• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

What happened recently?

Newish poster Tamerlane was banned in thread over in Off-Topic. As Stump points out, he was being quite abrasive (as he has been in other threads) so his banning isn't particularly surprising. It's a shame because he certainly brought a certain level of discourse to the table that I really appreciated but he wasn't going to last long with that tone.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 13

Yep, recap episode. Still trying to parse
what stopped Cleo from killing Vetti. God is all I can come up with.
Not angry, just shaking my head in a mix of bewilderment and amusement.

Halfway through this pile of crap. And supposedly the second half is even dumber. We'll see.

Newish poster Tamerlane was banned in thread over in Off-Topic. As Stump points out, he was being quite abrasive (as he has been in other threads) so his banning isn't particularly surprising. It's a shame because he certainly brought a certain level of discourse to the table that I really appreciated but he wasn't going to last long with that tone.

The big reason that people were angry (including myself) was that in that thread, Tamerlane had been banned, but a user who attacked him on the grounds of "lol anime avatar" had, at the time, not. Stump says he's been banned, which is good. But at the time, it seemed as though a moderator had went through the thread and deemed that to be acceptable behavior. As Stump said, it doesn't always work that way with how mods go through threads. But this was hardly the first time we've seen that behavior, and when it felt like that behavior was being tolerated, it just pissed some of us off.

Branduil

Glass Fleet 13

Yep, recap episode. Still trying to parse
what stopped Cleo from killing Vetti. God is all I can come up with.
Not angry, just shaking my head in a mix of bewilderment and amusement.

Halfway through this pile of crap. And supposedly the second half is even dumber. We'll see.

There's no "supposedly" about it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
In case you didn't see the responses before, the archaeology anime you were probably looking for was Master Keaton.

I did catch some of the recommendations (thanks to everyone, especially Mandoric whose insight was very interesting to me) but I didn't want to make the thread about me rather than all the Spring 2013 stuff you guys are watching and I knew that red name presence from a rube who had no real business or interest in here was making people nervous ;)

Branduil

I did catch some of the recommendations (thanks to everyone, especially Mandoric whose insight was very interesting to me) but I didn't want to make the thread about me rather than all the Spring 2013 stuff you guys are watching and I knew that red name presence from a rube who had no real business or interest in here was making people nervous ;)

Talking about Spring 2013 anime is only a fraction of what goes on in here.

Oops, I've said too much.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Pretty cool of you to post that Stump. :)

=====================================

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - 12&13 [Season 1 END]

WRxAPiA.png
FrtUy6b.png

ab3Zrcl.png
zJAwfrS.png

:sdburton

Oh wow what an ending. That whole scene with Fate
repeatedly calling out Nanoha's name as they stared into each others eyes was beautiful.
Sucks that the Chrono kid is still alive, but whatever.

Will be starting the next season shortly, first need to watch the latest DokiDoki! Precure as well as that Chuuni OVA.

Don't sweat that. Even though the thread may have a season title there's plenty of us going through backlogs watching shows that aired years back.

repeatedly calling out Nanoha's name as they stared into each others eyes was beautiful.

Will be starting the next season shortly, first need to watch the latest DokiDoki! Precure as well as that Chuuni OVA.

Definitely looking forward to your A's impressions. One of my favorite shows ever.

Actually, all anime talk is welcome here, including asking for recommendations and old shows/movies. When the community blew up, the seasonal part of the title became less important. Yeah, the majority of the posts are about shows from said season, but there are plenty of people in here that don't even watch modern shows and post their impressions about old stuff.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

People really shouldn't fear mods/admins. If you're posting properly and are acting within according to the ToS then everything is all good. It's as if people are hiding something!

Actually, all anime talk is welcome here, including asking for recommendations and old shows/movies. When the community blew up, the seasonal part of the title became less important. Yeah, the majority of the posts are about shows from said season, but there are plenty of people in here that don't even watch modern shows and post their impressions about old stuff.

Yup. We just had people finish Sword Art Online and that's not even from this season.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory 6-7

The romance in this is really really bad. There was absolutely no development to justify it and the characters acted way to erratically. Kiefer Sutherland is still an absolute boss and the Mobile Armor looked really snazzy. Also I watched a clip of the Gundam ZZ dub and I'm surprised it never made it stateside because it's honestly not nearly as bad as Stardust Memory's.

yami4ct

Nice post Stump. It's always great to have mods directly respond to conserns of one particular group. It really does show you guys do care.

I'm not going to lie, I think GamingGaf is an absolute mess. Any topic bigger than a single game series is nearly impenetrable in its negativity. There's a real pervasive lack of respect for others opinions and no real clue on how to conduct thoughtful conversation. I definitely avoid any sort of larger threads because of that.

I think, as a small group, it's easy for Anime fans to see ourselves as victims, but I don't really see it as such. I feel like the negative parts of gaf are negative to everyone. Anime fans just give them a specific way to target a user. I don't really feel a negative towards me because I watch anime more than just the surrounding negativity that's already there. Sure, I'd love it if we could go a while without another "let's bash anime art" gaming thread, but I won't say that our side is innocent either. It's a real problem I just don't see a solution for.

All that being said, smaller communities around specific games or hobbies are amazing and have a ton of great people and wonderful discussion. I have to give special props to threads like the Animal Crossing OT. They are some of the most helpful and nicest folks around. It's stuff like that that helps drown out the negative parts of gaf and keeps it worth visiting.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
And I don't want to dwell on it, but I am glad the higher-ups at least know about how the forum has grown and its sudden aversion to "nerdiness" and less "well-adjusted" people. That virgin thread was a mess.
I think things like that can be misunderstood, I mean they are definitely some alpha-male types in GAF. But I feel one of the best parts about the community is it generally does look out for those less socially-adjusted by giving them life-long advice and stuff.;p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

yami4ct

Dude, don't worry about it. All kinds of people and anime talk are welcome. Heck, most of what I'm posting about and have been since I've got here is older shows. You're welcome here any time. We can always use different tastes and perspectives. It keeps the conversation lively.

Hi there. I'm posting here to directly respond to posts and because I received a PM from someone in this thread who I respect very fully and whose counsel I value. I'm not here to make you guys feel uncomfortable or like you're being punished. If you feel like you want to reply to this in here, feel free to do so--normally we ask that replies on mod stuff go in PM to avoid derailing but I'm saying this just so it's really clear I don't have anything to hide here. If you feel like replies in here will derail the thread, reply to me in PM if you have any input. If you think I'm an idiot, go ahead and tell me--I'm not here to punish anyone.

RE: Tamerlane; it wasn't my ban, but it's in keeping with how we moderate. He was rude, hostile, and openly insulting to other users. That's grounds for a ban. That's something we ban for. Sometimes it sucks when someone is a bright and positive contributor (someone here linked a post that seemed to me to be pretty thoughtful) who also comes with some baggage; the hardest bans to do are bans against users that you like, if only they'd avoid doing that thing that gets them banned. I'm sure Hito can vouch that there have been a lot of users over the years that carry with them positive contributions, but also rule-breaking baggage.

If other users were also insulting to him on the same level, we would go through the thread and deal with that. The "you have an anime avatar, your opinions are invalid" poster was banned, so I'm not sure where the double standard is at this point. Sometimes one user gets picked up before another. Sometimes when we moderate a thread we take action on a few users individually and then wait until a moderate has time to sweep the whole thread. Not asking you to give us the benefit of the doubt, just to say that sometimes it's worth waiting a little while before forming a conclusion about the conversation going on behind the scenes.

I am sorry that you feel you don't have a safe space there. Some of what you're assessing is correct and a function of the way the site has grown. We've talked a lot about it in private, about trying to make people feel more welcome. We have a pretty good handle on open insults, but maybe not casual disrespect. We have more work to do. I do think that you are right to note that, to some extent, the culture of the forum has shifted in a way that the majority opinion is sort of socially outgoing, "well-adjusted", and behaviours associated with "nerdiness" can get frowned upon or get a bad reaction. I don't know that it's easy to police for that or easy to solve beyond encouraging people to be nicer to each other as a matter of basic decency.

Personal advice threads are particularly bad for it, because the formula is generally: Someone who is lacking a basic life skill makes a thread asking for help, they get mocked for lacking a basic life skill making it harder for them to learn it. I think a long time ago on GAF someone would be more likely to get a little bit of good natured ribbing, but now it's probably at the point where the tone of the thread is mostly negative. Sometimes the person making the thread contributes to it by being pre-emptively cocky or defensive (or really not even making a minimum amount of effort to think through the situation themselves) but that's not an excuse.

I do not agree that it's constructed among explicitly heteronormative lines because I think both in terms of our rules and in terms of our forum culture, we have a generally safe and welcome space for users regardless of sexual orientation. It's not perfect, of course, and I think everyone on staff takes improving it seriously. We're not paid for this, we do this because we want to make a positive difference on the forum and help out.

If you ever see an indication that you're not welcome anywhere on GAF, please tell me and I'll step in to make sure you are.

I know Kabouter very well. He is not a party bro. He is not an alpha male. He is not an aggressive guy. I have never seen him get angry, I have never seen him be rude to someone. He is an extremely tolerant guy and I have never seen him hold it against someone that they are weird or different. And he'll be the first to admit that he's a weird guy too. He's Dutch, he likes bad european electronic music, he's quiet, he likes history and tax law, he likes bad made-for-TV movies like Mega Crocosaurus vs Mecha Sharktopus, and he's really hard on himself. I don't say this to set you up on a date, but to make it clear that whatever he said, I hope you know that he's a good guy and I think he'd be a good friend to anyone in this community if they needed help, including in dealing with the poster who was rude to Tamerlane.

I'll take your word that he said what you said, but just to provide some context I will expect that he meant it in an extremely light-hearted and joking manner. I can personally tell you that I've never seen him moderate against people on any kind of basis like that. He is one of the most progressive people on the team, and he is one of the most active in moderating against hostile, racist, or hateful viewpoints. And yeah, he makes fun of me for my weird eccentricities too, and my weird tastes. And I make fun of duckroll. And duckroll makes fun of EatChildren. And EatChildren makes fun of Kabouter. We have a very jovial atmosphere. Maybe sometimes when we post stuff that we think comes off as light-hearted or joking, other people read it as insulting or personal. I understand if you don't take my word for it.

When we make suggestions to EviLore for new moderation candidates, we look at all communities. I know Dresden posts here. Other people whose names we kicked around on a sort of long-list and then short-list were involved here too. As a staff, I promise, we're not hostile to the contributors here.

As a general point to the thread, I understand if you feel like it's hard to participate on GAF outside this thread. I'm sorry if people make you feel that way. I'm especially sorry if anyone involved in moderation does. I understand the temptation to stay in here where you feel safe and comfortable, and I wouldn't stop anyone from doing that. But besides some of the jerk users, there are also a lot of great users outside the thread. I hope you do manage to participate elsewhere here and think of yourself as part of a bigger community. We're going to try to do a better job at dealing with threads where no one is doing anything bannable, but a lot of users are just being low-level not very nice to others. I'm not sure it's even possible to curb that behaviour at a place this size but hopefully we can make an impact. We're still going to ban people for being openly rude and hurtful, but we're trying to do better to stop situations where 10 people gang up on one, the one becomes defensive, and then crosses the line--if we don't stop that, then we encourage a situation where everyone is just nice enough to avoid being banned, but no nicer, and that sucks.

Sorry for taking up space in here. Have a nice day.

Great post. I don't think any right minded poster will discriminate against someone for having an anime avatar. The rare occasion I have seen it is in those anime = pedophilia threads were people who have avatars with young looking girls get shamed on but its kinda like those only on xbox, playstation or nintendo avatars that get quoted when the user makes a certain post.

Stump does things because he's more than just a mod. He's the peak form of a GAF user. Few of us are still at level 2. Stump is good people. Even enjoy his posts on Gaming side.

Does Regina
even need to be a Cure? She is already stronger than all four of them.

It's how it usually is when they're introduced, but generally speaking, they're better than the usual Cures. Even Cure Passion was above the others.

...Max Heart had a midseason climax? ~.~

Hell if I remember. It's been since March since I watched Max Heart, and I pretty much crammed that in 2 days.

Anyway, to Stump, if he's still in here, I generally lurked, didn't post much mainly because I have the ability to forget that I posted somewhere, so I didn't want to initiate arguments and just leave them on the table as is. Sticker Star OT was the first place I set foot in for a while, but this is where I've relocated at since it's much easier to digest and remain calm for the most part.

Anyway that above is fluff. Right now, the main reason why I've shyed away from Gaming Side, is (excuse me for my rudeness) because it feels like a carnival of stupid right now. I understand criticizing companies for their actions, but only to an extent. When it comes to people making threads that have an obvious agenda (even if its an announcement), it makes me shake my head. I wouldn't mind posting reasonable arguments since that's what I tend to do there, but I'm not even sure if people are willing to listen to what is being said (like the WWHD topic). Nevermind the hyperbolic attitude that occurs just because someone didn't get what they wanted, on top of me recalling past events of demands from people for new, refreshing games that get thrown under a bus anyway. And so it makes me feel as if I could post snarky comments, but rather not do that. I don't think being calm is something that's easy, even though I want to try again later. That is why I don't post on Gaming Side. It's too venomous.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So? My point still stands.

There are probably a dozen or more active moderators, and some of them do a lot more of the housekeeping stuff than me (Nirolak is an unsung hero when it comes to splitting threads, fixing titles, etc) There are probably 10 mods who do more punitive/disciplinary stuff than I do. Several have a higher postcount than I do. Our new mods are already doing a lot of hard work and GhaleonEB stepped up to deal with one of the longest-running community issues we've had here. Even when I post know that I'm posting and giving my own thoughts but also taking into account the really awesome conversations I've had with everyone else about this sort of stuff. I don't deserve any credit that you wouldn't give to the entire team. :)

Nice post Stump. It's always great to have mods directly respond to conserns of one particular group. It really does show you guys do care.

I'm not going to lie, I think GamingGaf is an absolute mess. Any topic bigger than a single game series is nearly impenetrable in its negativity. There's a real pervasive lack of respect for others opinions and no real clue on how to conduct thoughtful conversation. I definitely avoid any sort of larger threads because of that. .

Isnt that true in any thread, people having to defend and facing pressure and resistance against posting their own impressions on anime in their own special way, even here...

There are probably a dozen or more active moderators, and some of them do a lot more of the housekeeping stuff than me (Nirolak is an unsung hero when it comes to splitting threads, fixing titles, etc) There are probably 10 mods who do more punitive/disciplinary stuff than I do. Several have a higher postcount than I do. Our new mods are already doing a lot of hard work and GhaleonEB stepped up to deal with one of the longest-running community issues we've had here. Even when I post know that I'm posting and giving my own thoughts but also taking into account the really awesome conversations I've had with everyone else about this sort of stuff. I don't deserve any credit that you wouldn't give to the entire team. :)

I'm still convinced Nirolak is a robot.

yami4ct

Isnt that true in any thread, people having to defend and facing pressure and resistance against posting their own impressions on anime in their own special way, even here...
It happens in smaller threads, but I don't see it as the norm. In larger threads, there is far more yelling, obstructive bs than there is real, thoughtful conversation.

Pretty cool of you to post that Stump. :)

=====================================

Don't sweat that. Even though the thread may have a season title there's plenty of us going through backlogs watching shows that aired years back.

actually before any of that, do watch the movie version of season 1.

Jex

As a general point to the thread, I understand if you feel like it's hard to participate on GAF outside this thread. I'm sorry if people make you feel that way. I'm especially sorry if anyone involved in moderation does. I understand the temptation to stay in here where you feel safe and comfortable, and I wouldn't stop anyone from doing that. But besides some of the jerk users, there are also a lot of great users outside the thread. I hope you do manage to participate elsewhere here and think of yourself as part of a bigger community. We're going to try to do a better job at dealing with threads where no one is doing anything bannable, but a lot of users are just being low-level not very nice to others. I'm not sure it's even possible to curb that behaviour at a place this size but hopefully we can make an impact. We're still going to ban people for being openly rude and hurtful, but we're trying to do better to stop situations where 10 people gang up on one, the one becomes defensive, and then crosses the line--if we don't stop that, then we encourage a situation where everyone is just nice enough to avoid being banned, but no nicer, and that sucks.
I'd just like to say that, for the most part, I don't find it difficult to post outside this thread and I rarely encounter what you describe as 'low-level not very nice' behaviour to, for example, people with anime avatars. Then again, that might just be because I spent a lot of time posting all across the forum before I devoted more of my energies here. I suppose it's different for those who mainly arrived to post directly in this and related threads.

I must confess that the content of these threads isn't really confined to season at hand and so general comments about any work from any time are encouraged.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Don't worry about your red name Stumpy, we've managed to handle Hito
the king is dead long live the new king etc
and Ducky so far!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd just like to say that, for the most part, I don't find it difficult to post outside this thread and I rarely encounter what you describe as 'low-level not very nice' behaviour to, for example, people with anime avatars. Then again, that might just be because I spent a lot of time posting all across the forum before I devoted more of my energies here. I suppose it's different for those who mainly arrived to post directly in this and related threads.

I don't have trouble posting elsewhere either but I can understand how people feel a certain way. For me people always say GamingGAF is place that can get you banned easily but I don't feel that way at all.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
We talk about more than the seasonal anime in here. Mainly because the seasonal anime is, for the most part, crap.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 22

Guys. Guys don't do this. This isn't what you want.

Forget impressions, watching next episode NOW.

Chronoexe

Oreimo S2 - 12

First Kuroneko, now godess Ayase fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

fuck this shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit Fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Kyousuke

he left the second best girl for his bitch sister

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

asfasdgsdagsdasdfbhandgdgtdfhgs<fzdgdsdfbnf

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

cajunator

Banned
CorvoSol: You keep on doing what you've been doing as you please. The thread would be worse off without what you do.

Agreed. corvy Kun is awwweeeeeeesoooommmmeeeee!!!!

Without having read more than that one page, I can't believe that guy sunk as low as using an avatar for an argument. The only way that gets worse is mocking a username. Could've at least been clever and avatar quoted him.

I can believe it cause it happens all the time!
Except when they use it against me it doesnt really work because I dont give a shit and I keep talking.
I might add a :hugs avatar to rub it in though.

You should have given it to me!

Well have you ever noticed how a lot of the "OT regulars" say that they don't go into the gaming side anymore because it's so easy to get banned there? That's pretty telling.

Man, there are so many mods now that I've never seen like half of them.

I try not to post there much because it IS more sensitive to sarcasm and such that could get you banned unintentionally.

not sure if posted: love lab pv

It looks pleasantly generic...

So because some may perhaps feel cheated by my scathing review of the final episode of Sword Art Online last night, I thought I'd take the time to explain, without hyperbole, vitriol or coarse language, how I really feel about the show.

The simplest explanation comes foremost, for those looking to skip this post: The first 14 episodes of the show are okay, but stupid. Episodes 15-24 are the worst thing I've ever seen an anime do to itself ever. The 25th episode is also okay.

Moving more in depth from there, though, I guess I'll go at it piece by piece. The show's animation and music were okay, although CG is not my thing at all, and I felt gipped by most action sequences. That said, I'd say that the way characters moved was mostly okay, and in fact Sugou's interactions were the saving grace of the 10 episodes I hated, since they got across the idea of a man trying to rape a teenage girl well enough. The first OP and ED were considerably better than the 2nd, and the duel music was pretty nice, too.

As to the supporting cast, while it is fun to say that Egil and Klein and Lizbeth were better characters than the lead cast, its also unfair, as none of them spend nearly as much time on screen as the lead. That said, Klein, Egil and Lizbeth were memorable, enjoyable faces that made those first 14 episodes what they were.

Regarding Light Novels, while I harumphed at cnet many times, his knowledge of them did fill in the gaps that the anime never touched and did answer some questions which the anime would eventually answer. The thing is that, as a fan of Full Metal Panic! I can't treat LNs as canon to an anime adaptation since there's often quite a bit of disparity.

The plot of the first 14 episodes is relatively harmless as well. As was discussed when I noted that it reminded me of Digimon and others have stated with the dothack comparisons, the premise of kids trapped in a digital world is nothing particularly groundbreaking, but its an appealing and safe choice to make your story work. The arc's conclusion was bafflingly mishandled, though, and this was the beginning of my actual discontent with the show.

I'll readily throw out that the chief problem was that Kayaba suddenly had no pressing motivation. I cannot describe the feeling without any hyperbole, so please forgive me this once, but it was something like if the Count of Monte Cristo had had Mondego pleading at Dantes' feet for an explanation for all this carnage and suffering he had inflicted on him and his associates, only for the Count to shrug and go "Idk lol." It was immensely disappointing, and to see it never explained over the course of the show was upsetting.

That said, the following area of the show suffered greatly due to a waste of potential I'll discuss in a moment. First, though, the romance. I want to say Kirito and Asuna was an an endearing relationship which won me over in spite of myself, but that would be a lie. Asuna was an endearing girlfriend who won me over in spite of myself. Kirito is the Bella Swan of anime protagonists. He's a blank slate that any guy in the target demographic can slip into and pretend he is. He has no personality beyond what the viewer decides he has. He doesn't react to the life he takes, to Suguha's confession, to Asuna's needs in any distinct way. Instead he reacts in a neutral way so that the viewer can decide that "Yes, Kirito comforted Asuna here because he loved her" or "No, Kirito said nothing to Asuna here and only held her because he doesn't love her and doesn't know how to say it." and so on. Asuna was endearing, Kirito was tepid.

So I think at this point I've discussed why the first 14 episodes, barring the failure to climax, were an okay, if stupid show for teens. The last episode was good because aside from one moment I will discuss further down, it was a decent emotional payoff to the arc and as satisfactory a conclusion as the show could hope to have. Now let's talk about why the Alfheim Arc didn't work.

Frankly, it didn't feel like the same show. Beginning with the wasted potential, there was just so much they could have done there which would have made the show better. Showing Kirito cope with a world in which he was neither powerful nor notable would have been a smart choice, or making the tone more serious as he focused on trying to save Asuna. Ultimately, though, it felt as if Aincrad should have lasted a full season and Alfheim been saved for a second season, at which point the cast of Alfheim would have had a chance to develop and a much needed examination of Kirito's psyche after the things he went through in SAO and his return to the real world could have been done.

Next is the character of Suguha/Leafa. I'm all for introducing a romantic false lead for the hero as he tries to save the heroine. Full Metal Panic does this twice to great effect. Making that character the hero's younger sister is the worst decision possible, though. As a girl in the middle of a quest to save a heroine she was already bound for Worst Girl status from the get go, because audiences are bound not to like a woman who stands in the way of an OTP. But there was no reason for Suguha to also be Kirito's sister. Making her his cousin did not alleviate this situation at all and in fact may have aggravated it. You can argue that my dislike of incest relationships is a product of a western culture, but I sincerely doubt the average Japanese guy isn't going to be as repulsed by the thought of dating his sister as I am. Either way, it was unnecessary, and Suguha's tantrums and character consumed entirely too much of the time that should have been spent on developing Kirito. It was so bad that in the last scene of the show, Kirito is dancing around in the starlit, romantic atmosphere with his sister, and not the woman he wed and spent all this time trying to save.

Then there was the tentacle rape. What possible need was there for those guys to be shown as purple tentacle slugs? I cannot see a reason for it, in story nor out. More to the point, though, when we already have Sugou trying to rape and molest Asuna every single episode, why do I need to see two slug men doing it, too? What was the point of seeing Asuna bite down on a phallic purple tendril at all?

There's also the fact that at the end of the show, Kirito brutally savages his nemesis, then accepts encouragement from and delivers praise to a mass murderer. That scene was so far beyond sane that I could not believe my eyes.Nothing about that was okay.

The Alfheim arc also spends too much time building up this situation of tenacious racial politics and an attempt on the World Tree, only for a very small group of players to break through with relative ease and for Kirito to literally skip the heavily advertised dungeon. It feels like an entire plot is just cut in favor of rushing a finale after squandering so much time on a race feud that served literally no importance to the plot.

TL;DR version of this is again that Ep 1-14 and 25 are okay, but Ep 15-24 are truly awful. Reasons being incest, waste of potential, waste of time, tentacle rape and praising a mass murderer, just off the top of my head.

You sure write an awful lot about a show that doesnt deserve it.
But I agree generally. 1-14 was passable except for lack of best characters. 15+ is insipid garbage that I didnt even bother to watch. And I watch some really insipid garbage.

LOL

But what is it about?

Also, can someone point me to Firehawk's famous comment? I looked for it for over an hour yesterday and got bored and quit. Although I did find a funny post where DTL shipped like all of anime GAF.

Lol that shipping post was masterful. Zel-chan is my uke forever <3

School Days is certainly not brilliantly written. From a character motivation and pure, realistic, plot sense, it doesn't work very well. That's a problem with a lot of television, though, so having leaps in character logic isn't a deal breaker.

What School Days does brilliantly, though, is the build up. It's cleverly paced in a lot of ways. It starts harmlessly enough, but then the events start stacking up. You see the horrible consequences coming from a mile away, but you're never sure how horrible things will get.

And, the thing about that show is I think a lot of the female characters are sort of likable. Unlike the piece of shit main dude, you don't really want to see horrible things happen to them. You don't want to see them dragged to hell with him. The ending events carry some emotional weight because it isn't just Mokoto's life that's screwed, it's everyone around him. I found that to be pretty effective.

Yeah, I actually do think School Days is worth watching for the actual show rather than just the shock value of the ending. It's not brilliant by any stretch, but it pulls off some interesting character moments that make the short running span worth going through.

School Days is notable for knowing exactly what it wanted to do and executing it absolutely masterfully to the conclusion.

Well, I'm sure glad that I've never been harrased about my choice of Avatar. Of course, I bet the time it will happen I'll be sent on a forced vacation from Gaf.

I have serious issues keeping myself to my word apparantly. From two summer shows to four and now five thanks to this probably.
Watch me finish like half of them.

It never really bothered me, but Ive been to like 40 forums of various types and developed an immunity to peoples comments. Not to mention I like a lot of things that popularGaf frowns upon generally speaking.

So I've been told, but I don't see how he manages to have no mental trauma from SAO when it was so recent a thing.

Its because SAO is garbage.

Wait, Accel 2 has been announced!?

Yessss it has :D

So who hates SAO more? Firehawk or Corvo?

Well at least they finished the show. I didnt even do that. I cant stand it.

DokiDoki NTRCure 21:

And that day, Regina's heart grew the size of ten Grinches Selfish, plus two.

This has a good shot of being the most unearned midseason confrontation in the entire franchise, but I've still found my strength to continue watching.

Regina pretty much saved this show it looks like. She must be amazing.

Just a few responses this time, I'll try to keep this relatively short =p I won't respond to the comments about Kayaba's motivations or your heartfelt loathing for Sugu and incest in general, since I think we've already covered that pretty thoroughly >.>

Just for the sake of proving that it is possible for us to agree on things(!) I'll say that I have no arguments against the fact that Kirito is a boring protagonist. He's an audience substitute, pure and simple. I don't find that a huge problem - "audience substitute" is a trope that exists for a reason, and it's easy to just ignore the lack of characterisation and enjoy the power fantasy for what it is - but the series would definitely have been better if he had more in the way of actual character.

My suspicion is that those guys' avatars were twisted slug creatures because that's what Sugou decided they should look like. As a narcissistic and megalomaniacal asshole of a villain, of course he would make himself the Fairy King, pinnacle of beauty, while reducing his subordinates to subhuman monsters to emphasise their inferiority to him.

Of course, his subordinates were depraved enough that the choice of avatar was actually entirely justified. If only Sugou had given himself an avatar along the same lines, I'd actually praise him for his appropriate judgement.

Eh, Sugou totally deserved what he got there. Let's not go into the Heathcliff thing.

Wasn't the entire point that the "heavily advertised dungeon" never actually existed? There was never anything beyond that gate, and the supposed city at the top of the World Tree where players could get their hands on eternal flight was a complete fabrication. Sugou set up the Grand Quest with an enemy spawn rate so high that he didn't expect anyone to ever make it past them all, and then even if anyone did make it past, there was no way to actually unlock the gate. It took an admin command to open it, and even then it turned out to just be a teleport to Sugou's twisted facility. Basically, Sugou is an ass.

I don't think an allied army of the most elite warriors of multiple races really counts as a "very small group of players", though, and I definitely don't think that scene was intended to come across as involving "relative ease" in any shape or form.

Anyway, I really hope you don't let this put you off Accel World, which is a much better show and doesn't really suffer from any of the problems you had with this one. Its protagonist has actual character (whether you actually like that character is YMMV), it doesn't have any incest as far as I recall, I don't believe there's any tentacle molestation (or any sexual fanservice inside the game at all, really, since everyone has robotic-looking bodies), and it certainly doesn't have any praising of mass murderers.

What it does have is a much more unique and interesting premise than SAO (and one which is explored and utilised in interesting ways), really good action, and a great cast of characters.

I really think it is the complete stupidity of the story coupled with my absolute apathy of MMORPGS. It just wasnt much fun to watch. But funnily enough I enjoyed Accel World a lot. Who knows.

K-ON! - 2

Mugi, why didn't you just ask for a discount in the first place if you're the president's daughter? But then again, if you didn't do that we wouldn't have the epic car watching scene!

So Yui gets her guitar and spends the rest of the episode creating adorable gif material.

Is it wrong to assume that every episode has at least one gif material moment? I don't think so.

Homura Mio continues to be the best character so far.
They both have the same English VA and they both look alike. Nice VA choice dub team!

EVERY episode is giffable. go into the K-on thread you will find this out. I think just about every significant moment has been giffed already.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - 10&11

Oooooooh shit. So
Fate is just a clone of the crazy sorceress' daughter who's been dead/in a stasis chamber for god knows how long.
Poor
Fate, putting herself in harms way and busting her ass off for a person who considers her existence to be an annoyance.

You are ending on a high note and takeoff into the stratosphere is about to begin! It wont let up until A's is finished.

Will do later today.

Then he wins, cuz my hate was not pure enough.

This reminds me. Kirito's design got worse as the show went. Fake Kirito , Kirito, Fairyto

People add meeeee! Cajunat0r

I'm surprised no one else is disturbed by the level of abuse her poor brother endures from nearly everyone on the show. Who asks their brother to run out and get hit by a dump truck?

Hes a total doormat and that makes him a completely terrible character (and a lot like I used to be)

You know... I'm actually not stupid. I just don't know various things about life in general. It's more naivety and ignorance rather than the capacity to understand.

EDIT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601491

hahahahaha. Is this real life? That's awesome. Even though I fucking hate Shit A Live

Date a live is still way better than Sword shit online little mascot kun.

Oreimo S2 - 12

Kyousuke you shit. You fucked up.

(&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;)

This season has made me rage so much.

*hugs AWESOMEBEAR :(

Madoka Magica 02

Story was mostly standard setup again and was overall pretty boring, but I think there's some interesting and really sinister stuff going on under the surface. Madoka and friend really don't seem to be taking the danger of being Magical Girls serious enough, even after seeing a witch fight in person. Also, they really can't think of a wish? Really. How about a wish to get rid of all witches? or, you know, a good old standby of world peace? Love the fight and psychedelic imagery in the witches world, too. Real highlight of the episode

Ok, a few story observations/predictions (the fun part where the audience gets to laugh about how wrong I am)

I don't trust catbbit at all. That thing seems really really sinister. As a rule, I say don't trust anything that offers wishes. Offering wishes and massive magical power? Somethings way, way off here. I also think the explanation why the transfer girl wanted him dead is total BS. Makes no sense at all.

Blonde mentor girl's going to die, isn't she? Seems like they're really setting her up for that.

This episode begins with more Madoka waking up from a dream. More dream imagery? Betting that's going to be important somehow.

Madoka's mother is really not a great role model, is she? Seems like she's real absentee as well. Could explain why Madoka is so strange and naive.

Something's really strange about the grief seed shown at the end of the episode. It's being said it adds magical power, but it seems to suck away some darkness. I'm betting Magical Girls somehow get corrupted by witches over time and the grief seed counteracts that somehow.

If Magical Girls compete for witches, and witches are at tragedies, how long until a magical girl lets someone in a tragic situation just die so they can get an early fight in with the witch?

So far, I'm pretty interested in the show. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Please do continue! It keeps getting better. It also really doesnt follow the formula much past the initial episodes.

Next week can't come soon enough.

man...

cajunator

Banned
continuation since it passed the 24000 word rule heehee

Hi there. I'm posting here to directly respond to posts and because I received a PM from someone in this thread who I respect very fully and whose counsel I value. I'm not here to make you guys feel uncomfortable or like you're being punished. If you feel like you want to reply to this in here, feel free to do so--normally we ask that replies on mod stuff go in PM to avoid derailing but I'm saying this just so it's really clear I don't have anything to hide here. If you feel like replies in here will derail the thread, reply to me in PM if you have any input. If you think I'm an idiot, go ahead and tell me--I'm not here to punish anyone.

RE: Tamerlane; it wasn't my ban, but it's in keeping with how we moderate. He was rude, hostile, and openly insulting to other users. That's grounds for a ban. That's something we ban for. Sometimes it sucks when someone is a bright and positive contributor (someone here linked a post that seemed to me to be pretty thoughtful) who also comes with some baggage; the hardest bans to do are bans against users that you like, if only they'd avoid doing that thing that gets them banned. I'm sure Hito can vouch that there have been a lot of users over the years that carry with them positive contributions, but also rule-breaking baggage.

If other users were also insulting to him on the same level, we would go through the thread and deal with that. The "you have an anime avatar, your opinions are invalid" poster was banned, so I'm not sure where the double standard is at this point. Sometimes one user gets picked up before another. Sometimes when we moderate a thread we take action on a few users individually and then wait until a moderate has time to sweep the whole thread. Not asking you to give us the benefit of the doubt, just to say that sometimes it's worth waiting a little while before forming a conclusion about the conversation going on behind the scenes.

I am sorry that you feel you don't have a safe space there. Some of what you're assessing is correct and a function of the way the site has grown. We've talked a lot about it in private, about trying to make people feel more welcome. We have a pretty good handle on open insults, but maybe not casual disrespect. We have more work to do. I do think that you are right to note that, to some extent, the culture of the forum has shifted in a way that the majority opinion is sort of socially outgoing, "well-adjusted", and behaviours associated with "nerdiness" can get frowned upon or get a bad reaction. I don't know that it's easy to police for that or easy to solve beyond encouraging people to be nicer to each other as a matter of basic decency.

Personal advice threads are particularly bad for it, because the formula is generally: Someone who is lacking a basic life skill makes a thread asking for help, they get mocked for lacking a basic life skill making it harder for them to learn it. I think a long time ago on GAF someone would be more likely to get a little bit of good natured ribbing, but now it's probably at the point where the tone of the thread is mostly negative. Sometimes the person making the thread contributes to it by being pre-emptively cocky or defensive (or really not even making a minimum amount of effort to think through the situation themselves) but that's not an excuse.

I do not agree that it's constructed among explicitly heteronormative lines because I think both in terms of our rules and in terms of our forum culture, we have a generally safe and welcome space for users regardless of sexual orientation. It's not perfect, of course, and I think everyone on staff takes improving it seriously. We're not paid for this, we do this because we want to make a positive difference on the forum and help out.

If you ever see an indication that you're not welcome anywhere on GAF, please tell me and I'll step in to make sure you are.

I know Kabouter very well. He is not a party bro. He is not an alpha male. He is not an aggressive guy. I have never seen him get angry, I have never seen him be rude to someone. He is an extremely tolerant guy and I have never seen him hold it against someone that they are weird or different. And he'll be the first to admit that he's a weird guy too. He's Dutch, he likes bad european electronic music, he's quiet, he likes history and tax law, he likes bad made-for-TV movies like Mega Crocosaurus vs Mecha Sharktopus, and he's really hard on himself. I don't say this to set you up on a date, but to make it clear that whatever he said, I hope you know that he's a good guy and I think he'd be a good friend to anyone in this community if they needed help, including in dealing with the poster who was rude to Tamerlane.

I'll take your word that he said what you said, but just to provide some context I will expect that he meant it in an extremely light-hearted and joking manner. I can personally tell you that I've never seen him moderate against people on any kind of basis like that. He is one of the most progressive people on the team, and he is one of the most active in moderating against hostile, racist, or hateful viewpoints. And yeah, he makes fun of me for my weird eccentricities too, and my weird tastes. And I make fun of duckroll. And duckroll makes fun of EatChildren. And EatChildren makes fun of Kabouter. We have a very jovial atmosphere. Maybe sometimes when we post stuff that we think comes off as light-hearted or joking, other people read it as insulting or personal. I understand if you don't take my word for it.

When we make suggestions to EviLore for new moderation candidates, we look at all communities. I know Dresden posts here. Other people whose names we kicked around on a sort of long-list and then short-list were involved here too. As a staff, I promise, we're not hostile to the contributors here.

Sorry for taking up space in here. Have a nice day.

Stump I think you do a great job and so does the rest of moderation/admin. Its a thankless job for the most part rife with complaints but it has to be done. I think you judge fairly and Tamerlane did do osmething that deserved a ban. I had a couple back to back before learning how this place really works. If Tamerlane ocmes back hopefully he learns from this. If he doesnt, well he had osme nice contributions.
Gaf is like any place. you gotta get acclimated in order to fit in. Its an adaptive process. thats why I would recommend lurking to really get a feel for how this place rolls. Its really not THAT intimidating. Anonymous people will say all kinds of sit and 90% of it is in one ear and out the other.

Don't get me wrong ..i'm conflicted ... i like the turn of events aka blue eyed regina BUt it's not the same without a big mid season finale ..something when the stakes are higher , even for a moment.

oh here you go :

So , dokidoki precure - 21 AKA Precure who do you think i am edition

i liked this episode but i didn't like the fact that the show focus so much on mana-regina even in the moments like this.. that mana & regina are the stars aren't a problem. the fact that even when it comes to help , we get a few second of screen time for the others is regrettable at best because ... well because.!!
USE your money toei , give me some animation ! you can do it !!

So deus-ex machina, aka the "plot" arrive and open or portail in the house that lead to the place they need to go just when they needed to go there.

Fresh made me dislike magical babies in precure, and i not enjoyed this time either.

Anyway after that part it's "row row fight da power !" Heck regina fought the impossible and won ..

I still think that cure Ace will be
regina + airi , they better not make her sacrifice herself like michiru & kaoru did
If that happen , i'll lead the charge on 2ch !

OMG, an evolution zettai bouei leviathan style ? They need to present me with enough things and i might accept it , but i think i won't.
Cure Cure ace might also be
a Gattai of all 4 girls !

Regina is adorable. God I want to watch this >_

Its no problem dude. you are welcome to participate if it interests you. The red name doesnt scare people if they are doing nothing wrong.

I think things like that can be misunderstood, I mean they are definitely some alpha-male types in GAF. But I feel one of the best parts about the community is it generally does look out for those less socially-adjusted by giving them life-long advice and stuff.;p

Those are EVERYWHERE. you just learn to ignore/laugh at them.
Nerds gona NERD. Thats life. Well actually Cute is life. Hnnng proudly.

Jex

Ultimately the reason why I don't watch more anime is because there are a lot of themes that don't really resonate with me. When I do occasionally ask for recommendations from people I generally stress that I don't want: a warrior on a quest to power himself up and fight bigger bad guys; I have less than zero interest in badass military or mecha gear; I don't like nonsense pseudo-philosophical stuff; the supernatural; no big hair or ridiculous, campy character designs; no teen-oriented relationship stuff; no shrill or high pitched noises, a few other things.
[...]

Ah, a challenge. Your tastes certainly rule out whole swathes of anime, which actually makes things a little bit easier. If you discount male power fantasies and teenage romance you've discounted 80% of anime. Believable adults in realistic situations isn't something which comes up very often.
I wish you would watch something like Wings of Honneamise, Memories, or Jin-Roh, and drop by with nice impressions some day. They're movies, so you don't even have to commit to a full series! :(
Or Mushishi.
These are all good choices. You've mentioned Paprika, so have you checked out the directors other works e.g. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent? They're all excellent works, although I imagine you have checked them out already.

Other titles worth considering (going from a position of ignorance about what you may or may not have seen) -

Akira - Extremely influential and intriguing title movie which you've probably seen.
Master Keaton - TV series about a lecturer/archaeologist/former special forces charter named Taichi Keaton (Probably the work you mentioned earlier)
Patlabor 2 (Features mecha but only very lightly) - One of the very few political thrillers in anime.
Ghost in the Shell Movie - Landmark science fiction movie about cyborgs, technology and other matters.
Wolf Children - Excellent story about the trials of a single parent (from the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
Ojisan No no Lamp - A story about the inevitable progress of technology and those whose lives this upsets

Which is a very short short list of titles which may appeal to you. Huh, I've had to edit that twice which probably means I should go to bed.

Metrotab

Banned
Lurking is the way of life. I learned a lot by simply reading and following threads. Although it was still kinda scary to actually start posting though.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 94: Rebellion is a Hero's Privilege

~ But still, such disloyalty, such blasphemy to His Majesty! ~

That conversation between Reinhard and Mittermeyer was incredibly tense. You could cut it in the air! And the way he motioned the other Admirals out of the room reminded me of that famous scene from Der Untergang.
I like how von Oberstein simply interrupted Lang's studied tirade, merely by shouting his name. The way he did it was quite funny.
And I really hope Mittermeyer doesn't die. I'm not gonna be able to deal with Eva becoming a widow. Fuck no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom