• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Even in his pre-Bee Train days, Koichi Mashimo displayed a fondness for crazy nonsensical tilted camera angles.

I haven't seen the Hyouge Mono episode in question, but I did see the first episode and there was a similar ridiculously tilted angle that stuck out to me in a negative way. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to them beyond "I think this looks cool."

It's totally time for another Tylor watch.

cajunator

Banned
You're missing the point here. That they're at the bottom of the barrel while also being as entertaining as they are is why they are noteworthy.

Pretty much. Shows on the list are memorable experiences regardless of quality.

God that image is adorable. So perfect.

bamco announces a shitty srw game staring shitty anime characters from shitty animes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570017

Now that is a great avatar!

Dresden

Here's a question I'd been mulling over for a while:

I'm sure more than a handful of us have watched Sengoku era stuff or stuff that draws inspiration from it but do you have any particular favorite representations of Sengoku era figures from different shows or is it like Sengoku Basara (Oda Nobuna in SDBrton's case) or bust.

I mean, like in my case, I'd definitely place Sengoku Basara's Nobunaga as my favorite but I'm also fond of Ranmaru from Yotoden and Yukimura Sanada in Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Relevant:

I'm pretty fond of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in s2 of senba.

He's not a . . . complex character (although he's deep by sengoku basara standards, I guess), and he doesn't have Nobumoto's #swag, but there's a certain episode in season two where he basically defines 'overwhelming power.' It was like, so COOOOOOOOOL.

It's not that good!

It's the closest thing I'll get to a Nobunyaga anime!

This discussion reminds me that my anime white whale is Examurai Sengoku/Exile Generation. I've always wanted to watch it because the premise seemed like a hilariously terrible ego trip, but not only is it not available in English, but I can't even find Japanese DVDs for it. It's like it never even existed.

Unless they start dancing and singing my interest is dropped.

The Exile members aren't even voiced by the actual members either! Maybe that's why Japan tries to forget its existence.

That Project Eden shot works because of the heels

Like I said in my impressions of the film:

The tilted camera angle is often used by mediocre storyboarders who want to give their work some visual variety but don't know how to use it in a way that makes sense. Here it completely works, partially due to the unabashedly near-sideways tilting, partially because of the way it highlights the reflection of the red heels - a Dirty Pair staple - and partially because it just looks so good.

So I actually like that shot. It works less well in Tylor, but it's just a quick shot in the middle of the OP, so it's not a big issue. In Hyouge Mono it works not very well at all. Of course, Mashimo has fallen off dramatically as a director since founding Bee Train.

All this Utena talk and I'm not watching it? Clearly I had to fix that.

Utena 14

ooooh, things are getting darker this time around. Also pink haired dude's outfit looks REALLY gundam to me. It would be fantastic if there was a Char look alike somewhere down the line to oppose him. A lot of elevators this episode, I'm especially liking the creepy interview one that pink haired cosplayer wants to "go deeper" with you in, man this show is kinky. Speaking of I'm not imagining this right? Himemiya is
totally nailing her bro on a weekly basis. I wonder who gets priority in commanding her, the winning duelist or her brother?

Also regarding music I'm disappointed that the sultry music didn't play when Utena was summoning Dios this time around but instead went straight to the dueling song. I wonder what the reasoning was behind that change was. Maybe it was to make the stock footage feel a little tighter? I did notice a shortening of bits and pieces when entering the arena.
Which now has desks and body outlines!
This show definitely knows how to keep things fresh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 14

Natto Gyouza Candy? Baaaaaaaarf.

These guys are really slow on the uptake. Weak and dumb. Alas. :(

Also, Candy is just channeling Porun's stock at this point. LAME.

CorvoSol

Code Geass R2 16

Episode literally begins with Lelouch jacking himself off.

So Zero invented the United States and now the UN?

Why even make this episode? Why not just give me 22 minutes of Lelouch jacking off to a picture of himself? It serves the same exact narrative purpose at this point.

Whatever else happens, if Nina doesn't die, then I'll hate this show forevs.

You know, it seems to me that every time Lelouch promises someone anything, he really means the exact opposite of that. Hence the reason he
strikes C2 no time at all after promising never to hurt her.
Rule #1: Lelouch lies?

Also, the King of Quaker Oats is great, but why not just expose Zero at this point?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Could've been 22 minutes of Lelouch jacking off to a picture of himself and I'd have gotten the same narrative point out of this.

Full Metal Panic! Sigma 13

Sousuke and Al manage to infiltrate and evacuate Jindai High with Hayashimizu's help, but there's still Kyoko to save. The best part of the section is Mr. Potassium's reaction to the speed with which the students respond to the fake chemical weapons threat. Meanwhile, Tessa begins to notice that
something's not right about Mr. Kalinin

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Utena 14

Also regarding music I'm disappointed that the sultry music didn't play when Utena was summoning Dios this time around but instead went straight to the dueling song. I wonder what the reasoning was behind that change was. Maybe it was to make the stock footage feel a little tighter? I did notice a shortening of bits and pieces when entering the arena.
I'd argue time constraints. They introduce a lot in this episode.
A bunch were. All I know is that ZUM wasn't originally written for Utena, though.

Also, although Julius Arnest Ceaser wrote all the duel related songs, Shinkichi Mitsumune arranged them for the show. OSTs 4 and 7 have J.A. Ceaser arrangements and sound rather different.
Mitsumune is a seriously underrated composer.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Code Geass R2 16

Episode literally begins with Lelouch jacking himself off.

So Zero invented the United States and now the UN?

Why even make this episode? Why not just give me 22 minutes of Lelouch jacking off to a picture of himself? It serves the same exact narrative purpose at this point.

Whatever else happens, if Nina doesn't die, then I'll hate this show forevs.

You know, it seems to me that every time Lelouch promises someone anything, he really means the exact opposite of that. Hence the reason he
strikes C2 no time at all after promising never to hurt her.
Rule #1: Lelouch lies?

Also, the King of Quaker Oats is great, but why not just expose Zero at this point?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Could've been 22 minutes of Lelouch jacking off to a picture of himself and I'd have gotten the same narrative point out of this.

I get giddier ever episode you get. You're gonna LOVE the couple of episodes :3

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Also. Here you guys go.

345b74400a67b8acde393948d4a52eb5.jpg

JCG

Code Geass is not the show I'd want to go back and watch for the first time again. Granted, this IS my first time, but still.

Well, you seemed to enjoy the first series. Even if it's almost a given you'll find no lack of reasons, whether they're good or not, to hate the second.

It's one of those shows that's only good if your watching it as a group. Gotta have those reactions man.

That helps, but I think the first season is still absolutely rewatchable without group viewing. I've already done it.

JCG

The second season is the best part! Why would you hate it?

Because it's disappointing, for one thing, but also because it'll specifically continue to tickle CorvoSol in the wrong places.

It's the "best" in terms of crazy entertainment but I don't get the feeling CorvoSol will be on board for that by the end.

fertygo

Big O S2 - 16

Big O punching asteroid and saving the town, dayum.
Another good episode although I can see bullshit starting to pile up, and the color design actually look decent in this episode.
It's one of those shows that's only good if your watching it as a group. Gotta have those reactions man.

Not really.

CorvoSol

Well, you seemed to enjoy the first series. Even if it's almost a given you'll find no lack of reasons, whether they're good or not, to hate the second.

First season was good, but I think its more that there are simply other shows I'd sooner watch for the first time again.

The second season is the best part! Why would you hate it?

This is what I say about The Big O.

The Count of Monte Cristo 9

Pretty sure Maximilien just implied that Franz and Albert are gay for each other. Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure that Franz just implied that he is indeed hopelessly in love with Albert.

All this talk about being in love with someone you can never marry is the greatest double entendre for Albert and Franz being gay ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom