• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
ib2A5X7aD64zxo.gif

happy inside.

Sugoi sugoi.

I can only speak for myself here, but I enjoyed every episode of Smile (well, except maybe the one with the comedians). So if you're trying to apologize for convincing me to watch it, then consider that apology NOT ACCEPTED.

Just a quick word to say that unlike mad pierrot analysis on the precure franchise ( that isn't entirely wrong ) i think that splash star as well as heartcatch are season that are good in their entirety !
The other seasons are quite flawed ( and have serious lowdowntimes )

-----------------
Mushibugyo - 07

WTF

WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST WATCH ?

Mushibugyo%20-%2007.jpg

What in the flying f*ck is this ?

The setting of this anime is really hard to take seriously , but after this episode it's just impossible !

You're telling me that EVERY YEAR , every summer , there is something like that attacking ? How the heck does that works ? what about reconstruction ? what about the populace ? Are you telling me that every freaking year , there are no injuries and no deaths ?

What about the building ? what about reconstruction ?
How the heck is the insect magistrate not facing any critiscim ?

How the hell does everything works ?
How the heck were they managing without nagai during all the previous year where he wasn't there .?

Also , about the hikkikomori, i know he spend a lot of time in his room , but how the hell something like that is not common knowledge (even to him ? )

How the heck is half the freaking country isolated and none of the populace knows about it ? Is nobody even travelling ?

I mean there are ^plenty of things wrong in this show ...so far it's alright because it's entertaining , but i'm glad i can try as much as possible to turn my brain and enjoy the show because , no matter how you spin - it, and despite teh fact that it's fantasy ... all of the above is quite hard to accept , as it is.

While I generally disagree with the StrikerS downturn (It was my favorite, after all), it really did pick up in a big way those last few episodes.

I've made my disappointment of StrikerS established, but I completely agree that the last few episodes were great even if I can't look at the majority of the other episodes the same way.

Oh man, I am both hype that I'm in the peak season of the series yet sad that to see that StrikerS got low ratings for the majority of its run.

Don't be.

If you're watching strikers like i did .( and i'm pretty sure you will )

You will LOVE the entire second half...

BUt it's not strikers Time yet, you're still in A's !

Dead

well not really...yet
I actually watched some of strikers despite never watching the other series for some reason, and I remember how hilariously overhauled the animation was for the DVDs. Like some episodes were almost competely reanimated. It was ridiculous haha.

I actually watched some of strikers despite never watching the other series for some reason, and I remember how hilariously overhauled the animation was for the DVDs. Like some episodes were almost competely reanimated. It was ridiculous haha.

Yeah Dvd version is the way to go.. everything is just better in them.

Tv version is like an alpha version that was released by mistake.

CorvoSol

I feel like we are on similar wavelengths Corvy kun.

I'm still not gonna Uke for you, Cajun. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find an asian to draw my DTL x SDBurton fanfiction which causes the elemental structure of animeGAF to melt.

Someone dun goofed.
iejICU7PEJoCG.png

This thing looks like a purple Iron Man. Real Talk.

Too sweaty!

No no no. That isn't sweat. She's covered in the literal tears of all those who opposed her inclusion in Smash.

AnimeGAF watching SAO:

Haha, that otter's face is my exact reaction to this show. I am partial to the following clip from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

If I had Sunhi's GIF skills, I would make this happen.

Okay, so real recommendations for real now:

Time of Eve
Independently produced by director Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Studio Rikka, Time of Eve is a science fiction story about a near future in which robots and humans coexist. Normally, robots are treated as property and must wear a ring above their heads at all times to signify their status, but at a certain cafe robots and humans mingle indistinguishably. Time of Eve separates itself from the norm with its unusually serious treatment of its themes, and Yoshiura is unusually talented at blending traditional animation with CGI.

It's available in both OVA and movie format. The movie has additional scenes not present in the series.

I've been hearing about this and thinking about watching it, because while not giant, I've been a fan of the Robot megagenre since I first read Asimov's work as a kid.
Bunny Drop
A touching series about a salaryman who unexpectedly becomes a single father, and the trials and joys he experiences as he discovers what it means to raise a child.

I'm also pretty interested in this one, if only because its unique concept.

CORVO YOU LIE

ALL THEY REVEALED WAS INTERNET ACCESS (which is totally cool too)

Mwahahaha! There will always, always be next Conference.

Glass Fleet is about what happened when Gonzo tried to make an epic space opera.

This show sounds straight up crazy.

yami4ct

Madoka Magica 5

Might as well keep writing these as I watch the show. Not going to lie, I thought this episode was pretty damn mediocre. It started well. We see all the stuff that happens after
Sayaka heals the kids hands with her wish
. Those were some really good moments. Still thinking I'm right that the
wish will have repercussions. The tune the kid played was a very sad one and he was hesitant to take the violin. He doesn't seem all too thrilled with the miracle healed.

Other than that, meh. We got a new girl, but I think she's pretty terrible. Really cliche rival personality, ugly design. Her damn fang teeth creep me out. She feels right out of something like Kamen Rider. Do not want at all. Hope she undergoes major character changes or goes away soon.

Also, god dang catbbit was creepy as hell in the opening scene when he
reached into Sayaka's chest and pulled out her soul stone.
Also, they really need to stop focusing on his expressionless face and dead eyes. Freaks me out too much.

CorvoSol

Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

I used to eat Asimov up. The entire Foundation series, and his Robots series. When I saw The Big O and the show used motifs from the Robots series (humanity being centered in cities with the outside dome areas being largely abandoned) and called Dorothy R. Dorothy, I swooned.

Also the Faded Sun. I loved the Faded Sun series as a kid.

I've never quite found a space opera series I really like since, though. Not as a book, anyway.

Syrinx

Corvo, please please please please PLEASE don't start Glass Fleet til I'm done. Then all my impressions will pale in comparison to yours.

CorvoSol

Corvo, please please please please PLEASE don't start Glass Fleet til I'm done. Then all my impressions will pale in comparison to yours.

Haha, its in my backlog. I'm trying to cut down to three or four shows, not counting the ones currently airing. Utena is currently the one I'm, I dunno, "Groupwatching"? Then there's Classic Gundam Hour (which is actually currently new stuff because of Unicorn). Slayers Try will be wrapping up, at which point I'll have a free slot for not mech stuff, and G Gundam is occupying the "Not Classic Mecha" slot. When it ends I'll be moving on to Turn A Gundam since the NCM is also the Not UC Gundam slot.

Mushibugyo - 08

After all the nonsense that was going on it's nice to have an episode that isn't afraid to go full nonsense for the comedy.

So Mitsuki want info and decides to sneak as a spy and extract the info from the main characters and choose our MC because , he's the easiest target .

She couldn't have predicted the sheer amount of work and challenge required when you have THIS

Mushibugyo%20-%2008_02.jpg

A rival !

and the sheer amount of goodwill and trust that comes from our main character.
This is something else, without a doubt

And of course the end result is this :

Mushibugyo%20-%2008_03.jpg

VEEERRRRY DUMB

The end result is trully spectacular..

But now i guess the happy days are over because we're back for more action in the next episode ...Can't wait.

yami4ct

Trying to read the Madoka OT in real time after I watch each episode is going to be.....tricky. I've not gotten spoiled yet, though. You people and not clearly marking what episode you're on so I know when to stop reading!

Trying to read the Madoka OT in real time after I watch each episode is going to be.....tricky. I've not gotten spoiled yet, though. You people and not clearly marking what episode you're on so I know when to stop reading!

I did this a while back actually. I paid attention to the dates though.

cajunator

Banned
Hentai Ouji - 11

Hilarious and absolutely heartbreaking.

;_;

But its adorable at the same time.

It's not about the mysteries, you're watching it wrong, etc etc etc

Its all about dat Misaki!

AnimeGAF watching SAO:

That is so hilariously accurate.

Okay, so real recommendations for real now:

The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

A story about a mother and how she takes care of her very unusual children, from the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Features great use of editing and montage, and tells a beautiful story about being a parent.

Time of Eve

Independently produced by director Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Studio Rikka, Time of Eve is a science fiction story about a near future in which robots and humans coexist. Normally, robots are treated as property and must wear a ring above their heads at all times to signify their status, but at a certain cafe robots and humans mingle indistinguishably. Time of Eve separates itself from the norm with its unusually serious treatment of its themes, and Yoshiura is unusually talented at blending traditional animation with CGI.

It's available in both OVA and movie format. The movie has additional scenes not present in the series.

The Wings of Honneamise

Gainax's most mature work, Honneamise has a well-earned scifi classic status. Featuring one of the most intricately and thoroughly well-thought-out worlds, it tells the story of the space race in an alternate Earth filled with entirely different, though vaguely familiar cultures. But what really makes the story work is that the characters and the world they inhabit is just as complicated and flawed as ours. It examines in depth the question of whether or not it's possible for humanity to better itself when even its grandest plans are borne from selfish motives. It's also full of stunningly beautiful art.

Haibane Renmei

A thoughtful and contemplative series examining religious and spiritual themes. It tells the story of Rakka, a girl who wakes up with no memories in a town called Glie, where she meets the Haibane, angelic-like adolescents with halos and charcoal-gray wings. She discovers she herself is also a Haibane, and attempts to discover the truth of her past and the world she now lives in, a walled-in rural countryside where humans and Haibane live peacefully, but none are allowed to leave.

Accompanied by Kou Otani's masterful, moody score, Haibane Renmei grapples with a number of serious and somber themes without losing the warm touches of humanity and laughter that make it enjoyable to watch.

Bunny Drop

A touching series about a salaryman who unexpectedly becomes a single father, and the trials and joys he experiences as he discovers what it means to raise a child.

The Tatami Galaxy

This one might be a bit out there, but it does feature breakneck dialogue, surreal imagery, and heartfelt comedy. Might as well give it a shot.

Monster

A serial thriller set in '90s Germany, it tells the story of a genius Japanese brain surgeon and the boy he regrets saving. Starring Mumei's avatar.

Of these Haibane Renmei and Millennium Actress are the very best.

ib2A5X7aD64zxo.gif

happy inside.

An undulation is fine too.

Syrinx

Date a Live 4

Oh, so Origami does remember him asking her out. Sorry girl, but shooting a guy in the head is solid grounds for a breakup. Now why he doesn't realize this...I don't know. It's not like he has to keep her happy or anything.

This "training" of his is dumb. How to handle a girl being in the bathroom. Answer: KNOCK IF THE DOOR IS CLOSED! Everyone knows that. If you have to be trained to do that,, you're probably four years old. Or you're an idiot. Anyway, I don't know what he was supposed to learn in that whole thing with the bathtub. I guess "If you see a girl undressing to get in the tub, give them a heads up that you're there"?

How come his teacher just let him leave and not go into the shelter? I'm pretty sure she'd be responsible if anything happened to him. And how come Tohka was just able to leave the shelter? Don't they have somebody who's there to say "Hey you can't leave, this is an emergency"?

Important part is she did leave and saw Shido with that other Spirit. So this show, unlike other harems I've seen, actually will have the main character get into situations like this, where they become upset. Huh. For a second there I didn't think they'd do that. But it'll probably end in blue-haired girl and her stuffed bunny (guy meant business) moving in with them. so they'll have to juggle that...yeah I'm not sure this show will even bother at that point.

Fuck this, I'm hooked. Who needs sense and quality?

yami4ct

Reading the Madoka OT, I am not alone in my opinion of catbbit. Good, good. That thing'll eat your soul. Also, think I've decided not to read the OT. Kind of want to make my own theories on this one and not be influenced by outside sources who are smarter/more attentive than me.

jman2050

Reading the Madoka OT, I am not alone in my opinion of catbbit. Good, good. That thing'll eat your soul. Also, think I've decided not to read the OT. Kind of want to make my own theories on this one and not be influenced by outside sources who are smarter/more attentive than me.

(if you're that concerned with future spoilers, don't read this)

As a favorite internet scifi-and-occasionally-anime reviewer of mine would say about it:
Bunnycat's a dick.

Jex

Koi Kaze - Damn. The themes certainly are treated in a way I've not seen before in anime, and I'm glad for that. All the negative aspects of this kind of thing is normally completely ignored, though admittedly I mostly only see this in romcoms/harem comedies so i guess thats not a surprise.

But still I'm really weirded out that I walked away from it thinking that was something of a happy/hopeful ending.

I'm also left wondering if the manga had a third act where we see the whole thing end in a metaphorical car crash.

I don't think there's any need, really. There's a number of signs in the last episode to suggest that it's going to come to a close.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku 01-04

N3zGFgA.jpg

Everyone, buy three copies of the Senyuu BDs!

This does feel Lucky Star-lite in pretty much everything. How it opens (though I keep expecting them to bring me into an awesome OP), the jokes and delivery of them, the background character voices. I am amused by the ED jokes they are doing reflecting on how poor the characters are.

Jex

I don't know how you do it Anime-gaf. This thread is a beast. I have modest curiosity on how folks are reacting to certain eps but everyone has a different viewing schedule, and I step away for like a day and come back to 700+ posts over a dozen different shows. And some folks dont miss a single beat. It's like peeping in on the trading pits at the stock market, but with significantly more siscon.

For reactions that you can follow, some shows have their own threads over in OT which attract varying amounts of attention.

TRIPLE MAGICAL GIRLFRIEND COMBO GET!!

• Birdy The Mighty - Decode 03
I like Tuto. Butler sans are the best.
Aagghhh that cell phone notification tone just reminds me of School Days ):

slime tentacle vampire zombie boss! -- I do like how this series isn't afraid to actually like, kill bad guys.
NO BUTLER SAN I MEAN TUTO
  • AnoNatsu 03
EQDI1Ih.png

Will Smith getting paid today.

Oh yeah. This show has a love triangle. Not this soon!!! ...but thank gosh our protag is actually not the worst person EVER

AGHH I'm getting all sorts of bad flags like SD... ):

...Actually I really want to watch the next episode too, now.
  • This Fun, Innocent Series Is Bleaching School Days Thankfully 04
Awww, their small talk was so cute. Smiles are finally returning.

Oh my heart. <3 ... I'm dreading the end of this series, though.

Remon is so awesome. LOL HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD
Personally I don't care too much if Ichika's acting possessive at this point. Katsura was not the worst character in School Days.

sleepykyo

Mushibugyo 11

What.

What the hell happened to Jinbei?

His super powerful, evil form (w/ Cat Ears!) appeared just like that and started a beatdown on everyone he came across
. And the reason why?
He had a piece of hair from Kuro in his mouth that made him go berserk

I know there's a hint that's not the only reason but I really hope they give out a proper explanation. Hopefully, its not something predictable like involving his dead mother. Also, that CGI use during the battle was hilariously bad. Probably the only thing that really brought down the Ep from the previous one.

And I thought this anime was only 12 episodes? But after seeing the preview and looking around other places, it actually could be more?

Would be good news if true.

I was wondering when they were going to have him go super saiyan/hollow Ichigo. Kind of a shame they couldn't keep him as a relative weakling or give him a less accelerated progression.

Are they any animated titles where the main lead stays second stringer? Off the top of my head I can only think of the first season of Nanoha and Kaleidostar.

Gargantia 12:

mnightshyamalanwhatatwist.jpg

Only one episode left. They're clearly rushing the story now, maybe they shouldn't have wasted so much time earlier on with only a 1-cour run planned.

survivor

Banned
Ok I finished watched the second half of Yuyushiki 11. I think they nailed down the "rainy school day" atmosphere really well. There was some sense of nostalgia of just sitting in class talking about nonsense in a gloomy mood. Didn't think a trashy anime like this could evoke such feelings.

zeroshiki

Speaking of that, my favorite rainy day in school episode is Haruhi S1 Episode 14.

It was just sooo... laid back and a great what might have been for Haruhi if it turned into a SOL anime.

Ok I finished watched the second half of Yuyushiki 11. I think they nailed down the "rainy school day" atmosphere really well. There was some sense of nostalgia of just sitting in class talking about nonsense in a gloomy mood. Didn't think a trashy anime like this could evoke such feelings.

Yuyushiki isn't trashy.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 14

So uhm, hmmmmmm. I mean, Valgaav is dead, and Dabadabadingo is back in his cell in astral prison for like however long. Lina and the gang probably made it out okay, and Gourry's sword is floating out there somewhere. What's left to do for the next 11 episodes?

I'm sure all of this amounts to a Disc One Final Boss, but still, kinda wondering where they go from here. Also I wish this season would end with Xellos x Filia being a thing.

CorvoSol

My only rainy school day memory was my third grade teacher slamming his 1m ruler on my desk for being a little shit. ._.

I remember a teacher getting kicked in the balls in the fourth grade and don't know how this is relevant to your story.

Anyway, rainy day school days made up like, 99% of the school days in the Rainy State where I grew up, so I remember those all too well. Boy did they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom