• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ah, a challenge. Your tastes certainly rule out whole swathes of anime, which actually makes things a little bit easier. If you discount male power fantasies and teenage romance you've discounted 80% of anime. Believable adults in realistic situations isn't something which comes up very often.

These are all good choices. You've mentioned Paprika, so have you checked out the directors other works e.g. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent? They're all excellent works, although I imagine you have checked them out already.

Other titles worth considering (going from a position of ignorance about what you may or may not have seen) -

Akira - Extremely influential and intriguing title movie which you've probably seen.
Master Keaton - TV series about a lecturer/archaeologist/former special forces charter named Taichi Keaton (Probably the work you mentioned earlier)
Patlabor 2 (Features mecha but only very lightly) - One of the very few political thrillers in anime.
Ghost in the Shell Movie - Landmark science fiction movie about cyborgs, technology and other matters.
Wolf Children - Excellent story about the trials of a single parent (from the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
Ojisan No no Lamp - A story about the inevitable progress of technology and those whose lives this upsets

Which is a very short short list of titles which may appeal to you. Huh, I've had to edit that twice which probably means I should go to bed.

Trying to think if he would actually enjoy Fate/Zero or not. =/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Dokidoki! Precure] 21
tJyDCVTl.jpg

DokiDoki! Precure - 21

Only good part in the episode, everything else was 'meh' for the most part. That scene though... beautiful.

Pretty much.

And I'm not sure if Regina actually saved the show, cajun, she's just making sure it isn't complete garbage, just ughstounding.

yami4ct

Trying to think if he would actually enjoy Fate/Zero or not. =/
Saber is in Fate/Zero. He would not enjoy Fate/Zero.

I'm trying to decide if Hunter x Hunter counts as power fantasy. Overall, I'd say no as it's not about the quest for powerups. They just come along the way.

CorvoSol

Just for the sake of proving that it is possible for us to agree on things(!) I'll say that I have no arguments against the fact that Kirito is a boring protagonist. He's an audience substitute, pure and simple. I don't find that a huge problem - "audience substitute" is a trope that exists for a reason, and it's easy to just ignore the lack of characterisation and enjoy the power fantasy for what it is - but the series would definitely have been better if he had more in the way of actual character.

Bland as Kirito is, and much as the series suffers from his blandness, I don't think he is the prime example of why I did not enjoy SAO. He doesn't bring anything to the romance though, and so while I found Asuna largely appealing, Kirito weighs it down.

My suspicion is that those guys' avatars were twisted slug creatures because that's what Sugou decided they should look like. As a narcissistic and megalomaniacal asshole of a villain, of course he would make himself the Fairy King, pinnacle of beauty, while reducing his subordinates to subhuman monsters to emphasise their inferiority to him.

Of course, his subordinates were depraved enough that the choice of avatar was actually entirely justified. If only Sugou had given himself an avatar along the same lines, I'd actually praise him for his appropriate judgement.

I guess, but its still an unnecessary tentacle rape scene when we already have a perfectly menacing human trying to do that. The whole scene just didn't feel needed.

Eh, Sugou totally deserved what he got there. Let's not go into the Heathcliff thing.

It isn't that I disagree that Sugou had it coming, its that it was surprisingly brutal coming from someone like Kirito. By contrast, Kirito's encounter with Sugou in the parking lot was better handled. His emotions took control of him in an actual, physical struggle with a man who had done a lot wrong to him, but in the end, Kirito couldn't handle killing the guy. Knowing that the guy was in physical agony if not mortal inside the game and then doing that to him anyway was shockingly vicious coming from Kirito, especially since Sugou had no fair chance of fighting back.

Wasn't the entire point that the "heavily advertised dungeon" never actually existed?

I get that, but it just added to the feeling that the whole thing was, I dunno, rushed.

Anyway, I really hope you don't let this put you off Accel World, which is a much better show

I dunno, it didn't sound particularly my style but maybe some day I'll check it out.

JedVwNB.png

This gave me a chuckle.

Haha, I love Chamber.

CorvoSol
A shameless SAO fanboy
(Yesterday, 11:53 PM)

Of all the bad tags I could get.

Well, for what it's worth, I do see the whole "anime avatar" thing quite often in gaming side... but it's almost deserved, because it's usually in one of the "icecream"-like threads that get started once in a while. lol

Gaming side does that with other things, too. People will call out people with Lightning avatars or Versus avatars or Nintendo avatars all the time. It's not even as clever as avatar quoting.

You're good people, Stump.

I'm legitimately happy that someone came and addressed this concern. Not because it was a particularly large concern of mine, but because knowing that the moderation staff cares enough to discuss it in some degree really sets GAF apart from other places I've been on the net.

Dude, don't worry about it. All kinds of people and anime talk are welcome. Heck, most of what I'm posting about and have been since I've got here is older shows. You're welcome here any time. We can always use different tastes and perspectives. It keeps the conversation lively.

I can attest to also watching older shows. I've just recently made my way through like, all of UC Gundam which is like, triple my own age.

cj_iwakura

SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love?

icsbI2Dcs4Jj2.gif

I can't stress enough how mind-blowingly gorgeous this film is.

That said, the plot is a mess, and the series handled it infinitely better. It was still a visual feast, for sure, and Minmay was handled a lot better in the film(in that she's not a cold-hearted ignorant fool).

I think Fate/Zero would fall under "a warrior on a quest to power himself up and fight bigger bad guys" (roughly) and especially "nonsense pseudo-philosophical stuff; the supernatural".

I tried to show it to a friend who loves older anime and he really didn't like it much. Mostly all the dialogue.

I dig that stuff, but that's just me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ah, a challenge. Your tastes certainly rule out whole swathes of anime, which actually makes things a little bit easier. If you discount male power fantasies and teenage romance you've discounted 80% of anime. Believable adults in realistic situations isn't something which comes up very often.

Just wanted to say thanks and that I'm reading your post and others offering recommendations, even if I'm not responding. And I appreciate that my thematic hangups are being respected. Thanks again.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 23

T________________________T

Fuck heroic sacrifices. Michiru and Kaoru were way too awesome at the end there to die. They fucking stood up to Akudaikaan himself and ASKED HIM NOT TO DESTROY THE WORLD. That's more awesome even than anything Kiriya ever managed in the original series. If those two are actually dead, I will hate that great big shadowy idiot for all time. FOR ALL TIME. That includes after he's been blasted into a million pieces or whatever at the end of the series.

Kaoru promised Minori they would play catch together. She better get to keep that promise. ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE MINORI SAD, AKUDAIKAAN? I WILL HURT YOU.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
OreImo S2 12:

OreImo12_zps93c4779e.jpg

I'd love to direct this to the writer of this series.

I forget who said it earlier, but yeah this season's whole pace has been completely broken. Should have been two cour.

Kyousuke's ruining his life, and at this point he's bringing it on himself. No more sympathy from me, ever.

cj_iwakura

Just wanted to say thanks and that I'm reading your post and others offering recommendations, even if I'm not responding. And I appreciate that my thematic hangups are being respected. Thanks again.

Not sure if it falls under psuedo-philosophical or not, but Serial Experiments Lain is a very realistic show for the most part. (Aside from the whole dead people communicating via the internet thing.) It's grounded in reality, at least.

Ultimadrago

I did catch some of the recommendations (thanks to everyone, especially Mandoric whose insight was very interesting to me) but I didn't want to make the thread about me rather than all the Spring 2013 stuff you guys are watching and I knew that red name presence from a rube who had no real business or interest in here was making people nervous ;)

Any anime is game here and valuable, fresh input is always welcome!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not sure if it falls under psuedo-philosophical or not, but Serial Experiments Lain is a very realistic show for the most part. (Aside from the whole dead people communicating via the internet thing.) It's grounded in reality, at least.
Hey, don't mislead stump like that. Half the show is Coast to Coast AM, which hardly fits any definition of "realistic".

Fuck heroic sacrifices. Michiru and Kaoru were way too awesome at the end there to die. They fucking stood up to Akudaikaan himself and ASKED HIM NOT TO DESTROY THE WORLD. That's more awesome even than anything Kiriya ever managed in the original series. If those two are actually dead, I will hate that great big shadowy idiot for all time. FOR ALL TIME. That includes after he's been blasted into a million pieces or whatever at the end of the series.

Kaoru promised Minori they would play catch together. She better get to keep that promise. ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE MINORI SAD, AKUDAIKAAN? I WILL HURT YOU.

Next episode is going to hurt.

yami4ct

While the show I'm recommending might not fit into your thematic hangups perfectly, it's so damn good it's worth a shot anyway.

Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite shows of all time. One of the things it does that I think you might like is that it takes all the tropes that you specifically don't like, and deliberately turns them on their head. It takes your expectations of a typical shonen series and smashes them to pieces. Once it hits the Yorkshin arc especially, it becomes one of the most well written, clever action shows around. It's incredibly subversive in a way you don't see often.

CorvoSol

You sure write an awful lot about a show that doesnt deserve it.
But I agree generally. 1-14 was passable except for lack of best characters. 15+ is insipid garbage that I didnt even bother to watch. And I watch some really insipid garbage.

I find that in the future, when I say a show is the most vile filth I've ever seen, it helps to have a level-headed post in my history to back up my claims without vitriol. I did a very simplified one for Gundam 00, and now I've got one for SAO, too. If I had to do one for Code Geass R2 (which is so bad its good), I'd just say "This show is batshit insane" and leave it at that.

I can never truly hate R2, though, because it taught me to love Valvrave.

Lol that shipping post was masterful. Zel-chan is my uke forever <3

I was really hoping to get more reactions from dragging that memory up. DTL and SDBurton are the perfect couple, though. If they ever truly align, AnimeGAF's destiny will be fulfilled.

Well at least they finished the show. I didnt even do that. I cant stand it.

The downside to finishing SAO is that I now have to go back and finish Rah Xephon, because the excuse I used to drop that show "goddamn suggested incest after all this Evangelion ripping off and terrible anime cliches and boooooring" no longer holds weight since I sat around for Kirito x Suguha, which was just bad.

Suguha would be a bad character without her attraction to Kirito, but that it makes up so much of her character just accentuates how bad she is. Fertygo commented to me last night that it was funny that every woman who meets Kirito wants his dick, his sister included. Thank goodness Judau was the one with imoutos and not Kamille Bidan, then.

Keep those feeligns close to your heart.
NEVER FORGET

Saber is in Fate/Zero. He would not enjoy Fate/Zero.
No. No no no no no. I'm seething. I'm hurting. Why would you say those things? Why are you doing this to me? You are forever my mortal enemy. Watch yourself. I'm everywhere and nowhere. I'm in your sock. I'm going to ruin you. Never forget.

jgminto

Gargantia 12

ib0T3Mj2wOlwtY.png

Damn Pinion, you're pretty sexy with your hair down.

Yeah pretty predictable once again,
Kugel being dead already was brought up here last week,
but it's still a great ride. I wonder what
the key is? Their own high tech weapon?
The action was a mixed bag this ep. The
Chamber on Striker fight
looked fantastic and
Pinion providing supporting fire was cool to see.
But the
Yumboro fighting
looked like total crap.

Yeah this has been a good show. I don't think it has lived up to its full potential but I've definitely enjoyed the world and characters they've created. Bring on the finale.

I have not heard of this. Tell me more...

Don't question it. Just watch Valvrave.

I really want to know which LN-to-anime adaptations in the last few years haven't had their pacing shot to hell.
High school dxd ?
Oda nobuna ?
Mondaiji tachi ga?

Just on the top of my head.
But you're right those are the exception ,not the rule

Edit: Accel world also did pretty well

While the show I'm recommending might not fit into your thematic hangups perfectly, it's so damn good it's worth a shot anyway.

Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite shows of all time. One of the things it does that I think you might like is that it takes all the tropes that you specifically don't like, and deliberately turns them on their head. It takes your expectations of a typical shonen series and smashes them to pieces. Once it hits the Yorkshin arc especially, it becomes one of the most well written, clever action shows around. It's incredibly subversive in a way you don't see often.

As awesome as HxH is, it's not really a Stump show based on what he's said.

Quasar

Koi Kaze - Damn. The themes certainly are treated in a way I've not seen before in anime, and I'm glad for that. All the negative aspects of this kind of thing is normally completely ignored, though admittedly I mostly only see this in romcoms/harem comedies so i guess thats not a surprise.

But still I'm really weirded out that I walked away from it thinking that was something of a happy/hopeful ending.

I'm also left wondering if the manga had a third act where we see the whole thing end in a metaphorical car crash.

CorvoSol

Just another shout out that Theonik's efforts to remember to make constant butt puns are neither forgotten nor pass unappreciated. This right here is some dedication to a running gag, people.

yami4ct

As awesome as HxH is, it's not really a Stump show based on what he's said.
Probably. I think you'd need at least a basic appreciation of typical battle shonen for the series' subversive magic to work. I just feel the need to throw it in every recommendation thread, because, you know, just in case.

So, it seems like Attack on Titan's pacing has been completely destroyed, huh. Glad I dropped the anime version. How likely is it that the pacing issues are due to the sudden popularity? They probably desperately want to keep it going and not catch up to the manga. Would make the delay tactics it seems to be pulling make way more sense.

CorvoSol

Probably. I think you'd need at least a basic appreciation of typical battle shonen for the series' subversive magic to work. I just feel the need to throw it in every recommendation thread, because, you know, just in case.

So, it seems like Attack on Titan's pacing has been completely destroyed, huh. Glad I dropped the anime version. How likely is it that the pacing issues are due to the sudden popularity? They probably desperately want to keep it going and not catch up to the manga. Would make the delay tactics it seems to be pulling make way more sense.

Eren Jaegar has quite literally remained stationary for three episodes. If it wasn't for Mikasa, no one would have done anything lately, and Pixis' mustache can only get you so far.

Theonik

Gargantia 12
i0vAwVnIz9mkU.png

New Best background girl spotted
Melty proving why she's best girl.
LMAO at Kugel being already dead for what seems like decades. Aren't the mech AI systems not forbidden from taking decisions without their pilots though?

yami4ct

Eren Jaegar has quite literally remained stationary for three episodes. If it wasn't for Mikasa, no one would have done anything lately, and Pixis' mustache can only get you so far.

To be fair, that moment in the manga is brutally slow as well. It's probably even slower the way their chopping it up, but it isn't all the adaptation's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom