-charged on both sides. And always nice to see
Tohka and Yoshino get a piece of the action. Tohka keeps on proving why she is best girl (at least while Kurumi isn't around), even if Yoshino is still cuter in that delicious swimsuit <3

And then there's
some kind of revelation that there was more to the incident five years ago than anyone suspected. So I guess we'll have to find out what really happened back then and who this mysterious "other spirit" is at some point in the future.
Good thing we have a second series confirmed to address all that! I look forward to it.

cajunator

Banned
Date A Live

Fuck Toobitchy. Worst fucking character ever. Bitch should've died. Nothing redeeming at all about her. The only thing that will suck about season 2 is that this fucking character will still be around.

She started out Ok but definitely fell way down the ranks as the show progressed.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 3 part 1

Much as I already don't like Micott, I can't help but wonder how much of Haman has rubbed off on Mineva, or in other words, I don't think it would be unfair if Micott distrusted her. Are those pink finned things referencing the weird ass finned Gundam from SDM? I would think all of UC Gundam would endeavor to ignore 0083.

Holy snot he stole her funnels! I guess that'd be the major downside of a weapon operated by psychic powers. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.
MARIDA IS A PURU!?
Did NOT see that coming. Oh, damn, is that
a Glemy Toto reference?
So the NT-D is pretty sinister sounding. I mean, 4 seasons and a movie of UC Gundam have lead me to understand that
becoming a Newtype is supposed to be a generally good thing for a person and humanity in general. So why design a Gundam of all things with a system to seek and kill other Newtypes?
It's rather sinister.

Man, all this talk of Laplace's box is enough to make a curious person go insane. No wonder Pandora opened hers. And Banagher and the Unicorn are only keys to it. And this woman has a very, very manly chin. This talk of "responsibility" is also pretty good for a Gundam show. It's straightforward, to the point, and it makes sense. It isn't laden with an absurd amount of pseudo philosophy and jabber talk like some Gundam series. It's just "You can do something about this, so take responsibility."

BluWacky

Stump you should watch J-dramas, they're better than all these childish silly animus (&#65507;^&#65507;)

tumblr_ma1mnmTZSP1qi4a4yo1_500.png

Yup, totally.

Ojamajo Doremi - 03

Ai-chan
mother left her after fighting with her dad when she was four
. ;___;
She was introduced as an asshole, playing tricks, being rude but she truly has a heart of gold, helpful, tomboy, osaka ben, I feel like i'll have a good time with her antics,
Her father was awesome too, the more Osaka ben the merrier.

CorvoSol

He has trauma (eg. the whole
party death
thing), but for the most part he came to terms with all that while he was still in SAO. It's not like SAO was all just one big traumatic experience or anything; by the end, it was pretty much just "life" for most people, because they got used to it. I don't think it's any more weird for Kirito to not hesitate killing people in ALO than it is for any normal person to not hesitate killing people in ALO. He can distinguish between ALO and SAO just like any ordinary person can distinguish between ALO and real life.

...And of course, being a badass fighter is Kirito's whole character =p He's an MMOer through and through; acting the hero, striking down enemies and protecting his comrades is basically what he lives for. If anything, it's probably a relief for him that he's finally in a game where he can do all that without having to worry about anybody dying for real...

That still doesn't address what I'm talking about. Kirito was in a digital world where killing someone meant actually killing them. Three months back this had been his world for 2 years. Then, without the slightest hesitation he is fucking murdering people everywhere. Basically, telling him "it's just a game" makes him not even once question it. And it contradicts what you've said, since he still freaks out over parties dying but now has no concern about killing people. It's inconsistent.

Furthermore, SAO WAS an unending trauma. Particularly the way that it ended.
Without any resolution whatsoever, the whole thing abruptly ends, with no explanation from the man who held him prisoner for two years and murdered 4000 people. It just ENDS. And when it does, Kirito is missing two years of life in the real world, and should likewise be struggling with the fact that he cannot discuss the two years he spent in another reality with ANYONE, and that in that world he had a wife and child and that one day these things were abruptly ripped from him.

What does Kirito do, instead of consider the fact that he's killing people now with ease and relish in a world identical to one where doing so would've made him a monster? What does Kirito do instead of worrying about the wife he's lost and who is, you know, now 5 days away from certain doom?

GOES ON FUCKING VIRTUAL DATES WITH HIS SISTER.

Sword Art Online is the worst. Whatever value this show had, it ended when
the villain literally went "I have no fucking idea why I did this to you."
And then they introduced the pedobait incest pandering Bitch King of Angmar to the plot.

Jex

Wait, Stump has been posting in here? The world has turned upside down! Cats and dogs are living together!

Jex

Yes it bothers me because Sugu is a little kid. It's one thing to objectify a full grown lady. It's another thing entirely to do it to a 14 year old girl. It passes from fanservice to absofuckinglutely creepy as all fucking hell in no time flat.

There is no universe where Suguha's fanservice should be considered an acceptable thing. She's already a terrible fucking character who singlehandedly brings down the already stupid show a whole fucking tier, then they have to go and stuff the camera down her breasts. And it's not even, say, MJP's harmless "Hey Tamaki has stupid large boobs duh huh huh" it's HERE STARE AT THIS BARELY OUT OF PUBERTY GIRL'S NAKED BREASTS FOR A MINUTE AS EUPHEMISTIC WATER SLIDES DOWN IT.

It crosses the line twice. It's one thing to do fanservice. It's another to spend lingering shots of a naked child's breasts.
You're completely right even if SAO is hardly an outlier in this area.

/XX/

Whoa at all these changes overnight! New design, mayhem of incompatibilities with previous scripts... Dresden and Seda now moderators? Cool! I wish for you an easy-going moderation.

Today, a package arrived that contained the final parts of my collection:
Are those patches the ones made by Mikan as well?

Hasn't Ducky been doing this for years?
And Westlo, and 7Th...

I did like what I saw of Cowboy Bebop. I like all the Ghibli films I've seen, some more than others. I liked Tekkonkinkreet. The Girl who Lept Through Time. Dragona recommended me some anime about an archaeologist once but I can't remember what it was called now and I never was able to track it down.
Mr. Urasawa's MASTER Keaton?

Jex

I fucking called it. Every harem series these days has to have the new gimmick of having a little sister....the fuck is wrong with you Japan, when will you get over little sisters.

We all have Oreimo to thank for making them bigger then ever! However, they're hardly a new phenomenon, see Cream Lemon: "Be My Baby" from 1984. Or rather, don't watch it, read about it.

Beck 1-5
This is like a lesser version of an Overdrive VN. I'm not sure whether or not I like it at this point, but all the Engrish is killing me.

Jex

The anime streaming service Daisuki announced on Friday that it is partnering with Aniplex of America to stream the Monogatari Series Second Season television anime series as it airs. The anime will be Daisuki's first simulcast anime title. The series will premiere on Daisuki exclusively on July 6 a few hours after its broadcast in Japan. The simulcast will be free and in HD quality.

Daisuki will also stream Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and Nekomonogatari (Black). Monogatari Series Second Season and Nekomonogatari (Black) will be available for streaming in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari will be available for viewers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-21/daisuki-to-stream-mongatari-series-2nd-season-anime

who the hell is daisuki?
Huh, that's fascinating. I guess even Japanese companies are realising that they might as well embrace this whole broadcasting to the wider world thing.

Mr.Jeff

I'm not one for doujins, surprisingly. The couple I have read were about Erica and there was one where Sanya had several tails that I can't recall.
I'm surprised by this! I thought after watching series like Strike Witches, it was just a matter of course to fall into doujins. Especially when you end up with things like this:
twXvDVI.jpg

Although since I've seen you reference null a few times, lewd artwork isn't out of your remit...

Now I feel exposed. I wish Nafe was the only one stalking us.
Not to keep mentioning it but I've been pn/off stalking this place since back in 2007 when the Gurren Lagann explosion happens but only registered at the start of the year. Even if you don't contribute, it's still a fairly fun place to read through and you can pick up some neat recommendations like Oh Edo Rocket which I would have never have started on.

Of course you still have to deal with some overhype and bad recommendations as well: I ended up watching Kimikiss (which was dreadful) and got suckered into starting Star Driver.

I still find it weird the way some people post on here though...

They should just accept reality and open the Hentai|OT| since everyone who likes anime is perverted+weird+creepy anyway. Even perverts have human rights (this is what Onani Master Kurosawa taught me) and one such right is the right to discuss sexual animation in an intelligent fashion
I thought that's what the irc channel was for?

Edit: Also, congratulations Dresden!

Theonik

I'm surprised by this! I thought after watching series like Strike Witches, it was just a matter of course to fall into doujins. Especially when you end up with things like this:
http://i.imgur.com/twXvDVI.jpg

Although since I've seen you reference null a few times, lewd artwork isn't out of your remit...
It's just that Strike Witches doujins or at least the ones that are translated are largely meh.
Fanart on the other hand is good!

Not to keep mentioning it but I've been pn/off stalking this place since back in 2007 when the Gurren Lagann explosion happens but only registered at the start of the year. Even if you don't contribute, it's still a fairly fun place to read through and you can pick up some neat recommendations like Oh Edo Rocket which I would have never have started on.

Of course you still have to deal with some overhype and bad recommendations as well: I ended up watching Kimikiss (which was dreadful) and got suckered into starting Star Driver
I was just joking, I don't have any problems with lurkers. Though with the pace this place has been going at the past few years, lurking here must be a pain.
I still find it weird the way some people post on here though...
I'm interesting in what you specifically mean by this.

Mr.Jeff

It's just that Strike Witches doujins or at least the ones that are translated are largely meh.
Fanart on the other hand is good!
Well yeah, I can agree with you on both of those points.
Shirley is best witch.

I'm interesting in what you specifically mean by this.
I'm not really sure I can explain it. Some posters just seem to be able post a kind of stream of consciousness about anything and everything just off the top of their head. Granted it's largely anime based but it can move off into some more... unusual directions at times.

I find that quite a hard thing to do; by and large I mostly quote people and respond from there unless I have a specific related thing to post such as impressions on watch Tokyo Godfathers or such where I feel I have a valid reason for creating a post from scratch.

We all have Oreimo to thank for making them bigger then ever! However, they're hardly a new phenomenon, see Cream Lemon: "Be My Baby" from 1984. Or rather, don't watch it, read about it.

I watched it.....its hentai -___- . I'm just bewildered as to why incest is such a big genre in anime and manga. Oreimo did bring it to the "mainstream", hopefully after that series dies we can move onto the next big thing in harem shows, whatever thats going to be.

I'm not really sure I can explain it. Some posters just seem to be able post a kind of stream of consciousness about anything and everything just off the top of their head. Granted it's largely anime based but it can move off into some more... unusual directions at times.

I find that quite a hard thing to do; by and large I mostly quote people and respond from there unless I have a specific related thing to post such as impressions on watch Tokyo Godfathers or such where I feel I have a valid reason for creating a post from scratch.
I can see what you mean. I don't really make posts like that except when I'm drinking. Alcohol probably quadruples my posting rate. Even then I rarely make long stream of consciousness posts. Even when I have something to say, a paragraph is enough to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom