• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
312128_459544384134160_1006943233_n.jpg

Wat.

This is next page material.

such a great game.
We need another game featuring this duo !

I laughed so hard when Eris called her classmates her "cute little kittens". Totally had a Yuru Yuri moment when Akari said that in the season 2 opener.

Narag

Here's a question I'd been mulling over for a while:

I'm sure more than a handful of us have watched Sengoku era stuff or stuff that draws inspiration from it but do you have any particular favorite representations of Sengoku era figures from different shows or is it like Sengoku Basara (Oda Nobuna in SDBrton's case) or bust.

I mean, like in my case, I'd definitely place Sengoku Basara's Nobunaga as my favorite but I'm also fond of Ranmaru from Yotoden and Yukimura Sanada in Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Relevant:

How far are you? Only the first couple songs are kinda similar, and by the second arc there's a clear shift in style.

13 episodes in. I did notice the changes but most good songs have some sort of change throughout. I thought of it like going through different movements in a grander song like in classical music and that if they were stitched together it would be a coherent whole like a symphony.

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 6

I liked the part where they showed the monkeys.

Damn, Hitagi is a rather jealous type, isn't she? Fucking hell, she was about to get violent there. Threatening to stab out Koyomi's eyeball just for asking about that girl that seems to be stalking him. All with that cold demeanor. Then she vows that he will be her first victim should she ever murder somebody. If that's not love, what is?

Then wtf at that ending. Apparition appears out of nowhere and bloodies the fuck out of Koyomi. Then Hitagi shows up and doesn't seem phased. Didn't seem to give a fuxk, though she probably did, she just doesn't emote like that. Or she may have beaten the shit out of him. I don't think so; those quick messages said it was an apparition. So I think it is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
13 episodes in. I did notice the changes but most good songs have some sort of change throughout. I thought of it like going through different movements in a grander song like in classical music and that if they were it were stitched together it would be a coherent whole of some sort.
Well, there is the rock opera element to the show, so it's not as much a single rhapsody but a flowing album.

Also, the songs themselves contribute to the overall symbolism employed in the show. Like the second duel song goes over all sorts of prehistoric aquatic life because
Saionji is old-fashioned

Jex

Speaking of "the list", I'm considering starting Glass Fleet, but I'm thinking that maybe I should watch Garzey's Wing first. What say ye, chums?

One's an OVA and the other is a series so it's really a question of time commitment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/312128_459544384134160_1006943233_n.jpg

Wat.

Not my thing, personally, but I'm all for non-traditionally-attractive female characters in anime so it's cool for that, at least.

I'm sure more than a handful of us have watched Sengoku era stuff or stuff that draws inspiration from it but do you have any particular favorite representations of Sengoku era figures from different shows or is it like Sengoku Basara (Oda Nobuna in SDBrton's case) or bust.

I mean, like in my case, I'd definitely place Sengoku Basara's Nobunaga as my favorite but I'm also fond of Ranmaru from Yotoden and Yukimura Sanada in Samurai Deeper Kyo.

This post just makes me realize that my sengoku power level is pretty weak outside of things that have aired in the past few years. The Basara versions of the characters are iconic to me, but that's probably only because I've never seen any quality alternate takes on the various historical figures (lol Brave10)

Relevant:

Sengoku Basara grown up Ieyasu is best Ieyasu.

In general, I'm definitely more biased towards Sengoku Basara and Sengoku Musou's versions of the character though there were some characters I liked from Sengoku Collection like Mitsuhide and Shingen.

I definitely need to see more Sengoku related shows as well.

Narag

This post just makes me realize that my sengoku power level is pretty weak outside of things that have aired in the past few years. The Basara versions of the characters are iconic to me, but that's probably only because I've never seen any quality alternate takes on the various historical figures (lol Brave10)

Just realized the Yukimura I mentioned was another Megumi Ogata role. No wonder I like it. :lol

Also let us not forget:

Jex

Hyouge Mono 6

No clue why they showed this upside down. It's in the middle of tense negotiations and I'm not familiar enough with the language of film and whatnot to see it as anything other than distracting bad direction. I'd be glad to be educated if there's something more meaningful behind this.

I'd need some more context to comment on the imagery, but in general terms a reversed image generally means that the situation that the characters are dealing in has been inverted, flipped onto it's head, as it were.

Tanken Driland: Sennen no Mahou 01

1Xlf2BVl.jpg

It's a drill and a sword, a drillsword. You got nothing on this Squall.

Huh, that was entertaining. It's pretty much your standard young kid with big dreams go on an adventure show but it's done decently enough where nothing about it bothers me. The main character isn't bad and provides a good joke at times, it doesn't really drag anywhere in the plot, the characters all seem fun and provide good dialogue between them.

It has a certain type of charm that makes me want to keep watching now.

CorvoSol

ZZ Gundam 17

Best Girl Roux Louka gets to pilot the best UC Gundam Zeta Gundam. Meanwhile Chara attempts to persuade Judau with her feminine wiles. And I guess the Argama just got a mega colony laser or something.

Glasses girl better not be the inspiration for AGE's moechanic.

Narag

I'd need some more context to comment on the imagery, but in general terms a reversed image generally means that the situation that the characters are dealing in has been inverted, flipped onto it's head, as it were.

That makes quite a bit of sense as something was offered by one party to the other that changed the negotiation entirely. Thanks.

Hyouge Mono 6

No clue why they showed this upside down. It's in the middle of tense negotiations and I'm not familiar enough with the language of film and whatnot to see it as anything other than distracting bad direction. I'd be glad to be educated if there's something more meaningful behind this.

Even in his pre-Bee Train days, Koichi Mashimo displayed a fondness for crazy nonsensical tilted camera angles.

nNeR3.jpg

Dirty Pair: Project Eden

zXc4tt9.jpg

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

I haven't seen the Hyouge Mono episode in question, but I did see the first episode and there was a similar ridiculously tilted angle that stuck out to me in a negative way. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to them beyond "I think this looks cool."

Brave10 doesn't count.

Well there isn't that many sengoku shows anyway outside of what's recently aired. Though I still haven't seen Tono to Issho yet.

I did just learn that Inazuma Eleven has a character named Nobunaga and now I must see that now too:

Just realized the Yukimura I mentioned was another Megumi Ogata role. No wonder I like it. :lol

Also let us not forget:

I still_need_to see that as well.

cajunator

Banned
Going back to something I posted several hours ago...thanks for the comments on what I should watch first. I guess I'll start with either Simoun and/or Moribito and see if I can get episodic or at least general impressions going.

Simoun is pretty decent. Its an interesting story and world with a bit of fake yuri for the fun of it but still ends up being pretty straightforward. The simoun machines are the worst cg ever but this is a show with heart.

Chuu2 S2 stuff:

Might turn out to be not completely shit like the first season.

Oh hell yes!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This discussion reminds me that my anime white whale is Examurai Sengoku/Exile Generation. I've always wanted to watch it because the premise seemed like a hilariously terrible ego trip, but not only is it not available in English, but I can't even find Japanese DVDs for it. It's like it never even existed.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Even in his pre-Bee Train days, Koichi Mashimo displayed a fondness for crazy nonsensical tilted camera angles.

I haven't seen the Hyouge Mono episode in question, but I did see the first episode and there was a similar ridiculously tilted angle that stuck out to me in a negative way. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to them beyond "I think this looks cool."
That Project Eden shot works because of the heels

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah right, but they are not in the show is what I'm saying. :)

Were any of the songs specifically crafted for Utena and not just lifted from Tenjo Sajiki Banyu Inryoku, by the way?
A bunch were. All I know is that ZUM wasn't originally written for Utena, though.

Also, although Julius Arnest Ceaser wrote all the duel related songs, Shinkichi Mitsumune arranged them for the show. OSTs 4 and 7 have J.A. Ceaser arrangements and sound rather different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom