• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

gargantia 12

Show is going pretty downhill atm.... We definitely need more amy.

Amy is probably the whole reason I dropped the show. Found her super annoying.

All these Gargantia reactions definitely make it seems like the show is going where I thought/feared it would. Too bad for those that liked it.

CorvoSol

To be fair, that moment in the manga is brutally slow as well. It's probably even slower the way their chopping it up, but it isn't all the adaptation's fault.

All I know is deciding to throw in a clip show in the next few weeks is the worst decision this show could ever make.

Metrotab

Banned
The Devil Works at McDonald's - 12

I love how this series remains its good comedic timing during the action scenes. Most comedy/action series fall flat in that area.

Theonik

Incapable of reading post title and not associating it with your current avatar.
I have no idea what you're talking about!

Would't you do that if someone saved you from that pit of hell? Granted, right now, it seems to be a character drain to me.
I suppose
her obsession fits her background, but at the same time it basically stips her of protagonist status and drags he down quite far with Eren McBland.

CorvoSol

Hey Ryouga, did you ever finish the FMP LNs? Do I need to read them all to be able to make sense of the end, or can I just pick up like the last two to get the story?

yami4ct

All I know is deciding to throw in a clip show in the next few weeks is the worst decision this show could ever make.

Really? God dang, why would they do that? Mishandling an already tedious moment is bad enough, but making the pacing worse with a clip show is really shortsighted and boneheaded.

NeHQ1ZZ.jpg

Mushibugyo 11

What.

What the hell happened to Jinbei?

His super powerful, evil form (w/ Cat Ears!) appeared just like that and started a beatdown on everyone he came across
. And the reason why?
He had a piece of hair from Kuro in his mouth that made him go berserk

I know there's a hint that's not the only reason but I really hope they give out a proper explanation. Hopefully, its not something predictable like involving his dead mother. Also, that CGI use during the battle was hilariously bad. Probably the only thing that really brought down the Ep from the previous one.

And I thought this anime was only 12 episodes? But after seeing the preview and looking around other places, it actually could be more?

Would be good news if true.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! OVA - 01

Took me a half hour browsing through old threads to find this. Worth it and called it.

Wonderful OVA that gave plenty of screen time to the characters worth a damn. My heart went a flutter when Deko was yelling at Mori in tears, stating how she doesn't pay attention to her anymore. You could see the pain in Mori's heart realizing the suffering she caused to her cherished one. ;_; The kiss was fantastic, I just wished one of them moved their lower lip a little to add a bit more power into it, That sideway glance was the obvious 'Flag' that hints that they honestly didn't mind it at all. Here's hoping they push this further into the next season!

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of 5

I have no idea what you're talking about!

I suppose
her obsession fits her background, but at the same time it basically stips her of protagonist status and drags he down quite far with Eren McBland.

That sounds about right. She kinda sounds like a Pokemon at this point.

Ridli

I don't know how you do it Anime-gaf. This thread is a beast. I have modest curiosity on how folks are reacting to certain eps but everyone has a different viewing schedule, and I step away for like a day and come back to 700+ posts over a dozen different shows. And some folks dont miss a single beat. It's like peeping in on the trading pits at the stock market, but with significantly more siscon.

K-ON! - 2

Mugi, why didn't you just ask for a discount in the first place if you're the president's daughter? But then again, if you didn't do that we wouldn't have the epic car watching scene!

So Yui gets her guitar and spends the rest of the episode creating adorable gif material.

Is it wrong to assume that every episode has at least one gif material moment? I don't think so.

Homura Mio continues to be the best character so far.
They both have the same English VA and they both look alike. Nice VA choice dub team!

You're watching the dub too? :| Though I will say they chose a good voice for Mio.

Considering I have over one thousand K-ON! gifs, it's safe to assume there's a lot of material for them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know how you do it Anime-gaf. This thread is a beast. I have modest curiosity on how folks are reacting to certain eps but everyone has a different viewing schedule, and I step away for like a day and come back to 700+ posts over a dozen different shows. And some folks dont miss a single beat. It's like peeping in on the trading pits at the stock market, but with significantly more siscon.
It's ok to skim through posts that don't touch on your own interests.

Hey Ryouga, did you ever finish the FMP LNs? Do I need to read them all to be able to make sense of the end, or can I just pick up like the last two to get the story?

Actuuaaaaallllllyyy.

Full Metal Panic: Approaching Nick of Time

I actually just finished volume 10 of the novel series last night. Well that was a huge explosion of information.

I had been wondering about the whole black technology thing and why the Whispered had all this wacky futuristic knowledge. Oh hey, it's because they got it from the future. More specifically, future Kaname sent the knowledge back in time, changing the way events were supposed to play out in the original timeline. Haaaaaaaaaah. The moment where Kaname 'awakens' and shoots Tessa in the head was a big HOLY SHIT moment for me, and considering the way they murdered the last Whispered back in Burning One Man Force, I wasn't expecting her to come back. Fortunately it was just a mind fuck caused by being too close to the Omni Sphere, but damn, my heart dropped for a moment there.

The big event in volume 10 though was probably
Kurz's last hurrah. His sniper shot moment was cool as fuck, and I couldn't picture a better way for him to go out (beyond not dying at all T_T). The final scene with Mao crying in Sosuke's arms while he stands speechless was a bit depressing. FMP has killed a lot of people in the last five novels, but this one probably hurt the most. FMP hasn't ended on a happy note in something like five volumes at this point. Gaaaaaaah.

Good stuff, but not exactly the kind of thing I want to read before going to bed.

As for your question, yes. You definitely have to read them in order to get what's going on.

Originally Posted by chickdigger802
[/i]

actually before any of that, do watch the movie version of season 1.
[/indent]Is it encouraged? Like will I be missing out on anything important if I decide to put it off for now?

hmmmm actually save the movies for later. watch A's first, than watch the 2 movies.

The visual fidelty of the movie might hurt your enjoyment of the show.

Took me a half hour browsing through old threads to find this. Worth it and called it.

Wonderful OVA that gave plenty of screen time to the characters worth a damn. My heart went a flutter when Deko was yelling at Mori in tears, stating how she doesn't pay attention to her anymore. You could see the pain in Mori's heart realizing the suffering she caused to her cherished one. ;_; The kiss was fantastic, I just wished one of them moved their lower lip a little to add a bit more power into it, That sideway glance was the obvious 'Flag' that hints that they honestly didn't mind it at all. Here's hoping they push this further into the next season!

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of 5

iO9DjFDjz6cVD.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I rarely check other threads so it makes it easy for me.

Hattori

Banned
Revolutionary Girl 1-3

First impression, the character models are very clamp-ish, which I'm not really a fan of. The duel theme is amazing and very catchy, I really like it.
Going back to the character designs, I especially hate the way student council guys are being depicted. I'm just not feeling the whole bishounen with extremely thin and long skeletor fingers.

Character designs aside, I'm really enjoying it especially the duels. I think I like Himemiya more than Utena, her mysterious background is very intriguing to me.
All in all, I think I'm going to keep going at it, something about the plot makes me want to see how it's going to be resolved.

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
out of 5

I haven't watched this yet but I feel like something big just got spoiled. ='(

Kingdom 2 Episode 3
BNe3J1SCQAMLGRA.jpg

Just a fun and such episode with the banquet. It was even hilarious there at the end of it. Really enjoyed the episode and being caught up on that which has transpired with different characters through the past year or so.

cnet128

Banned
I really want to know which LN-to-anime adaptations in the last few years haven't had their pacing shot to hell.

Well, the original series of OreImo wasn't that long ago, and it was executed really well.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 24

NO, AKUDAIKAAN, YOU DO NOT GET LET OFF THE HOOK IF EVERYBODY FORGETS ABOUT THEM. THAT JUST MAKES IT WORSE.
I was kind of expecting that to happen, but ugh. Do NOT want.

On the bright side, the Fountain of Sky is now back to it's original beautiful state. I'd celebrate this in the usual fashion, but...no. No, that's not happening. There is no cause for celebration here. There is only pain.

Well, okay, that may not be entirely true. There is one ray of hope in all this, namely Queen Filia's cryptic statement that if the Cures don't lose hope, their feelings will be able to reach Michiru and Kaoru and their wishes will be granted and stuff. This had better mean that Michiru and Kaoru can still be saved somehow. That certainly seems to be how the Cures take it, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

And then we have the second half of this episode, which introduces:

• a new villain (Mizu Shitatare, presumably keeper of the Fountain of Water, who is a bit of a bitch. She's also extra powerful, because it's designated Cure Upgrade Time, so we need someone to demonstrate that their existing abilities aren't strong enough.)
  • two new mascots (Moop and Foop, the spirits of Moon and Wind respectively)
  • a new MAGICAL ITEM COMPUTER THING (buy our merchandise buy it all)
  • a new upgrade for the Cures (the Precure Spiral Rings, which totally aren't exactly the same as the upgrades from the original series and Max Heart because LOOK, ONE OF THEM IS A BELT INSTEAD OF A BRACELET)
  • a new finisher to go with the new upgrade (Precure Spiral Heart Splash) which is like the old finisher except with MORE POWER. This is the finisher that pierces the heavens.

It kind of feels like we're just going through the motions a bit here, though that could be down to the fact that the animation quality seemed a bit iffy for most of that battle. Not sure what to think of the two new mascots except "you're not as cute as Porun, can I have Porun instead?"

Well, the original series of OreImo wasn't that long ago, and it was executed really well.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 24

NO, AKUDAIKAAN, YOU DO NOT GET LET OFF THE HOOK IF EVERYBODY FORGETS ABOUT THEM. THAT JUST MAKES IT WORSE.
I was kind of expecting that to happen, but ugh. Do NOT want.

On the bright side, the Fountain of Sky is now back to it's original beautiful state. I'd celebrate this in the usual fashion, but...no. No, that's not happening. There is no cause for celebration here. There is only pain.

Well, okay, that may not be entirely true. There is one ray of hope in all this, namely Queen Filia's cryptic statement that if the Cures don't lose hope, their feelings will be able to reach Michiru and Kaoru and their wishes will be granted and stuff. This had better mean that Michiru and Kaoru can still be saved somehow. That certainly seems to be how the Cures take it, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

And then we have the second half of this episode, which introduces:

• a new villain (Mizu Shitatare, presumably keeper of the Fountain of Water, who is a bit of a bitch. She's also extra powerful, because it's designated Cure Upgrade Time, so we need someone to demonstrate that their existing abilities aren't strong enough.)
  • two new mascots (Moop and Foop, the spirits of Moon and Wind respectively)
  • a new MAGICAL ITEM COMPUTER THING (buy our merchandise buy it all)
  • a new upgrade for the Cures (the Precure Spiral Rings, which totally aren't exactly the same as the upgrades from the original series and Max Heart because LOOK, ONE OF THEM IS A BELT INSTEAD OF A BRACELET)
  • a new finisher to go with the new upgrade (Precure Spiral Heart Splash) which is like the old finisher except with MORE POWER. This is the finisher that pierces the heavens.

It kind of feels like we're just going through the motions a bit here, though that could be down to the fact that the animation quality seemed a bit iffy for most of that battle. Not sure what to think of the two new mascots except "you're not as cute as Porun, can I have Porun instead?"

Well you know what to do, buy merchandise (preferably the Miracle Lights) and hope! This is Toei's grand scheme before the miracle lights even existed.

CorvoSol

SDBurton's avatar loops perfectly.

Really? God dang, why would they do that? Mishandling an already tedious moment is bad enough, but making the pacing worse with a clip show is really shortsighted and boneheaded.

Sounds about par for the course for this show. Really disappointed because it had such a good start.

Actuuaaaaallllllyyy.

Full Metal Panic: Approaching Nick of Time

I actually just finished volume 10 of the novel series last night. Well that was a huge explosion of information.

I had been wondering about the whole black technology thing and why the Whispered had all this wacky futuristic knowledge. Oh hey, it's because they got it from the future. More specifically, future Kaname sent the knowledge back in time, changing the way events were supposed to play out in the original timeline. Haaaaaaaaaah. The moment where Kaname 'awakens' and shoots Tessa in the head was a big HOLY SHIT moment for me, and considering the way they murdered the last Whispered back in Burning One Man Force, I wasn't expecting her to come back. Fortunately it was just a mind fuck caused by being too close to the Omni Sphere, but damn, my heart dropped for a moment there.

The big event in volume 10 though was probably
Kurz's last hurrah. His sniper shot moment was cool as fuck, and I couldn't picture a better way for him to go out (beyond not dying at all T_T). The final scene with Mao crying in Sosuke's arms while he stands speechless was a bit depressing. FMP has killed a lot of people in the last five novels, but this one probably hurt the most. FMP hasn't ended on a happy note in something like five volumes at this point. Gaaaaaaah.

Good stuff, but not exactly the kind of thing I want to read before going to bed.

As for your question, yes. You definitely have to read them in order to get what's going on.

Sounds more or less exactly the way the manga handled that situation, actually. I definitely
freaked for a second when Kaname blew Tessa's brains out.
And any scene between Mao and Sagara is awesome. Tell me though, what were your thoughts toward Nami? Worse girl or Worst Girl?

Is it encouraged? Like will I be missing out on anything important if I decide to put it off for now?

Not at all, though the first movie does elaborate on a few things that the series didn't at the cost of Nanoha/Fate development. Otherwise both of them are completely awesome condensed versions of the first two seasons that should only be watched afterwards.

Sounds more or less exactly the way the manga handled that situation, actually. I definitely
freaked for a second when Kaname blew Tessa's brains out.
And any scene between Mao and Sagara is awesome. Tell me though, what were your thoughts toward Nami? Worse girl or Worst Girl?

Worst Girl. I didn't actually hate her (there wasn't enough there to go either way for me), but she was a missed opportunity. I don't think she needed to be another
quasi-love interest
. I think they should have just focused on making her a likable comrade and everything else would have flowed from there. Either way there wasn't enough time to build her up properly.

About Mao and Sagara.
The way she tries to play off Kurz's death like she didn't have feelings for him while Sagara just keeps apologizing. And then she finally lets it all out, telling Sagara that he can't die too. Man, that shit hurt. Especially because not once does she even think to point the finger at Sagara, which is what I was expecting her to do.

=((((

A masterfull plan that didnot work this time !

Which leads me to think, Miracle lights in the Doki Doki movie will utterly kill me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ending was more like GoGo and Fresh's movie.

Better yet, would they even NEED Miracle Lights since Mana is here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom