• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 02

SBHIkFI.png
akZ6YGV.png

Signum is fuck awesome and super over powered. I love the voice of her sword too: "EXPLOSION!"

I got slightly worried when
a fucking hand came out of Nanoha's chest. I thought I was going to witness some table turning shenanigans where one of the main leads gets killed early in the show. :lol
Here's hoping Nanoha and Fate can step their game up as their work is seriously cut out for them in regards to dealing with those four newcomers. Also, they improved on their fight scenes. :D Good stuff.

I would be fine if Free turned into a Slam Dunk! where the brolust is in the fangirls' minds rather than a Kuroko where the brolust is explicit.

I mean, there's a way to appeal to fangirls while being discreet about it. Let's hope they take that path.
Everything needs to be Kuroko. Everything

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We're already getting fanfiction and it hasn't even aired yet!

:DTL

---

Speaking of which, I'm curious, did anyone finish Red Data Girl? I think DTL was watching it, but I'm not sure.

I gave it a shot, since I do like the PA Works bean faces, and I watched the last episode... but after Sasami-san, I just couldn't handle another show steeped in Japanese mythology.

I'm wondering if it turned out well... because if I understood the finale, there is some kind of deep sibling-bond that is approaching incest, but with a dead ghost twin. Yep. *whoosh*, right over my head. lol

cajunator

Banned
I don't think I've seen any cars yet in Utena.

Only you truly understand the genius of my posting strategy, cajun.

I feel like we are on similar wavelengths Corvy kun.

Signum is fuck awesome and super over powered. I love the voice of her sword too: "EXPLOSION!"

a fucking hand came out of Nanoha's chest. I thought I was going to witness some table turning shenanigans where one of the main leads gets killed early in the show. :lol
Here's hoping Nanoha and Fate can step their game up as their work is seriously cut out for them in regards to dealing with those four newcomers. Also, they improved on their fight scenes. :D Good stuff.

Every episode is pretty much like that..but mostly better.

Round 2 with Signum and co will be amazing.

survivor

Banned
Speaking of which, I'm curious, did anyone finish Red Data Girl? I think DTL was watching it, but I'm not sure.

I gave it a shot, since I do like the PA Works bean faces, and I watched the last episode... but after Sasami-san, I just couldn't handle another show steeped in Japanese mythology.

I'm wondering if it turned out well... because if I understood the finale, there is some kind of deep sibling-bond that is approaching incest, but with a dead ghost twin. Yep. *whoosh*, right over my head. lol

dakkumauji was also watching it.

I'm curious to see if turned out to be anything decent too cause I dropped it after the first episode guessing that it would have ended in disappointment.

Sucks to be me watching 1 ep a week since years.

I bet. What will it take to get another anomaly in Precure?

Ojamajo Doremi 16

Uhhh jesus christ Pop. Jesus Christ Pop. YOU'RE IN KINDERGARTEN AND DATING OTHER BOYS!? On top of that, TWO OF THEM! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. What is her real age, and how come cooties don't exist in this universe?

Doremi's in love again with Daddy's fishing partner, who brings his dad along to not approve of his hobby. Which starts off badly because Majo Rica was hoarding all of them for being ditched at the shop. Lots of Father/Spawn bonding and Doremi gets a shot at confessing..
too bad he has a girlfriend. On top of that, Hadzuki and Ai spites her with heart shaped fireworks unintentionally.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dakkumauji was also watching it.

I'm curious to see if turned out to be anything decent too cause I dropped it after the first episode guessing that it would have ended in disappointment.

Yeah, I'm wondering if my interest waned because of the material rather than the show itself.
It seems like PA Works is doing another supernatural/mythological show next season as well... which I guess probably doesn't bode well for me keeping up with it.

The finale had a few nice cuts anyway, for what that's worth. Also bean faces.

Red Data Girl 12

I do feel like this show tried to do many things at once. If it just really focused on one thing like the romance between the two leads, the whole triplet story or the whole supernatural thing it would have been pretty great.

But instead doing all of this at once kinda left it as a mess in trying to follow.

I dug up my post just for you.

But I guess my main complaint was that the story wasn't engaging enough for me to be really invested into it. It had a decent idea and decent plot points here and there with the whole development of the main girl going out into the wide world and the whole Shinto mythology but didn't really match the amount of development I wanted to reach.

It didn't go crazy into the mythology like Sasami-san, the development of the girl fell one step too short to be satisfying and instead makes me feel like I wish they took the next step with this.

survivor

Banned
Yeah, I'm wondering if my interest waned because of the material rather than the show itself.
It seems like PA Works is doing another supernatural/mythological show next season as well... which I guess probably doesn't bode well for me keeping up with it.

The finale had a few nice cuts anyway, for what that's worth. Also bean faces.

Well it's an adaptation of a novel by the writer of Tatami Galaxy. That alone makes me more excited about it than RDG.

:DTL

---

DTL said:
At the end of the day it was just an ending but felt kind of open, as if there are still many more tales that could be told and tons more that could be detailed in their day to day life at the academy, stuff with spirits, and of course all things dealing with the Himigami(sp?). This episode had action and was one of the more gripping episode of the bunch. I think it did highlight one of the flaws of the anime. Most of the episodes were pretty with great backgrounds and what not but several times it was more style and clean gorgeous art and backgrounds over story. There was some development but it felt minimal and really confined to some characters. There was great comedy at times, and the various arcs did provide good climax moments, but I think overall in terms of story it was alright but could have been done a bit better with more feeling and something given to make most people care about it. 7 / 10, for Manatsu, Masumi, Sagara were excellent designs, female lead had her moments
when she awakens and gets realization in episode 11...but then still needs to be saved in 12, so it was kind of odd to go back on that aspect of her character
, and just looking good at times. I don't know if I would buy or not.

I dont think there was incest...
Since Masumi only liked the RDG

Mushibugyo - 05

This episode wasn't bad but i don't like how the main character was ripped of his victory because useless servant here

Couldn't just clear the space and flee and instead stayed in the vicinity of the fight ..
I know this was made for the plot but they better start giving some victories to the hero , otherwise i'll be quite disapointed

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dug up my post just for you.

But I guess my main complaint was that the story wasn't engaging enough for me to be really invested into it. It had a decent idea and decent plot points here and there with the whole development of the main girl going out into the wide world and the whole Shinto mythology but didn't really match the amount of development I wanted to reach.

It didn't go crazy into the mythology like Sasami-san, the development of the girl fell one step too short to be satisfying and instead makes me feel like I wish they took the next step with this.

Hrm, fair enough. So was the triplet thing really some weird incest thing? lol

I think I gave up when the school turned into Japanese Harry Potter and there were just more and more plot elements being dumped into the show.

Well it's an adaptation of a novel by the writer of Tatami Galaxy. That alone makes me more excited about it than RDG.

Well, there's that. Bean face Tatami Galaxy.

Hrm, fair enough. So was the triplet thing really some weird incest thing? lol

I think I gave up when the school turned into Japanese Harry Potter and there were just more and more plot elements being dumped into the show.

Uh, not so much. Maybe. Who knows.

I did enjoy when they shifted to the school since it added more energy to the show. Then I regretted it when they started throwing more plot into it and not really doing anything with them.

Syrinx

Hyouka 10

So...wait...I get how that whole twist worked and all...
but where could they have possibly gone with that? I mean, like that girl said, it would be obvious who killed him after they thought about the situation for five minutes. And I get the "it doesn't matter if the characters can notice it as long as the audience doesn't" thing...but the way the screening seemed, they just said, "Okay, it couldn't have been any of us, so it had to have been you!' Like they just figured it out after they discovered the body. You can't have the major twist occur literally right after the major event. That sucks. You don't get time to care, or really even think, about what happened. It's just "Oh, guy's dead! Who did it? Oh, the cameraman? Okay." And then bam, movie over. Twists need to come after at least some setup.

But as Mayaka points out at the end, Oreki forgot something. So he may have been wrong! Now that's a twist.

Edit: That girl's scream in the movie gets me every time.

Hyouka 10

but where could they have possibly gone with that? I mean, like that girl said, it would be obvious who killed him after they thought about the situation for five minutes. And I get the "it doesn't matter if the characters can notice it as long as the audience doesn't" thing...but the way the screening seemed, they just said, "Okay, it couldn't have been any of us, so it had to have been you!' Like they just figured it out after they discovered the body. You can't have the major twist occur literally right after the major event. That sucks. You don't get time to care, or really even think, about what happened. It's just "Oh, guy's dead! Who did it? Oh, the cameraman? Okay." And then bam, movie over. Twists need to come after at least some setup.

But as Mayaka points out at the end, Oreki forgot something. So he may have been wrong! Now that's a twist.

Don't worry,
the actual movie ending is even stupider.

Shergal

Hyouka 10

The more important thing he overlooked is
how in the world would the actors and camerawork be intentionally that way if nobody knew who the culprit was while shooting the film?

Mushibugyo - 06

Ah AH AH Ah

BEWARE OF MOSQUITOS !

No seriously , i welcome those bit of information on the "real plot" but heck , this better be good.

Madoka Magica 3

Now THIS is the show I was expecting. Well, by the end it was. The beginning 2/3 were as boring as the last two episodes.

Ok, so let's see how I've done on my prediction list from last time.

Bad mother? She comes home drunk, so yep on that one. I knew she was a bad role model, but she only is getting worse

Mami dying? Saw that one coming, too. Didn't think it'd come that quickly, though. It wasn't hard to see coming. Death flags abound, but oh boy was that death brutal. What's worse, you can say she died because she was finally not alone. She was so excited to have friends, she got careless and lost her head.

Evil catbbit? Sure seems like it, still. It's remarkably pushy. It's desperately wants to push these girls into deathly situations. And its reaction to Mami's death? Nothing at all. No remorse, no surprise, no facial emotions. It just pushes the other girls harder to get a replacement. That thing is evil, kill it with fire

The stage is now completely set for the show to be what it's going to be. I really appreciate that. Now, I hope it invests in making its characters more likable. All these situations mean nothing if I don't like the characters, which right now I don't particularly.

One question I have to ask. I don't think the answer will spoil anything, but don't bother answering it if it does.
Are there any limits on what these girls can wish for? What would stop Madoka from wishing for Mami's death to be undone? I assume that'll be answered next episode, but I'm going to be really annoyed if they sweep it under the rug.

Told you it was like recent HxH events :D

Here's a chart I was shown when I was watching this show for the first time. I assure you it is very accurate.

Branduil

When I do occasionally ask for recommendations from people I generally stress that I don't want: a warrior on a quest to power himself up and fight bigger bad guys; I have less than zero interest in badass military or mecha gear; I don't like nonsense pseudo-philosophical stuff; the supernatural; no big hair or ridiculous, campy character designs; no teen-oriented relationship stuff; no shrill or high pitched noises, a few other things. I also don't have any cultural attachment to Japan as a setting so unless it is brought to life in a really novel or interesting way (I loved Paprika, for example--I don't know if anime films count as anime for the purposes of this thread). So I feel like there are a lot of major themes don't really connect with me. That's cool though, I also don't like pro sports or whatever, live and let live.

Okay, so real recommendations for real now:

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

A story about a mother and how she takes care of her very unusual children, from the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Features great use of editing and montage, and tells a beautiful story about being a parent.

Time of Eve

Independently produced by director Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Studio Rikka, Time of Eve is a science fiction story about a near future in which robots and humans coexist. Normally, robots are treated as property and must wear a ring above their heads at all times to signify their status, but at a certain cafe robots and humans mingle indistinguishably. Time of Eve separates itself from the norm with its unusually serious treatment of its themes, and Yoshiura is unusually talented at blending traditional animation with CGI.

It's available in both OVA and movie format. The movie has additional scenes not present in the series.

The Wings of Honneamise

Gainax's most mature work, Honneamise has a well-earned scifi classic status. Featuring one of the most intricately and thoroughly well-thought-out worlds, it tells the story of the space race in an alternate Earth filled with entirely different, though vaguely familiar cultures. But what really makes the story work is that the characters and the world they inhabit is just as complicated and flawed as ours. It examines in depth the question of whether or not it's possible for humanity to better itself when even its grandest plans are borne from selfish motives. It's also full of stunningly beautiful art.

Haibane Renmei

A thoughtful and contemplative series examining religious and spiritual themes. It tells the story of Rakka, a girl who wakes up with no memories in a town called Glie, where she meets the Haibane, angelic-like adolescents with halos and charcoal-gray wings. She discovers she herself is also a Haibane, and attempts to discover the truth of her past and the world she now lives in, a walled-in rural countryside where humans and Haibane live peacefully, but none are allowed to leave.

Accompanied by Kou Otani's masterful, moody score, Haibane Renmei grapples with a number of serious and somber themes without losing the warm touches of humanity and laughter that make it enjoyable to watch.

Bunny Drop

A touching series about a salaryman who unexpectedly becomes a single father, and the trials and joys he experiences as he discovers what it means to raise a child.

The Tatami Galaxy

This one might be a bit out there, but it does feature breakneck dialogue, surreal imagery, and heartfelt comedy. Might as well give it a shot.

Monster

A serial thriller set in '90s Germany, it tells the story of a genius Japanese brain surgeon and the boy he regrets saving. Starring Mumei's avatar.

Andrew J.

Nah, you're fine and I actually think that this is just about word for word what I've come to believe. Heartcatch was my first Precure and my first magical girl anime, and even then I originally only tried it because of Umakoshi since I adored Casshern Sins. I tried it with a lot of trepidation thanks to having a really distorted concept of what magical girl anime entailed thanks to the pedo-tastic genre parodies in a lot of otaku shows, but, like you, the innocent fun was a revelation for me--something that I'd completely forgotten that anime was capable of--and the color, optimism, energy, and guilt-free enjoyment was just the thing that I needed at a really really dark time in my life. I was severely mentally unstable when I marathoned Heartcatch, and I honestly credit it with getting me out of that; perhaps this is why I developed an attachment to the franchise that transcended the actual quality of what I was watching. It's probably the same reason that I watched all of Bleach even though I only really liked Soul Society at a formative time in my youth.

Looking back, though? I trust my own critical faculties enough to be able to say that, my bias for Heartcatch aside, it is an anomaly in a franchise that is, for the most part, perfunctory, unengaging to the adult mind, aesthetically horrifying, creatively and artistically bankrupt, and disgusting in how deeply the need to encourage empty consumerism in small children is woven into the very fabric of the material. All seasons have individual episodes that are good, but most of the reason for my recent meltdown over the remarks on the high incidence of Precure discussion in the thread is that I finally allowed myself to accept that, other than Heartcatch, none of the other seasons are enjoyable in their entirety, and so I've felt terrible regret for aggressively pimping it for so long. Even Smile, which I typically gushed over while it aired, seems not that great in retrospect. I don't really regret watching it all, but I'll never again encourage anyone else to. I'm being honest with myself so that I can be honest with other people, and I kind of hope that eventually "Precure" won't be the first thing that comes to others' minds in association with me.

I can only speak for myself here, but I enjoyed every episode of Smile (well, except maybe the one with the comedians). So if you're trying to apologize for convincing me to watch it, then consider that apology NOT ACCEPTED.

wonzo

Banned
rip risette (╯︵╰,) (╯︵╰,) (╯︵╰,) (╯︵╰,) (╯︵╰,)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uh, not so much. Maybe. Who knows.

I did enjoy when they shifted to the school since it added more energy to the show. Then I regretted it when they started throwing more plot into it and not really doing anything with them.

Triplet incest is best incest, etc.

And yeah, it got so plot heavy when Japanese magic school happened that I just didn't want to keep up. Ah well.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Here's a chart I was shown when I was watching this show for the first time. I assure you it is very accurate.

Oh man, I am both hype that I'm in the peak season of the series yet sad that to see that StrikerS got low ratings for the majority of its run.

=================================

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 03

A little down time episode with some info dumps after the last two action packed ones that came before it. Looks like both Nanoha and Fate's weapons want to get in on
that cartridge action? New power ups maybe? :D

Narag

Samurai Deeper Kyo 3

uTtAndZl.png
fF9aioGl.png

AQyOIxtl.png
nU4wUitl.png

Is :deen a thing? It should be.

dIL5Hqll.png
TIkVU70l.png

Kenyou art runs this gamut of weird to ugly. Looking at it nowadays, I half wonder if it's referential to pre-existing stuff due to the lack of coherence.

Meh ep per the norm aside from the farther reaching hooks at the end. Villains come and go so fast its hard to give a shit and the samurai's daughter stuff didn't feel resolved. Tha might come next ep though.

One neat part is [Series Spoiler]:
is the scene where Kyoshiro is forced to take up a sword and he's struggling to draw it. At face value, it's portrayed as outright cowardice yet it's actually a bit of foreshadowing of the future reveal of him turning his back on violence and him struggling to go back down that road. There's also some hinting at Kyoshiro's true strength that doesn't get addressed for another 8-9 episodes iirc.
It's nice that much is working for it despite all the other things that aren't.

Nah, you're fine and I actually think that this is just about word for word what I've come to believe. Heartcatch was my first Precure and my first magical girl anime, and even then I originally only tried it because of Umakoshi since I adored Casshern Sins. I tried it with a lot of trepidation thanks to having a really distorted concept of what magical girl anime entailed thanks to the pedo-tastic genre parodies in a lot of otaku shows, but, like you, the innocent fun was a revelation for me--something that I'd completely forgotten that anime was capable of--and the color, optimism, energy, and guilt-free enjoyment was just the thing that I needed at a really really dark time in my life. I was severely mentally unstable when I marathoned Heartcatch, and I honestly credit it with getting me out of that; perhaps this is why I developed an attachment to the franchise that transcended the actual quality of what I was watching. It's probably the same reason that I watched all of Bleach even though I only really liked Soul Society at a formative time in my youth.

Looking back, though? I trust my own critical faculties enough to be able to say that, my bias for Heartcatch aside, it is an anomaly in a franchise that is, for the most part, perfunctory, unengaging to the adult mind, aesthetically horrifying, creatively and artistically bankrupt, and disgusting in how deeply the need to encourage empty consumerism in small children is woven into the very fabric of the material. All seasons have individual episodes that are good, but most of the reason for my recent meltdown over the remarks on the high incidence of Precure discussion in the thread is that I finally allowed myself to accept that, other than Heartcatch, none of the other seasons are enjoyable in their entirety, and so I've felt terrible regret for aggressively pimping it for so long. Even Smile, which I typically gushed over while it aired, seems not that great in retrospect. I don't really regret watching it all, but I'll never again encourage anyone else to. I'm being honest with myself so that I can be honest with other people, and I kind of hope that eventually "Precure" won't be the first thing that comes to others' minds in association with me.

Jewelpet for the superior current little girl franchise!

Narag

Glass Fleet is about what happened when Gonzo tried to make an epic space opera.

I still can't tell if it's supposed to have a degree of parody to it. One death scene is just utterly hammed up which I didn't think was possible in this manner given the control animation offered. Perhaps that's part of the genius.

I umm.....I need to see this.
Is there any hair down dekomori?

I know. I often wake up or leave work to 5-6 extra pages.
Lately it has doubles. Im currently a page behind but if stuff gets crazy here at work it could become half a dozen easily. I read every post so its an exhausting process.

See now these are gifs you CAN post :)

ib2A5X7aD64zxo.gif

happy inside.

Branduil

I still can't tell if it's supposed to have a degree of parody to it. One death scene is just utterly hammed up which I didn't think was possible in this manner given the control animation offered. Perhaps that's part of the genius.

I'm pretty sure it's deadly earnest.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - Episode 1

Ok so umm... I don't even... what did I just watch?
Holy crap this episode just freaked me out after coming from Kai. The doctor, Keichii, the cop, and the photographer just spent half the episode having daydreams of each girl doing something embarrassing. Rika is cleaning windows with her bum, Rena is feeding Keichii yogurt in a maid outfit, and Shion... poor Shion. This whole episode was just ecchi on a silver platter. At least during the end of the episode there was a few seconds of the old Higurashi crazy's, but I'm disappointed.

I guess since I started it I'll finish it but geez they went all out with this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom